The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

EDIT. In regards to kidnapping I dont mean the sexual assault side of things.

That you genuinely feel the need to clarify your position on fictional monsters from a fantasy universe committing sexual assault says an awful lot about how insane the real world has become ..... I'm moving to Ghur

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I love Fimir, but I honest don't think they will bring them back as a faction and actually hope that they don't. What I'm really hoping for is a real mix of destruction races with a common design theme tying them into the same faction. This leaves them room to bring back fimir as a single kit (with multiple options) as well as a set of new feral-beast type Orcs or just about any of the destruction armies as a new kit. They can draw from a much wider range of influences then. It not only gives us a much wider selection of models to pick from that way but also allows them to do crazier stuff in or bring out other odd n ends kits down the line without too much issue having something new fit in.

This sort of makes sense seeing as they seemed to have suggested that cities of sigmar are staying as a focus point of the game and it would be nice to see the mirror opposite for destruction. Though this theory does fall apart as Legion of Nagash is going and being replaced with the gravelords, which is a far more focused race by the looks of it. I'd have liked to see a mixed race force for each of the factions.

I'm also someone that's a tad annoyed with Josh Reynolds no longer being a part of BL, his books seem very much in line with the theme of this stage of 3rd Ed. lore so I do find it strange that he left on the grounds that GW were moving away from his style. I had to assume there was more to it than that and go back to daydreaming about how great the rest of the Eight Lamentations series would have been.

I do love some of the new art- it feels like a real improvement to the usual standard we've been getting recently. There is a real cosmic horror vibe going on in some of them, I think that's a perfect thematic area for AoS to play around in to separate it from Grimdark gothic horror of 40k or Grimdark fantasy of the old world. Some of the artwork still has that digital feel of 'lets make everything out of focus' or low detailed art that just feels cheap and rushed to me.

I'm still sticking with 1st Ed with my group. We haven't seen a single good reason to keep paying for new rules when the old edition serves us just fine. But as usual, I'm likely to buy the starter set (Yndrasta is probably my favourite stormcast model they have ever done- I'm very likely to get two, one to paint as is and one for my Slaanesh-cast I've made in place of Chaos warriors) and if the new race is a good mix of models, even if I don't collect them I will want them for conversion fodder. The starter stuff is usually good value.

I'm still not sure that a moving timeline is what the setting needs for longevity- but I like the sound of the City Bois moving across wastelands and setting up new towns. It gives some nice scope for new models and books but without massively changing the status quo realms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doko said:

I saw  a post in facebook showing as in the warhammer fest banners they had one with the logo of silent people of shadespire cards.

So i think is very posible they are the new army and not fimir

That's the Underworlds logo, it has been around since Shadespire

• Like 1

Very curious if this winged SCE is a new look moving forward or a one off “angel”.

personally I liked the radiant light wings and was something different that drew from some famous sculptures. 

Since this new character is a big bad, which will rival the celestant prime, the “end all be all”, what stat adjustment will it receive so one just doesn’t outright replace the other since SCE have a lot of units that seem to do that..

46 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

I guess the counterpoint is that gobbapalooza (and that aesthetic) already exists, especially within destruction.  I think having different styles is great for a hobby where people like different things.  I'd argue there isn't a common aesthetic already, why should a new faction conform to it?  There can be more 'dark horrors' as opposed to more... playful gremlins?

I agree with the other poster above - Fimir might not be a completely original concept, but it's a pretty original concept for warhammer - it's not the tropes of goblins, orcs, elves, and the like.  I think they could very easily supplement an army (although from my perspective, I wish it were BoC).  

For awhile I got the impression they wanted to stop doing the easily identifiable things and replace them with more sigmarified things.

Sure. I won’t begrudge people liking something new if it doesn’t appeal to me. I used the gobbapalooza an example to show the kind of unfettered creativity I hope to see rather than specifically hoping for something goblinesque. The art and minis I’ve seen for Fimir so far look rather dull and bland except for the faces which I personally hate. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Very curious if this winged SCE is a new look moving forward or a one off “angel”.

personally I liked the radiant light wings and was something different that drew from some famous sculptures. 

Since this new character is a big bad, which will rival the celestant prime, the “end all be all”, what stat adjustment will it receive so one just doesn’t outright replace the other since SCE have a lot of units that seem to do that..

I could see them fulfilling different battlefield roles, they mention that she has a powerful ranged attack with her spear. I am wondering if the spears on the Vindicators will also be thrown weapons?

I also wish the entire faction had had a winged angel look... but it is purely an aesthetic for which I have a deep fondness. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I wonder that too, I really like Yndrasta, but at the same time she also feels a bit more generic. With the new armour and wings (maybe new colour scheme has something to do with it) she doesn't really look very Stormcast to me. Things like the weapon hilts are a big change too. Still awesome though.

24 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

That you genuinely feel the need to clarify your position on fictional monsters from a fantasy universe committing sexual assault says an awful lot about how insane the real world has become ..... I'm moving to Ghur

The real worlds always been insane, the internet just put it in our faces 24/7. 😉

• Like 2

Maybe I'm so far away for the target audience that I can't see it, but I can't see Fimir being popular no matter the way they are introduced.  I personally think generic 'GA: Destruction' humans that are basically not-Chaos Marauders would do several times better than Fimir.  I feel same about not-beastmen/centaurs being added to Destruction of Fimir.

I just don't see much that is compelling (I could be very bias though) in Fimir design.  I mean maybe a single unit as part of a hodgepodge Destruction faction sure (like Kroot with Tau in 40k or something), but certainly not a stand-alone faction.  The Fimir seem like something just too dated to revive.  However, I know how much GW loves to recycle ideas, and maybe they can make it work in some fashion.  Like I said, maybe I am that far away from the target audience that I am not even worth pursing.

It just seems to me that GW could easily put out something else that would be far, far more popular. I mean somehow connect dark elves (or whatever their AoS equivalent) to Destruction.  I think that would do several times better in terms of sales. 

Sometimes, I kinda want the Grand Alliances to go away. I think we are past needing them as a crutch to support some factions, and the idea itself is become a noose more and more.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

I personally love fimir to the extent that I own an entire army worth of 1980s fimir models. If its fimir I would be overjoyed and spend big $$$.

If it isn't fimir I highly doubt that it is just "swamp goblins" goblins are simply not a terrifying force of nature like the teaser hinted at and swamp goblins are already pretty established in gloomspite with spider fang and swamp troggoths.

I would bet on an entirely new force incorporating fimir but also some kind of greenskins or pseudo-greenskins to bulk the force out. It would make sense from an army composition stand point to not have 2 armies of ogre sized guys in the same grand alliance. If we get fimir as elite/big guys along with some other kind of Celtic myth inspired gremlin things it would gel pretty well and could form a more diverse force. After all fimir had only a handful of units in 3rd edition WHFB. Dirachs, Mearghs, Warlords, Fianna Fimm, and regular fimir warriors if you count what had models and shearls/serfs if you stretch things to stuff that didn't.

• Like 1

I'm firmly in the no Fimir camp. As many have said, they just look super generic; if you were to show me a picture of one without me knowing what it was, I'd think it was a DnD monster used as filler in a sequel bestiary book. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

Maybe I'm so far away for the target audience that I can't see it, but I can't see Fimir being popular no matter the way they are introduced.  I personally think generic 'GA: Destruction' humans that are basically not-Chaos Marauders would do several times better than Fimir.  I feel same about not-beastmen/centaurs being added to Destruction of Fimir.

I just don't see much that is compelling (I could be very bias though) in Fimir design.  I mean maybe a single unit as part of a hodgepodge Destruction faction sure (like Kroot with Tau in 40k or something), but certainly not a stand-alone faction.  The Fimir seem like something just too dated to revive.  However, I know how much GW loves to recycle ideas, and maybe they can make it work in some fashion.  Like I said, maybe I am that far away from the target audience that I am not even worth pursing.

It just seems to me that GW could easily put out something else that would be far, far more popular. I mean somehow connect dark elves (or whatever their AoS equivalent) to Destruction.  I think that would do several times better in terms of sales. 

Sometimes, I kinda want the Grand Alliances to go away. I think we are past needing them as a crutch to support some factions, and the idea itself is become a noose more and more.

Anything human based would be more popular than an ugly race. That is the the thing. We love playing humans in fantasy universes.... dont think that is a valid argument against anything abhuman imo. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'm firmly in the no Fimir camp. As many have said, they just look super generic; if you were to show me a picture of one without me knowing what it was, I'd think it was a DnD monster used as filler in a sequel bestiary book. 

DnD monsters are usually generic af though 🥲

1 minute ago, Feii said:

Anything human based would be more popular than an ugly race. That is the the thing. We love playing humans in fantasy universes.... dont think that is a valid argument against anything abhuman imo. 

I personally hate humans and would rather not have them in Destruction. Give me monsters any day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Feii said:

DnD monsters are usually generic af though 🥲

They are - which works for a game like DnD where they're mostly a baseline for the GM to develop on, but not so much for Warhammer.

That said, Pathfinder 2s first bestiary was full of a tonne of weird stuff so maybe 'generic' monsters are becoming less popular...    

No one cared when Beasts of Chaos were brought over to AoS

No one cared when Genestealers got a new army

No one cared when Slaanesh got updated

No one cared when Fimir were brought into Total War

No one cared when Fimir were being sold less than three years ago.

This narrative that Fimir are some shameful part of GW's history that they're trying to scrub from the records to avoid a "controversy" that has never happened is completely invented by fans.

The simple truth of the matter is that Fimir were a race that never caught on with fans and were mostly left behind as the years went on because there was no reason for GW to keep them around. Beastmen had a two-sentence blurb saying that all the new guys crawl out of the ground to avoid any kind of association with the, again, already abandoned "problematic" lore.

"They throw people in a bog and a fimir crawls out later." That's all they'd have to write. Do they get turned into a fimir? Does a baby fimir eat them and get bigger? Does it summon them from some other dimension? Who knows!

As for their design, you look at everything else in this game and tell me with a straight face that they "don't fit"

Every time a weird new model comes out people crawl out of the woodwork to talk about how great AoS is for wacky and new fantasy creatures but suddenly the first one GW ever made isn't good enough? Isn't the strength of the setting that it's so vast that anything can work and have its fans even if others don't like them? They're like an even more nightmarish monster from the Dark Crystal (and that's saying something) meets Irish mythology turned up to 11. That's Warhammer at it's purist.

I don't think Fimir can support their own army or even that they're going to show up in the new Destruction one, but there's no real reason to leave them behind.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

I don't know if someone spotted this already but this should please our very hungry friends !! :)

Screenshot_2021-05-09-16-03-55-308_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Ah yes, scripted answer number 4.

I honestly don't understand how anyone still chooses to think anything that comes from the facebook team is a hint or news. They answer almost every direct question 'we've no idea but when we hear something we will post it on the WarComms page' and they were also the ones telling people that Cursed City would be a mainstay game for the foreseeable future- the foreseeable future of the full 7 minutes it took to sell out that is.

Unless its posted directly on the WarComms page with photos, its not news (and even then they need to be the correct photos and not say, oh the older sets with more contents in than what's actually being released the next week! lol)

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

Ah yes, scripted answer number 4.

I honestly don't understand how anyone still chooses to think anything that comes from the facebook team is a hint or news. They answer almost every direct question 'we've no idea but when we hear something we will post it on the WarComms page' and they were also the ones telling people that Cursed City would be a mainstay game for the foreseeable future- the foreseeable future of the full 7 minutes it took to sell out that is.

Unless its posted directly on the WarComms page with photos, its not news (and even then they need to be the correct photos and not say, oh the older sets with more contents in than what's actually being released the next week! lol)

Additionally, just the mere fact that Destruction is on the rise is reason enough for anyone to say "this is their time/X fans will be happy. I'd take these things with a grain of salt for sure.

Edited by RamsesIII
  • Thanks 1