The Rumour Thread

New SC look good but they‘re really the most unneeded minis possible... if AoS 3rd ed is destruction‘s, they should‘ve shown new stuff for them instead. And then there are armies that could really use a proper first wave for AoS... 

edit: y‘know, it‘s not smart to collect the faction GW uses as their protagonist nowadays... first SM got new minis that kknda invalidate the old ones as they’re cooler and now SC 😂

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

As someone who hates the aesthetics of the Stormcast Eternal models, I have to say the new designs look amazing. If they phase out the old Stormcast models and replace them with the new aesthetics, they are an army that I could see myself collecting in the future.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 7

I was really hoping for a destruction preview but I am still stoked. That cover art is grim and scary and I love it for the new rulebook. The Stormcast models look great and even though I am not interested in playing them I am happy for those that do. We have a new player in our hobby group that is over the moon! The fact we got AOS 3.0 and not the movie info is a big win for me :). Also, the trailer at the end has me so curious....GW really blue balled everyone on that one 😂 can't wait to see what destruction gets. 

The only thing left to do is get GW to stop making Eavy Metal paint SCE as Blue/Gold and we can finally stop people screaming sigmarine every 5 seconds

Looking at them side-by-side, the headswap won't look crazy too so the one singular gripe I'm seeing looks like an easy fix

Edited by Dreddships
  • Like 3

Well I have 6k points of Stormcast and I will be all over these. They are just very slick. I love the Hoplite look, feeling a bit closer to the John Blanche sketches with feathered wings. 

5E4B5320-452D-480A-8D03-6DCA2FAD2864.jpeg

8BA86B7C-AB59-41EF-AFA8-A36696B19417.jpeg

0CD3FCFD-D3AD-44DB-B7F1-1D657FC57493.jpeg

EAE8BD92-2B35-427D-A46A-6B90D77F56EB.jpeg

Edited by edmc78
  • Like 6

I don't think it's a plan to phase out old Stormcast anymore than the sequitors or the vanguard were. I do live the new look though. My Stormcast army is definitely getting some reinforcement. 

Does everyone think Yndrasta will be in the starter box? 

I'm very curious to see the destruction side. The Soul wars box was the first time I've genuinely liked every model in a starter set. I hope this edition continues the trend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sigmar's eugenic experiments to create a super human less rubbish than a regular man or Goblin on TT now onto its third stage

Look forward to the 50 existing Stormcast units being even less effective 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

The lower legs on the Vindictors really bug me. Maybe they're not as bad in person like the Reivers turned out to be (the Knights Excelsior one looks well proportioned). The tassets on the Annihilator look weird too, too flat and flush up against the leg.

Could probably throw the new arms on the current Lib/Paladin bodies though to match everything else.

I'm really into the gold on Yndrasta, I guess it looks kindof like the pale gold used on Lumineth. Makes me maybe question my whole colour scheme... again

24 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Otherwise it's just like hey, GW has decided to make new big stormcast, better slip in some justification a few months early in the form of Be'Lakor's storm. Feels like the fairly shallow logic, like the big dramatic problem was only brought in to introduce a new line of minis that ignore it, which if anything is even more transparent than how primaris were introduced (the galaxy is in flames, the only thing that can save it is... slightly larger marines with different bolter variants).

I get what you're saying, but, the Reforging process and Stormcast always returning to Azyr was always going to be a large plot point that the other GAs tried to disrupt or destroy. Yeah, it's underhanded of GW to tie lore to replacing old models but until we see the rules I don't think they would ****** over their flagship range with one new battleline unit

48 minutes ago, GenericEdgyName said:

Ok, new theory:  the red mask, the fact that there were  some eyes in groups of three in the video, and the way they emphasized in the stream that realms are still very chaos corrupted lead me to a thought. What if these are some gobbos/grots, that got mutated by chaos, but instead of worshipping it, they just kinda kept doing their own thing? That would also explain why they'd be bigger than normal grots

unless they're going to retcon it through WHF, AOS, and 40k- the greenskins being fungus prevents them from being Chaos corrupted.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

The only thing left to do is get GW to stop making Eavy Metal paint SCE as Blue/Gold and we can finally stop people screaming sigmarine every 5 seconds

Looking at them side-by-side, the headswap won't look crazy too so the one singular gripe I'm seeing looks like an easy fix

I think that default scheme is incredibly boring and does them no favours, and the chunky silver edge highlights on the armour always look terrible in closeup

Every single alternate scheme in that spearmen shot looked better

Edit: the Silver Tower grot scutlings had spider mutations caused by the towers iirc

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

So the Vindictors look cool, I like everything about the visual design, but man, this really does sound like primaris stormcast. Stronger, tougher, better gear, developed in real time by Sigmar/Grungni to be better adapted for the new post-Big Events world (but all in a simultaneously earthshaking and fairly inconsequential fashion) and in some regards render their predecessors obsolete, better proportions in the minis. I can't say I care for that. They're not even meaningfully distinct from regular warrior chambers in the same way as the vanguard or sacrosanct were.

Honestly if they were something like the Azyrheim home guard, the few elite warriors Sigmar had always kept back to defend the walls of Sigmaron and who had the right to bear his own face on their shields, the warriors with a superior link to the realm of Heavens, who are now in this time of desperate trials and broken realms sent out to join the stormhosts in the eight realms, that'd be fine. Arguably it would be something more like Stormcast Custodes but hey, that would be a distinct role from the line stormcast of the warrior, vanguard and sacrosanct chambers.

Otherwise it's just like hey, GW has decided to make new big stormcast, better slip in some justification a few months early in the form of Be'Lakor's storm. Feels like the fairly shallow logic, like the big dramatic problem was only brought in to introduce a new line of minis that ignore it, which if anything is even more transparent than how primaris were introduced (the galaxy is in flames, the only thing that can save it is... slightly larger marines with different bolter variants).

I do get how "lol it's primaris versions of X" gets overused as a response in the fandom to cover a host of new releases but... this is that. It's the primaris model to a T and integrated less elegantly than e.g. new skarboyz/beast snaggas as an indirect redo of regular ork boyz as regular line infantry sculpts.

The lore is *always* just the engine to sell new models though. I mean that's the definition of the GW template, certainly since AOS at least. 

Sigmar is always going to have to make new Stormcast. Chaos is always going to have its next renaissance after its last defeat. Other factions are going to try and supersede the position of those two and some will manage it for a bit but fail when the next edition comes along etc. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I get what you're saying, but, the Reforging process and Stormcast always returning to Azyr was always going to be a large plot point that the other GAs tried to disrupt or destroy. Yeah, it's underhanded of GW to tie lore to replacing old models but until we see the rules I don't think they would ****** over their flagship range with one new battleline unit

I get that but... in a month? Preventing the reforging process was already around through Archaon's varanite anvils and Nagash's soul stealers rightful reclaimers, and had was already growing as a thing of existential dread and horror for the Stormcast, in interesting ways. BR: Be'Lakor brought in that on a larger scale but then it's clearly been dropped quickly. Feels like wasted potential.

5 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

unless they're going to retcon it through WHF, AOS, and 40k- the greenskins being fungus prevents them from being Chaos corrupted.

I don't think it's particularly likely in this case, particularly as there already are non-chaos greenskins with multiple eyes like the spiderfang shaman, but the orkoids' shtick has been that they're resistant and less-than-ideal subjects of chaos corruption (they just don't care usually), not that they're completely immune.

From 40k, only a few editions ago:

Mutant ork | Warhammer, Warhammer fantasy, Warhammer 40k

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

I get that but... in a month? Preventing the reforging process was already around through Archaon's varanite anvils and Nagash's soul stealers rightful reclaimers, and had was already growing as a thing of existential dread and horror for the Stormcast, in interesting ways. BR: Be'Lakor brought in that on a larger scale but then it's clearly been dropped quickly. Feels like wasted potential.

I don't think it's particularly likely in this case, particularly as there already are non-chaos greenskins with multiple eyes like the spiderfang shaman, but the orkoids' shtick has been that they're resistant and less-than-ideal subjects of chaos corruption (they just don't care usually), not that they're completely immune.

From 40k, only a few editions ago:

Mutant ork | Warhammer, Warhammer fantasy, Warhammer 40k

I think the release schedule has made it seem a bit indecent but I dont think BR and the new were intended to have such a contracted release period. Certainly more than a week apart of announcement at any rate I think. Likewise there probably was the intent to let things percolate a bit but after a year of pandemic affected buisness planning the commercial focus has to be to the fore 

A note on the map of Ghur - it isn't new, I'm afraid: It is the same one that appears in the Sons of Behemat Battletome. Sorry if someone has already pointed that out and I skimmed passed it.

Now with that out of the way

These were some incredible reveals!

Yndrasta is without a doubt one of my favourite models in a long time, and if the lore for her is as cool as the model, she has the potential to be my favourite AoS-original character.

The new Stormcast will take some getting used to, but I think I like them.

The red eyes look mostly like they are clustered in pairs, with some lone eyes suggesting they are on the sides of heads/the figures are turned more towards their prey and each other than to us, the viewer, in my opinion? And I feel if it were Fimir there would be more talk about brine and fog - particularly fog - rather than just bogs and fens. However, you know what greenskins did exist (and even "technically" had rules) in the World that Was that could easily become a lanky-goblin type creature, as suggested by the rumours/leaks, and lived in swamps?
Boglars/Toad Gnoblars!

• Like 1

Yeah, the last trailer is totally about fimirs.

Creatures of the swamp who use fog to hide them from the sun, and they tend to kidnap people as well (the nursery rhyme keeps saying "disappeared" for all soldiers).

And yes, the map is litterally having a "fimir bay".

Technically, fimirs are green so they can be called "greenskins" too.

And in the first editions, fimirs were kinda associated with greenskins in general. Especially in Heroquest.

So my bet is that fimirs are back, and they are Destruction boys !

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

@Nos I get how GW works, and what Covid's done to the release schedule (though even then we'd still only be talking about a few months rather than a month, I just wish they'd done it with a fraction more deftness.

Vanguard made sense in a post-reclamation world and didn't step that much on OG stormcast's toes. Sacrosanct made sense in the context of the Soul Wars and the problems of reforging, and only stepped on warrior chambers' toes a little. These new dudes, they just do the same thing as liberators/paladins/etc, only better and with slicker minis. There's no real differentiation and the justification of thunderstrike armour is more obviously a figleaf.

• Like 2