The Rumour Thread

I wonder if the Hobgrot 'Wolf' Calvary will be the Gnashtoofs? 

The 'Great Gnashtoof' seems to infer that there is other not-so-great Gnashtoofs kicking around somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Kronos said:

There’s a few books for each film with the collected artworks. Artstation though has majority of the work. So many cool concepts that never got used and would be perfect for Kruleboys. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lL3WY

The Del Toro original concepts for The Hobbit are a forgotten gem and it's upsetting what could have been.

Here is to hoping GW manages to use some of them if they ever decide to build out the Middle Earth range.

Though, even as Whitefang was hinting months ago, fairly clear where the inspiration comes from with the Kruelboyz. This is definitely not a Mire Troggoth...

images (1).jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Kronos said:

There’s a few books for each film with the collected artworks. Artstation though has majority of the work. So many cool concepts that never got used and would be perfect for Kruleboys. 

Oh man, such bad films but such good art. Looks like some of the concepts were inspiration for the Shadow of Mordor/War games too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Not just any mount….. look at that snout….. @KingBrodd, @Black_Templar_Lad, @Neverchosen…. THATS A GATOR SNOUT!!!!

#GATORGANG!!!

Edit: and a @Whitefang reaction as well? This is gonna be a good day.

#GATORGANG RISE UP!! YES THIS IS AWESOME!!

4 hours ago, GenericEdgyName said:

In case ya'll haven't seen it yet and are interested a new trailer for total war's new dlc dropped. Seems like CA is breaking away from the tradition of mistreating beastmen. I'd also love to see a miniature for coatl one day. Also, Ogres are coming to the game @KingBrodd

MATE WHAT A DAY FOR CAPS LOCK!! HOPEFULLY WE COULD SEE SOMETHING THAT MAY END UP FOR MAWTRIBES IN 3.0!!

4 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Ogres? Before Totalwar 3? @KingBrodd here’s hoping we get updated Ogre Kingdoms/Mawtribes for The Old World/AOS(whichever comes first).

MAWTRIBES FOR AOS ahem, this is an amazing day after a couple weeks of not much. I really hope Mawtribes gets a massive refresh for 3.0!!

34 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Thank you for these, had no idea these existed and are certainly beautiful to see. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

I wonder if the Hobgrot 'Wolf' Calvary will be the Gnashtoofs? 

The 'Great Gnashtoof' seems to infer that there is other not-so-great Gnashtoofs kicking around somewhere.

The Del Toro original concepts for The Hobbit are a forgotten gem and it's upsetting what could have been.

Here is to hoping GW manages to use some of them if they ever decide to build out the Middle Earth range.

Though, even as Whitefang was hinting months ago, fairly clear where the inspiration comes from with the Kruelboyz. This is definitely not a Mire Troggoth...

images (1).jpeg

Pin on Insatiably Intriguing

WHO RUNS THE ORRUK TOWN???

Bonus:

Spoiler

Malifaux's Georgy & Olaf Ask Who Runs Gremlin-Town? – OnTableTop – Home of  Beasts of War

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

#GATORGANG RISE UP!! YES THIS IS AWESOME!!

MATE WHAT A DAY FOR CAPS LOCK!! HOPEFULLY WE COULD SEE SOMETHING THAT MAY END UP FOR MAWTRIBES IN 3.0!!

MAWTRIBES FOR AOS ahem, this is an amazing day after a couple weeks of not much. I really hope Mawtribes gets a massive refresh for 3.0!!

It's Croc-A'clock!

With the Krul boyz being orruks instead of grots and goblins i'm giving them a pass for now. Being responsible and actually finishing an army with my ogres even if I'm going to shoot myself in the foot if sculpts end up getting replaced after all this work xD.

But god nothing goes better with swamps then crocodiles.

2 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

And here's another way to look at it. What we think is a creatures head on the lower left, is actually part of a larger siege machine. With bodies pinned to it , hung from the spikes, like the tongue on the Kruelboys hero totem. That row of symmetrical spikes could be the top of a gibblet, with a body stuck on there spread-eagle. two of those dangling sillhouettes look an awfully lot like human thighs and calves. This whole thing could be some nasty scaffold system of a war machine. Could even be sitting on top of a huge gator we cant see in the picture.

Or its a Hobgrot taskmaster on a warwagon, being pulled by captured humanoids from Excelsis. :😁

image.png.0c357d555bb07c84122ccbfe86b18bb8.png

But boy oh boy, does that lookllike a pair of Jaws

image.png.8d833fb050fbe4463bfd23e9b0ac2049.png

the more i'm looking at this, i think what we have here is a rider on some sort of platform and those "jaws" on the left are not a mount head but rather some mounted skull on the side. If this is our gator he is hidden under this platform

Edited by DeLewko

59 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

It's Croc-A'clock!

With the Krul boyz being orruks instead of grots and goblins i'm giving them a pass for now. Being responsible and actually finishing an army with my ogres even if I'm going to shoot myself in the foot if sculpts end up getting replaced after all this work xD.

But god nothing goes better with swamps then crocodiles.

If the sculpts are replaced your sacrifice will be much appreciated my friend!!

2 hours ago, Dreddships said:

I suspect we're finally, mercifully, nearing the end of GW's Lord of the Rings license. I get that they almost had to take it on to prevent another manufacturer from capitalizing on the excitement of the films all those years ago, but it makes no sense to me to have two fantasy skirmish games competing for the same dollars with the same company. And now we get Kruleboyz, which feel to me like "hey, some of you found this hobby through our LotR game, and with that going away, we think you'll stay with us by getting these models that reeeeally look like the models from our LotR range."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I suspect we're finally, mercifully, nearing the end of GW's Lord of the Rings license. I get that they almost had to take it on to prevent another manufacturer from capitalizing on the excitement of the films all those years ago, but it makes no sense to me to have two fantasy skirmish games competing for the same dollars with the same company. And now we get Kruleboyz, which feel to me like "hey, some of you found this hobby through our LotR game, and with that going away, we think you'll stay with us by getting these models that reeeeally look like the models from our LotR range."

don't know about that, the last article for Lotr implied they have a lot of long term plans for the game still yet like refreshing old models

• Like 2

I doubt GW is going to sell the LotR license. The thing is, it's a license that is expected to increase in value over the next few years, so GW may want to keep it.

You have to consider that, right now, the highest budget TV series ever made is being dedicated to LotR and is expected to be released soon. Also, after Christopher's death, the LotR license has become more accessible to multiple productions, so nobody should be surprised if we see MANY more products of any kind dedicated to LotR in the next few years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

If you'd said this immediately following The Hobbit films I'd have believed it, but it's apparent there's recently been a renewed push towards supporting MESBG and with what's been teased for a War in the North supplement they're even treading into thus far unexplored territory, which suggests more creativeness and design space on their end than "just update stuff we had models for already and milk the diehards a bit longer." 

There's also been rumours of a Last Alliance starter set for a good while now, which would align with the Amazon show being set in the Second Age - even if GW don't have any licensing directly tied up with them.

I don't think GW really care that much if they have two products competing for the same dollar - it all goes back to GW and better they have 'competing' products than risk those MESBG diehards getting angry and looking into other games rather than sticking to GW (which WHFB going into AoS showed absolutely leaves long-term bad blood).

From an IP perspective, even if MESBG is being produced at a loss (and absolutely nothing points to this being the case) it seems likely that GW would rather keep it for themselves rather than risk a  potential up and coming competitor getting their hands on it. Star Wars: Legion and Marvel Crisis Protocol came pretty much out of nowhere in the last few years and are selling very well indeed - the last thing GW would want is Atomic Mass Games, CMON or another competitor getting the license and or an up and coming rival that could eat away at sales, especially if it's vanguard consists of Middle-Earth loving, loud and disgruntled former GW fans.

MESBG has shown it has a very loyal fanbase and the vast majority of the moulds will have already paid for themselves. They also have quite a good thing going when it comes to warehouse space and production, wherein said base is quite content to have items seasonally go in and out of stock, compared to 40k/AoS where everything, even underperformers, must constantly be in circulation or else be deleted entirely.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Chikout said:

Preview starts at 6. Dominion hobby at 5. 

Oh and a picture.FB_IMG_1625144675237.jpg.bd3e80f8baca228a6d22122594333cbd.jpg

After looking at it all day I think its gnashtooth calvary with a kruleboy, not hobgrot, on its back and some kind of trapping contraption coming off the saddle. 

My bets on rumored gator being something else if even. 

So excited!! Cant wait to get started on these "kewl"boyz!!

Its got a claw like contraption on the end of that stick with what looks like an opening and closing lever. 

Edited by Vasshpit

The First trilogy of films gave GW the capital to do so many things that benefited all their model lines in the design and production spaces, the big step that put them considerably ahead of their rivals seemingly permanently, let alone pulling in huge numbers of kids and adults alike as a gateway game, hell when i worked in a GW store you could see the Lotr->warhammer pipeline in action directly :D

Im not sure it had the legs they hoped for after that and support kinda drizzled out but the fanbase is downright fanatical in places and is still obviously pulling in cash and players for GW as mentioned above, and yeah, likely to resume once the TV shows get out there.

I mean the only reason its still not a spike on GW revenue graphs is the absolute insanity of post 8th edition 40k sales :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, novakai said:

don't know about that, the last article for Lotr implied they have a lot of long term plans for the game still yet like refreshing old models

Bummer.

Every time a LotR sculpt gets made, a Stormcast doesn't get his wings.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Confused 4

47 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Bummer.

That's not remotely true. The lotr studio has its own rules writers, artists and sculptors. 

Keith Robertson does a lot of their sculpts now. 

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Bummer.

So you mean you need more different Stormcast units to obsolete old ones? And do you really think designers from human looking tiny LotR sculpts would be any good at making Stormcast, of all things?

I like the LotR line. Would have liked it more in 28mm so it would fit historicals and some non-GW fantasy (but GW doesn't do compatibility), but there are some nice things in there, mainly because Weta's designers are brilliant.

Also, the ruleset apparently is the best GW has ever made.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 5

i mean they just release a new Treebeard and the article tease

Rumour also has it that these models herald the arrival of something else for Middle-earth, but quite what that is remains hidden in the shadows for now…

So i don't think it hints of retiring or being replace with Old world because of license is almost over.

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Also, the ruleset apparently is the best GW has ever made.

It is. Clean, elegant, lots of complexity building from a small base of the rules. Just a dream to play, to the point that I was disappointed when they didn’t use a modified version fo AoS at its original launch. It’s turned into its own unique thing at this stage, which is good, but frankly some of the features added in 3.0 are more or less just borrowing ideas that LotR developed twenty years ago, to the game’s benefit.

More generally it’s also comically childish and selfish to grumble about one smaller GW game with a dedicated fanbase getting any attention at all because that supposedly takes precious attention from the headliners. It’s no more worthy of respect as a stance than when space marines fans rage out at the thought of xenos getting new models instead of Bolter Marine Variation #7. Just speaks to a really ugly attitude.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game is the best GW ‘main game’ rule set they’ve ever done. If/when the license ends, I hope they adapt it for AoS or 40k

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Bummer.

This nonsense has being going around since the very start of the Middle-earth SBG, and is absolutely false. Middle-earth has ALWAYS had a seperate team of rules writers and model sculptors from the other games. Neither impacts releases of the other

• Like 2