The Rumour Thread

I really wish people would stop spreading the false dichotomy of ‘narrative’ and ‘competitive’ players - they are not mutually exclusive beings. There are top-level players that know more lore than most GW employees, and there are those that play only Path to Glory with friends that don’t even know their own factions history properly.

Literally every army you see on the table is narrative, because it’s been made with the same book that is an entirely narrative creation. Now, that’s not to say that Tzeentch Archaon vs. Tzeentch Archaon is going to be the title of the next Black Library best-seller, but accidental match ups don’t make the people playing them any less narratively inclined. And I don’t buy that wanting to win or being specific about rules makes you less narrative either - how many of you would play chess with your brother/sister but let their pawns move like queens for narrative reasons?

Wanting to play competitively and wanting to win doesn’t preclude you from being narrative. Hell, even selling your army and minimally 3-colour painting the next ‘meta’ choice doesn’t preclude you from being narrative. Would you ever make the distinction between a guy that plays football in the park every other week with his mates and Cristiano Ronaldo as the ‘enthusiast’ vs. ‘competitive’ player because he’s played for a bunch of different elite teams? Of course not, he’s just arguably the best in the world, and the bloke down at the park isn’t.

To me, the continued assertion that you must identify as either a ‘narrative’ or ‘competitive’ gamer just feels like a group of players trying to create a pejorative label for those that like to be their very best in order to excuse their own lack of understanding and expertise of the game. And, ironically, those same ‘competitive’ gamers would more than likely bend over backwards to help you understand and learn the game better so that we could all improve together.

Not a rumour, just my 2 cents worth on choosing words correctly, because even accidental labels have meaning.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Maybe he preorder starts this weekend? :D

I‘d Love it

That would be awesome. And if it’s a 2 week pre-order it’d be released on the 19th, the date GrimDark said would have a heap of traffic. They thought it’d be pre-order date, but could be release.

1 hour ago, Il Maestro said:

I really wish people would stop spreading the false dichotomy of ‘narrative’ and ‘competitive’ players - they are not mutually exclusive beings. There are top-level players that know more lore than most GW employees, and there are those that play only Path to Glory with friends that don’t even know their own factions history properly.

Literally every army you see on the table is narrative, because it’s been made with the same book that is an entirely narrative creation. Now, that’s not to say that Tzeentch Archaon vs. Tzeentch Archaon is going to be the title of the next Black Library best-seller, but accidental match ups don’t make the people playing them any less narratively inclined. And I don’t buy that wanting to win or being specific about rules makes you less narrative either - how many of you would play chess with your brother/sister but let their pawns move like queens for narrative reasons?

Wanting to play competitively and wanting to win doesn’t preclude you from being narrative. Hell, even selling your army and minimally 3-colour painting the next ‘meta’ choice doesn’t preclude you from being narrative. Would you ever make the distinction between a guy that plays football in the park every other week with his mates and Cristiano Ronaldo as the ‘enthusiast’ vs. ‘competitive’ player because he’s played for a bunch of different elite teams? Of course not, he’s just arguably the best in the world, and the bloke down at the park isn’t.

To me, the continued assertion that you must identify as either a ‘narrative’ or ‘competitive’ gamer just feels like a group of players trying to create a pejorative label for those that like to be their very best in order to excuse their own lack of understanding and expertise of the game. And, ironically, those same ‘competitive’ gamers would more than likely bend over backwards to help you understand and learn the game better so that we could all improve together.

Not a rumour, just my 2 cents worth on choosing words correctly, because even accidental labels have meaning.

Well. Narrative play, Competitive play (matched play) and Open Play are not the same type of games. Even if a player can like all three equally (or dont).

You don't need to know the lore of your army to be a narrative player (of course people can know it and enjoy expanding it). You can simply forge your own lore and still enjoy narrative play.

Narrative dosn't mean creating custom rules for cheating (like in the chess example). Still, I can see a master of chess letting a unskilled player got a tactical advantage of some form to create a fun game. It won't be narrative per se because there would be no narrative involved, it would be more akin to Open Play, wich focus in accesibility.

Narrative play means the main focus of enjoyment comes from the emergent narrative of the game, it includes a lot of things, like choosing to perform an unadvantageous action (charging an enemy hero with yours just for the purpose of having a duel despite that not grantin victory points) but may also exclude this and include other things (like making a list with monsters for the purpose of performing the new titanic duel kaiju style, or selecting an artifact for your hero that match his personality despite being a bad artifact). Notice a narrative action may also be advantageous for the game, I just want to point what is defined as Narrative Play in a comprehensive way.

A Narrative player is gonna be worried about rules and balance and scenarios and everything, because those are the tools that allow he to enact this narrative situations anyway. If your supposed unstoppable daemon is easily stopped because his rules dosn't match his point cost, then bad luck. (*cries in Dexcessa/Synessa canon lore*). Of course you can work your own warscrolls or whathever, but that may be a completely different part of building narrative that you don't enjoy or whathever. Is like wanting a model that dosn't exist and needing to convert it, wich is different from enjoying just painting official models.

I don't mean this as a complain to your points, I get your defense agasint the tribalism of Narrative vs Competitive players. But when you stated we should not ignore the meaning of labels I tought that it was a good idea to actually explain what certain labels really mean.

About the Dominion box. I like the idea of these new armies coming to the game and see them as my rivals sometimes, but they are not for me, so this two days gonna be a little boring until they start talking about the 3.0 ruleset again. I really want to see the new Command Abiities.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I‘d Love it

I think it's more probable we'll see a longer window between the preorder announcement and preorder, not shorter. GW did a similar thing with Indomitus, announcing the July 11th Preorder on July 1st, then releasing 2 weeks after preorder, on July 25th. We might not get the two-week preorder window, given that it was pretty much completely superfluous as Indomitus sold out in 15 minutes, especially if they have no plans to do an emergency made-to-order run.

It makes sense to give customers (and marketing) more lead time on a big hype product, rather than less.

Edit: There's also a second wave of Sisters releases likely to go up for preorder next week, and potentially the Beast Snaggas box as well. I think it's most likely we get the Dominion preorder announced for June 19th, with release on either June 26th or July 3rd.

Edited by EnumaEilish
  • Like 3

With Hallowheart being discontinued and the amount of Warcry Terrain crawling into every promo picture for Dominion,

I can see our 'Battlezone' equivalent release being the Warcry Terrain repackaged.

It wouldnt suprise me at all if the Command Edition is just the repackaged Catacombs version of the terrain (one of each building sprue + belltower)

Today’s article, while almost pointless besides the announcement of a pre-order date being announced tomorrow, gave us some more shots of the new models and gosh darn dang are they the coolest models GW have ever made. The Orruks are SO. GOOD!!! And the Stormcast are so much better! It seriously scratches that little itch I’ve always had for Sigmar just to be a TINY bit more grounded. 

Delicious. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Still can't get over the Hobgrots guys. I'm planning my Destruction Force and just can't get over how awesome they are. 

For me partly because they are so different like they've just been thrown in and seem to have their own motive, but the design and colour scheme is great.

It's just gotta hint at a full Chaos Dwarf tease, they are so thematically different from the rest of the force and yet are the unit predominately featured in the box, with what appears to be the most options. If that's not a hint I don't know what is.

I gotta say, the disappointment of seeing that beautiful range be purged from Forge World, destroying all future plans, and only then to see fresh rumours on them from trusted sources, what a hobby la.

Big hype. Very big hype.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

r/ageofsigmar - This might be a hint to the new army. What do you think it is?

going back to this banner, if Red is Kruleboyz and Yellow is Hobgrot

maybe grey is the Mirebrute Troggoths, hopefully there more units for the other two species though Kruleboyz Orruk are probably the main draw for the army

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, novakai said:

r/ageofsigmar - This might be a hint to the new army. What do you think it is?

going back to this banner, if Red is Kruleboyz and Yellow is Hobgrot

maybe grey is the Mirebrute Troggoths, hopefully there more units for the other two species though Kruleboyz Orruk are probably the main draw for the army

New Troggoths are always welcome!!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Still can't get over the Hobgrots guys. I'm planning my Destruction Force and just can't get over how awesome they are. 

For me partly because they are so different like they've just been thrown in and seem to have their own motive, but the design and colour scheme is great.

It's just gotta hint at a full Chaos Dwarf tease, they are so thematically different from the rest of the force and yet are the unit predominately featured in the box, with what appears to be the most options. If that's not a hint I don't know what is.

I gotta say, the disappointment of seeing that beautiful range be purged from Forge World, destroying all future plans, and only then to see fresh rumours on them from trusted sources, what a hobby la.

Big hype. Very big hype.

The hobgrots are growing on me the more I look at them. I got down my Tamurkhan copy and read through about the hobgoblins and am getting more hyped. Working AoS rules or not, having those new hobgrots painted up in the cabinet alongside my LoA force is something I'm really looking forward to. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

preorder date tomorrow and still haven't heard back from my LGS if they're actually taking preorders 😢

As someone who works at a LGS, we haven't heard anything from GW yet in terms of pricing or allocation. We probably won't see anything like that until the following Monday. 

I'm anxious to take people's pre-orders but it's probably going to be a minute. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

It’s interesting how extraordinarily careful GW seem with these Dominion promo shots. Not a single non-previewed model snuck into the background. Not even a model part just out of shot.

I believe the models on the mist in the Hobgrots shoot weren't revealed (red arrow in the picture bellow). They look really muscular, which doesn't fit anything we saw so far.

Sem título.png

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

I believe the models on the mist in the Hobgrots shoot weren't revealed (red arrow in the picture bellow). They look really muscular, which doesn't fit anything we saw so far.

Sem título.png

Could be a model, but it might be artwork. Something about it looks flat.

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I‘d Love it

most likely not because the shops havent heard about it and they get to preorder one week earlier than the customer base.