The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

What is truly awe inspiring is the number of warscrolls they have. Do we need another "generic fantasy figurine with mega armor"?

Sorry to hate on them, but I took a look recently and I was shocked.

They do indeed have quite a lot. As does Cities of Sigmar - which has even more - and Slaves to Darkness - which has just a little less. Granted, the latest wave is probably going to put them over Cities for number of warscrolls.

I strongly suspect that we're going to start seeing some consolidation though; if not this edition, almost certainly in the next one. It's also been rumored that this edition is going to focus more heavily on Wave 2 releases for many of the factions, which depending on the size of the release will probably bring several of the factions in line with Stormcast.

I'm no SCE expert but I imagine it wouldn't take much effort to cut the number of warscrolls down. One example which immediately comes to mind: just have a Vanguard Raptor's warscroll with the option to take either/or, instead of two separate. 

I think Stormcast have the potential for some really interesting stories. They messed up in the beginning with the (imo) poorly written Realm Gate Wars series, but they've improved considerably and they have a strong background that allows for a tragic hero.

However, I don't think they quite fit the bill of "human" narratively.

Don't get me wrong, they have humanity. But they do not have the same struggles as a human (who also don't have the same struggles as a Stormcast).

To present two narratives:

A newly forged Stormcast is sent back down to a long campaign to fight against chaos who is currently trying to besiege a city. This is important to them because this city is - or at least was - their home. Their family may still live, and so they fight onwards through hordes of barbarians and mutated warriors. Time and time again, they are struck down and reforged, but they return to the fight. Once they have saved the city, the stormcast has lost so much of themselves they don't even remember what they were fighting for

Or 

A normal human on the other hand may be trapped inside of the city, trying to move deeper and deeper underground as the chaos incursion breaks through their meagre defenses. They've lost so much already - they weren't strong enough to protect their loved ones and now they can only flee. They think themselves a coward, but know there was no way to stand up to the threat. In fact, they know that if they are caught, their soul will either be snuffed out or worse - be the play thing of daemons. Their only hope for salvation is escape, and that is less likely by the day.

Both of these could be interesting and potentially tragic stories, both looking at humanity from the perspective of a superhuman and a normal human. But they are not interchangeable - a normal human could not fit the narrative of the first story, and a Stormcast would not fit the narrative of the second. 

I think when people say that they want more humans in the narrative, they don't mean anything with humanity or just so happens to be human (otherwise chaos stories would also fit the bill). I think they mean something that looks at the ordinary person and how they survive against all odds - whether through bravery, grit, guile, or faith. Stormcast can be very interesting and human, but they're not a good replacement for the everyman - not only do they have super powers, but they are not mortal. And a person confronting their own mortality is distinctly human.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

GW really likes to release a new army in late Q3 in time for the holiday sales, so theres a good chance we see chorfs in October

Only thing that makes me sceptical is that it's a new edition year. After the big launch they usually have the Space Marine/Stormcast and their opponent's new wave of multi-part models release, then let the new edition breathe a bit whilst releasing updated books for the other armies.

I think Gloomspite were announced at Christmas 2018? Presumably a Chaos Dwarf range would be even bigger and not dealing with Covid production delays so I could easily see it slipping into Q1/2 2022.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

27 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

They do indeed have quite a lot. As does Cities of Sigmar - which has even more - and Slaves to Darkness - which has just a little less. Granted, the latest wave is probably going to put them over Cities for number of warscrolls.

I strongly suspect that we're going to start seeing some consolidation though; if not this edition, almost certainly in the next one. It's also been rumored that this edition is going to focus more heavily on Wave 2 releases for many of the factions, which depending on the size of the release will probably bring several of the factions in line with Stormcast.

Wave 2 for all Factions is something I really want this Edition. Order far outweighs every other Alliance and Destructions is the smallest. I could see them releasing Wave 2 for an Order Faction then Chaos, Order then Destruction, Order then Death and so on. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

What is truly awe inspiring is the number of warscrolls they have. Do we need another "generic fantasy figurine with mega armor"?

Sorry to hate on them, but I took a look recently and I was shocked.

Now, if we‘re talking rework, I agree. They desperately need one. The amount of warscrolls is atrocious. As are their earlier models. 

But hey, that’s what we have BR:Bela‘kor for. Now, that they need new armor to savely return to Azyr, it’s the perfect time to redo all the units & get rid if some.

• Like 1

I think Chaos Dwarves will be an expansion on Slaves to Darkness in the same way that Kruleboyz is an expansion on Warclans.

For the same reason, kurnothi will be an expansion on Slyvaneth and Umbraneth will be an expansion on Daughters of Khaine.

I think we're at saturation point now for new factions, and I expect to see new ranges added to existing armies. Can't see there being another two factions a year for the next few years.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

26 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Wave 2 for all Factions is something I really want this Edition. Order far outweighs every other Alliance and Destructions is the smallest. I could see them releasing Wave 2 for an Order Faction then Chaos, Order then Destruction, Order then Death and so on. 

Same.

It's cool that aos gets so many new armies, but I'd like to see them expand the existing factions a bit.

I hope Kruelboyz (I hate the name btw) are a sign of this. Visually distinctive but fit within an existing army.

Hopefully we do get Kurnothi too as an expansion for sylvaneth. 

My wish for Idoneth is they go more into the sea theme rather than the elf theme. All the elf purists can play Lumineth. Give us crabs, squid, octopus, angry fish whatever.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I've said this a few times but unfortunately, based on past and current practices, it is impossible for gw to do proper waves of releases for every faction within one edition. We will get at most 12 full sized waves of minis this edition, with one off heroes or underworlds warbands for the rest. 

• Like 1

I don't think every faction really needs a 2nd wave. Speaking for NH, I think we could go the whole edition without any need for new models and I'm sure there are others (Nurgle, I'm looking at you). What we do need mind... a new tome!!

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zamerion said:

RumourEngine221 Jun1 Content

KHARADRON GOLEM? 

We’ve been tinkering with the Rumour Engine in a way that would make a Big Mek or Cogsmith proud.’

Surely this is a sign of a dwarf-associated release? And that ankle joint makes it look like metal ball and socket sort of arrangement, so my money is on a robot golem of some sort 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, it's not just the form. 

Stormcast are lightning golems fueled by the souls of fallen heroes, that lose more and more of them the more Stormcast the become.

So while some Hamlet statements become more true, others degrade.

The definition of what a human is, is quite central to whether or not a Stormcast (or vampire) is still human.

I would say that losing the body, as well as abrasion of free will damages the entity's adherance to the definition of humans.

On the other hand, when vampires are just pawns to Nagash, said free will is also gone. They lose different parts of themselves in the process.

I think the ability to have free will is the most central thing to being a human. Losing that strips humanity from the entity.

In short: Stay away from gods.

I think we are on the same page here my friend, the Hamlet joke was simply a tease. I just think that I fundamentally see the humanity in struggle of trying to maintain one's humanity. I guess in a sense we can consider the Vampire and Stormcast two sides of the same coin. But as you said they lose different parts of themselves and so their struggle with humanity is notably different even though both grapple with immortality and free will. It would be nice if the Stormcast learned a little of Vampire's strive for independence, but Sigmar seems to only target the most faithful whereas Nagash looks for the most duplicitous. 

I will also echo the lesson of staying away from the gods, I think that a lot of the Mortal Realms issues would have been resolved if more people followed that advice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

My totally baseless speculation is that we will see a range refresh (Seraphon, Skaven, BoC or Mawtribes) in October, then Nurgle (because its a relatively easy book to update) alongside something else in January, then a new army (Chorfs?) in approx March/April.

I expect most of this summer will be focused on Kruelboyz / new Stormcast stuff as well as new starter sets and what  not.

We can take a look at the release schedule of the last edition for reference, that might give us an idea what to expect as far as battletome only (or maybe one hero or something), range refresh, range expansion and new army releases. I'm looking at all the battletome releases after the logo change and going off of memory concerning associated model releases, so I will likely get a few wrong:

• Nurgle: Minimal models
  • Legions of Nagash: Battletome only?
  • Daughters of Khaine: Minimal models
  • Idoneth Deepkin: New army
  • EDITION CHANGE
  • Stormcast Eternals: Range expansion
  • Nighthaunt: New army
  • Beasts of Chaos: Minimal models?
  • Gloomspite Gitz: Range expansion/refresh
  • Flesh-Eater Courts: Minimal models
  • Skaven: Minimal models
  • Khorne: Minimal models
  • Fyreslayers: Minimal models
  • Slaanesh: Range expansion/refresh
  • Sylvaneth: Minimal models?
  • Cities of Sigmar: Battletome only
  • Orruk Warclans: Battletome only
  • Ossiarch Bonereapers: New army
  • Ogor Mawtribes: Minimal models
  • Slaves to Darkness: Minimal models/refresh
  • Tzeentch: Battletome only
  • Kharadron Overlords: Battletome only
  • Seraphon: Battletome only
  • Lumineth Realmlords: New army
  • Sons of Behemat: New army (but only one kit)
  • Slaanesh: Range expansion
  • Daughters of Khaine: Kinda range expansion?
  • Lumineth Realmlords: Range expansion
  • Soulblight Gravelords: Range expansion/refresh
  • EDITION CHANGE
  • Stormcast Eternals: Range expansion/refresh
  • Kruleboyz: New army/range expansion

Given this, I think it's reasonable to expect another battletome or two this year, and a more significant model release for a faction early next year. I think Nurgle and Beasts are good candidates for minimal updates and IDK might be due for their second wave.

I don't think we will see as many battletome-only updates this time around, since the need to give every faction a working tome is not there like it was in AoS 2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Same.

It's cool that aos gets so many new armies, but I'd like to see them expand the existing factions a bit.

I hope Kruelboyz (I hate the name btw) are a sign of this. Visually distinctive but fit within an existing army.

Hopefully we do get Kurnothi too as an expansion for sylvaneth. 

My wish for Idoneth is they go more into the sea theme rather than the elf theme. All the elf purists can play Lumineth. Give us crabs, squid, octopus, angry fish whatever.

I agree. Kurnoth should be within Sylvaneth and Umbraneth part of DOK.

In regards Idoneth I hope they get another Battleline unit and then Monstrous Ocean life upon Monstrous Ocean life. Expand upon what makes them unique!! Look how gangbusters people went for the Crab!!

4 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I think Chaos Dwarves will be an expansion on Slaves to Darkness in the same way that Kruleboyz is an expansion on Warclans.

For the same reason, kurnothi will be an expansion on Slyvaneth and Umbraneth will be an expansion on Daughters of Khaine.

I think we're at saturation point now for new factions, and I expect to see new ranges added to existing armies. Can't see there being another two factions a year for the next few years.

I agree mare, especially with Sylvaneth and Kurnothi and DOK and Umbraneth.

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

I've said this a few times but unfortunately, based on past and current practices, it is impossible for gw to do proper waves of releases for every faction within one edition. We will get at most 12 full sized waves of minis this edition, with one off heroes or underworlds warbands for the rest. 

Yeah that's what I would assume as well. Some Factions need entire waves such as BOC, Skaven, Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Idoneth and Mawtribes.

Others such as Tzeentch and Nurgle could do with a new unit or Character and then some like Sons of Behemat and Lumineth I dont expect to be updated at all, maybe a terrain piece but nothing huge.

Edited by KingBrodd

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Genestealer cults shoes.

Some models have that similar  pattern.

1622545901405.jpg

Given that we have another rumor engine that looks like a cultist holding a detonator, maybe we have a unit of saboteurs, one of which has a prosthetic leg from handling explosives.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Il Maestro said:

We’ve been tinkering with the Rumour Engine in a way that would make a Big Mek or Cogsmith proud.’

Surely this is a sign of a dwarf-associated release? And that ankle joint makes it look like metal ball and socket sort of arrangement, so my money is on a robot golem of some sort 

Surely it’s just as much a sign that this is an Ork release..?

It doesn’t match Kharadrons. I could see it being Squats (maybe for Necromunda), as the shoe matches GSC and both have a mining background. The actual leg is similar to the Kastelans for AdMech, so something Imperium makes sense. 

14 minutes ago, EnumaEilish said:

Given that we have another rumor engine that looks like a cultist holding a detonator, maybe we have a unit of saboteurs, one of which has a prosthetic leg from handling explosives.

Looks like something much bigger. Probably some kind of suit or heavy walker. 

41 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Surely it’s just as much a sign that this is an Ork release..?

It doesn’t match Kharadrons. I could see it being Squats (maybe for Necromunda), as the shoe matches GSC and both have a mining background. The actual leg is similar to the Kastelans for AdMech, so something Imperium makes sense. 

It also doesn't match the Necromunda squats, but it does seem like a very short leg, and not orky.

• Like 1