The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, novakai said:

Depend, there could actually be more stuff yet reveal since the Kruleboyz harpoon RE has not been solved yet and there a different Killaboss variant on the cover of the tome.

also SCE usually get a monsterous Cav unit in all their releases

Good catch with the Killaboss. I'd taken him for an infantry champion but now you mention it he's got the same helmet as the Dominion dude on foot (without the faceplate) and I don't think there's been any tomes where the cover illustration didn't directly tie to a mini.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, novakai said:

Depend, there could actually be more stuff yet reveal since the Kruleboyz harpoon RE has not been solved yet and there a different Killaboss variant on the cover of the tome.

also SCE usually get a monsterous Cav unit in all their releases

I'm hoping that Harpoon is for Ogors!!

It's going to be pretty weird seeing Warclans after this update, given that it'll essentially be "Kruleboyz (and friends)". Their range has got to be nearing the old one in terms of size already, right? And they might still have a few more units on the way.

I can't imagine the Stormcast book getting any thicker, but with the Space Marine codex for 9e as an example, I guess I don't have to

9 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

It's going to be pretty weird seeing Warclans after this update, given that it'll essentially be "Kruleboyz (and friends)". Their range has got to be nearing the old one in terms of size already, right? And they might still have a few more units on the way.

I can't imagine the Stormcast book getting any thicker, but with the Space Marine codex for 9e as an example, I guess I don't have to

Warclans went from a mid size Faction to a chonker with the Kruelboyz release. This is why I'm hoping that Kurnothi joins Sylvaneth and Malerions joins with the Daughters Khaine. 

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

This is kinda true; as of now Ironjawz have 10 unique warscrolls, as do Bonesplitterz (including underworlds warbands). Kruleboyz have 14, with the potential for a few more (Gnashtoof cavalry, Hobgrot hero, etc). Will be interesting to see if or how they balance it out.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised about the reaction to the new dragons. I've been waiting on the edge of my seat since they showed off the vulture mounts for the Kruleboys. I do apologize if my observations are in the wrong place.

Looking at the sculpts for Krondys/Karazai, it feels like dragons have come a very long way since the release of AOS. The Stardrake is blocky and rectangular, with a compact silhouette that hides truncated limbs with little maneuverability under heavy armor plates and closed wings that are only slightly askew. You have the Khorne dragon, whose pose is unusually top heavy. The back feet have no motion, the forelimbs are too short to support the upper body, and it appears to be resting on a ruined building to try and hide that fact. The wings are too small and heavy to ever support it in the air. In both cases, the poses are very restrained and seem to square up.

The new dragons however, are so very different. If I have one complaint about the sculpt, it's that their necks seem a little short. But the mantled wings and the upward pose gives the impression of having just landed on the battlefield. The closest comparison I could make here is Dorghar, and even then they're a little stiff and almost symmetrical. With the new characters, there's weight, motion, and a physical presence here that I don't see in earlier models. The faces are expressive and have supple, flexible features that for lack of a better example, suggests a talkative race akin to Copper dragons in DnD, particularly referencing Todd Lockwood's work. It makes sense for these prominent, sapient characters.

I can only hope that these two are just the start of something more exciting, whether it's just smaller cavalry units, or a full on expansion into a full Draconith faction that can span across every faction, which is what I would love to see. As far as faction related gripes, I'm a little disappointed that, despite not having riders, Behemoths for Stormcast still appear to be locked to only leader spots. It's going to make it harder to shove as many dragons into my list as possible.

Edited by Murder Pancake
Grammar and spelling.
  • Like 19

55 minutes ago, Murder Pancake said:

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised about the reaction to the new dragons. I've been waiting on the edge of my seat since they showed off the vulture mounts for the Kruleboys. I do apologize if my observations are in the wrong place.

Looking at the sculpts for Krondys/Karazai, it feels like dragons have come a very long way since the release of AOS. The Stardrake is blocky and rectangular, with a compact silhouette that hides truncated limbs with little maneuverability under heavy armor plates and closed wings that are only slightly askew. You have the Khorne dragon, whose pose is unusually top heavy. The back feet have no motion, the forelimbs are too short to support the upper body, and it appears to be resting on a ruined building to try and hide that fact. The wings are too small and heavy to ever support it in the air. In both cases, the poses are very restrained and seem to square up.

The new dragons however, are so very different. If I have one complaint about the sculpt, it's that their necks seem a little short. But the mantled wings and the upward pose gives the impression of having just landed on the battlefield. The closest comparison I could make here is Dorghar, and even then they're a little stiff and almost symmetrical. With the new characters, there's weight, motion, and a physical presence here that I don't see in earlier models. The faces are expressive and have supple, flexible features that for lack of a better example, suggests a talkative race akin to Copper dragons in DnD, particularly referencing Todd Lockwood's work. It makes sense for these prominent, sapient characters.

I can only hope that these two are just the start of something more exciting, whether it's just smaller cavalry units, or a full on expansion into a full Draconith faction that can span across every faction, which is what I would love to see. As far as faction related gripes, I'm a little disappointed that, despite not having riders, Behemoths for Stormcast still appear to be locked to only leader spots. It's going to make it harder to shove as many dragons into my list as possible.

I have already attested to my personal love of these models, but I think that people have really strange and specific insights on how sentient imaginary creatures should look and behave. They are really cool  and other than the adornment on Krondys giving me pause, as I want a more neutral aesthetic not tied to a specific faction. As I intend to proxy my dragon into different factions or use it as wild monster for certain scenarios. I might actually magnetize it as I do have a Stormcast army and think it would be cool for their dragon to reflect some of their iconography. I did have a good chuckle at the smile but it was a really positive reaction as I like intelligent dragons with personality. But I think that view is not shared by everyone, hence the smart choice to include alternate albeit more traditional build.

1990081996_DragonSmile.jpg.a3665827467d58a48e1dbc3313c1bd33.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

I was hoping for something a bit less gratuitously chonky and more dynamic but tbh Red isnt too bad. The comedic jewellery blue is wearing means i cant take him seriously though :D

Will probably conceal the giant comet brand though, that feels a bit gross somehow.

Also think they missed an easy representation point by making them brothers instead of brother and sister. Like zero effort dragons get gender equality ;)

• Like 1

I think Karazai is the default sculpt. The pose is much more natural and pleasing, especially the spine. Screenshot_20210727-115352.png.028fe917801d21ad32ba690af3ab6795.png

The twisted head on Krondys is much more jarring.Screenshot_20210727-115520.png.16f5c59f8f77e777f16be9f292759902.png

From the front I think the official photos have done Karazai a disservice. This is the best angle and from here it looks fantastic. Screenshot_20210727-115422.png.c35632af341acd847b838056f9bd8878.png

For Krondys, the designer tilted the body in a more upright position, which is a clever way of getting a bit of variety, added the armour plates and designed a new head.Screenshot_20210727-115603.png.e1cd4dda12dd3623d3b9c3a46f96c32f.png

Despite being pitched as the principle character, Krondys definitely feels like the B model 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Khorne dragon was way too awesome for AoS so it seems.  RIP choppy dude.

I am pretty sure he is not gone yet, it is just an error within the Forgeworld store, they're listing a lot of things as "sold out" when they're just "out of stock". Look at the Dread Saurian for example, the EU/UK store says "Sold Out" if you click on US it says "Out Of Stock". So don't worry to much regarding the Khorne Dragon  🙂

• LOVE IT! 1

Disregarding the salted cabbage of the last few pages is anyone else a bit disappointed that stormcast get these dragons?

I'm hesitate to mention this, lest we give GW any ideas about giving lumineth more models, but traditionally warhammer dragons have been elf units.

I wouldn't have expected idoneth to get a dragon given their sea theme and their "challenging " relationship with animals. DoK, Lumineth and Malerion all seem like candidates though.

Or I would have thought they'd be a great standalone SoB style faction. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look, I gotta be honest...if you *don't* joke about GW's Copyrightfriendly Nonsensenames, there's something odd about your sense of humor. I'm 100% sure even the GW employees who name these things themselves laugh about the absurdity of some of the names they come up with. It's almost an overt joke at this point how it's completely motivated by copyright concerns. They don't actually think these names are better than generic, non-copyrightable equivalents, and there's no reason we need to pretend they do.

If someone comes up with an even funnier, goofier name for a model than what GW came up with and it sticks, more power to them.  The GW employees probably get a good giggle out of the best ones, too. Kruleboyz isn't exactly something you name your new faction because you are being super duper srs. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Disregarding the salted cabbage of the last few pages is anyone else a bit disappointed that stormcast get these dragons?

I'm hesitate to mention this, lest we give GW any ideas about giving lumineth more models, but traditionally warhammer dragons have been elf units.

I wouldn't have expected idoneth to get a dragon given their sea theme and their "challenging " relationship with animals. DoK, Lumineth and Malerion all seem like candidates though.

Comical how tied they are lore-wise to Seraphon only for SCE to swoop in for dibs.
Stormcast taking the chariots too.

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

The text in the community article suggests the red dragon will be available to more armies, maybe all order forces? Or am I reading to much into it? 

I think the red dragon is one of the best dragons GW had done, but it isn’t the perfect dragon. I personally do not like the scar and I would have liked them to be slightly more serpentine. As a long time high elf dragon fan it is great to see some new dragons. But I think the kruleboys won in the monster department. 

7 hours ago, Murder Pancake said:

Krazy is great, Krondys' expression is... weird to put it one way.

Those dragons are almost good. I don't mind the anthropomorphic faces, it's the front arms, they are positioned weirdly and thicker than the wings. I'd give it a 6 on a scale of 10.

Still, except for Smaug (which they didn't design), this is the best dragon they ever made (or all other dragons are worse, whatever you prefer).

About people talking about the new orcs, their name is stupid so I go out of my way never to use that. I love the models, but don't respect the opinion that this should be their name.

For other factions, GW should stop trying to write a novel as their names, and people will use their names. Quit the "long name + superfluous word" meme and more people would actually bother to write it out. I'll also use elves, dwarves, humans, orcs and goblins.

• Like 2