The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Ever heard of Fyreslayers?

Fyreslayers, like any other post-aos products, are pretty safe though

People discuss it usually based on “how” it will be supported instead of “if” it will be supported.

The original chorf is a different scene.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

People discuss it usually based on “how” it will be supported instead of “if” it will be supported.

People do second guess it anyway though, I think was the point?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

I mean...dont we all already do that? Ever heard of Fyreslayers?

They are being supported in a soup, that surely beats what they did to chorfs. 

And it is my point exactly. They are making an effort to move away from the original approach of release-collect-squat. Or so I thought.

We have examples of successful releases that didn’t need to be all new!!!!?!! units. Sisters of battle sell like hot cakes and, while they are adding new units, they originally mostly ported the original pewter sculpts. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

Thats true but they are one of the original brand new release factions and never got anything new sense. Underworld and Doomseeker doesnt count lol

And they are arguably the least popular as a result of being so static. Even if GW soups all the stunties together that still wont count as something new for Fyreslayers. 

There is an equal amount of, if not more, discussion on "if" they will be supported due to how little they sell or how not popular they are. Will GW want to invest time and money into a faction that no one likes? At that point they become a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Of course its completely GWs fault the model line is so bad and doesnt have support

On the flip side you have Ironjawz, who are popular but also never got anything new. All this comes down to questioning GWs releases.

1 minute ago, Still-young said:

People do second guess it anyway though, I think was the point?

It was meant as a light jab yes lol

1 minute ago, Greybeard86 said:

Sisters of battle sell like hot cakes and, while they are adding new units, they originally mostly ported the original pewter sculpts. 

Ehh Sisters have always had a cult like following. Even 20+ years ago they were more popular then Fyreslayers are right now

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Ehh Sisters have always had a cult like following. Even 20+ years ago they were more popular then Fyreslayers are right now

I am not discussing FS, they are confirmed safe in Grungni's great cauldron of soup. This is quite likely to reflect a change in policy from GW because FS looked all but dead.

I am discussing the possibility that GW might release a bunch of sculpts, sell them for hundreds of dollars (they were eye-watering expensive), then squat them in a few years. To turn around and release more sculpts in the same design/lore space. Because that is what it looks like they might want to do with chorfs. And, given release cycles, it is likely they knew all along.

And that'd go in the book, big time, the great book of consumer grudges.

• Confused 1

Have we decided - a week into a new edition - that AoS is dead and GW is about to get rid of all our plastic dollies for Space Marines or Stormcast yet ?

It was almost guaranteed from the start that the WFB remnants will go away.

It surprises me how much GW hasn't seemingly hacked out of the game by now.

Apart from Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, High Elves and Wood Elves - we have quite a fair few just sitting around from the game-that-was.

AoS isn't Fantasy though. It never was meant to be.

Expecting your new girlfriend to wear your ex-wife's clothes isn't cool.

GW isn't going to just decide 'yeah this thing we made a year ago is gone now' on a whim, especially when those things were what the designers and writers likely went 'woah imagine what we can do now?!'. 

The early years werent great gamewise - but you can tell the love when the design team decided to use this 'new space' to make Fish Elves or Dwarves on Fire or an Ork riding a Cabbage Dragon.

Fyreslayers have a small line - but enough effort into them that they are one of the few factions to have Endless Spells and Faction Terrain. 

Yes - one day, likely in the next few years, your old WFB figures and their fairly 'filler' place right now will likely go unsupported, be that Freeguild or Darkling Covens with the shift for Dawnbringer Crusades or Umbraneth, or they'll be old when GW decides its time for another update, if you're a Skaven or Vampire Counts veteran. 

GW clearly sees - on their side - the potential for AoS. 

Just as High Elves vanished and we heard endless 'they're killing my faction!' just for the light-obsessed pompous Lumineth to appear.

Or how Bretonnia vanished just for another faction of the heroic knightly Stormcast to appear.

Or how Tomb Kings vanished just for the mashup of Oriental and Babylonian styled undead of the Ossiarchs appeared.

Chorfs - most certainly - died for the AOS evolution.

GW isn't going to start every model being a limited edition hundreds of pounds costed army that you need to buy every 2 years because the last one doesn't exist.

If that was going to happen, it would have happened 6 years ago - when GW was presented an opportunity to say 'none of your models from the old game work now'. 

11 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

I am discussing the possibility that GW might release a bunch of sculpts, sell them for hundreds of dollars (they were eye-watering expensive), then squat them in a few years. To turn around and release more sculpts in the same design/lore space. Because that is what it looks like they might want to do with chorfs. And, given release cycles, it is likely they knew all along.

It's not going to happen.

Don't worry.

Edited by Dreddships
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

FS looked all but dead

They really aren't

Although the model support of FS did poorly (actually no?they got a terrain piece and endless spells, that's pretty in line with most factions.) , they are always considered as one of the symbol factions of AOS and constantly show up here and there. Which means there is always a further plan reserved for them and there is yet to be a chance to give FS a more or less boon of model, I believer such chance will come sooner than later.

However, Original Chorf is a different story. The fact that it is a holdover army and never got real attention in the main aos line suggests what people saw as a "new AOS model for chorf" might be the last bit of the plan behind them. After that the developmental plan of chorf either got cancelled completely or got altered and redesigned into a new thing.

My bet is the later and Chorf will get support much like how high elves get from lumineth. 

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

They really aren't

Although the model support of FS did poorly, they are always considered as one of the symbol factions of AOS and constantly show up here and there. Which means there is always a further plan reserved for them and there is yet to be a chance to give FS a more or less boon of model, I believer such chance will come sooner than later.

However, Original Chorf is a different story. The fact that it is a holdover army and never got really attention in the main aos line suggests what people saw as a "new AOS model for chorf" might be the last bit of the plan behind them. After that the developmental plan of chorf either got cancelled completely or got altered and redesigned into a new thing.

My bet is the later and Chorf will get support much like how high elves get from lumineth. 

I hope you are right. My only problem with the GW decision with the return of the Chorfs is that big number faction difference between Death/Destruction and Order/Chaos. 4 books for the small GA (two of them very small) and 8 books for the big GA are too much to me.

Just now, Nezzhil said:

I hope you are right. My only problem with the GW decision with the return of the Chorfs is that big number faction difference between Death/Destruction and Order/Chaos. 4 books for the small GA (two of them very small) and 8 books for the big GA are too much to me.

Well that I guess wont change in the close future, I myself have got used to it. 

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

They really aren't

Although the model support of FS did poorly, they are always considered as one of the symbol factions of AOS and constantly show up here and there. Which means there is always a further plan reserved for them and there is yet to be a chance to give FS a more or less boon of model, I believer such chance will come sooner than later.

However, Original Chorf is a different story. The fact that it is a holdover army and never got really attention in the main aos line suggests what people saw as a "new AOS model for chorf" might be the last bit of the plan behind them. After that the developmental plan of chorf either got cancelled completely or got altered and redesigned into a new thing.

I understand (in part based on your explanations, so thanks!) what is going on. I am pointing out that this is a very crummy move.

You release a range of miniatures and sell it for a premium price (hundreds of dollars). You cannot turn around a few years later and say "Look guys, these sculpts cannot be played now. Turns out we released them because we had planned for them some time ago, but we never really intended for them to stay". Because that is freaking misleading!

If you want to move away from a business model based on long-term support, you got to say it. We are releasing some cool sculpts but they aren't going to be supported past the next 5 years. So buy them if that's your jam.

What makes it more aggravating is the possibility that then GW turns back and says: by the way, we are still planning on releasing "new chorfs", but you won't be able to field the recent sculpts because we want to sell you some others. Cheerio!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

This pleases me.  Long live Grimnir and long live Fyreslayers! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CitizenX said:

So when I was in the local GW shop the other day, the manager pointed out to me several times that all the Skaven kits were being pulled from the shelf (knowing I am a Skaven fan). This seems to suggest a repackaging or a line refresh. 

Yeah, I heard the same. I hope it is a line refresh but I'm not sure at all.

The only thing I'm pretty sure is that the metal models need to be removed soon

43 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Just as High Elves vanished and we heard endless 'they're killing my faction!' just for the light-obsessed pompous Lumineth to appear.

Or how Bretonnia vanished just for another faction of the heroic knightly Stormcast to appear.

Or how Tomb Kings vanished just for the mashup of Oriental and Babylonian styled undead of the Ossiarchs appeared.

Chorfs - most certainly - died for the AOS evolution.

But this is just unfair.

Bretonnia and Tomb Kings are slightly different kind of beast here, because GW were clear from the start that they will squat those armies.

However this isn't the case with High Elves and Greenskinz, because they were part of box sets, for Sigmar sake! When you bought Spire of Dawn or Start Collecting Greenskinz you have every reason to believe that you could legally play High Elves or generic Orruks in the years to come!

It was pretty safe to assume that those armies won't be supported as much as "proper" AoS orcs and elves, but. Still. Will. Be. Playable.

I mean, c'mon soup Greenskinz, Gitmob and FW Destruction into one poor-man Legends-like Battletome, call High Elves "Astraneth" (stars theme is fitting for Azyr) or something like that, make Tomb Kings Order undead faction, merge Brettonia with leftovers from Empire Knights and make clear that they will not get any models in the future.

But give them proper rules, allegiance abilities, crusade bonuses, spell list, artefacts and mount traits and update them once for edition. Why? Because your damned customers have paid you big money to use those minis.

How can I buy now old stormcast box not knowing if they won't be replaced by Thunderstrike altogether? Or Greywater Fastness or Anvilgard box? They phased out one box, they can easily squat the other ones as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

There are not any FW AOS models.

There's one; the big dragon. 

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but you can always still play with your old minis. The 8th edition Warhammer fantasy rulebook is still for sale on Itunes. People regularly play rogue trader even now. Bloodbowl had a thriving tournament scene for years even though it was a 'dead' game. 

I saw people attending 2nd edition tournaments with Brettonians and Tomb Kings long after they were 'squatted'

Gw didn't break into your house and steal all your minis or burn your old books. The idea of giving long term evolving rules support  is a pretty new thing in the grand scheme of things. Is there another company that does it better? That's a genuine question. I'm not trying to be rhetorical. 

There was a tournament just last week were a well known player ran a cities of Sigmar army made entirely of halfings. Why not use the cities of Sigmar rules for your chaos dwarf army if you have one? It would be pretty easy to make some rules for a corrupted city. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

There are not any FW AOS models.

40 minutes ago, Chikout said:

There's one; the big dragon. 

Wasn't Shar'tor The Executioner released as the first of the character series for AoS? He had a special red box and everything. 

• Like 1