The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Yoid said:

Well. Narrative play, Competitive play (matched play) and Open Play are not the same type of games. Even if a player can like all three equally (or dont).

You don't need to know the lore of your army to be a narrative player (of course people can know it and enjoy expanding it). You can simply forge your own lore and still enjoy narrative play.

Narrative dosn't mean creating custom rules for cheating (like in the chess example). Still, I can see a master of chess letting a unskilled player got a tactical advantage of some form to create a fun game. It won't be narrative per se because there would be no narrative involved, it would be more akin to Open Play, wich focus in accesibility.

Narrative play means the main focus of enjoyment comes from the emergent narrative of the game, it includes a lot of things, like choosing to perform an unadvantageous action (charging an enemy hero with yours just for the purpose of having a duel despite that not grantin victory points) but may also exclude this and include other things (like making a list with monsters for the purpose of performing the new titanic duel kaiju style, or selecting an artifact for your hero that match his personality despite being a bad artifact). Notice a narrative action may also be advantageous for the game, I just want to point what is defined as Narrative Play in a comprehensive way.

A Narrative player is gonna be worried about rules and balance and scenarios and everything, because those are the tools that allow he to enact this narrative situations anyway. If your supposed unstoppable daemon is easily stopped because his rules dosn't match his point cost, then bad luck. (*cries in Dexcessa/Synessa canon lore*). Of course you can work your own warscrolls or whathever, but that may be a completely different part of building narrative that you don't enjoy or whathever. Is like wanting a model that dosn't exist and needing to convert it, wich is different from enjoying just painting official models.

I don't mean this as a complain to your points, I get your defense agasint the tribalism of Narrative vs Competitive players. But when you stated we should not ignore the meaning of labels I tought that it was a good idea to actually explain what certain labels really mean.

About the Dominion box. I like the idea of these new armies coming to the game and see them as my rivals sometimes, but they are not for me, so this two days gonna be a little boring until they start talking about the 3.0 ruleset again. I really want to see the new Command Abiities.

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points, it comes back to the label - it might seem like being punctilious, but ‘matched play’ and ‘competitive play’ are not synonymous. And I think you’d find that people don’t actually use those two groups interchangeably, but rather when they’re making the distinction between the two groups are describing  ‘competitive’ as those focused on winning, buying and selling armies on a whim as meta-chasing, or min-maxing unit compositions for efficiency amongst other ‘games’ concepts. 

Most of which can be true for any singular event/game, but it doesn’t preclude even those games from being narrative. Why should a suboptimal charge be the only way a narrative can be told? Why must an efficient list be any less narrative than a themed one? Not that you were suggesting that, as you outlined. But these seem to be the general motivating themes behind labelling someone as competitive rather than narrative.

And to me, when it seems to be used as a negative labelling device, all I hear is, ‘I’m not as good at winning the game as you, so I’m taking the moral high ground of saying I didn’t want to win anyway.’

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Il Maestro said:

And to me, when it seems to be used as a negative labelling device, all I hear is, ‘I’m not as good at winning the game as you, so I’m taking the moral high ground of saying I didn’t want to win anyway.’

People can see through this tactic? 😳

I always say that is part of why I like playing as evil armies since if I win I can be happy to win a game, but if I lose than hey at least the good guys saved the day. Although, as I look at getting an 'ostensibly' good army as my third faction I will have to develop new excuses. 😅 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, Il Maestro said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points, it comes back to the label - it might seem like being punctilious, but ‘matched play’ and ‘competitive play’ are not synonymous. And I think you’d find that people don’t actually use those two groups interchangeably, but rather when they’re making the distinction between the two groups are describing  ‘competitive’ as those focused on winning, buying and selling armies on a whim as meta-chasing, or min-maxing unit compositions for efficiency amongst other ‘games’ concepts. 

Most of which can be true for any singular event/game, but it doesn’t preclude even those games from being narrative. Why should a suboptimal charge be the only way a narrative can be told? Why must an efficient list be any less narrative than a themed one? Not that you were suggesting that, as you outlined. But these seem to be the general motivating themes behind labelling someone as competitive rather than narrative.

That is true, matched play and competitive play are not the same. Is just harder for me to clearly determine the differences between both, is easier to differentiate them from narrative play or open play.

Never happend to me to ear "narrative play" as an excuse to have a moral victory, but I believe it, there is people for everything in this world. Legitimately playing for fun while being bad at the game is ok tho.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

I believe the models on the mist in the Hobgrots shoot weren't revealed (red arrow in the picture bellow). They look really muscular, which doesn't fit anything we saw so far.

Sem título.png

I’m hoping we get a Nob/Brute equivalent of a Kruelboy, something akin to the awesome Killaboss models. I lm also wondering if the nee Kruelboyz get larger the more they fight and win, similar to the traditional Orruks; it does seem that the Killaboss is much larger then his compatriots. 

2 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

I believe the models on the mist in the Hobgrots shoot weren't revealed (red arrow in the picture bellow). They look really muscular, which doesn't fit anything we saw so far.

Sem título.png

Remember when we had those first teasers of the Mirebrute Troggoth in the background and some slightly smaller creatures next to it? That may be those!!

7E57C41F-C67B-44CF-806D-47004F44F734.jpeg.4a66a73783a067b838161bca4d1b35e0.jpeg

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Remember when we had those first teasers of the Mirebrute Troggoth in the background and some slightly smaller creatures next to it? That may be those!!

Good catch! We still have to get those smaller models next to the boss on Troggoth, so maybe we will see a Troggoth unit.

I have two questions on the new edition (apologies if they are answered earlier):

1. Do we have a release date for the Dominion box?

2. With the introduction of the new Stormcast, can old Stormcast be used from a lore perspective? Is there any mechanical downside to using old Liberators, Judicators, etc.?

22 minutes ago, LoopyZebra said:

I have two questions on the new edition (apologies if they are answered earlier):

2. With the introduction of the new Stormcast, can old Stormcast be used from a lore perspective? Is there any mechanical downside to using old Liberators, Judicators, etc.?

Pre Order Date will be announced today/tomorrow the 5th of June.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoopyZebra said:

From a lore perspective there is no reason why the different styles of armour can't mix, it's just like the different marks of armour in the Horus Heresy. As for rules we have to wait until the battletome comes out. 

I hope we get another preview or leak before the box goes on pre order. I love the Stormcast minis and the majority of the Kruleboyz but I'm not sold on the Hobgrotz aesthetic. If it is only a couple of units in a bigger army that aren't vital, then I'll probably collect the army, but if more Hobgrotz in the current style end up being a large part of the army, I'll probably give it a miss. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LoopyZebra said:

How Age of Sigmar's Dominion Boxed Set Draws on 40 Years of Warhammer History - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

"Check back tomorrow to find out when you’ll be able to pre-order the Dominion boxed set!"

Indomitus box
Overlord
Warden
Plasmancer
Thralls
Skor Lord
Skor Destroyers
Plasmacyte
Reanimator
Swarms
Warriors

Separate
Chronomancer
Psychomancer
Flayed Ones
Hexmark
Void Dragon
Lokhust Destroyer
Ophy Destroyers
Szaraekh
Doomstalker
Terrain

Szeras excluded due to being a Psychic Awakening thing.
Necrons being the non-posterboy faction analogous to Kboyz.
Judging from the list, if this edition release cycle is anywhere the size of last year's, there are a fair few more things to come.

Edited by Indecisive
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, LoopyZebra said:

The lore difference between old Stormcast and new Stormcast is that the new are equiped with a new type of armor that allow them to pierce the Chaos Cloud extended in the sky of the realms. So the new Stormcast work like the old did, going down to the realms in lightnings and then back when they die. Old Stormcast are stuck in the mortal realms, forced to fight the long war and are in danger to die forever if they are killed. They can and should fight together. We don't know what production value Sigmar got for the new armor, if he will be able to update all Stormcast equipment eventually, or how many crusades the old Stormcast would need to do marching to realmgates in order to finally go back at home and update their equipment to regain their inmortality.

This will probably be reflected in the new Stormcast rules, but if they are pointed accordingly the mechanical differences may not be downsides.

Edited by Yoid
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

For comparison, Kboyz so far

Dominion
Killaboss Gnashtooth
Shaman
Killaboss
Murknob
Boltboyz
Gutrippaz
Slittaz

Separate
Killbow
Breakaboss

The cavalry of some sort from Grimdark seems really likely, but I won't quite place it yet.

Grimdark said hobgrot wolriders and more warmachines will come.

Someone spot on pictures some kind of "small" swamp Troggoth and "smaller" gnasha tooth cavalry.

37 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I know everyone is hype for Dominion, but reminder to pre order your crab today. We need to show GW that crabs are the future for AoS.

Wouldn't it be lovely if GW noticed how excited everyone was for the crab, and started using it in Idoneth in the same way Grphy-hounds are used in Stormcast?

In other news, I wonder how long before they unveil the other Stormcast and Kruel Boyz units that will be coming out after Dominion. The sneak peek for both was nice, but I'm quite keen to learn more.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Wouldn't it be lovely if GW noticed how excited everyone was for the crab, and started using it in Idoneth in the same way Grphy-hounds are used in Stormcast?

In other news, I wonder how long before they unveil the other Stormcast and Kruel Boyz units that will be coming out after Dominion. The sneak peek for both was nice, but I'm quite keen to learn more.

I think sometime in July after Dominion has been released we may have another Preview showing off the individual Stormcast and Kruelboyz releases.

• Like 1

So, this is gonna be under the assumption that Kruleboyz are apart of Warclans.  Ironjawz have 10 different units, as do Bonesplitterz (including underworlds warbands). Throw in Kragnos, and that leaves OWC at 21 units right now.  There have been 9 confirmed Kruleboyz units (7 in dominion + the 2 revealed), which would bump the total up to 30 (interestingly just above the unit count for their fellow starter set faction, the Nighthaunt).

Now, the Gloomspite have 33 units and the Ogors have 35. I think the KB will receive at least 3-4 additional units, bringing OWC roughly up to par with their Destruction counterparts. Although if we’re really lucky, maybe they’ll throw a bone (hehe) to the Bonesplitterz and update one of their many terrible resin hero kits. Who knows, eh?

• Like 2