The Rumour Thread

27 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

I might have missed this, had a really busy bank holiday!! .... Do we have any official confirmations if what's going on with faction specific battalions? 

Nothing specific.  The current rumour as far as I can tell is that there are going to be changes for matched play battalions.  There's one line of thinking that we may have generic battalions that work in a similar way to 40k detachments and the battalions in battletomes will become narrative/open play only.  Hopefully we'll start finding out a bit more in WarCom articles in a few weeks.

14 minutes ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

Since they mentioned general battalions in the "8 great new stufff"-videos it feels like that is something that will become more important, and thus that faction batallions will be gone in matched play.

Thanks guys... Personally I think this is probably a positive move... I find the battallions somewhat restrictive as they are.... Some are just so good that if you want to play the faction you literally have no choice unless you want to be beaten alot.... Im hoping more general battallions with standard buffs will let us be more creative with our list building

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

For me the only positive but not guaranted move inducted by the loss of faction battalion is the fact that we won't be looking after minimum drop anymore but i don't know how it works now in 40k

40k Battallions dont affect drops at all ... they are just a way of organising a list in a manner that prevents spam to be fair... they do grant (or rather subtract now in 9th) command points though ... It's actually an extremely good system

40 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Chaos dwarves (in WHFB lore) did slowly turn into stone and replaced legs with machines to be able to keep functioning in early stages of the petrification.

indeed, that was the daemonsmiths. It was the price they paid for manipulating magic as Dwarves were extremely hardy to magic, and in so doing would also struggle to manipulate it.

Now, in the novel "Wulfric",  Wulfric ends up in Zharr Garroth I think it was, and confronts a Chaos dwarf who is in what is essentially a dreadknight suit, powered by a wheezing daemon engine, all smoke and pistons.

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

I wonder what kind of cost these new battalions will have. It always felt odd to me that they cost so much to start with and then on top of that mid 2.0 GW increased the cost by making you pay for a command point for each battalion. 

I wonder about this as well. There could be a lot of changes to the battalion system.

It could be very close to how it works now, with generic battalions giving you CP, artefacts, abilities and reduced drops. Then, I'd expect battalions to cost around 100-150 points.

Or it could be that all of this gets removed. In which case I would expect generic battalions to be free and just function as ways to shape list building.

I think it's more likely that the function of battalions will stay somewhat close to what it is right now, though. So I would guess that generic battalions will be optional, grant an artefact, reduce drops and cost points. CP generation seems to be getting reworked, though, so not sure if extra command points stay.

Yeah battalions becoming 40K detachments would be great. Tbh, changing a few things to be like 40K would be a good move. Not shooting into melee, characters being immune to ranged attacks while close to allied units, battalions becoming detachments, new cover rules. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ranged units being able to shoot into melee opponents they're engaged with bugs the hell out of me, the idea that they would be able to switch between ranged weapons and hand to hand weapons on the fly while being attacked and actually be able to hit with the ranged weapons without penalty is so immersion breaking.

Like "oh no, the archers we charged down are shooting us in their shooting phase! We are powerless to prevent this!"

You should have to pick which one (ranged/melee) to use imo, and the ranged weapon should be at a penalty to hit unless it's a pistol or something else designed for close range blasting 😤

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Ranged units being able to shoot into melee opponents they're engaged with bugs the hell out of me, the idea that they would be able to switch between ranged weapons and hand to hand weapons on the fly while being attacked and actually be able to hit with the ranged weapons without penalty is so immersion breaking.

Like "oh no, the archers we charged down are shooting us in their shooting phase! We are powerless to prevent this!"

You should have to pick which one (ranged/melee) to use imo, and the ranged weapon should be at a penalty to hit unless it's a pistol or something else designed for close range blasting 😤

While I agree on a basic level it is so hard to balance just right, but there must be a happy medium between archers not caring at all about the knights that just charged into them, and also that a 30 man archer unit suddenly can't do anything at all if tagged by 1 grot within 2,8". 

However with the rumored flee response to charges, this might swing it in the archers favor by so much, that having them unable to shoot if engaged is sensible.

I hope all in all we get something like 40k detachments, allowing some focused list but still with a lot of freedom. Right now too many armies simply build most of the same core every time, due to a few very strong battalions. I guess some factions will be sad to see these go, especially Fyreslayers, imagine those buggers without lords of the lodge.

I really hope we get some detachment style stuff, so you can choose to build a core around "elites" although possibly with a slightly less command point bonus or whatever they got in store. For example so we could see Bonereapers play with Stalkers and Immortis guards as the backbone. Or stormcasts without the mandatory 3x5 derpy liberators waiting to get killed.

I am also super excited about what they got in store with the new hero and monster rules. Some universal rules to have heroes or monsters not just count as 1 model for objectives would go a long way, but in general I hope for some changes to how model capture objectives, as it just really punishes some armies and lists right now that are already down.

• Like 2

I wonder what shape Grungni’s craftsmanship will take. On the one hand, it could be mecha — walking suits, dreadnought types, heavy artillery. On the other, you have all his ‘arcane’ smithing — the Stormcast armour etc. A mech suit would be great, but if he can build this mystical plate armour imbued with the essence of lightning, capable of stormstriking and firing its wearers’ souls back to Azyr, I’m sort of expecting something at least AS cool for his own people 🤞🏻 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

This is probably the one thing in switching from historical to AoS that I just can’t “get over” in sense of immersion breaking, whether it is shoot while in combat, shoot into a combat where other units in your army are engaged without penalty, or the whole “god funnel” where 30 archers can target a single Hero somehow…. Add in the non-sensible terrain issues and pretty much I just have to get through the Shooting Phase with brain logic turned off.  Lots o& potential solutions but the area of new rules I’ll read first.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

This is probably the one thing in switching from historical to AoS that I just can’t “get over” in sense of immersion breaking, whether it is shoot while in combat, shoot into a combat where other units in your army are engaged without penalty, or the whole “god funnel” where 30 archers can target a single Hero somehow…. Add in the non-sensible terrain issues and pretty much I just have to get through the Shooting Phase with brain logic turned off.  Lots o& potential solutions but the area of new rules I’ll read first.

Aye.

You'd think that we could happily say that if you shoot into combat then you have a chance of hitting your own.

If you're in combat and you want to shoot, then only the non committed models can shoot.

As for the hero sniping, well, if it's not a thing, then you'll just get the next model or faction with a warscroll that allows you to target characters without giving them a look out sir or any immunity.

Oh well, we'll wait and see what comes.

• Like 1

LOVE THAT DAWNBRINGER CRUSADE ART

But aren't they more like events instead of new Factions ?

IIRC the Indomitus Crusade in 40k isn't a Faction per se, it's just an historical event where you can mix all your Imperial forces, just like here we'll apparently see Stormcast, Duardin and Humans crusading together :) ;)

@Chikout the Order of Azyr being a subfaction of the Devoted is known fact since Grand Alliance : Order release in 2015. Given flagellant still has the Devoted keyword (like the Excelsior Warpriest had), and the new Priestess and Witch Hunters in Cursed City and BR : Kragnos belongs to the Order or the Sigmarite Faith, if GW updates Cities of Sigmar I guess it will be via the Devoted 😍

@CommissarRotke the War Altar are classic WFB arts, it's 40k that stole from us ! :P

• Like 1

Shooting has been a nightmare in AoS. It fluctuates between being completely useless and horrible overpowered. What's more rather than shooting being particularly logical, in that a big block of archers should be a good anti horde choice, it is almost always used to snipe heroes.

I don't think it would make sense to ban shooting while in combat. For one it would ruin KO.

Likewise I agree it's stupid if 30 archers can't shoot because they are in combat with a single grot. 

Also you have models where it makes sense that they can shoot in combat. For instance, the harpooners on the howdah while the Leviadon itself is doing the fighting.

Personally I would like to see weapons have keywords like in 40k.

For instance the "skirmish" weapon keyword could mean a ranged weapon can be used to shoot while in combat. The "deadeye" keyword allows heroes to be targeted and ignores look out sir.

• Like 7

What's the likelyhood we see a large repointing of all AoS factions at the beginning of AoS3? I think they did something similar in 9th, and it seems like Kragnos and Alarielle were pointed pretty highly (Kragnos especially) - perhaps in preparation for 3rd?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Shooting has been a nightmare in AoS. It fluctuates between being completely useless and horrible overpowered. What's more rather than shooting being particularly logical, in that a big block of archers should be a good anti horde choice, it is almost always used to snipe heroes.

I don't think it would make sense to ban shooting while in combat. For one it would ruin KO.

Likewise I agree it's stupid if 30 archers can't shoot because they are in combat with a single grot. 

Also you have models where it makes sense that they can shoot in combat. For instance, the harpooners on the howdah while the Leviadon itself is doing the fighting.

Personally I would like to see weapons have keywords like in 40k.

For instance the "skirmish" weapon keyword could mean a ranged weapon can be used to shoot while in combat. The "deadeye" keyword allows heroes to be targeted and ignores look out sir.

It has never been shooting in general that was a problem, it has always been key units shooting very far and very accurately that has been the problem. There has been a lot of power creep in both the range and reliability of ranged units.

Nobody seemed to mind when Judicators were firing off one damage shots from 24" away for 160 points, but now we have lumineth archers doing a billion mortal wounds from the other side of the table with no line of sight required. The issue isnt necessarily the damage per point, it's that certain units do significant damage and some armies just can't do anything about it.

I think KO are well designed because their guns are short enough range that it gives your opponent a chance to react after they shoot, even if you have the option to pack up in your zeppelin and fly away later. It's fun to try to predict where they are going to land their gunships and catch them before they zip off again. Stormcast, Seraphon, Tzeentch, and Lumineth shooting is non-interactive and not fun to play against. 

• Like 4