The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

As far as anyone knows, they should basically be the same. TOW appears to be a prequel setting to Warhammer Fantasy of sorts.

It's not a prequel to whfb just going back in the timeline,still we don't know if gw will expand those timelines (for example:campaign book about war of the beard).

Still probably many armies will have differences as being in a earlier timeline than whfb editions,probably the empire will be changed the most. 

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Confused 1

Just now, Snorri Nelriksson said:

It's not a prequel to whfb just going back in the timeline,still we don't know if gw will expand those timelines (for example:campaign book about war of the beard).

I don't want to go off topic too far, but isn't going back in the timeline and exploring events that we have not seen actively play out in the narrative before what a prequel does? Going back in the timeline to a point that before only featured as already concluded history seems like a prequel to me, as far as the narrative is concerned.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mikosan said:

I do wonder how GW is going to overcome the problems with oldhammer?  While I was really into 7th and 8th almost nobody in my group bought models from GW, virtually all were second hand or alternative minis.  Newer ideas like start collecting boxes and the like would be a big help I guess. 

While the settings and rules are carrying over, I don't think the business strategy is the same here.   This is the 30k of fantasy, not a mainline game. I suspect The rules will be expensive. the minis will be incredible and expensive. It will cater to a crowd more willing to spend I think.   A budget minded player without an existing collection is going to go to AoS much more likely than TOW.   A person who wants to do lots of alternative models or conversions is probably more likely to find a home in AoS than TOW (unless they just love TOW setting and have a very specific idea and are trying to stay true to the setting, but those types are less likely to use alternative minis)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't want to go off topic too far, but isn't going back in the timeline and exploring events that we have not seen actively play out in the narrative before what a prequel does? Going back in the timeline to a point that before only featured as already concluded history seems like a prequel to me, as far as the narrative is concerned.

Idk i'd say it's a prequel to AOS but not to Whfb because the old game had also armylists of various timelines, like the war of the beard so "it's not exactly a new timeline because it was already covered"....
But from the Narrative point of view you're right.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

I did not expect classic 28mm scale! Honestly, while a part of me is happy over the news I dread its going to keep the bloat of 8th edition, which meant armies were pricey even with the prices of early 2010s! On the other hand, if this means I can finally complete my Bretonnian army I will be happy. And, maybe we'll get Chaos Dwarves back too? 😳

4 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Because you could realistically predict that 6+ years in the future GW would relaunch the game they abandoned for being commercially not viable.

You’re right. I remember when AoS launched and all Warhammer rules material suddenly dissolved. Burning an army you’d paid for and painted, rather than say, selling it, was the only sensible action.

Edited by RetconnedLegion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Happy for TOW players, myself used to being one of them but besides some cool new minis I have almost zero interest. Especially seeing it is 3 years away at least, again very happy for those interested!! Just not for me. 

Wait until you see the game! 

Imo, I can't wait to see more. I'm not one of the guys that just want to use their old models, I'm more interested in all the new armies (or alternative lists) that we could see with the new WFB pseudo-9th edition.

50 minutes ago, RetconnedLegion said:

You’re right. I remember when AoS launched and all Warhammer rules material suddenly dissolved. Burning an army you’d paid for and painted, rather than say, selling it, was the only sensible action.

This but unironically if you play Chaos.

The sacrifice will bring power to your future actions. I think more people need to consider the possibility that the Word Bearers ethos from 40k is really what wins you tournaments. How many Tzeentch players can show you their old non-Tzeentch armies? That's what I thought.

Edited by Reinholt
  • Haha 1

We know we're in Three Emperors territory at around 2100 thanks to Leon Orcslayer.

That's 400 years prior to Franzyboi and WFB's setting.

I wouldn't expect any of your old favourite characters popping their heads.

Relying how much 'play' then have, we might see baby Teclis and Tyrion in ~2150 - but chances are we're at a point in WFB lore where apart from the gods being worshipped who became much more 'active' in AOS, it'll be much more 'independant' than we're expecting.

At best, expect a lot of nods to Sigmar or Grungi

I saw some people point out that the "hobgoblins, centaurs, and half-orcs" mentioned in the article could be a reference to the Kruleboyz and Kragnos getting backported into Fantasy's setting with different lore, like a reverse of how Fantasy models were brought into AoS. I'm not sure if I think that specifically will happen, but it will be interesting seeing what new models, if any, make it in.

11 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I saw some people point out that the "hobgoblins, centaurs, and half-orcs" mentioned in the article could be a reference to the Kruleboyz and Kragnos getting backported into Fantasy's setting with different lore, like a reverse of how Fantasy models were brought into AoS. I'm not sure if I think that specifically will happen, but it will be interesting seeing what new models, if any, make it in.

Kruelboy spears are all over the place, and the hobgrots have a wide stance on 25's that would probably look award on 20's. So i am not convinced these particular models were designed with TOW in mind. I used to think Gravelords and Lumineth were designed with Old World in mind, but they have similar issues. they won't look great on squares and their weapons will be all tied up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I'm hoping for Chaos Dwarfs(and therefore hobgrots) to be used in both games, and for DA BEARS of Kislev to be brought in some manner to The Mortal Realms. I'm also hoping for the return of LONG LOST NEHEKHARA!!!

2 minutes ago, Ratboy genius said:

Hopefully the return of the old world means that GW will dig out that Isle of Blood box back out of storage and print those not ugly rat ogres again.

I'd kill for GW if they brought back the 8th edition Tomb Kings models they made(Tomb Guard, Necropolis Knights/Sepulchral Stalkers, and of The Necrospinx).

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ratboy genius said:

Hopefully the return of the old world means that GW will dig out that Isle of Blood box back out of storage and print those not ugly rat ogres again.

doesn't help the AoS situation. I'm sure Moulder is due for some love in the next few years (and the rest of Skaven, though Im a bit concerned with how many "waves" it will take. 

8 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

I'm hoping for Chaos Dwarfs(and therefore hobgrots) to be used in both games, 

Careful what you wish for. I think it requires compromise as far as stance/posing. As a hobbiest more than a gamer, I think AoS has some beautiful dynamic models allowed back the fact that models don't have to be touching and the bases are bigger. Personally I think compromising on AoS minis for the handful of people that want to crossplay the models in two games would be unfortunate. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

doesn't help the AoS situation. I'm sure Moulder is due for some love in the next few years (and the rest of Skaven, though Im a bit concerned with how many "waves" it will take. 

I don't expect anything new model wise for skaven, so digging out old ( but massively better) models is something reasonable I'm hoping for

28 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Kruelboy spears are all over the place, and the hobgrots have a wide stance on 25's that would probably look award on 20's. So i am not convinced these particular models were designed with TOW in mind. I used to think Gravelords and Lumineth were designed with Old World in mind, but they have similar issues. they won't look great on squares and their weapons will be all tied up. 

Diagonally, 20mm is 29.8 mm, wider than 25, so it's not impossible, but I do agree it's improbable.

7 hours ago, Sowoky said:

Happy for anyone that still has armies on square bases that was waiting for this bit it looks like TOW will not be for me. Seems like, while you could and still can do square bases in AoS, round bases in TOW really won't work.  Look forward to some sweet models to use in AoS though! 

With the number of models that crossover between the Old World and Age of Sigmar I would be surprised if Games Workshop do not sell movement trays that can be used for round based models in the Old World. If they don't, someone else definately will.

Games Workshop really need to start providing a movement tray as part of a unit box when it finally comes around too as CMON do with A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

With the number of models that crossover between the Old World and Age of Sigmar I would be surprised if Games Workshop do not sell movement trays that can be used for round based models in the Old World. If they don't, someone else definately will.

Games Workshop really need to start providing a movement tray as part of a unit box when it finally comes around too as CMON do with A Song of Ice and Fire.

when your 10 model wide regiment is 10" long and mine is 8" long, doesn't necessarily provide conditions for a fair game. I never played WHFB but I assume that difference would matter. But I am use to AoS where the same ~25% base size difference (25->32) is now basically defining the game (coherency and attack range)

• Like 1

Not sure how they are going to do it, but it could be a good idea for them to release movement trays that have inserts of round or square bases, similar to what conquest does. Have a set standard of sizes for them, and allow for either basing method. Just pondering how they may do it. 

• Like 1