The Rumour Thread

I will hold out hope that 3rd will bring me shadow elves! 2nd brought mega gargants and centaurs(well on giant one but I’ll take it) and of course my beloved vampires! I’ll be surprised if the next biggest player malerion doesn’t return this edition! Even if it is still right at the end and on the edge of 4th! Now we’ve had order vs everyone for starter sets I wonder if in 3/4 years time we will see order vs order, after all order doesn’t mean they’re good guys 😂

Edited by Deakz28
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

trying to pick out details in the art, we got:
-some dude with a totem on the head or back, squatting on a totem or tower
-a bell, with two attendants/operators and what looks like a parade of others behind them
-and whatever that Azyrite thing is, the bottom looks like a drill?

A plaguebearer spotted 

Screenshot_20210508_225258_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by calcysimon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Has anybody figured out what the rune on Yndrastas Weapons and armour mean? I could have sworn I saw those tunes somewhere before.

Yeah it means "Made By Grungni- quality products since forever"..😇

I'm fine with them updating the Stormcasts - they might be poster boys/girls but they aren't as prevalent as marines have become in 40k [we aren't going to get releases for red ones, green ones and grey ones]. Plus its exciting to think what they might do with the ranges that need refreshed/expanded if they take this design approach to them. Personally really looking forward to seeing what new dwarfs will look like when they get round to them. Especially that Annihilator paladin- I can imagine heavily armoured dwarfs in a similar vein.

Bring on the Destruction forces and the rest of the range!!

Edited by silverstu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah Stormcast have a good balance in my opinion for being the ‘poster boys’. Always being in the starter and getting a good update each edition, but not having like 8 different Stormcast armies to update through every edition and not massively overshadowing every other army in terms of releases works fine for me. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kasper said:

I cant believe Be'lakor finally crawled out of the shadows and did something cool in the Broken Realms book, only to have it all be in vain. Really GW? :(

billede.png.99ae0209df93938d23a2ab3a1fb4f108.png

at least it is the meddling Grungni  so we could have some nice Belakor scheming vs Grungni arc as a vengeance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Yeah Stormcast have a good balance in my opinion for being the ‘poster boys’. Always being in the starter and getting a good update each edition, but not having like 8 different Stormcast armies to update through every edition and not massively overshadowing every other army in terms of releases works fine for me. 

I think by avoiding making multiple different armies like space marines have they’ve actually avoided the biggest issue 40K has, and therefore means AOS makes its fanbase far more happy more often by touching on all the other armies more often! Some are still lacking but I know they get sorted sooner than say 40K will with their lacking armies! 

• Like 5

Fairly disappointed the last big reveal was more SCE. They're such a thoroughly boring faction as far as I'm concerned -- I would have much preferred a Cities of Sigmar update, as the Oldhammer Empire was so much more flavourful than the SCE. 

Also very much hoping that the Fimir are not the new destruction faction. They're a relic of a misbegotten era rightfully consigned to the dustbin of problematic fantasy tropes. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, LeonBox said:

Fairly disappointed the last big reveal was more SCE. They're such a thoroughly boring faction as far as I'm concerned -- I would have much preferred a Cities of Sigmar update, as the Oldhammer Empire was so much more flavourful than the SCE. 

Also very much hoping that the Fimir are not the new destruction faction. They're a relic of a misbegotten era rightfully consigned to the dustbin of problematic fantasy tropes. 

One would assume that Fimir would have the problematic stuff in their lore r.e. Reproduction not included, should they come back. 

2 minutes ago, Still-young said:

One would assume that Fimir would have the problematic stuff in their lore r.e. Reproduction not included, should they come back. 

I don't know why they'd bother with them at all, weird reproductive stuff notwithstanding. They're simply an awful design -- as someone mentioned upthread, they look like 80s D&D monsters. 

12 minutes ago, drcrater said:

You know what is sad? With that teaser, both Spiderfang and Beasts of Chaos would fit, but knowing my luck and the luck of those two ranges in terms of new models, it will be something else :( 

I very much hope it's Beasts. They're an awesome faction way overdue for some love. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LeonBox said:

I’m not particularly expecting a fimir revival but honestly as awful as the gross sexual aspect of their background is, it could very easily be left in the past while the rest stays. That’s more or less what GW did in 8th ed WHFB, what FW did with their light update, and then what CA did in the Total War games. Having that aspect as mumbled but obviously false rumours could be one approach but honestly nothing significant would be lost just by dropping it entirely.

What you’re left with then is a cool culture of embittered neolithic/bronze age monster-people with some good horror imagery based around misty  fens and mires, a culture which pulls from a particular fragment of Irish mythology (or an 80s folk horror version thereof) in a more thoughtful way than GW usually uses mythology. Throw in the stuff about them being abandoned by the chaos gods for destruction, like an inverse riff on the ideas behind ogroids or dragon ogres, and seeking to tear down the structures of order, and you have something cool.

Granted their aesthetics aren’t for everyone but I think the merging of Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal/Labyrinth look with GW sculpting is a banger. Works with gnoblars, works here.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, drcrater said:

You know what is sad? With that teaser, both Spiderfang and Beasts of Chaos would fit, but knowing my luck and the luck of those two ranges in terms of new models, it will be something else :( 

So Skaven are confirmed?! 🐀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeonBox said:

I don't know why they'd bother with them at all, weird reproductive stuff notwithstanding. They're simply an awful design -- as someone mentioned upthread, they look like 80s D&D monsters. 

I very much hope it's Beasts. They're an awesome faction way overdue for some love. 

Well, I don’t think it’s Fimir either, but if they did come back, it’s an almost certainty that the lore wouldn’t be the same as it was. I really doubt it’s beasts either unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Hoping for new angelic-looking prosecutors with feathery wings, like the new celestant. 

Maybe the dragon-riding SCE rumoured by Honest Wargamer is a reimagining of the fulminators 

What does it mean when I get a whitefang laugh react emoji? Ridiculous/miles away? Or on the money?

One thing I am sad about is that Josh Reynolds will not have a hand in the new fluff.  I was really enjoying his take on Stormcast and where they were going/what was happening to them.  I do seriously hope that the darker side continues to be expanded on, ala Celestial Vindicators or Knights Excelsior.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I’m not particularly expecting a fimir revival but honestly as awful as the gross sexual aspect of their background is, it could very easily be left in the past while the rest stays. That’s more or less what GW did in 8th ed WHFB, what FW did with their light update, and then what CA did in the Total War games. Having that aspect as mumbled but obviously false rumours could be one approach but honestly nothing significant would be lost just by dropping it entirely.

What you’re left with then is a cool culture of embittered neolithic/bronze age monster-people with some good horror imagery based around misty  fens and mires, a culture which pulls from a particular fragment of Irish mythology (or an 80s folk horror version thereof) in a more thoughtful way than GW usually uses mythology. Throw in the stuff about them being abandoned by the chaos gods for destruction, like an inverse riff on the ideas behind ogroids or dragon ogres, and seeking to tear down the structures of order, and you have something cool.

Granted their aesthetics aren’t for everyone but I think the merging of Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal/Labyrinth look with GW sculpting is a banger. Works with gnoblars, works here.

I think the problem with GW trying to take this approach is that the internet exists - and, though it's taken them a seeming age to learn it, GW has finally realised that the internet affects perception. That is to say - it doesn't matter how much they try and focus in on the embittered pseudo-bronz-age/celtic cyclopeans in the mist, abandoned by their gods, angle, because if little Timmy goes online to try and see how to paint them or learn tactics, eleven seconds after the Google Search resolves he's found sixteen different AoS and Old World forums with people discussing the old lore, arguing about whether GW is evil or has some "woke agenda" to remove all the grimdark or converting up the heroes with the old Dark Eldar Slaves models "for lore accuracy".

You could see them slowly learning this lesson with things like the "Failbaddon" meme and other such nonsense where effectively all the marketing around Abaddon's new model had to keep poking fun at the meme and the last like three Chaos Marine books have had to bend over backwards to point out that assymetrical objectives can exist and Abaddon probably isn't just somehow the only loser to ever keep the favour of the gods and the Traitor Legions. And even then, it still feels like most of the discussion online still either calls him a man who failed 12 times, or else bemoans how it took "retcons" to make him not suck.

And in a lot of ways, that's a shame. The Fimir as they exist/existed are a very cool flavour touch - that in the stinking fog around Marienburg, those lights in the distance might be worse than will-o-wisps, and there are ancient, monstrous crones with bronze sickles performing dread rituals, seemingly not caring that the gods they beseech don't answer them. I am very glad they still exist in WFRP4e, for instance. But, I feel like they are one of the biggest victims in Warhammer of the internet's habit of 'memeing' concepts and reducing them down to one-note shorthands, and I don't see anyway GW could meaningfully get the community to move on from "lol do you know how fimir used to breed in the fluff", and why they would risk that when they have the freedom to do anything they want - they aren't in the Old World anymore, and don't have a limited roster of races.

• Like 11

The Silent People seems like a reasonable contender for the “new Destruction army”. I simply dont buy that GW is introducing a third species of Orks - The only thing I can see is the skypirate stuff with gits and orks, but doesnt really fit the theme of Ghur tbh. 

The lore for the Silent People seems to match with Kragnos too. They were invovled with Beastgrave and dug around the mountain. I could very easily see them having found Kragnos and helped him be free.

8 minutes ago, MaatithoftheBrand said:

You could see them slowly learning this lesson with things like the "Failbaddon" meme and other such nonsense where effectively all the marketing around Abaddon's new model had to keep poking fun at the meme and the last like three Chaos Marine books have had to bend over backwards to point out that assymetrical objectives can exist and Abaddon probably isn't just somehow the only loser to ever keep the favour of the gods and the Traitor Legions. And even then, it still feels like most of the discussion online still either calls him a man who failed 12 times, or else bemoans how it took "retcons" to make him not suck.

Didn't Beastmen and mutant lore also used to involve them making off women back in 1e? I don't think the Fimir are unique in that respect. Archaon's backstory is still that his mother was raped by a Norscan - they didn't scrap Slaves to Darkness because the obvious assumption that situation wasn't unique. Some ancient references to their, ahem, 'reproduction habits' that have been ignored/retconned for decades seems a bit of a stretch as to why they wouldn't be brought back, even in the current year.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Didn't Beastmen and mutant lore also used to involve them making off women back in 1e? I don't think the Fimir are unique in that respect. Archaon's backstory is still that his mother was raped by a Norscan - they didn't scrap Slaves to Darkness because the obvious implications that situation was unique. Some ancient references to their, ahem, 'reproduction habits' that have been ignored for literal decades seems a bit of a stretch as to why they wouldn't be brought back, even in the current year.

I think the problem is less that the lore exists, and more that the culture amongst fans is still (in a lot of places, not all - TGA, for instance, rises above this type of childishness) "lol so edgy" when it comes to Fimir - the meme is how much of a dark and gritty race they are because of their reproduction. Beastmen and Archaon don't occupy the same meme status - Beastmen either get jokes about furrys/being the forgotten 3rd Chaos army whenever they are mentioned, and Archaon's fluff discussions often come back to either comparing him to Abaddon as a "failure" for Storm of Chaos, or End Times memes about either how he killed off a setting, or else how even when he did that he didn't win and had to come back to try again.

As you say, GW ignores this stuff with other characters - I think the issue is with the Fimir, the players don't play along.

• Like 1