The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

I really hope the new army doesn’t magically bring their natural habitat with them. Please no magic swamps traveling with the army, like the eathersea of everwinter. 
spores of dying greenskins infesting the land could be nice though. We already saw some nice lore about the botanical nature of greenskins. 

Now that you mention you made me want swamp faction terrain for them. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Having read some of the darker parts of Warhammer's lore for greenskins, one would have to shudder at the thought of what an orc would have to do to earn the title of "cruel" from their fellows.

Perhaps they deprive their foe of a meaningful fight? Relying instead on the anarchistic and barbaric methods of tactful diplomacy? Or, Gorkamorka forbid, they treat goblins with respect and offer them companionship on the same level as one of the boys? Stories abound of the Kruel boyz' horrifying methods of determining their leaders, electing them through "democratic processes" and base their skills not on size and brutality, but mental acuity and vision for,  I shudder to even type this out, a more peaceful tomorrow.

Truly, even the Gods of Chaos fear what lies in the dank swamps and mires of the Mortal Realms...

:D

Given how AoS tends to twist every traditional concept (dwarfs the most mobile army in the game - Kharadrons, elves tough as rock equipped with hammers) maybe we will witness diplomatic orcs. Imagine that is their actual name instead of Kruel Boyz. Destruction Battletome: Diplomats and Scholars. On the front page an Orc wearing glasses, white wig and a gown.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Given how AoS tends to twist every traditional concept (dwarfs the most mobile army in the game - Kharadrons, elves tough as rock equipped with hammers) maybe we will witness diplomatic orcs. Imagine that is their actual name instead of Kruel Boyz. Destruction Battletome: Diplomats and Scholars. On the front page an Orc wearing glasses, white wig and a gown.

I think this has legs ..... 

Before the battle starts, but after both players have chosen territories. The "Kruel Boyz" player may roll a D6, on a 4+ the "Kruel Boy" legal team have used lot of extremely complicated documentation and sent some very strongly worded letters, suggesting serious legal ramifications to the opposing players faction. Do not proceed with the game, The Kruel Boyz immediately win a major victory

Might speed up a few tournaments 🤣

Edited by CarkFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I know you jest but you bring up a good point and probably explains why I've always been a little dissatisfied with AoS version of Orcs.  

All the other armies transplanted from Fantasy all got either cool new themes (Dwarves/Kharadron, High Elves/Lumineth, Wood Elves/Sylvaneth) or awesome new lore to go with the old models (Flesh-Eater Courts, Beast-Claw Raiders, Serephon).  Orcs kind of got...more of the same. 

I've always liked Orcs in other fantasy media but Warhammer's version never really caught on with me, which is fine cause obviously they are popular with many people.  I would of really enjoyed an Orc faction that is different from the typical Orcs.  

5 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

I know you jest but you bring up a good point and probably explains why I've always been a little dissatisfied with AoS version of Orcs.  

All the other armies transplanted from Fantasy all got either cool new themes (Dwarves/Kharadron, High Elves/Lumineth, Wood Elves/Sylvaneth) or awesome new lore to go with the old models (Flesh-Eater Courts, Beast-Claw Raiders, Serephon).  Orcs kind of got...more of the same. 

I've always liked Orcs in other fantasy media but Warhammer's version never really caught on with me, which is fine cause obviously they are popular with many people.  I would of really enjoyed an Orc faction that is different from the typical Orcs.  

I don't have enough knowledge on Ironjawz story but I think I can recall that instead of retreating Old World they stayed and fought Chaos for millennias which is super cool. And now they are done kind of fungus? That's also crazy and makes them some sort of force of nature instead of just mindless barbarians.

39 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I have a player in my Pathfinder 2 campaign that plays a hold-scarred Orc (ritual scarrification making then extra tough) that has the symbol of his god tatood across his back, and painted on his face as a war mask. Known for dramatically leaping into battle.

In actuality, the symbol of his god is a purple butterfly, the tatoo is on his lower back, and the warpaint is looks like something a child would get on a ren faire. Dramatically entering the fight is done in a graceful dance.

If GW would make Orcs into diplomats and scholars, I'd need to pick up a box or two.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

27 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I don't have enough knowledge on Ironjawz story but I think I can recall that instead of retreating Old World they stayed and fought Chaos for millennias which is super cool. And now they are done kind of fungus? That's also crazy and makes them some sort of force of nature instead of just mindless barbarians.

Orcs were already born from fungus in WHFB if I remember correctly, though I'm not sure since what edition that has been true.

Also- might just be me making a mistake here, but while they do use 'k's for many words the word "orc" was written normally in Fantasy as opposed to how it is in 40k. Then again, considering the word "orruks" I don't know if AOS might have retroactively changed that, I don't recall if the original word is used at all in the battletomes.

Edited by RamsesIII
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

2 hours ago, RamsesIII said:

Orcs were already born from fungus in WHFB if I remember correctly, though I'm not sure since what edition that has been true.

Also- might just be me making a mistake here, but while they do use 'k's for many words the word "orc" was written normally in Fantasy as opposed to how it is in 40k. Then again, considering the word "orruks" I don't know if AOS might have retroactively changed that, I don't recall if the original word is used at all in the battletomes.

Yeah Orcs from Fantasy changed to Orruks, but I think that is more down to being able to copywrite Orruks. 

The fungus idea still exists in the latest Orruk Warclans book, how when killed they produce spores which take root in dark, dank and shadowy places, which eventually grow into a new generation of Orruks. 

The idea behind Ironjaws while simple, is still one of my favorites. When the Age of Chaos happened and the mortal realms were full of daemonic invasions and humans giving over to chaos worship, the Orruks that became the Ironjaws thrived, they always wanted an eternal fight and they got it. The Age of Chaos wasn't a disaster or hard time for them, it was their idea of paradise. 

• Like 4

It's probably good to mention that 'diplomatic orruks' did exist in AoS at some point...I think. I only got into AoS after second edition but I recall hearing that in AoS 'regular' orruks - that is, non-Ironjawz and Bonesplitter ones - did still exist. Some apparently lived side-by-side and even traded with humans. That said, I've gotten this information from some long lost Aoslore reddit thread and have no idea of how true that ever was, but it's something that always stuck into my mind and what I wish there'd be more of.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

It's probably good to mention that 'diplomatic orruks' did exist in AoS at some point...I think. I only got into AoS after second edition but I recall hearing that in AoS 'regular' orruks - that is, non-Ironjawz and Bonesplitter ones - did still exist. Some apparently lived side-by-side and even traded with humans. That said, I've gotten this information from some long lost Aoslore reddit thread and have no idea of how true that ever was, but it's something that always stuck into my mind and what I wish there'd be more of.

One novel mentioned Orruks mercenaries, a thing that already existed in 40k.

About the rumor engine:so this is one of the true part in that "Fake,not fake" rumor?

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

16 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

One novel mentioned Orruks mercenaries, a thing that already existed in 40k.

I had to go and look for the post I remembered reading and apparently some Orruks did trade and live alongside Kharadrons, not just as mercenaries!

And regarding the Rumour Engine: Seems that it's indeed the pot talked about, basically confirming the rumours we have been hearing about were true, all of it. I, for one, welcome our new cruel lanky LOTR-like goblinoid overlords.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

It never went off though.

Still makes sense being little sized considering a snotling is stirring it.

From my point of view, it’s the first thing they’ve gotten right that couldn’t have been gained from aggregating other rumors, wishlisting, or just common sense.

9 minutes ago, EnumaEilish said:

From my point of view, it’s the first thing they’ve gotten right that couldn’t have been gained from aggregating other rumors, wishlisting, or just common sense.

Sorry i read Grimdark as the concept and not the channel.

I thought he meant the "grimdark" in aos was coming back...lol.

@Public Universal Duardinstill that rumors talked about so many things that is'nt automatically all of them confirmed.

Hoping that the united dwarf part is the fake one.

Unless i'm mixing them up perhaps?

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 1

Sorry does anyone have a link or rundown of the GrimDark rumours? 

Really getting excited for this army now. Just the thought with Kragnos allowing a proper Destruction mix, it's going to be amazing seeing a proper Destruction force, just a mass gathering of all sorts of monsters. The hype beckons. 

• Like 1