The Rumour Thread

45 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Absolutely.

The Citadel C34 range of minotaurs

1986 I give you OX ROAR 

image.png.dff423adee163612fa349753da4dec41.png

AYE THANGYEOW..

now be a good beardling GW and give me a modern take on these bad boys  ( i.e. reverse knees and hooves) and we'll be cooking on gas.

Also.. Come on... is this not all of the awesome?

image.png.1628c13340ed7d661744d65d1f809a72.png

On a very serious note,  we're in the Age of Sigmar now.

I do think that it's time to retire anything that was an old fantasy sculpt and consign it to the past, and perhaps leave it to the incoming Warhammer: the old world.

I say this because those models were designed for ranks and flanks, whereas AoS models are free of those shackles so can be more dynamic, and are, and we now have a different scale working with AoS as well.

I'd happily trade new factions for the older models in each faction getting a makeover in the same way that Belakor, sigvald etc have.   Anything that was released at the end of 8th edition whfb was designed with AoS in mind and we can see that in the aesthetic and look.

I had a moment of epiphany the other week. 

A very dear friend of mine can't let og of fantasy - he hates AoS and despises what they've done to his beloved factions he used to play.   I found myself defending AoS.  Yes it's not fantasy, but as I put it.. I could never run my wishlist army just juggernauts in fantasy.

I love the double turn and I love the variability in AoS, all things which can turn the tide as sure as a game  of bloodbowl can swing the other way in an instant, and all these things make AoS great for me.  I love the fact that the rules are four pages long and I can pick it up in half an hour - it's like X-Wing in that respect, and I'm glad that AoS in respect to scale and scope has left fantasy far behind.

Anyway back to rumours, if Ogors are getting a birthday soon then I'd advise you / us as a community to start getting on GW and Forgeworld's back about bringing back the Rhinox cavalry - why they didn't I will never know.

I agree on retiring or at least updating all WHFB miniatures, at this point I'd say it affects COS to not update mostly as units such as High Elfs and Dwarves would need new sculpts. I'm sure no Skaven, Seraphon or BOC player would complain about an entire range update. 

One of the main reasons I want my Mawtribes updated is the fact that the entire Faction is still Rank and File. Gluttons, Leadbelchers and Ironguts basically have the exact same monopose with varying heads and weapons carried and that's it!! I'd love them to get the STD SC tribute and all get more dynamic poses. Ogors are supposed to be terrifying mountains of muscle and fat and at the moment that's not portrayed well enough in my opinion. 

With scale creep they also arent as big as they realistically should be. Fyreslayers and KO come well above an Ogors belly almost to his shoulders whereas they are always described as almost twice the height of a human and twice over as wide. So I hope we start seeing even bigger lads or at least a new unit more fitting on this description.

And YES RHINOX CAVLARY!! Bring it back GW it's too perfect not to have. Rhinox are currently in their Battletome lore quite a bit but only feature as Ironblaster and Scrap Launcher beasts of burden.

I'm really excited for Ogor Mawtribes going into 3.0, there is so much lore and options for them to go ahead with and with almost the entire range being 16 years old now and from a different game system I think it would be amazing to get a huge update for them. After all, the Mawtribes Hunger!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

If they limit Dominion to 1 per order too this ought to fix the scalper problem somewhat.

It stops or limits casual scalpers. Those people that just order another copy because they can; or anyone wanting two copies to double their armies and such. 

It won't stop pro scalpers who want to buy 100 or more copies. Those people tend to have lots of variable IP addresses and other tricks to get their stock. Thankfully GW doesn't actually have many of them (from what I can tell). They have an impact, but its nothing like sports tickets where scalpers can regularly sweep out the majority of tickets. Warhammer's main issue is lots of pepole buy double sets and there's a fair bit of casual scalping where someone buys the set just to split etc... Or there's people that only want one part (eg the rule book) and basically work out that they can sell the models and thus get a free rulebook. 

All these things can lower the stock outside of people who really want just the boxed set and that alone. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Absolutely trumped myself before, just went to go on the GW and FW site and there was a queueing system. Thought for a moment that Dominion was up for pre order and I just completely missed my chance.

Never seen that before, I wonder if they'll be using that for the actual day. 

Although having an hour wait from bang on 10am doesn't give me much hope. 

Edit: Late to the party hahaha. 

Edited by Black_Templar_Lad

I guess its a trial run. There is the Sabbat Worlds Crusade limited edition up today so that might also be another good one for GW to curtail rapid demand on. Though the book itself also has a hardback made-to-order version for 2 weeks; but the limited with coins and art is only 1500 copies.

• Subscriber

Very weird going to the GW site to see what's new this week and being told I have to wait 50minutes.

It would be very interesting to see how this affects sales and site visitor numbers. I can't imagine casual buyers being happy to sit in a long queue and then only have 10min to decide before it kicks you off. 

5 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Very weird going to the GW site to see what's new this week and being told I have to wait 50minutes.

It would be very interesting to see how this affects sales and site visitor numbers. I can't imagine casual buyers being happy to sit in a long queue and then only have 10min to decide before it kicks you off. 

It's for the Dominion preorders.

Either GW annoys people now with waiting or they annoy customers later with no stock XD

Edited by Dankboss
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

It's for the Dominion preorders.

Either GW annoys people now with waiting or they annoy customers later with no stock XD

It could push more people to 3rd party retailer sites. If I'm sat in a queue and can't even browse the rest of the GW range, I'll instead be using my time to try and order from other sites. 

I guess all the negative feedback they had from cursed city has been listened to and at least they're trying something new. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

It looks to adjust itself to an 'actual' time after a short while. I had 40 minutes initially as well (as did most people it seems) and that cut itself down to less than 10 minutes. Presumably the initial wave of people sat waiting makes it panic and predict a much longer time than it actually is.

Interestingly once you've ordered, it kicks you back into another queue. Definitely meant to be an anti-scalper measure, but whether it works or not is another story. Obviously they can't stop 'casual scalpers' (buying 1/2 copies just so they can flip them for a markup) which is presumably the vast majority but if it stops bots getting a dozen or so, well, every little helps.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Were you on the webstore prior to 10:00 or did you go on after the clock had struck the hour?

On at 10:00.

It's fine, at  least I know what to expect now for dominion next weekend. Get on there before 10 and use a couple of devices. 

Maybe I give them too much credit, but i wonder if GW is not playing the long game here with their focus on smaller games. The economy is not going to be great, and they won't want to hinder the coming of new and young players.

I personaly dig this, and I think many people will find the posibility of colecting various functional armies more exciting than investing in a very big one (specially armies were most models feel samey, like fyreslayers). Not everyone sure, but bigger games are still possible.

2 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

I do not have fond memories of the point creep with Fantasy.  By 8th Edition my elite Dwarf Army has 120 troops and several war machines. 

I also don't fondly remember waiting an hour for my poor Skaven opponent to set up his something like 200 models. 

As a Skaven player I can tell you the pain was real. The thing that got me more excited about KoW back in the day was not having to remove models individually. That alone speed up games significantly.

• Thanks 1

Pushing slightly smaller games as standard does broadly fit with GW’s strategies over the last few years RE: WHU, Kill Team, Warcry, etc, a least theoretically. In practice it’s been rather undercut by their seriously cranking up the prices on even these supposedly lower cost entry points.

I could see the same for AoS, a general shift to elites, monsters, heroes as a vague business gesture towards offering more bang for your buck, despite these kits still being increasingly prohibitively expensive. A way for AoS designers to emphasise internally or as part of their strategy that they’re reducing the barrier for entry but not in a way that would actually entail making kits more affordable, which is outside their remit and not something GW in general is interested in.

• Like 1

When I look back at old armies they were much smaller. However at the same time the number of model types per army was also much smaller as well. So it balanced out. Bigger armies are the result of a more diverse army by army model range. Simply put if you've got 5 different models per army players can put most of their models on the table. If you've got 20 different models and some come in 10-30 model blocks suddenly its a lot harder to let people play with all their toys.

I think the best thing is to have cheaper entry games - Underworlds, Warcry - coupled with the main game and then an "apoc" style game after that. That way you satisfy each niche and by having them as their own marketed products you encourage attention upon them. 

The critical end is the smaller games, new people are less adaptive (in general) because its all new so they need clear new intro games to welcome them in. People who own 20K models can often be more adaptive and can play outside of formal formats more so because they've more experience and confidence. They can say "hey lets play 5K aside next week" type games. 

Indeed, which is somewhat an odd choice considering GW is also pushing more model diversity per army right now with armies getting bigger and heck Stormcast have a huge problem with it. 

At the same time they seem to be pushing smaller unit sizes this edition so that might balance it out.

Then again sometimes GW just does stuff. One big issue with their new rule editions has always been that there's more an attitude to "just change stuff up" rather than to perfect and polish what was there. In a sense its them defending you getting a new rules edition because its not just a few correctoins and changes but a whole new experience. 

Yeah, as much as I love the changes we’ve seen so far (I asked for lots of them in their annual surveys), I guess GW turned their back against their ever evolving ruleset and revert back to editions. Note that I am not judging and have no idea if it is a bad thing, just that the original promise is not there

56 minutes ago, Jator said:

I personaly dig this, and I think many people will find the posibility of colecting various functional armies more exciting than investing in a very big one (specially armies were most models feel samey, like fyreslayers). Not everyone sure, but bigger games are still possible.

It is also more expensive. We know that GW has extremely high prices for leaders and centerpieces. More armies, more of such models are required. In other words, the cost of adding points to an existing army is lower than that of adding them to a new army.

39 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I could see the same for AoS, a general shift to elites, monsters, heroes as a vague business gesture towards offering more bang for your buck, despite these kits still being increasingly prohibitively expensive. A way for AoS designers to emphasise internally or as part of their strategy that they’re reducing the barrier for entry but not in a way that would actually entail making kits more affordable, which is outside their remit and not something GW in general is interested in.

I don't know. The cost of a functional AoS army is quite high. I know that, towards the end of WHFB, GW was pushing for those big expensive blobs, so I do not know right now how the cost compares. But I can tell you, I recently estimated the pure mini cost of the sisters of battle army that goonhammer recommended and it is bordering 1000$. No paints, no transport cases, just the boxes of miniatures.

A FS army from this event costs: 605$

• 40 HGB: 45*8= 350$
  • 1 start collecting box :100$
  • 10 VB : 60$
  • 3 heroes : 35*3= 95$

A IDK list from another costs: 573$

• Volturnos: 48$
  • Eidolon: 125$
  • Eels: 8*50 = 400$

And a KO lists costs: 582$

• Endrinmaster With Dirigible Suit: 35
  • Arkanaut Admiral: 30
  • Aether-Khemist: 30
  • Grundstok Gunhauler x2: 50*2
  • Skywardens x2: 44*2
  • Grundstok Thunderers x4: 44*4
  • Arkanaut Ironclad: 123

How much will they cost after the changes?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

It is also more expensive. We know that GW has extremely high prices for leaders and centerpieces. More armies, more of such models are required. In other words, the cost of adding points to an existing army is lower than that of adding them to a new army.

I don't know. The cost of a functional AoS army is quite high. I know that, towards the end of WHFB, GW was pushing for those big expensive blobs, so I do not know right now how the cost compares. But I can tell you, I recently estimated the pure mini cost of the sisters of battle army that goonhammer recommended and it is bordering 1000$. No paints, no transport cases, just the boxes of miniatures.

A FS army from this event costs: 605$

• 40 HGB: 45*8= 350$
  • 1 start collecting box :100$
  • 10 VB : 60$
  • 3 heroes : 35*3= 95$

A IDK list from another costs: 573$

• Volturnos: 48$
  • Eidolon: 125$
  • Eels: 8*50 = 400$

And a KO lists costs: 582$

• Endrinmaster With Dirigible Suit: 35
  • Arkanaut Admiral: 30
  • Aether-Khemist: 30
  • Grundstok Gunhauler x2: 50*2
  • Skywardens x2: 44*2
  • Grundstok Thunderers x4: 44*4
  • Arkanaut Ironclad: 123

How much will they cost after the changes?

Sisters are a horde army though. With a new prices because it is a new range... Sucks but it is what it is.  

It is shame that Morven isn't priced correctly and paragon suits are at 80 but without the adequate stats and also are capped at 3.... Really would like to bring 10 of them in 5 MSU squads that would be 800 points just there + Morven would mean more than a half of your army for sub 200 bucks. But GW is making weird choices. I understand you want to sell just the box and that's it but I don't like how boxed contents dictates you can take only X of them and 2X or 3X  isn't even allowed....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jator said:

Maybe I give them too much credit, but i wonder if GW is not playing the long game here with their focus on smaller games. The economy is not going to be great, and they won't want to hinder the coming of new and young players.

I would agree if 40k wasnt a thing. They did make the table smaller for 40k first and tried increasing points but it didnt last and they reverted and reshuffled points costs there. There is even more rules and more horde armies then there used to be within 40k. 

Who knows...their plans could be vastly different  for AoS.

I for one find it more fun to have more stuff on the table.