The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, sorokyl said:

The aesthetics are so different it feels weird to me to have all of these on the table together. feels like maybe some of these are for a different game system or something. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to have the rules for their minis squatted, but if I were asked to guess which currently produced sub faction would not be around in a few years... Savage Orruks are in the top 3.   If you asked me which will never get new models, probably my #1 pick. Just because everything else is just more popular/bigger existing range / more unique (not the 3rd most popular faction of their race)image.png.17d6c4d1021b741aaefd5c873642badd.png

First off there needs to be a proper Ironjawz model in that pic!! 😜

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

We need a hero to paint three subfactions in the same tone, tbh

Then we can truly see the overall effect, the official showcase just doesn’t work.

I think with minimal effort you could probably convert Krulez models to Bonesplitterz with simple weapons swaps, a few snips of some of the spikey bits, and some strategically placed skulls. 

Take it up a notch and greenstuff some furs if you're really feeling the waaaagh energies!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sorokyl said:

The aesthetics are so different it feels weird to me to have all of these on the table together. feels like maybe some of these are for a different game system or something. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to have the rules for their minis squatted, but if I were asked to guess which currently produced sub faction would not be around in a few years... Savage Orruks are in the top 3.   If you asked me which will never get new models, probably my #1 pick. Just because everything else is just more popular/bigger existing range / more unique (not the 3rd most popular faction of their race)image.png.17d6c4d1021b741aaefd5c873642badd.png

I agree 100% that they look like they come from different systems, though I'm skeptical the old designs will be changed dramatically, or squatted, because they seem to be doubling down on the big gorilla jaw look with the new BeastSnagga range in 40K. My guess is to the extent that we see new releases for the old orruk clans they'll just be nicer sculpts of this basic look. The Underworlds warbands show how much life is still left in this aesthetic in the hands of a more nuanced sculptor.

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

We need a hero to paint three subfactions in the same tone, tbh

Then we can truly see the overall effect, the official showcase just doesn’t work.

I'm on it, but since I'm the slowest hobbyist alive you might have to wait a few years. ;)

I do think brutes and gutrippas will look great in variations the same colour scheme, though.

• Like 2

• Subscriber

We are getting a new Ironjawz sculpt for one of the Warhammer+ miniatures and that is using the same style as the existing Ironjawz. YXw3PCf.0.jpg

While the proportions are off by quite a bit, as was said above, having Ironjawz painted in a less cartoonish/bright style can help them go alongside the new Kruleboyz. That's how I'm doing mine anyway. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Chikout said:

Absolutely no idea what this is. 9h4v8GJIMYZO56Vo.jpg.22c8774b91d46ea051f4bfb99b4f7342.jpg

228137.jpg
obviously some egypt stuff like i mentioned before.  BY Ptra..do we finally get some "Wrath of Ptra" Army led by the Avatar of Ptra, Settra himself

Edited by Huanchi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

I reckon you could use some Ironjawz in a Kruleboyz gritty scheme and they’d fit as like the brutish vanguard beasts with heavier, but still primitive and beaten, armour while the Kruleboyz flank around with their kunnin’ taktiks. 

You could also use the kruleboyz shields on the black orcs to tie them even more together. We've had differents races cohabiting together in the o&g books for a long time, it's not that shocking to include a new variation of greenskin if you push the racial variety in your army.

And i agree with the need for GW to paint up a new orruk warclan army that actually look like a unified tabletop army. It would go a long way in making the book feel less like soup and more like a "race" book if that makes sense.

• Like 5

I feel like Ardboyz are the issue here.

The newer Ironjawz seem to look fairly alright near Kruleboyz, but the very squat awkwardness of the Ardboyz - being a pretty old sculpt - seems to throw it off.

Bonesplitters and Brutes/Megabosses look alright together. Kruelboyz don't seem to throw that too much off - or won't if they're painted similarily.

Honestly, I'm just hoping one of the new Orruk Warclans units is just an updated Ardboyz that looks much 'nicer' alongside the fairly new sculpts across the Orruk range. 

Another note though - Kruelboyz seem to look fairly 'right' next to Ogors, in a way Bonesplitterz/Ironjawz do near Gitz.

Destruction seems to now be 'very gritty' or 'absolutely mad' aesthetically - and also a giant centaur that could have been a perfect BoC centrepiece...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

I feel like Ardboyz are the issue here.

The newer Ironjawz seem to look fairly alright near Kruleboyz, but the very squat awkwardness of the Ardboyz - being a pretty old sculpt - seems to throw it off.

Bonesplitters and Brutes/Megabosses look alright together. Kruelboyz don't seem to throw that too much off - or won't if they're painted similarily.

Honestly, I'm just hoping one of the new Orruk Warclans units is just an updated Ardboyz that looks much 'nicer' alongside the fairly new sculpts across the Orruk range. 

Another note though - Kruelboyz seem to look fairly 'right' next to Ogors, in a way Bonesplitterz/Ironjawz do near Gitz.

Destruction seems to now be 'very gritty' or 'absolutely mad' aesthetically - and also a giant centaur that could have been a perfect BoC centrepiece...

Ardboyz are in an awkward spot indeed. Back in WHFB, they were the biggest and baddest, and their role reversal of essentially being Ironjaw cosplayers is hilarious. Their models sadly are very much products of their time, forced into same-y poses, squat, blocky. Much of that stems from being a too-literal translation of the previous metal models.

In fact many of the older Black Orc characters look like what I personally would prefer modern Ardboyz looked similar to, think Grimgor, Facebasha, the Big Bosses. These were permitted more refined poses and a level of detail not available in that plastic kit of limited scope.

Edited by Drakensgreed
  • Like 3

Fun fact: Ardboyz were the first GW unit released that was 3D sculpted.

Which uh, also tells you old they are. 

Ardboyz are very much the reason I haven't started an Orruk warclans force, because I kinda assume at SOME point they'll get redone, like Chaos Warriors did (in a Getting Started set, for some reason). Same with Saurus and Skinks. They've been digitally sculpted for the underworlds kits, so they must be coming at some point... Maybe.

• Like 2

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

Fun fact: Ardboyz were the first GW unit released that was 3D sculpted.

Which uh, also tells you old they are. 

Ardboyz are very much the reason I haven't started an Orruk warclans force, because I kinda assume at SOME point they'll get redone, like Chaos Warriors did (in a Getting Started set, for some reason). Same with Saurus and Skinks. They've been digitally sculpted for the underworlds kits, so they must be coming at some point... Maybe.

They were designed with having to rank up in mind right?

They've shown they have the ability with the Underworlds and Blood Bowl sculpts of Orruks/Orcs/Black Orcs

While an update to Ardboyz would certainly be welcome, my own unit is the 4 from Underworlds with 6 of the BB orcs with added weapons/shields.

Ardboys are dated as anything BUT when you consider their age they hold up incredible well. Arguably one of the best models of their time. But back in those days orc posture was slightly uh different, and as mentioned they are clearly designed to fit on square bases (although I can tell you from painful experience that was a big ask - they were so massive even on their larger 25mm squares they usually had to be organized in a specific configuration to sit flush, tetris style)

I'm happy with my mob of twenty year old black orcs but if they did an updated sculpt to look more Ironjawsy I would probably pick up a few just to have them. I would be very sad if Ardboys got squatted altogether, Brutes are fine but we have so few models as it is and 40mm bases have always been awful in Sigmar and I can't see that ever changing.

Also me and my buddies are 100% convinced Kragnos was originally a BoC sculpt that got pitched into destruction late in production. He seems so shoehorned in, and the claim that scareshields are supposed to look like his face is pretty laughable (and doesn't seem to even jive with the lore of him being a recent addition to the region)

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Just curious, has 'reputation count' disappeared for anyone else? 

If you hover over the little rocket icon on the user's avatar it now shows there. Edit, at least the rank shows. Not sure on the actual count of reputation...

Edited by SunStorm
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

They were designed with having to rank up in mind right?

They've shown they have the ability with the Underworlds and Blood Bowl sculpts of Orruks/Orcs/Black Orcs

While an update to Ardboyz would certainly be welcome, my own unit is the 4 from Underworlds with 6 of the BB orcs with added weapons/shields.

Yep! Which is something some other kits suffer from, because they're designed to be like, contained. Dark Elves are a great example of that. Black Guard are ace, but very static so they can rank. Chaos Warriors too.

Yeah the BB and Underworld Orruks are cool, bet that units looks nice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Also me and my buddies are 100% convinced Kragnos was originally a BoC sculpt that got pitched into destruction late in production. He seems so shoehorned in, and the claim that scareshields are supposed to look like his face is pretty laughable (and doesn't seem to even jive with the lore of him being a recent addition to the region)

It's funny how many people still misunderstand this. It was never said that the scare shields represent Kragnos. Only the icon on top of the  big banner represents him. The icon on the base of Kragnos itself follows the same design. It is possible that Kragnos may have been changed at some point, but it won't have happened recently. I'm sure stuff gets moved around and altered all the time. That's part of any creative process, but it is important to remember how far ahead GW is. The next year of books are all done. The next two years of minis are already done. The Dominion sprues are dated 2019 for example so the begining of the concept phase was  probably 2018 or even earlier. The 40k tenth edition minis are probably already finished, and they are probably prototyping rules changes now. 

I just don't think last minute shoehorning is something gw is capable of. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Virtus-XIV said:

Weren’t bonesplitters already merged with ironjawz into the Orruk Warclans battletome? 

Yes. Warclans is Ironjawz and Bonesplitters (plus now Kruelboyz). What I'm saying is the now squat'ed Greenskinz models would have gone a long way to bridge the visual divide between the two, like how the Orcs & Goblins Army Books had both Savage Orcs and Black Orcs, but were mostly standard Orc Boys.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Chikout said:

It's funny how many people still misunderstand this. It was never said that the scare shields represent Kragnos. Only the icon on top of the  big banner represents him. The icon on the base of Kragnos itself follows the same design. It is possible that Kragnos may have been changed at some point, but it won't have happened recently. I'm sure stuff gets moved around and altered all the time. That's part of any creative process, but it is important to remember how far ahead GW is. The next year of books are all done. The next two years of minis are already done. The Dominion sprues are dated 2019 for example so the begining of the concept phase was  probably 2018 or even earlier. The 40k tenth edition minis are probably already finished, and they are probably prototyping rules changes now. 

I just don't think last minute shoehorning is something gw is capable of. 

It's not unheard of to have a miniature designed as one thing, but then later it was tweaked and released for something else.

At least with FW, I'm not sure of a direct example of GW since the big move to plastic, the K'Daai Destroyer for the Legion of Azgorh was WIP and shown off at a few of the FW events. However they scrapped that, sculpted some of it with Khorne symbols and released it as Skaarac the Bloodborn

Side note, still gutted the Fimir WIPs that were shown off never saw the light of day :(

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I'm so confused as to what the deal is with centaurs now. Are Kurnothi still going to be a thing? Are Beasts of Chaos a dead faction? Will Kragnos ever get an army which actually matches his look?

I hope gw will take back the centigors,but beastmen are surely not a dead army.

Considering how kragnos was treated is clear gw will not give him an army similar to him,he's more like a "Gotrek style piece" but with the added thing that Kruleboyz wants to use him.

Probably this edition will make the new "armies" just a part of preexisting battletome, like Kruleboyz were made for warclans.

Kurnothi probably will get folded into sylvaneth as the "probable Grungni reinforcements with Grombrindal" will be folded in tje soup duardin tome(a thing that i hate but seems clear what Gw wants) and so on.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

It's funny how many people still misunderstand this. It was never said that the scare shields represent Kragnos.

Pretty sure Adam Troke said this during some preview, which is why everyone has been repeating that. For sure he was confused or had his notes wrong though. It's just meant to represent the orruk carrying the shield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

It's not unheard of to have a miniature designed as one thing, but then later it was tweaked and released for something else.

At least with FW, I'm not sure of a direct example of GW since the big move to plastic, the K'Daai Destroyer for the Legion of Azgorh was WIP and shown off at a few of the FW events. However they scrapped that, sculpted some of it with Khorne symbols and released it as Skaarac the Bloodborn

Side note, still gutted the Fimir WIPs that were shown off never saw the light of day :(

Here's to hoping that if/when chorfs come back(if as the rumored "Furnace Kings" or in The Old World as their original Mesopotamian selves) that mistake gets fixed. I've seen that prototype online, and it was amazing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Pretty sure Adam Troke said this during some preview, which is why everyone has been repeating that. For sure he was confused or had his notes wrong though. It's just meant to represent the orruk carrying the shield.

He also said Radukar the Wolf was an ogre vampire, and look how that turned out.

• Like 1