The Rumour Thread

35 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

In terms of start collecting boxes for the new edition, what’s missing? I’m expecting the exclusive sprues of Soul Wars will be moved to a Nighthaunt SC and Sacrosanct SC. Is it just Lumineth and OBR that don’t have one after that?

It'll depend on the approach they want to take but there's a few factions where the current SC boxes only cover part of a faction, sometimes because they date to AoS 1.0. The Mawtribes one is for Beastclaw Raiders, the Skaven SC is specifically Pestilens, the Warclans SC is specifically Ironjaws, and the SC boxes for Slaanesh and Tzeentch are for their daemons.

There's no reason to think that GW will definitely replace or add to these kits but then they did just that with the Seraphon SC box, adding a skink-based version to their existing saurus-heavy kit. I could imagine the same being done for older ranges like ogres or skaven.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It'll depend on the approach they want to take but there's a few factions where the current SC boxes only cover part of a faction, sometimes because they date to AoS 1.0. The Mawtribes one is for Beastclaw Raiders, the Skaven SC is specifically Pestilens, the Warclans SC is specifically Ironjaws, and the SC boxes for Slaanesh and Tzeentch are for their daemons.

There's no reason to think that GW will definitely replace or add to these kits but then they did just that with the Seraphon SC box, adding a skink-based version to their existing saurus-heavy kit. I could imagine the same being done for older ranges like ogres or skaven.

I wouldnt be suprised for the Mawtribes SC to get new Glutton sculpts much like the SC STD. Throw in an updated Butcher or Slaughtermaster as well.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@KingBrodd I'd like that too but then the StD SC box was such a weird one, all new sculpts that weren't released elsewhere and haven't exactly replaced the existing kits. Still not sure exactly what was going on with that whole thing. Doesn't seem to have been repeated either, the updated skeletons/zombies/dire wolves were all released independently and then the un-updated grave guard found their way into the soulblight SC box.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Stormcast don't need to keep level with them, they've already got one of the biggest ranges of modern models in AoS.

What other faction has more modern models? 🤔

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Certainly new diverse armies with a wide model range clearly get improved sales.

This. Stop with the fire and forget armies, they just clutter the setting, lead to imbalances, brutal legend approaches, and disgruntled consumers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

What other faction has more modern models? 🤔

This. Stop with the fire and forget armies, they just clutter the setting, lead to imbalances, brutal legend approaches, and disgruntled consumers.

1000%

At least Kruelboyz being part of Warclans suggests a move in this direction. 

I really hope aos 3.0 is the edition where we see expansion to armies rather than new faction spam.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, HollowHills said:

At least Kruelboyz being part of Warclans suggests a move in this direction.

Kruleboyz being part of Warclans kinda suggests the opposite to me. Instead of expanding the existing armies of Ironjawz and Bonesplitters, they threw an entire new third faction in there without giving the other 2 anything at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

@KingBrodd I'd like that too but then the StD SC box was such a weird one, all new sculpts that weren't released elsewhere and haven't exactly replaced the existing kits. Still not sure exactly what was going on with that whole thing. Doesn't seem to have been repeated either, the updated skeletons/zombies/dire wolves were all released independently and then the un-updated grave guard found their way into the soulblight SC box.

I did wonder if Covid had anything to do with it at first but it's been close to a year now (more?) since and nothing. I'd say if this Editions Slave to Darkness BT doesnt come with a separate new box of those multi pose Chaos Warriors it was a one off, for whatever reason who knows.

2 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I did wonder if Covid had anything to do with it at first but it's been close to a year now (more?) since and nothing. I'd say if this Editions Slave to Darkness BT doesnt come with a separate new box of those multi pose Chaos Warriors it was a one off, for whatever reason who knows.

Yeah, they do those bizarre one-offs sometimes and it's definitely hard to tell exactly why. Case in point the CSM chosen that were part of the 40k 6th ed. starter set in 2012. Everyone was waiting for years for a normal or multipart version of that kit to come out, and/or an updated CSM kit, and they didn't until 2019.

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

New megaboss says hi

It's nice and all but a variant sculpt of an existing unit tied to a digital platform subscription is an odd sort of attention. I think variant sculpts for this sort of thing are a great idea in that they stop people 'needing' to get them, better that than some unique game-winning hero that can only be acquired that way, but it's rather small beer when thought of as 'new ironjaws'.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

New megaboss says hi

As bittersweet as it gets, another megaboss on foot, while looking cool, was just about the absolute last thing I would want... Nobody ever brings 2 and the current kit is great... At least if it was a warchanter that would be better, as the army needs 2-3 to work, with only 1 sculpt available :/ 

I am aware though that these models can't be too exclusive, and if it had been an update to an old kit people would riot, like a new plastic slann. 

Still hoping for Ironjawz some day, but with Kruleboyz taking the spotlight and Beastsnaggas in 40k it will probably take a long while for the best greenskins to get attention again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

As bittersweet as it gets, another megaboss on foot, while looking cool, was just about the absolute last thing I would want... Nobody ever brings 2 and the current kit is great... At least if it was a warchanter that would be better, as the army needs 2-3 to work, with only 1 sculpt available :/ 

I am aware though that these models can't be too exclusive, and if it had been an update to an old kit people would riot, like a new plastic slann. 

Still hoping for Ironjawz some day, but with Kruleboyz taking the spotlight and Beastsnaggas in 40k it will probably take a long while for the best greenskins to get attention again.

If they don’t get a release with the Kruleboyz and battletome, then you are waiting till AoS 4 essentially.

I’m sure that there will be another wave of Lumineth to buy in the meantime though. Woot.

Edited by C0deb1ue
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect the STD kits were designed at some point for a 2nd/3rd edition starter that was scrapped later, or a test for ETB battleboxes. 

Across both ranges, the only 'exclusive SC' models are either the reboxed starters from 1.0, the SM/CSM rebox from 40k and the Wight King in SBGL. Apart from the Wight King, all the others appeared first in a starter or battlebox.

Or they would be - if it wasn't for the STD box.

Either STD was a test to see whether to make the SC boxes more 'bespoke' - or the STLs were just brought out after being designed for something else entirely

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

This is exactly how LE models should be in my opinion: adding an alternative sculpt to something that is easily available already. Doing it any other way would provoke massive gnashing of teeth, and rightly so.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Darnok said:

This is exactly how LE models should be in my opinion: adding an alternative sculpt to something that is easily available already. Doing it any other way would provoke massive gnashing of teeth, and rightly so.

IJ deserved more than a LE model though. They haven't had any non-sidegame models in YEARS. Gordrakk was set up to be huge this edition too, but Kragnos and Kruleboyz completely stole their thunder. It really feels like some of the smaller factions are being or going to be merged, sidelined and overshadowed while not even getting any new models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zamerion said:

and we still have no news for kruleboyz units?  😭

I hope at least that on Dominion's launch day, there will be a preview

They did for 9th Edition so fingers crossed for AOS!! If they do that's where the sneak peeks of the new Necrons and Space Marines were first spotted, so hopefully we see something more for the Kruelboyz. The Dominion Preview showed off the Mirebrute Troggoth for example so I'd hope for even a full on shot of the Sludgeraker!!

9 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

wow, this actually says almost nothing

it says plenty. It says goodbye to the old free app and hello to the new one behind a paywall. 

For all my griping though, I must admit GW makes beautiful models, which is why i'm still here playing this game :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zamerion said:

and we still have no news for kruleboyz units?  😭

I hope at least that on Dominion's launch day, there will be a preview

This happened on indomitus launch day, it was called 9th celebration I believe, they showed farther out things, not just for space marines and necrons, they showed the teaser of small parts of individual models culminating in a full reveal of a sisters model(the palatine) the others are now know as, lelith, skitarii marshal and a beast Snagga

18 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

wow, this actually says almost nothing

it says your old purchases might be relegated to an app that may or may not remain on app stores... they're teasing this like a model which feels so tone deaf I can't even.

only other thing to say is that if this orc isn't a Beast Snagga art reveal, looks like Bonesplittas might get a new model

AoSApp Jun22 AppImage74h13