The Rumour Thread

48 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Gw didn't break into your house and steal all your minis or burn your old books. The idea of giving long term evolving rules support  is a pretty new thing in the grand scheme of things. Is there another company that does it better? That's a genuine question. I'm not trying to be rhetorical.

GW pre-end times. True, some armies hadn't received support or were somehow squatted, but Swedish system had rules for them:

https://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/2409/swedish-comp-system-final-document

This is because it was at the core of the game, in part due to GW, in part because that was the culture surrounding it.

And, for many armies, several iterations of their core units coexisted without grief. Dwarves had plenty of reesculpts of the same units, so it created interested layers in collections.

More recently, sisters of battle had a full release re-imagining existing sculpts.

There is no shortage of example of "old GW" and the community supporting via rules old sculpts. It is a modern thing, this systematic squatting. And the community has folded into GW corporate to a large extent, with ITC merging in, and so on. We no longer have external patches to fix egregious issues.

• Like 1

They squatted the entire fantasy battle. We can go fractal and mention armies and specific units of what left and what stayed, what has been placeholder, but fundamentally aos isn't a different version of whfb. Aos isn't meant to support battle. 

The idea of decades of miniatures collection being playable is great. But at the same time no one promised you that blister of metal dwarves you bought in 92 will be supported for games 30 years later by the same corporate entity. 

Edited by ian0delond
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, ian0delond said:

The idea of decades of miniatures collection being playable is great. But at the same time no one promised you that blister of metal dwarves you bought in 92 will be supported for games 30 years later by the same corporate entity. 

Or, apparently, that collection of FW sculpts they still sold last year for hundreds of $, a line started in 2016.

I do miss proper gryphons, still hoping for centaurs and hybrids of all types:

• Bull + dwarf = awesome chorf.
  • Horse + humanoid = awesome Kurnothi
  • Horse + eagle = hippogryh
  • Goat + humanoid = awesome Kornothi

and so on. I really liked the vampire lady (I know it was hated among some).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

That is an internal consideration of GW, not something we as players / consumers should be worrying about or even knowing. It was a full AoS release, nevermind what internal label the project had.

Or should we now be second-guessing everything GW releases to make sure it will continue to be supported?

Until GW proves itself to be more stable: yes.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

Or, apparently, that collection of FW sculpts they still sold last year for hundreds of $, a line started in 2016.

?

Aren't the chorf from 2011 ? Or you mean the rules intead  of starting a line? Or something completly different ? 

I am confused. Lot of things being told in parallel. i can't follow if it is not explicit

Edited by ian0delond

Most of the legion of Azgorh line arrived in whfb times as part of Turmakhan. However at least one model (Shartor, the huge bull centaur hero) was released later, as an AoS model. He was most likely designed during the transition period when AoS was in development. Given that they start planning the next edition the moment the previous one is out the door, I'm not sure how much there really is to gain in splitting hairs over who was an AoS model and who a WHFB one. the legion was supported well into AoS, so its fair to consider it a valid AoS army, even if it began life in Fantasy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Most of the legion of Azgorh line arrived in whfb times as part of Turmakhan. However at least one model (Shartor, the huge bull centaur hero) was released later, as an AoS model. He was most likely designed during the transition period when AoS was in development. Given that they start planning the next edition the moment the previous one is out the door, I'm not sure how much there really is to gain in splitting hairs over who was an AoS model and who a WHFB one. the legion was supported well into AoS, so its fair to consider it a valid AoS army, even if it began life in Fantasy.

Interestingly enough, Shartor has a fyreslayer helmet on him, which may shed light on some timeframe for his design

20210710_173240.jpg

20210710_173231.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Of course Dwarfs in general!  But Fyreslayers are like the unloved cousins in the community. 

(Stares at my collection of unpainted Fyreslayers next to my fully painted Kharadron) 

Well, I mean, I can’t talk from the perspective of every non fyreslayer player, but personally, I think they look interesting.

What puts me off starting a fyreslayers army, is basically the look, that  every single model in the army shares.

I’m not really interested in starting an army that consist of basically Dwarf units that all look alike.

The last time I’ve fought a fyreslayers, army, I was struggling to even recognize any of his units and it was the same for my opponent, who played them.

In the end we were just searching for his heroes, who vanished in his hordes of great axe wielding berserkers.

took us 5minutes to find those three heroes, each turn.

ps: should dwarfs be combined I could see myself fielding 1-2 units of fyreslayers, in my dispossessed army.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Interestingly enough, Shartor has a fyreslayer helmet on him, which may shed light on some timeframe for his design

Fyreslayers share a lot of design elements with the latest WHFB dwarf plastic models. It has been said that they are in fact from that era, which partially explains why they really aren't more fleshed out on AoS. I hadn't noticed that helmet in Shartor, but now it all but confirms the FS origins hypothesis.

24 minutes ago, ian0delond said:

Aren't the chorf from 2011 ? Or you mean the rules intead  of starting a line? Or something completly different ? 

Yes, they were from the Tamurkhan campaign/book from 2011. They had one new unit released/finished under AoS banner.
Legion of Azghor had a mini-battletome (still here) released in to 2018.
Tamurkhan had another one too (here) from 2018 too.
Monstruous Arcanum was just rules for their Monsters (still legal, thanks to GHB2021, but they don't have updated points, here).

Maybe I'm worng, but to me, it seems that Legion of Azghor was just a Fantasy army that GW wrote some fancy rules to play in AoS (No Lore, minimum-rules, etc...). And that's all.

Btw, I'm totally against of squating armies!! GW just needs to update the existing rules, doesn't matter if they are at the bottom of the tier-list. But I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only one that saw that incoming.

A Clan Eshin refresh would be amazing. Skaven have got surprisingly little attention since the start of AoS. Only one regular AoS mini. They seem like the ideal faction to get the AoS treatment. Could they even be the Chaos book coming in October? 

• Like 1

This is really too negative. Everyone knew that FW was in a weird place especially with the transition from WHFB to AoS. 

Chorfs literally only just lost their matched play points and it is very clear they are coming out as a new army for AoS in the near future.

There has been a lot of instability as to what would stay and what would go from WHFB but it's pretty clear that all the battletome factions which now exist will continue to be supported. 

We'd all love to get Lumineth or Stormcast levels of support, but as others have said even Fyreslayers got terrain and endless spells.

Of course we all worry. I saw all the rumours about Idoneth selling poorly and with the popularity of Lumineth I fear GW is unlikely to give them much support. But even with that pessimism there is no reason to doubt they will get at least new books and a model here and there.

I don't think it's really reasonable to expect your model collection to be playable for 30+ years without any changes. This is why WHFB died.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well, I mean, I can’t talk from the perspective of every non fyreslayer player, but personally, I think they look interesting.

What puts me off starting a fyreslayers army, is basically the look, that  every single model in the army shares.

I’m not really interested in starting an army that consist of basically Dwarf units that all look alike.

The last time I’ve fought a fyreslayers, army, I was struggling to even recognize any of his units and it was the same for my opponent, who played them.

In the end we were just searching for his heroes, who vanished in his hordes of great axe wielding berserkers.

took us 5minutes to find those three heroes, each turn.

ps: should dwarfs be combined I could see myself fielding 1-2 units of fyreslayers, in my dispossessed army.

I'm fairly certain that your sentiment is exactly why Fyreslayers are not popular.  In my opinion they never should of been a horde type army with multiple kits and hero's that look a like.  

I usually run a double Magmadroth army, even though it was never ideal (although that might change in 3.0) just to spice my army up more. 

When the Fyreslayers get more love in the future I hope they expand the line with more unique troop types (and female Dwarfs!)

• Like 1

I see the word "chorfs" and immediately my eyes glaze over and the rest of the post never makes it into my brain.

Are we really that l337/lazy?

What's next?

Sneth? Oberz? Filars? Lumords? Glords? Kroyz?

Surely we are better than this as a community, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I see the word "chorfs" and immediately my eyes glaze over and the rest of the post never makes it into my brain.

Are we really that l337/lazy?

What's next?

Sneth? Oberz? Filars? Lumords? Glords? Kroyz?

Surely we are better than this as a community, right?

Counterpoint: a good portion of the community here uses one of the words in the faction name (Lumineth, Bonereapers, Soulblight) or the initials of the faction (OWC, NH, FEC, DOK). Cause it’s harder to do both of those with Chaos Dwarfs (Duardin?) it’s easier to simply contract 

Edited by JustAsPlanned
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Chikout said:

A Clan Eshin refresh would be amazing. Skaven have got surprisingly little attention since the start of AoS. Only one regular AoS mini. They seem like the ideal faction to get the AoS treatment. Could they even be the Chaos book coming in October? 

All I want for 3.0 is Faction updates. Skaven, Beasts of Chaos, Fyreslayers, Idoneth, Seraphon and Ogor Mawtribes. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

1)Are we really that l337/lazy?

2)What's next?

3)Sneth? Oberz? Filars? Lumords? Glords? Kroyz?

4)Surely we are better than this as a community, right?

1)yes

2)rats, gobs, orks, beards, pointy ears

3)lumords, love it!

4) nah, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4