The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start to cycle out the old Stormcast once we hit 4th edition, [...]

Finally, whether we like it or not, they're going to keep releasing new models, and they'll need to free up the design space to give everything its own role and home without causing too much redundancy.

I would be outraged if they started a process of widespread legending more models within a few years of release.

I really do hope they don't dare do that. They got away with it during the end times (which was a nasty move), to then turn around and legend the models they introduced during that period? That's be pretty shameless.

On the Kruelboys, I have to admit I do not like them that much. But I do like the recent trend (started with that bizarre vampire lord) of making truly disturbing monsters.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

The Mouth of Mork speaks at last! Looking forward to seeing these hawk-wyverns when they finally drop! 

Wont have long at all I'd say with the Battletome coming next month we may have a Preview on the 31st of this month!!

14 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

He probably gonna be a big centerpiece model of the Kruleboyz, so maybe those small vultures will be the decoration around the big vulture-wyvern!

Makes sense I'm hyped for it!!

• Confused 1

Yeah, sounds like we'll be seeing a dual-kit Mouth of Mork with a generic corpse-rippa rider. Gives me hope for more units to come for Kruleboyz like cav etc.

If I were to wishlist what else I'd still like to see for Kruleboyz, going all in on making them a real army rather than a niche faction, it'd be:

Cavalry unit (ideally dual-kit for melee and ranged)

Additional foot unit of some sort of punchier or special forces, whether vicious melee types or sneaky tricks rangers. I'd prefer more sneaky tricks here to really go with the Mork feel.

Another generic spellcaster hero.

Those three would make me really happy with the Kruleboy line-up. Anything else - more hobgrotz, more warmachines, even more monsters would be fantastic but just the cherry on top.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

He probably gonna be a big centerpiece model of the Kruleboyz, so maybe those small vultures will be the decoration around the big vulture-wyvern!

I actually don’t think he‘ll be the biggest model in the army. On the stream, Adam and Eddie said the Sludgeraker is the biggest Kruleboyz model.

Regardless that was a great story, Gobsprakk sounds like an interesting personality and he‘s certainly mean. Cruel even, one might say.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

I would be outraged if they started a process of widespread legending more models within a few years of release.

I really do hope they don't dare do that. They got away with it during the end times (which was a nasty move), to then turn around and legend the models they introduced during that period? That's be pretty shameless.

On the Kruelboys, I have to admit I do not like them that much. But I do like the recent trend (started with that bizarre vampire lord) of making truly disturbing monsters.

The question is: how many total stormcast kits are they willing to support at one time? They really gonna keep all those mold sets around and change their tooling to do another run of neave blacktalon of whatever other obscure hero or unit that happens to be the 50th most popular kit? I doubt it..

Space marines have a huge range because people buy it. So if you have to make (minimum quantity of sprues  that justifies a run), it's ok because they're not gonna be taking up space for 5+ years.

Their stormcast strategy is really weird and it's gonna lead to some really unfortunate situations I feel like (already has in the sense of power creep of new units)

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

Yeah, sounds like we'll be seeing a dual-kit Mouth of Mork with a generic corpse-rippa rider. Gives me hope for more units to come for Kruleboyz like cav etc.

If I were to wishlist what else I'd still like to see for Kruleboyz, going all in on making them a real army rather than a niche faction, it'd be:

Cavalry unit (ideally dual-kit for melee and ranged)

Additional foot unit of some sort of punchier or special forces, whether vicious melee types or sneaky tricks rangers. I'd prefer more sneaky tricks here to really go with the Mork feel.

Another generic spellcaster hero.

Those three would make me really happy with the Kruleboy line-up. Anything else - more hobgrotz, more warmachines, even more monsters would be fantastic but just the cherry on top.

I hoping we may see "lesser" Gnashtooth riders as the Orruk cavalry, possible play up the slavecatcher, trapper style, give them hooked spears, spiked nets, etc.

Hopefully hobgrots get their own wolf/warg style cavalry separate to any Orruk cavalry. Having them sitting apart from the Kruleboyz does mean they don't have to be swamp styled and could instead revisit the wolf riding plains hunters, Rippa Snarlfang style. 

We may yet see a Warchanter/Priest style hero.

1 hour ago, Drakensgreed said:

I actually don’t think he‘ll be the biggest model in the army. On the stream, Adam and Eddie said the Sludgeraker is the biggest Kruleboyz model.

Regardless that was a great story, Gobsprakk sounds like an interesting personality and he‘s certainly mean. Cruel even, one might say.

Oh you are right! Maybe it smaller in size but not so much (the Sludgeraker is really tall). It would be fitting that the Kunning orruk don't care that much about size.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sowoky said:

The question is: how many total stormcast kits are they willing to support at one time? They really gonna keep all those mold sets around and change their tooling to do another run of neave blacktalon of whatever other obscure hero or unit that happens to be the 50th most popular kit? I doubt it..

Space marines have a huge range because people buy it. So if you have to make (minimum quantity of sprues  that justifies a run), it's ok because they're not gonna be taking up space for 5+ years.

Their stormcast strategy is really weird and it's gonna lead to some really unfortunate situations I feel like (already has in the sense of power creep of new units)

I would have zero problems if they updated liberators to Thunderstrike Liberators together with a nice FAQ that says "you can use all your old liberator models as Thunderstrike Liberators", but hey, I suppose that's not going to happen

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start to cycle out the old Stormcast once we hit 4th edition, and I do see a certain logic to it:

Firstly, they're going to want to unify the aesthetic. The new design for SCE looks distinctly different (despite doing a good job of clearly belonging to the same faction), and now enjoys a visual identity distinct from its "fantasy space marines" roots, which they're going to want to double down on.

Second, the original models weren't made with a balanced game in mind, and the plethora of build options and optional weapon profiles that can be taken or added into a unit (and the resulting number of wars rolls) make them a trial to point and balance for play (especially since wargear isn't pointed in AoS - which I'm not complaining about.)

Finally, whether we like it or not, they're going to keep releasing new models, and they'll need to free up the design space to give everything its own role and home without causing too much redundancy.

I tend to agree with everyone here that SCE are bloated with models, and that fazing out a model range that is so new (7 years old come 4th edition) would be poorly received, particularly when there are so many other ranges that would benefit from that kind of attention.

GW seems to be trying to find a Space Marines equivalent for AoS. They're obviously pushing it hard with SCE, but I had the distinct impression that they were testing the waters with Lumineth when they released them. A lot of the language used in the faction tome and articles heralded their arrival as a huge shift in power for Order, and the rapid release of the Wind Temple echoed the Stormcast releases of old.

End of the day, I'm always happy to add more models to my Stormcast collection, and I don't give a fig about redundancy (though that's obviously a personal opinion that has no bearing on how others view the matter.) I just like having the build diversity.

To stay on topic, I think we've seen most of what's in store for the new SCE. Mounted units are really the only thing left, so Drake's and pegasus are still in the running.

The KruelBoyz are missing a "standard" cav option (the speculated wolf-cav come to mind), and don't seem to have a small elite melee unit in their ranks yet. I wouldn't be surprised by one or two more heroes either.

Looking through the range, I don't know if a broad-based retirement is particularly likely/worrisome.

Here's my take on the older kits in the range:

+ Liberators: Replaced in all but name. And hammers. 

The new Vindicator/Vanquisher units will fill the role these guys currently fill, excepting if you want to have hammers instead of blades.

+ Judicators: Replaced.

Arguably the worst models in the range. Uniform pose, stringless bows, tiny dagger for melee. Superseded. I guess they'll have some stats that make them "Heavy Archers" as opposed to mixed arms archers (Vigilors), explosive archers (Castigators), Super Heavy ( Archers (Raptors), or close combat archers (Vanguard).

Even this unit has the crossbow build which will stand out aesthetically.

+ Prosecutors: Safe.

Still the only flying option choice, still awesome looking, if fiddly. Same goes with the awesome flying heroes.

+ Paladins: Safe-ish.

Hammer build will fade, but the Protector long blade will likely still fill a niche and look quite at home next to the new Vindicators.

+ Dracothian Guard: Safe.

Dragon mounts still look great.

+ Vanguard Hunters: Safe-ish

I think the crossbow pistols are dumb personally, but the pelts and mixed arms loadout make them a good Space Wolves stand-in for Sigmar. Probably going to be uncomfortably close to the Vigilors rules-wise, but the aesthetics are different enough.

+ Palladors: Safe

Arguably the best looking unit in the range. Spear load out is rad, and they'll look great with the new gryph units.

+ Sacrosanct Models: All safe.

The magic/siege engine motifs seem to be unique to the range absent new additions. 

So out of the range the Liberators, Judicators, and Paladins might be sent to the back bench, but even so those kits have obvious niches that'll keep them firmly in the range. If the drake or pegasus mount rumors prove to be accurate, it might even create opportunities for new thematic forces!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, wargames101 said:

Looking through the range, I don't know if a broad-based retirement is particularly likely/worrisome.

Here's my take on the older kits in the range:

As a whfb copy-paste army it's utterly bizarre to see someone refer to kits 6 years old as "older kits"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I get the anxiety, but I do not see the new models as a Primaris style replacement.

I think that after a number of years we will get updates to the older models but this is no where near as drastic an update. Simply newer armour and some new units that fill similar niches to older ones. The Primaris were a huge update of the scale and proportion of the models, as the old space marines honestly looked pretty abysmal from an anatomical point of view.  The old Stormcast look fine next to the new Stormcast I am not the biggest fan of the older armour or poses but they do not look out of scale or anatomically incorrect. Space marines on the other hand needed a drastic redesign to make them fit a modern aesthetic.

I found these pics online so I cannot make these comparisons in person. I only own some currently unbuilt Vindicators:

l702ayqadu471.jpg
Different height is largely due to posture and the base having rubble under the Vindicator's feet. If the Liberator were lifted off the ground to the same extent the heights would be pretty close. I think the posture and the width of the armour makes the liberator feel a little more squat and broad than the Vindicator.

974036-Blood%20Angels,%20Primaris,%20Spa
This looks like a completely different company making a different product. The proportions of these are drastically different and the posture, pose and base are not to blame.

Now back to the topic at hand: Wyvern Buzzards! I hope it looks something like a vulture inspired Cockatrice/Basilisk: 
basilisk_red2.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

@Nezzhil @Chikout @KingBrodd

I HOPE Stormcast Eternals get both flying Draconic Cavalry AND and a new Dragon centerpiece (so yeah, two more units).

We would then have a Thunderstrike overhaul for units in the four existing chambers :

• Knight-Arcanum for Sacrosanct ;
  • Knight-Judicator and Gryph-hound, Stormstrike Chariot with Gryph-charger and Vigilors for Vanguard ;
  • RUMORED Fyling cavalry and big dragon for Extremis ;
  • the rest for Warriors Chambers ;
Spoiler

Disclaimer : I'm in no way fishing for a certain hype prophet's likes - I promise...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

monstrous wyvern-like vultures big enough to carry a grunta in their talons.

If these monster can get a grunta in their talon i don't know how the Sludgeraker can stay the biggest o_O

The fact they're teased on the cover is so cool, like Glutos was on Hedonites of Slaanesh cover before his reveal

• Like 2

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Some Forgeworld models are getting Out of Stock Online

They still have the Dead Saurian as the banner:

image.png.2490fca7ddbdcb85a0c71025fe3e6bb1.png

But then clicking on it, it's no longer available:

image.png.0a197526526fe20cda3660ac6ed927b1.png

Happy I got an order for a few of the monsters earlier this year, including the Dread Saurian and the Troggoth Hag. 

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

New monster article includes an alt build for the creepy troll. Less fiddly polearms will make this the more transportable build option.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/05/monster-slaying-101-dealing-with-monsters-in-the-new-edition/

5zWwnBXoOsT5ziAH.jpg

Oh that looks so much nicer with a less crazy colour skin imo- orange was really offputting to me but this just set my mind at rest :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

They still have the Dead Saurian as the banner:

image.png.2490fca7ddbdcb85a0c71025fe3e6bb1.png

But then clicking on it, it's no longer available:

image.png.0a197526526fe20cda3660ac6ed927b1.png

Happy I got an order for a few of the monsters earlier this year, including the Dread Saurian and the Troggoth Hag. 

Other than Daemons the line is going away.