The Rumour Thread

Just now, TheOtherJosh said:

GHB 2017 pre-order is next Saturday the 19th.

Release day is Sat the 26th. So .... likely the 26th for the Azyr / AoS app.... (give or take a day or so given the weekend).

I hope it's that's quick. Won't be able to pick the book up until the new month. Pay the subscription though so will be reliant on the app until I can. 

4 hours ago, Tidings said:

Is the Daughters of Khaine the only set with Aelves? I'm still hoping for a faction update for Wanderers down the road, but doesn't the inclusion of this box sorta imply that Aelves aren't getting an update? If they were, I doubt they would create this bundle.

With the variety in these boxes, I'm actually really surprised there's not a Wanders set in there too. Maybe it's a sign that GW [has bigger things coming/has completely forgotten about] elves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bsharitt said:

With the variety in these boxes, I'm actually really surprised there's not a Wanders set in there too. Maybe it's a sign that GW [has bigger things coming/has completely forgotten about] elves.

I'm just sad the Daughters box is more expensive than an SC. Witch elves aren't worth half of what they cost as a kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I think in general, GW tends to do these things in sets. The theme of these sets is obviously Allies, and they obviously wanted 2 kits for each Grand Alliance. I think they also wanted to put in some of the more interesting kits as allies, as you're generally not going to take plain old troops in your allies slot. Lastly, kills 2 birds with 1 stone to give some of the more minor factions some love with some combo kits.

That being said, Slaves to Darkness feels like the odd pick in this case (Already having a Start Collecting, being a fairly mainstream army). Not that the kit isn't interesting, but I think it shows that the more auxillary factions for Chaos don't really have enough depth in their plastic range to support an allies box.

It could be a sign that in future, the races that got allegiance abilities like Free Peoples, Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Brayherds, etc might be next in line to get a Start Collecting, to further promote them as 'proper' factions. But who knows when that will happen, as some of them suffer from a Start Collecting Set probably containing every plastic kit in their range or doubling up on kits (Something GW has yet to do in any of the Start Collecting sets).

25 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

I'm just sad the Daughters box is more expensive than an SC. Witch elves aren't worth half of what they cost as a kit.

Interestingly, I think in Australia the Daughters box will fall below the Start Collecting price point. The two kits individually add up to $150AUD, while currently all Start Collecting sets in Australia are $140AUD. So I'd personally be predicting in Aus that the kit will come in around $110AUD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, someone2040 said:

That being said, Slaves to Darkness feels like the odd pick in this case (Already having a Start Collecting, being a fairly mainstream army). Not that the kit isn't interesting, but I think it shows that the more auxillary factions for Chaos don't really have enough depth in their plastic range to support an allies box.

It makes more sense for Khorne or Tzeentch (or in future Nurgle and Slaanesh) players to ally some slaves to darkness units than the other way around. I'm just not sure why they would want to have chariots or knights though... ;)

Edited by Jamopower

3 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It makes more sense for Khorne or Tzeentch (or in future Nurgle and Slaanesh) players to ally some slaves to darkness units than the other way around. I'm just not sure why they would want to have chariots or knights though... ;)

I guess to clarify my point.

I have no issues with the content of the box. If I had to make an allies set out of the Slaves to Darkness range, I think they chose pretty good models (Even if it's basically the same as the Start Collecting, just swapping Warriors + Sorcerer Lord for a Chariot).

What I guess feels odd, is that Slaves to Darkness are already a range that can be integrated into different Chaos gods easily, or on their own, they're a pretty decent sized faction. On the other hand, all the other allies sets, are for factions that are more auxillary in nature or smaller factions like Spiderfang and Daughters.

I think this largely comes from the more auxillary and smaller factions in Chaos just don't have the plastic product range to make an interesting Allies set. A lot of the Skaven clans are mainly just infantry sets (and other than Verminus, pretty ugly and old). Thunderscorn only has one plastic kit and probably would've been a bit too similar to the Warherd set. Maybe you could create a Monsters of Chaos set, either double Slaughterbrute/Mutalix or one and a Chimera?

Dunno, that's just to me why it feels a little out of place. If I'm a Chaos Player and I think allies, I'm probably not thinking "Cool, I can bring in some Slaves to Darkness to supplement my force" - because you can likely already do that just by marking them your factions god.

• Like 1

Ah, I see your point now and agree. That said, there would have been nice possibility of skaven with some clanrats, a warplightning cannon and a weapon team, which would be a nice allied force for a chaos. But I guess there aren't plastic weapon teams outside the Island of blood set.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Where did you find the prices for the boxes?

One way is if you run a private store for your club as you will get notified about upcoming releases a few days before they go up for pre-order.

If you don't fancy doing that, keeping an eye on the internet helps! Here's some of the rumoured prices from Faeit212 - http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/this-weeks-pre-orders-along-with-prices.html

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

One way is if you run a private store for your club as you will get notified about upcoming releases a few days before they go up for pre-order.

If you don't fancy doing that, keeping an eye on the internet helps! Here's some of the rumoured prices from Faeit212 - http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/this-weeks-pre-orders-along-with-prices.html

I guess those prices make sense but they don't seem to address the underlying ridiculous costs for some. The Daughters of Khaine set, for example, saves you a lot over buying the witch elves and cauldron separately but you're still paying more for a single 10-man unit and a hero platform than for almost any start collecting box.

I like the spider one though. Two of those and you've basically got a 1000 pt army for less than most equivalents.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

Where did you find the prices for the boxes?

Here are confirmed USD prices from a distributor for next weeks release: 

• General's Handbook 2017 $35
  • Warscroll Cards for Ironjawz, Beastclaw Riders, Sylvaneth, Bonespliterz $15
  • Open War Cards $15
  • Allies Boxes
    • Warherds $75
    • Spiderfang Grots $65
    • Daughters of Khaine $100
    • Aleguzzlers $75
    • Slaves To Darkness $80
    • Deathrattle $65
    • Nighthaunt $55
    • Collegiate Arcane $40

These allies boxes appear to be limited production so if you want something, I would snatch it up.

Edited by Thomas Lyons
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Well, is'nt that considering that 10 Whiches is $60 bucks?

Yep, as Cauldron is $75 and Witched as $60.  If you can find a 15% off retailed, you can get the DoK allies box for $85, which is a 38% discount off of retail.  That's pretty good for that army. 

Just now, Thomas Lyons said:

Yep, as Cauldron is $75 and Witched as $60.  If you can find a 15% off retailed, you can get the DoK allies box for $85, which is a 38% discount off of retail.  That's pretty good for that army. 

Absolutely! I don't argue with that. I feel that it is a shame that such beautiful models are so much more expensive, since you may need like 40-50 Witchaelevs for an army, and one does not need 5 Couldrons... Had the whichaelf box been $40, that would have been 30 aelves for the price on the current 20.

anyways, It's not really relevant what I think about this :P

Just now, Lysandestolpe said:

Absolutely! I don't argue with that. I feel that it is a shame that such beautiful models are so much more expensive, since you may need like 40-50 Witchaelevs for an army, and one does not need 5 Couldrons... Had the whichaelf box been $40, that would have been 30 aelves for the price on the current 20.

anyways, It's not really relevant what I think about this :P

Don't forget that the Cauldron doubles as a Bloodwrack Shrine, which is also in faction and also rather affordably priced for the army.  Four of these boxes would get someone 40 Witch Elves/Sisters, 2 Cauldrons of Blood with Hag, 2 Bloodwrack Shrines with Medusa, 2 Hags on Foot and 2 Medusa on foot.  That is a fantastic start to this army and you'd only need to fill in with a couple boxes of Witches/Sisters, Warlocks, or allies to be set.

• Like 1

Still no further details/pictures/price on special edition of GHB 2017?

"For the truly dedicated, the Warlords Edition of the General’s Handbook is packed with extras that’ll help you with your games. As well as cards for every Battleplan in the book, you’ll be able to get your hands on turn trackers, tokens and more – you’ll be perfectly equipped for a new age of gaming in the Mortal Realms."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Don't forget that the Cauldron doubles as a Bloodwrack Shrine, which is also in faction and also rather affordably priced for the army.  Four of these boxes would get someone 40 Witch Elves/Sisters, 2 Cauldrons of Blood with Hag, 2 Bloodwrack Shrines with Medusa, 2 Hags on Foot and 2 Medusa on foot.  That is a fantastic start to this army and you'd only need to fill in with a couple boxes of Witches/Sisters, Warlocks, or allies to be set.

See, you say that like that's not 460$ minimum when you can build a deathlords army for 100$ less and still have some skeletons and hexwraiths left over, or a full beastclaw army for less than half that, or fyreslayers for 100$ cheaper, or ironjawz for 50$ less.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that they did the box, but if they could drop the 170$ Magmadroth+vulkites down to 85 then getting the Daughters box down to 70-80 shouldn't be unreasonable.

As an aside, when I first saw the daughter box I went 'aw cool! I'd love to start that army! if it's like 40-50$ I'd totally buy it! And it should be right? The infantry should be like 35 and the shrine should be 50ish so with a decent discount...' then I looked up what those boxes actually cost and was full of sads.

• Like 2