The Rumour Thread

23 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I have a bad feeling that this countdown is going to lead to a cool animated trailer, maybe a single model or 2 previewed and then we’re going to get further teased throughout June until a full reveal in early July for an end of July release.

Bad feeling because it’d be nicer for all this teasing to lead to a full reveal. Teasing is fun for a bit but it gets real old!

To quote Vince Venturella, the reason why we were / all disappointed by the last reveal show and surely will be by the next one, because we already half know what will be AoS 3 because of the leaks. If we would not have known that, we would have appreciated more those reveals.

53 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I have a bad feeling that this countdown is going to lead to a cool animated trailer, maybe a single model or 2 previewed and then we’re going to get further teased throughout June until a full reveal in early July for an end of July release.

Bad feeling because it’d be nicer for all this teasing to lead to a full reveal. Teasing is fun for a bit but it gets real old!

The time between the reveal of AoS and the next reveal show is the same as the time between 9th Ed 40k was revealed and Indomitus was fully shown (8th -29th May for AoS, 23rd May -13th June last year for 40k, 3 weeks each) so I’m fairly hopeful we’ll get the whole box. Indomitus was released on July 25th. 

Edited by Still-young

9 hours ago, Nos said:

Been saying all year that GW have been cribbing off Disney with the MCU.

Especially with how quickly 3D printing is making ground now too, it was shaky to start with but the quality and availability of printers and sculpts is growing exponentially. GW are still very much at the top of the mountain but charging loads of money for stuff people will find easier and easier to get will become an unstable foundation in quite a short space of time I think. 

The GW universe will become less model bound and much more a case of if you want to be involved read the comics buy the supplements watch the shows *then* play the games. It will be designed to be all in. 

I disagree. I teach 3D Sculpting and I have a resin printer: It‘s really nice for bits and one or two custom models. Yet creating an entire unit takes way too much time to be considered being better than simply buying from GW.

Even if you simply get models from a Patreon, those models might be nice, yet GW‘s designs are somewhat unique and their IP and worlds are strong. I am following 3 Patreons and I get a ton of awesome models each month for about 30 €/month. Yet I consider those to be cool DnD models and nothing more. They don‘t scratch the same itch GW does.

speaking of 3D printing: I am considering to design Terrain that would go well with Radukar the Beast‘s base: An old mossy dark wood with lots of broken and dead trees 🤔, rocky plateaus etc. I only have to make those useful in an AoS game

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Aos 3.0 is going to be the 'silly hat edition'

So Chaos Dwarfs?

….sorry…. 🤣😁

the still in the animation preview is interesting and sort of confirmed some sort of hobgoblins in third edition and I can’t wait for next week.

On the animation preview, I loved what was shown but very disappointed they didn’t show much animation. Will be interesting to see the plan for how we all watch them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next week is going to be amazing. I can't wait to do a mixed Destruction Force after seeing those LoTR, Demon's Souls Swamp, Runescape Lumbridge esque Goblins. 

The shear variety that you'll get especially with Kragnos leading the charge:

Snotlings
Gnoblars
Goblins -Moonclan and Spiderfang
Hobgoblins
CruelBoys
Orruks -Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz
Trolls
Ogors
Gargants

I'm definitely going to be planning a colour scheme and theme this week to tie them all together. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I disagree. I teach 3D Sculpting and I have a resin printer: It‘s really nice for bits and one or two custom models. Yet creating an entire unit takes way too much time to be considered being better than simply buying from GW.

Even if you simply get models from a Patreon, those models might be nice, yet GW‘s designs are somewhat unique and their IP and worlds are strong. I am following 3 Patreons and I get a ton of awesome models each month for about 30 €/month. Yet I consider those to be cool DnD models and nothing more. They don‘t scratch the same itch GW does.

speaking of 3D printing: I am considering to design Terrain that would go well with Radukar the Beast‘s base: An old mossy dark wood with lots of broken and dead trees 🤔, rocky plateaus etc. I only have to make those useful in an AoS game

At the moment.

But its already far more accessible and ubiquitous than it was two years ago. Its only going to get easier and cheaper. 

This Warhammer + thing isn't about right now. Its setting up a platform for the future. 

These conversations are exactly the same sort of thing that occured with other shifts in big IP production.

"Why would marvel, the biggest comics publisher ever, change to something else?"

"Why would Xbox/Ubisoft etc give you access to all their games for a small fee a month when a new one costs the same as a years subscription?" 

Capitalism isnt about selling products in the same way anymore. It's about capturing and maintaining peoples information to make them endlessly involved in your ecosystem and that of favoured partners.

Plus the cost of literally anything physical is going to become harder to produce and justify on account of the issus around global warming and waste. 

There's also the fact that wargaming is a hobby which has only existed for a generation or so. Its not a sure thing. It grew up in an era where personal social and civic spaces were easily available or accessible in which you could have massive 6ft tables etc and have space at home to store endless models . The supply of those places is diminishing outside of a wealthy middle class. It is a very tactile and analogue hobby which Is one of its joys. But it is also one that is increasingly going to be off limits to an increasing number of people due to the increasing growth in social inequality of the 21st century. 

But the hobby itself isnt guaranteed to last for more than a few decades. GW's IP on the other hand isnt dependent on models, or at least, has by the far best chance of existing in isolation. 

Again we're talking long term, as in about a decade a so, but it will pick up speed fast. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nos said:

This Warhammer + thing isn't about right now. Its setting up a platform for the future. 

Yeah this is my first thought when I saw that they are creating their own platform. I suspect they will move away from Twitch as well and the streaming service will become home of all digital content for gw.

Personally, I'm not that that keen on a streaming service. I'd rather have paid to download the things I'm actually interested in seeing. I don't use streaming sites as it is, I've prime because I get it for next to nothing because of uni, but I've only used the streaming once to watch the boys. I think as it stands, there will be a rush on people paying for this, but once its all been binged, what are they going to put on in the shows place to encourage people to keep paying. I'm not going to pay for battle reports etc. I'm definitely wouldn't pay for the sort of preview/reviews of new stuff, like the stuff they throw up on twitch. I know others will, but they are going to have to produce a lot of content to keep those people happy. So much content, yet people get annoyed when a new video isn't made or the quality drops when creators try to push one or more videos EVER week.

I think they are also going to be hoping that there is enough pull from the folks that read the books & play total war etc, that have time to watch shows but don't have the time/money/desire to paint models.

33 minutes ago, Nos said:

Plus the cost of literally anything physical is going to become harder to produce and justify on account of the issus around global warming and waste. 

People are also starting to cotton on to the the fact that huge data centres and constantly buying new devices are just as awful for these issues. Streaming, cloud services etc all going to start getting the same bad rep that plastic has gotten in the last few years. Even more so once more people actually come to realise that not only do they produce a huge amount of unseen waste, but those devices are chewing up as many resources to keep making them. Plastic minis don't make anywhere near the waste that buying a new phone to watch Netflix on does.

44 minutes ago, Nos said:

There's also the fact that wargaming is a hobby which has only existed for a generation or so. Its not a sure thing.

Its only 200+ years old. 100+ plus for miniature games. Wargaming will long outlast GW. Its Warhammer which is not a sure thing.

Well, interesting to note since people are bringing up big hat Chaos Dwarfs. The creator of the Fabelzel Chaos Dwarfs got a C&D recently regarding his Chaos Dwarf sculpts from GW. They're big hat models for reference. So at the very least, GW seems to still care about their Chaos Dwarf IP.

I don't want to get my hopes, but there does seem to a lot of activity around the Chaos Dwarfs. Much more than in years. Appearances on the Old World map, C&Ds for models, more lore references, a unit of "hobgobs" that specifically trade with the Chaos Dwarfs (if true). Perhaps something is stirring.

Edited by FFJump
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 minutes ago, FFJump said:

I don't want to get my hopes, but there does seem to a lot of activity around the Chaos Dwarfs. Much more than in years. Appearances on the Old World map, C&Ds for models, more lore references, a unit of "hobgobs" that specifically trade with the Chaos Dwarfs (if true). Perhaps something is stirring.

Well, yes of course. Because of Total War: Warhammer 3. The Dark Lands were the very first teaser-ish hint for this game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

Yeah this is my first thought when I saw that they are creating their own platform. I suspect they will move away from Twitch as well and the streaming service will become home of all digital content for gw.

Personally, I'm not that that keen on a streaming service. I'd rather have paid to download the things I'm actually interested in seeing. I don't use streaming sites as it is, I've prime because I get it for next to nothing because of uni, but I've only used the streaming once to watch the boys. I think as it stands, there will be a rush on people paying for this, but once its all been binged, what are they going to put on in the shows place to encourage people to keep paying. I'm not going to pay for battle reports etc. I'm definitely wouldn't pay for the sort of preview/reviews of new stuff, like the stuff they throw up on twitch. I know others will, but they are going to have to produce a lot of content to keep those people happy. So much content, yet people get annoyed when a new video isn't made or the quality drops when creators try to push one or more videos EVER week.

I think they are also going to be hoping that there is enough pull from the folks that read the books & play total war etc, that have time to watch shows but don't have the time/money/desire to paint models.

People are also starting to cotton on to the the fact that huge data centres and constantly buying new devices are just as awful for these issues. Streaming, cloud services etc all going to start getting the same bad rep that plastic has gotten in the last few years. Even more so once more people actually come to realise that not only do they produce a huge amount of unseen waste, but those devices are chewing up as many resources to keep making them. Plastic minis don't make anywhere near the waste that buying a new phone to watch Netflix on does.

Its only 200+ years old. 100+ plus for miniature games. Wargaming will long outlast GW. Its Warhammer which is not a sure thing.

People buy phones every few years, and they dont do it to watch netflix. Netflix et al arent reliant on the creation of phones either. My phone is due an upgrade after 2 years, but I'm not getting one til I need it for precisley those environmental reasons. I'll still be able to watch all streaming services on it though.

Wargaming as it exists in its present form is barely 60 years old, it's very much a post-war product of increased leisure time and expendable income, like most hobbies really. As a concept it has been around for ages but it was as the preserve of upper class eccentrics. 

I've always been into broader wargaming parallel to GW, in fact I never dropped wargaming even when I did drop GW for a while, I kept up with other historical and genre rulesets.

I've been going to the vatioys warhaming cons for a decade or so in the UK and as of the last 5 years or so ive seen the older members end their involvement but theres precious few young people coming in from the other end. 

Theres also a fascinating aspect surrounding the "stuff" of wargaming itself, be that history or sci fi and fantasy. All are increasingly under challenge for the way in which they represent and portray humanity and associated concepts which at the time where acceptable and a given but which look less favourable given the input of marginalised social groups. A lot of the reaction to this from the core group of wagamers has been protective and defensive though, further ghettoising themselves.

The reality is it just means the hobby is seen as more niche and a weird generational enclave where a new generation of kids to whom diversity is powerful and essential are not welcome and quickly put off. GW are (slowly) proving themselves hip to this though and sorting themselves out.

But without a next generation to take it forward, Its not looking good for the future of wargaming sadly, as we know it. In the UK, at any rate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Few interesting 'faction symbols' there. I think the Fyreslayer symbol is new, as is the Ossiarch one? Probably just for 3.0 housekeeping in the updated webstire/corebook of course, but interesting to see.

Well, my point is less about the actual products but more about GW expanding these aspects of the hobby as Warhammer as an IP becomes bigger than just the tabletop games. But I'm sure some of those products will look good - if one thing can be said for sure about Warhammer, it's that the artwork is of VERY high quality - lots of amazing talents there. It's likely we will only see more toys like the single Space Marine, more apparel, other stuff from beer coasters to oven mitts... "GW going Disney" is really a good way of saying this. My biggest hope is that they do their damndest to make these products of high quality. Same goes to the new shows. This is all a chance but if things are lacklustre, the chance might be gone forever. Don't wanna sound negative, just sayin' - ideally they'll succeed with all their plans.

41 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I'm really surprised about the lack of excitement regarding Warhammer+. I thought that for Warhammer geeks like us it is like a Christmas gift we always wanted. And the animations look really good. 

Really? I'm pretty underwhelmed by the animations. Especially Angels of Death, which I think look like a slightly remastered Starcraft 1 cinematic (exaggerating a bit). The CGI AOS stuff looks great, but I think that's just the new edition cinematic and they couldn't help but put it in there.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I'm really surprised about the lack of excitement regarding Warhammer+. I thought that for Warhammer geeks like us it is like a Christmas gift we always wanted. And the animations look really good. 

Have you ever seen the 2010 film called Ultramarine? Not even a cast featuring John Hurt or Sean Pertwee could polish that ******.

Also GW are, I suspect, too focused on doing stuff involving big clanky space marines, and lots of big bombastic dramatic statements, and just generally all the BIG SFX EXPLOSION moments of what makes 40k what it is... and the thing is, that's just not really very interesting past the first few times you see a space marine lummoxing along.

What makes visual media series interesting are the characters, the interactions between them, and the rich depth of the world being depicted as the context thereof. It looks like there might be some promising bits and pieces in the Warhammer + line-up on that front, but not nearly enough to get me excited. Just animating a space marine having a fight and occasionally growling pithy one-liners through a clenched hypersquare jaw isn't going to get me to put down the money.

An animated series focusing on some poor ****** trying to live his life in a hive city as things go increasingly to ******, showing off the way human life has adapted to work in that sort of massive-scale grinding machine of empire, the troubles and problems a person has to tackle trying to achieve something like normality, and the real horror of all the stuff from the wargames juxtaposed against that attempt at normality - showing, by comparison, the sheer horror and insanity of it all? That'd interest me. Bangshoots McSpacebattle? Less so.

Edit: To follow up on that a bit in the context of AoS, showing off Stormcast is all very well, but solid programming would give us a lot of looks at life in the Cities, at what things're like where the reach of Sigmar doesn't extend, horror animations that make a single Chaos Warrior a nightmarish foe, and so forth.

Edited by Acrozatarim
  • Like 1