The Rumour Thread

When I saw the Wight King in the start collecting box I was really happy and thought I'd buy it but then noticed that they cheaped out and it's grave guard instead of the new skellies. Sad, but eh, it's not like I lack things to paint, especially since I'm absolutely buying those direwolves

What's interesting about the Start Collecting is it implies AoS might not be getting the more expensive 'Combat Patrol' boxes 40k has SC's replace. Of course it could just be that we're still in 2.0 and the first Battletomes get their 'Combat Patrols' then, but it's still pretty late in the game.

The replacement of the old Skeleton Horde box for this is a pity because it was only £7 more at RRP than buying the Mortarch box, not even accounting for third party discounts on it (whilst the Mortarchs were Direct Only). That it means the Wight King is presumably time gated behind ancient sculpts for what will no doubt be a £5 increase isn't endearing it either. Definitely screams "we want to get rid of old stock" more than anything.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What's interesting about the Start Collecting is it implies AoS might not be getting the more expensive 'Combat Patrol' boxes 40k has SC's replace. Of course it could just be that we're still in 2.0 and the first Battletomes get their 'Combat Patrols' then, but it's still pretty late in the game.

The replacement of the old Skeleton Horde box for this is a pity because it was only £7 more at RRP than buying the Mortarch box, not even accounting for third party discounts on it (whilst the Mortarchs were Direct Only). That it means the Wight King is presumably time gated behind ancient sculpts for what will no doubt be a £5 increase isn't endearing it either.

I did wonder this. It may be a stop gap release as such, although it does neatly hold x1 general and x2 battleline. 

Time will tell.

Kinda good to see Cursed City re- releases but not mention of the origins of them. It is liked Cursed City never existed. 

54 minutes ago, DeLewko said:

I think they meant 2 previews including the one we got already.

nope, just checked the stream, they said 2 MORE previews this month, i have a feeling they might announce the preview tomorrow and if not, then well we've been had

• Thanks 1

You release long awaited vampire army with tons of new models. Firstly you release Cursed City with mostly unplayable models in AoS. Then you announce a Start Collecting box with a load of ancient models and ONE new figure. What's going on with GW...

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

I think you are right about Lady Anika. Her pose, outfit, and mask resembles a vampire from the 7th edition army book, "The Silver Princess." Annika just has a nicer skincare routine than Layla of Copher, and a lot more hair. It's a cool callback.

Layla_Copher_Vampire_Counts_7th_Edition_illustration.jpg

Just seen the alt sculpt for her and I love that there’s (probably) a nod to the fan she’s carrying in the original art with her transformed wing/claw/hand

4117BC25-4E91-452F-8B7B-B24A58C771AA.jpeg

• Like 3

Any explanation or real reference to what’s up with Cursed City is noticeably and unsurprisingly absent. Good that they’re out so quickly I guess but can’t help but feel that the monopose CC skellies/zombies would themselves have been perfect for a start collecting box in the vein of the StD one, though I guess perhaps the sprues aren’t well laid out for that. Easier to clear out the grave guard perhaps.

Annika’s alt-sculpt with the wing rules, even more than the mask one.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Any explanation or real reference to what’s up with Cursed City is noticeably and unsurprisingly absent. Good that they’re out so quickly I guess but can’t help but feel that the monopose CC skellies/zombies would themselves have been perfect for a start collecting box in the vein of the StD one. Easier to clear out the grave guard perhaps.

Something tells me the price won't be a good one if the Indomitus characters were any indication.

GSC SC came out February 2020, months before the 9th edition ramp-up.
Safe to say the Soulblight SC means nothing concrete. If the 40k formula holds, new value boxset with battletome/codex, then Soulblight SC would be around for 3 years before getting replaced anyway.

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Something tells me the price won't be a good one if the Indomitus characters were any indication.

It’s almost certainly going to be rough. Maybe a tiny bit better in that we’re talking about a box of admittedly rad-looking minis that isn’t the only way to get them, and that when used as per their warscrolls are kind of a nothing. Though maybe using them as proxies (necromancers x2, wight king, vargheists... something for the ogres and vargskyr) could actually prove worthwhile and cost-effective if that’s what you’re after?

4 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that actually likes Graveguard. I think GW accidentally made that box specifically for me.

I quite like them myself and they seem pretty killy. By no means the worst inclusion in an SC box.

15 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

just like it for melee heroes since it means I can give them whatever weapon I want without having to worry about WYSIWYG.

Whereas for me, this would be something that would push me away from them game a little. If the appearance of the models doesn't matter, why not use cardboard chits?

No thanks.

I want my swords to be swords and lances to be lances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edmc78 said:

Kinda good to see Cursed City re- releases but not mention of the origins of them. It is liked Cursed City never existed. 

Since cancelling City, all references to the models and in-lore stuff has completely left out references to the game.

They are really trying to erase it. I am very curious to one day find out what the story behind them killing it is.

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Can you point to it? I'm not seeing anything saying the Nagash book is no longer valid.

image.png.037e9f61c230474f5248fc747864f562.png

well, i'm not seeing any legions of nagash here so i guess it got replaced by soulblight + they don't sell the LoN battletome anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pitzok said:

image.png.037e9f61c230474f5248fc747864f562.png

well, i'm not seeing any legions of nagash here so i guess it got replaced by soulblight + they don't sell the LoN battletome anymore

He's just being obtuse about whether or not it's still legal to use in matched play. It's obvious that it's been replaced and won't receive any further support, but until GW releases some kind of FAQ or errata, technically it will still be usable, but if I'm remembering the rules right, you'd have to use the updated warscrolls and points.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2