The Rumour Thread

Wow, talk about information overload over night. Went to bed finding out about Blightguard and listening to some talk about the Hobby Battle Companies, wake up and find out we're getting a new map based campaign set and some 'army' sets.

What's surprising to me though, is the timing feels a little wonky. This kinda stuff usually comes out around December, where they want to put out some army sets for the holiday shoppers. Additionally, GW are burning through a lot of 'supplementary' content pretty fast, we've had Skirmish, Path to Glory, and now a map-based campaign in Firestorm coming up. Makes me wonder if next year we'll keep a fully blown Siege warfare supplement and something else will take it's place in the GHB.

As to the boxed sets themselves. I'm a little mixed. I actually like the little mixed factions, and that both sides have a hero and units (and the Stormcast are supplementary). It fits how it should be, that the Stormcast supplement the defenders of the free cities and not the other way around. On the other hand, they may not be super great boxes if you don't want the Stormcast. The Free Peoples box especially, everyone has Liberators (and most likely a Castellant) as they've been out the longest (and the Libs are in the starter set). It just feels like these boxes would be nicer as larger sets focussing on a particular faction (or faction-group with Dispossessed comboing with Ironweld Arsenal and Free Peoples comboing with Collegiate Arcane) than requiring the Stormcast.

Seems like we're almost over the release drought that was 40k, and could definitely be looking at a lot of content coming our way in the next few months.

23 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

The Free Peoples box especially, everyone has Liberators (and most likely a Castellant) as they've been out the longest (and the Libs are in the starter set). 

See, you say that, but I can tell you that when I got a box of five real Liberators (which is to say, with all the options instead of the starter kit dudes) it was a revelation. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people find the starter box dudes mildly underwhelming, but give them some grand weapons and that can change in a hurry! I think these releases are a great idea to draw Stormcast players into allied armies or vice versa. 

I quite liked the pack of real Libs I got too. 

GW's release schedule has been a bit funny throughout AoS. They go through these decently long periods of nothing and then throw several things down at once. Even just these two big announcements both coming on the same day. Why not at least save one for the next day? 

Not complaining though. I love the box sets. That judicators/corsairs one is up my alley.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, someone2040 said:

What's surprising to me though, is the timing feels a little wonky. This kinda stuff usually comes out around December, where they want to put out some army sets for the holiday shoppers. 

Hope you are wrong. I mean even for a second i haven't thought of these boxes to be replacements for battleforce boxes we had last Christmas.  I expected Tzeentch and maybe Fyreslayers or Kharadrons. But since they had so little releases this might be true. I have zero interest in both old minis and mixed factions so it is seems Christmas will be frugal for me this year. 

Edited by Aryann
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rokapoke said:

See, you say that, but I can tell you that when I got a box of five real Liberators (which is to say, with all the options instead of the starter kit dudes) it was a revelation. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people find the starter box dudes mildly underwhelming, but give them some grand weapons and that can change in a hurry! I think these releases are a great idea to draw Stormcast players into allied armies or vice versa. 

It's not just that. Unless you spend a good 20-25 minutes sanding and greenstuffing, the starter set libbys are VISIBLY worse than the multiparters. Honestly was thinking of picking up that box and just tossing the old pushfits.

54 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Hope you are wrong. I mean even for a second i haven't thought of these boxes to be replacements for battleforce boxes we had last Christmas.  I expected Tzeentch and maybe Fyreslayers or Kharadrons. But since they had so little releases this might be true. I have zero interest in both old minis and mixed factions so it is seems Christmas will be frugal for me this year. 

Sorry to clarify.

I meant that these kind've 'army boxes' usually come out around Christmas time, while the boxes we're being told about now are clearly not Christmas releases.

31 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

Sorry to clarify.

I meant that these kind've 'army boxes' usually come out around Christmas time, while the boxes we're being told about now are clearly not Christmas releases.

Well, it can still be released earlier but also aimed at Christmas. We will see. Hope they will stick to battleforces which are just awesome. 

4 hours ago, polarbear said:

I quite liked the pack of real Libs I got too. 

GW's release schedule has been a bit funny throughout AoS. They go through these decently long periods of nothing and then throw several things down at once. Even just these two big announcements both coming on the same day. Why not at least save one for the next day? 

Not complaining though. I love the box sets. That judicators/corsairs one is up my alley.

Warhammer 40k 8th edition is a big thing. Unfortunately I don't like the Primaris!

And with the lack of AoS I have been in a hobby limbo.

I'm not a fan of the box sets tho. I would rather have Sylvaneth or Ironjaws expanded.  

Now this would have been a brilliant chance to release a new Free People army. 

I just don't think that the Empire look fits AoS. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sete said:

Warhammer 40k 8th edition is a big thing. Unfortunately I don't like the Primaris!

And with the lack of AoS I have been in a hobby limbo.

I'm not a fan of the box sets tho. I would rather have Sylvaneth or Ironjaws expanded.  

Now this would have been a brilliant chance to release a new Free People army. 

I think I have suffered similar reasoning to yourself. I am not sure I even enjoy what Stormcast are, but I still ended up putting a force together because it was just a really complete faction (I had a similar prejudice of Space Marines too).

Although I still like the models for somethings Shadow Warriors, Corsairs etc, I am really reluctant to start these forces, because as you mention some of it borderline doesn't really fit the aesthetic. Although the inclusion of stuff like the Fleetmaster in Warhammer Quest and Corsairs in that box is really testing my metal at the moment because I really want some new Elvses on my board again and it seems like they may meld them into (and be part of) whatever aesthetic Mistweaver Saih and the Tenebral Shard end up being part of new faction wise eventually.  

I know enough good things can't be said about that Shadespire Stormcast model, but I'm loving the Bloodreaver with a beard. Grampa's going to war!

And the "assassin" Stormcast is interesting. The Vanguard chamber is explicitly not "shadowy assassins", and yet here's one that is. She might not be Vanguard, but that's what was shown in the video... Mysterious. Oh, and she's the first Named Stormcast model since the Celestant Prime!

1 hour ago, Sete said:

Didn't they get some sets last year around this time?

1 hour ago, Sete said:

Personally I think it does and the fact they are on round bases now means you can see all the lovely detail of the models! I see the AOS setting as a place of almost infinite possibilities, so I think having the Empire models as Free Guild works well.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Personally I think it does and the fact they are on round bases now means you can see all the lovely detail of the models! I see the AOS setting as a place of almost infinite possibilities, so I think having the Empire models as Free Guild works well.

I find all of the range after the release of 7th edition, when the epicness level was turned up few notches to be quite consistent style wise, including the AoS releases. Some of the first CAD-sculpted models have other issues though...

37 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Didn't they get some sets last year around this time?

Ranged tree revenants or even ranged ironjaws would be awesome. But that's just me wishlisting.

About the Empire troops I dunno man, looking at those chaos cultists Hella jacked, I think they need to be a bit more buffed :D

Might give those Greatswords a spin in skirmish.

21 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Sure hope we get allegiances/battalions for the individual Free Cities in Firestorm. I decided my army was from Greywater Fastness since it first turned up in the Season of War a year a go and it would be a great excuse to theme my army around even more cannons.

I think we will definitely get battalions but I would not expect them to have points 

Super stoked by the Chaos GHB preview for a couple of reasons. For one, all of the abilities previewed seem relatively fun and flavorful. I particularly like the Slaanesh ones -- very flavorful and should lead to some really interesting designs. I also really like the way the Skaven abilities were designed, with each getting the basic Strength in Numbers ability and then a second ability that fits with the clan. Honestly this would be a great design to use with Death and Destruction, too. Give each faction a toned down version of Rampaging Destroyers/Deathless Minions along with a secondary faction specific ability. I think what we saw with Soulblight probably rules this out, though. 

I also love that the StD ability includes wording about reinforcement points in the text, and it makes me hopeful that we will see more abilities like this. Transformation abilities (like the StD ones or the ability on the Coven Throne) are so flavorful and they have interesting gameplay implications, so seeing them given at least a small place in matched play is really nice. 

• Like 1