The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Slyvaneth have just one Aelf in their ranks. Kurnothi and Umbraneth aren't a thing yet.

Unfortunately for Duardin fans, the scales have always been tilted in the favour of the Aelves. In old 8th edition there were three elf books and only one for dwarves. Even in 40k the scales are firmly tipped in the favour of the space Aelves. They have 3 factions and the term squatted exists for a reason. I'm not saying that's a good or fair choice but that's how it is. 

In any case it's really the poor old humans who are hard done by. They have just one book which they share with the Aelves and the Duardin

For the same reason we should have 3 stormhost battletome like in 40k.

And mostly left elves in the bin as 40k eldar are always ignored in favor of imperium.

Sorry but that's a very strange idea that things should be like they were .

While i agree on the humans as they still don't got anything, saying that dwarves should be united because gw always treated less than some others is strange/silly imho(while i can expect this from gw).

If gw wants to consolidate books they'll do for everyone i suppose not only for some.

Otherwise let's mark a grudge against them :p.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Are the new guys part of warclans and not their own faction? That’d kinda make me sad :/ 

From the info that we have right now they are a brand new faction and a new breed of greenskinz. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Good news for Warclans players then

new treatment at the doorstep.

Maybe you’ve already seen part of it?

I don't understand what you are trying to say today. 🤣

EDIT: Are you talking about the new breed or the Broken Realms: Kragnos?

Edited by Nezzhil

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about Duardin per se but I do not want to see a big swathe of smashing factions together because they are vaguely connected.

One of the things I like about AoS is that it has tight, thematically and visually coherent factions that have a strong identity both in lore and on the table top.

I can't see how a big swathe of combo books does anything else but dilute those factions identities.

Edited by mojojojo101
  • Like 1

Just now, mojojojo101 said:

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about Duardin per se but I do not want to see a big swathe of smashing factions together because they are vaguely connected.

One of the things I like about AoS is that it has tight, thematically and visually coherent factions that have a strong identity both visually and in gameplay terms.

Yes this. One thing that put me off returning to 40k 8th edition over AoS was the faction rules in 40 k were, initially looking thematic,  but ultimately becoming very copy and paste. AoS is so much better in providing those unique playstyles

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

For the same reason we should have 3 stormhost battletome like in 40k.

And mostly left elves in the bin as 40k eldar are always ignored in favor of imperium.

Sorry but that's a very strange idea that things should be like they were .

While i agree on the humans as they still don't got anything, saying that dwarves should be united because gw always treated less than some others is strange/silly imho(while i can expect this from gw).

If gw wants to consolidate books they'll do for everyone i suppose not only for some.

Otherwise let's mark a grudge against them :p.

You rather misquoted me there. I very clearly stated that I don't think the imbalance of factions is a good or fair choice. I'm not saying they should do a combined Duardin book, I'm saying there's a good chance they will. In my posts I haven't been trying to say what gw should do, I'm trying to imagine what they will do, hence the reference to past behaviour. 

Gw makes do many marine kits because they are a safe product to make with guaranteed sales. After six years gw probably has a pretty good idea of which AoS factions sell well and I fear that the Fyreslayers aren't it. 

I don't think Fyreslayers will join their 40k cousins in oblivion but I don't think expanding the range is a priority for gw. 

I love the lore and art of the Fyreslayers but in order for me to actually collect the army I think gw would need to redo the core kits with a bit more personality and variety. Unfortunately I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

Have we talked about how the 'wolf foot on swampy ruins' rumor engine could actually be the 'light dragon cavalry' that the Stormcast are rumored to be getting? 

I completely forget where I heard this, but I'm sure I read earlier on that Stormcast were expected to get new light-dracoth cavalry, and I'm actually building a Stardrake right now and the back foot of the stardrake reminds me remarkably of that rumor engine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Good news for Warclans players then

new treatment at the doorstep.

Maybe you’ve already seen part of it?

Going to try reading in the entrails here for a bit:

• There are some rumours out there that Warclans was supposed to get new stuff, but it was delayed because of Corona.
  • Recent Ork-related stuff: Beast Snaggas and the Underworlds warband.
  • From the underworlds warband, only the claw guy is really new. Maybe that's a new unit?
  • I don't remember, but isn't the new Destruction faction confirmed to be it's own thing? If so, that won't be it. Unless there is a possiblity of taking them in Big Waaagh as well.
  • Some of the oldest unsolved rumour engines could be Warclans, such as...

2020-08-11.jpg

2020-04-07.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

As long as they have the orruk keyword, even Warclans will be able to enjoy their usage in their mixed force allegiance

I think if it is a brand new faction and a new breed they probably have a new keyword (Hobgobs/Cruel boys/ swamp gitz) as it happened with Nighthaunt in Soul wars box.

As someone already mentioned Warclans need mostly update kits for ardboys  and wardokk and  maybe a couple of new mounted heroes .

As we go into 3.0, one of my biggest question marks is over the future of Cities of Sigmar.

As someone who bought into a heavy phoenix/phoenix guard army soon after the book came out, I'm quite worried the book will get a bit of a shakeup, with half the kits (especially high elf stuff) going to legends. Its honestly quite stressful worrying your army might get squatted at any moment

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think people are looking at the situation slighty backwards. 

Currently there are 24 battletomes. Across 2nd edition there were 11 substantial (more than 3 kits) updates including 2 each for Slaanesh and Lumineth. 

Gw is unlikely to substantially increase the rate they put out updates especially with the current supply situation. 

If we allow one extra for covid that means third edition will have at most 12 miniature updates. Since AoS has started gw has put out about 1 all new book a year. That leaves 9 of the existing battletomes to get updates. 

So essentially two thirds of the current factions will not see a substantial update this edition. That doesn't mean those armies will get nothing. We will continue to see single heroes, underworlds or warcry warbands etc. 

All that is to say that a book with a radically changed format like the warclans allows gw to give new life to a faction without adding a lot of new units. 

My personal view is that each battletome will be revisited for AoS3.  Some armies will receive second wave releases to bolster the available choice.  Some may find themselves merged into a single book, but each one will get a new book to bring them into line with everything else.

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

I agree with this. I hope GW doesn’t treat dwarves as less important than aelves. Just because they’re half the size, doesn’t make them any less of a person!

What they lack in height they make up in girth (and beard)!

• Like 3

I don’t understand this idea that there needs to be the same amount of Dwarf armies as there are Elf armies. The idea that it’s unfairly weighted towards Elf players just doesn’t work, because ‘elf players’ aren’t really one group. New Lumineth models mean as much to Idoneth players as they do to Kharadron players, for example. I don’t see any merit in lumping all elves together and all dwarfs together and expecting parity between them, it’s only going to lead to arguments and disappointment. 

There’s only one Seraphon army, do we arbitrarily need 3 or 4 of them to match Elves too? Elves have always been a species with more variety and ideas for them in Warhammer. I doubt that’s going to change. But elf armies and players are not some monolithic group. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 7

Just now, Still-young said:

I don’t understand this idea that there needs to be the same amount of Dwarf armies as there are Elf armies. The idea that it’s unfairly weighted towards Elf players just doesn’t work, because ‘elf players’ aren’t really one group. New Lumineth models mean as much to Idoneth players as they do to Kharadron players, for example. I don’t see any merit in lumping all elves together and all dwarfs together and expecting parity between them, it’s only going to lead to arguments and disappointment. 

I think what the dwoff players really want to say is, that they'd like the gold treatment of aelves.

Not a soup book. But rather multiple different factions, en par with what the aelves got. Now, one could argue, that with 2 Duardin factions and 3 Aelves factions released (Sylvaneth are but a faint glance of aelves, if we're being honest), there is some parity - if not in model range, then at least in army count. But you know them stunties. Always muttering stuff into their beards... . 

On a more serious note, aelves just got more models so far. And it's ofc about perception & our light lords sure got some headlines & covers (and the Idoneth also got their fair share of stuff - but so did Kharadron). But, but all of that would ofc change in a heartbeat with the next big army release. And if I'm being honest... I see the reimagining of classic dwarves (lumineth style) happening much sooner than dark aelves.

So in the end it has nothing to do with the amount of different Duardin or Aelf armies... but with the attention they get from development.

---

On the note of Kruel Boyz... if we were going by the three faces, they should be their own thing next to the Orruk Warclans & the Gloomspite Gitz. But maybe the three tribes actually get to form the next "Big Waaaagh" or something like that. 

I'm fine with either, but given how often Whitefang was pinged in this thread over the imminent reveal of the whatever they'll be called boyz... well I'd troll us quite a bit. So my guess is, they're their own faction, can be taken in the superwaaaagh and Whitefang is trolling us for a couple of days because we kinda deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I'm fine with either, but given how often Whitefang was pinged in this thread over the imminent reveal of the whatever they'll be called boyz... well I'd troll us quite a bit. So my guess is, they're their own faction, can be taken in the superwaaaagh and Whitefang is trolling us for a couple of days because we kinda deserve it.

i hope whitefang is just being brutally kunnin'

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

As we go into 3.0, one of my biggest question marks is over the future of Cities of Sigmar.

As someone who bought into a heavy phoenix/phoenix guard army soon after the book came out, I'm quite worried the book will get a bit of a shakeup, with half the kits (especially high elf stuff) going to legends. Its honestly quite stressful worrying your army might get squatted at any moment

I definitely don't see Cities being discontinued any time soon, given how much screen time they have recently been getting. I also think there is much to fear about current Cities kits going to Legends without replacement: What's in there will not just get cut for no reason. But I wonder about the faction getting slowly cannibalized, kind of like what happened to Legions of Nagash.

LoN started out as containing basically all Death models except FEC. Now some of their former units have migrated to OBR and Nighthaunt. Gravelords, the successor faciton of LoN, only contains skeletons, zombies and vampires now.

I think there is a chance that Dispossessed will get spun off into a new dwarf faction, possibly taking some of the kits from Ironweld Arsenal with them. If Kurnothi ever arrive, they might take Wanderers with them. And Freeguild have enough kits that they could be their own faction if they got an update. I think the old dark and high elf kits seem the most anchored in Cities, because they were not made part of DoK and Lumineth when GW had the chance.

But yeah, we will have to see what the future holds for Cities. I think GW will want to keep the book together for at least one more edition, possibly allowing you to take some models in two factions at once for a while (Wanderers in Kurnothi, Dispossessed in Megadwarves, Freeguild in Sigmar Militarum...).

57 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

My personal view is that each battletome will be revisited for AoS3.  Some armies will receive second wave releases to bolster the available choice.  Some may find themselves merged into a single book, but each one will get a new book to bring them into line with everything else.

I agree. This is how things have been working before, and I don't see a reasons anything should change. All battletomes will get updates. Some factions will get big overhauls to their range, particularly those that still have finecast models. Some will just get the odd hero or other kit. Some will probably just get a book.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, Socrates said:

On 5/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, RamsesIII said:

Sorry, can't get rid of the quotes 🤷‍♂️

I'd quite like to see some factions smushed together, but I'll be honest, I really hope they don't give us the same old race-specific battletomes: let us have a steamheads battletome with humans and dwarves, a pirates battletome with druchii and vampires, idoneth with sea-based beasts of chaos, pestilens and maggotkin as armies of the plague...
Give us more cosmopolitan mixes like CoS, with a thematic through-line, not a fantasy-race based one

52 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

Whitefang may tease us mercilessly, but they've never deliberately lied to use, preferring to simply be ambiguous (and thus constantly breathing life into the rumor thread.)

They also don't need to. There are two primary theories about the upcoming faction (those being solo faction and bundled into Warclans) and they're both going strong, with a few sub-theories attached to each. We're doing a good enough job on our own ;)

For my part, I buy into the Warclans theory, particularly since it seems pretty certain that Destruction is getting their time in the spotlight this edition, and the orruks are the poster Boyz of that grand alliance. I also don't see orruks getting the aelf treatment, as they don't seem to be nearly as popular.

Edited by OkayestDM