The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, xking said:

If Kragnos is the last book, then that's extremely disappointing.  So many plot threads from throughout the soul Wars have yet to be resolved or expanded on. And so many characters are left in this nebulous state where we don't really know what they are doing at the moment. 

For instance?

17 minutes ago, xking said:

If Kragnos is the last book, then that's extremely disappointing.  So many plot threads from throughout the soul Wars have yet to be resolved or expanded on. And so many characters are left in this nebulous state where we don't really know what they are doing at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

I am really hoping we get 1 or 2 more books post Kragnos.  Broken Realms might be the best campaign series that GW has put out and I don't want this ride to end. 

They are just setting up the narrative for 3rd ed-look at it this way -this could continue for the whole of next edition... I fully expect Alarielle's forces to rise, Kurnoth to return and Grungni to make his presence felt [and thats just the stuff I mad keen on- I also expect a few pleasant surprises]. But I don't expect any of these things before 3rd ed, perhaps not even for a while after the launch. But 3rd ed looks fantastic from the perspective of narrative.

• Like 4

Belakor feels like a dramatic middle in the story.

The Good Guys are defeated - the Bad Guys have a new superweapon and there is the threat still from Act 1 (Newborn, Kragnos Foreshadowing) yet to happen - but hope isn't lost because of Not-Grombindal even though we know it's Gordrakk who is the major threat.

Kragnos feels like it will deal with those two 'side-villains' using our 'side-heroes' - Kroak + Allarielle

But Gordrakk finally paying off - the conclusion to the Nagash/Neferata/Mannfred plot - the conclusion of the 'Anti Stormcast Cloud' -

That feels like a final chapter.

Calling Nagash or Neffy turning up to help Sigmar fight off 'the major threat' right now to fully conclude the Soul Wars/Rivalry arc.

Broken Realms : End Game inc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silverstu said:

They are just setting up the narrative for 3rd ed-look at it this way -this could continue for the whole of next edition... I fully expect Alarielle's forces to rise, Kurnoth to return and Grungni to make his presence felt [and thats just the stuff I mad keen on- I also expect a few pleasant surprises]. But I don't expect any of these things before 3rd ed, perhaps not even for a while after the launch. But 3rd ed looks fantastic from the perspective of narrative.

Continuing from last post -

Avengers Fan Service Moment in which Sigmar, Grungi, Allarielle and Teclis get a 'high five go team' moment as they face down Gordrakk + Kragnos book 5 lets go. 

Skeletor and Morathi turn up, beat back the Waagh! but oh no, final moments as Gordrakk decides to mad-lad, goes full GorkaSaiyan and crashes through the Gates of Excelsis.

3.0 begins. 

Thank you I'm taking this to Disney to get a lucrative film deal.

• Like 4

On the topic of the supposed 3.0 leaks I'm a little disappointed to see it looks like the double turn is staying. I personally don't mind as much but I've talked to so many people that say the #1 reason they avoid playing AOS is because of the "unfun double turn mechanic". That alone tells me it's problematic. 

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, wayniac said:

On the topic of the supposed 3.0 leaks I'm a little disappointed to see it looks like the double turn is staying. I personally don't mind as much but I've talked to so many people that say the #1 reason they avoid playing AOS is because of the "unfun double turn mechanic". That alone tells me it's problematic. 

Luckily I play with a group of friends, and we all hate it so never use it. I feel bad for the people who hate it but don’t have like minded people they are able to play with :/ 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I like the double turn in a competitive game, but I think it's poor in a casual setting. In a competitive game with two skilled players you each take advantage and risks of positioning and screens, but that sort of gameplay is difficult and requires a decent amount of preplanning, which many people just don't enjoy but I personally like a lot. At a casual game, most people don't position for the double because it's a lot of effort to do so in a fun game where they just want to throw a bloodthirster against a gargant, so there's usually a 50/50 chance of taking a massive loss on a turn 2 double. No one enjoys having their army wiped out without having much time actually making decisions with it, and this shouldn't be the punishment for being a new or casual player. 

While we can say "they just need to play better", I've found the casual players in the group just prefer it when there's no double turn. AoS is still a pretty casual game and a 'git gud' mentality doesn't help the community. Sometimes no double turn can be agreed upon, but othertimes one wants to keep it. 

I would like both versions to officially exist (with some tweaks to the no double turn variant). Yeah, people can just houserule, but when against a stranger official ruling is very important. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I love it, personally. So do most of the people that I play against. It's massively unpredictable and this is why it's a good thing. It means you cant reliably play balls the wall warhammer all the time. If you play super risky, you will have ****** experiences at least half of the time. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I just want for them to officially support a casual non double turn format. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreddships said:

Skeletor and Morathi turn up, beat back the Waagh! but oh no, final moments as Gordrakk decides to mad-lad, goes full GorkaSaiyan and crashes through the Gates of Excelsis.

I can totally see orruks go GorkaSaiyan (or is it MorkaSaiyan). Seems Legit 👍.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Feii said:

I just want for them to officially support a casual non double turn format. 

I would rather see it exist as a suggested rule for organized play. You still may get the people who think anything in organized play is automatically part of the game but I think a lot more people would say okay we're not using this for regular games if The default was off rather than on. It has been proven time and time again it is incredibly difficult to get people to agree to remove existing rules as a house rule while it seems easier to say okay sure will use this optional rule. 

Basically people are a lot more willing to agree to use an optional rule than agree to not use a base rule. So if they did that you could ignore it in normal games still have it for tournaments and use it when you feel the need to practice. 

Edited by wayniac

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I like the double turn in a competitive game, but I think it's poor in a casual setting. In a competitive game with two skilled players you each take advantage and risks of positioning and screens, but that sort of gameplay is difficult and requires a decent amount of preplanning, which many people just don't enjoy but I personally like a lot. At a casual game, most people don't position for the double because it's a lot of effort to do so in a fun game where they just want to throw a bloodthirster against a gargant, so there's usually a 50/50 chance of taking a massive loss on a turn 2 double. No one enjoys having their army wiped out without having much time actually making decisions with it, and this shouldn't be the punishment for being a new or casual player. 

While we can say "they just need to play better", I've found the casual players in the group just prefer it when there's no double turn. AoS is still a pretty casual game and a 'git gud' mentality doesn't help the community. Sometimes no double turn can be agreed upon, but othertimes one wants to keep it. 

I would like both versions to officially exist (with some tweaks to the no double turn variant). Yeah, people can just houserule, but when against a stranger official ruling is very important. 

I think you've got it backwards... in my opinion rolling for turn order should not be part of matched play any more.

I love rolling for turn order, especially with endless spells on the table, but I think the power creep in 2nd edition has ruined that mechanic in competitive games. It was fine when spells weren't wiping out units with each hero phase and shooting was some combination of rare, weak, and with limited threat range. Now the game is full of super long range wizards wiping out units and teleporting cannons. I like using those things, and I like the strategic implications of trying to play around them, but it makes me feel like a ****** when I get two turns in a row and blow my opponent off the table without their interaction.

As long as GW keeps writing armies with lethal long range magic/shooting then rolling for turn order will always result in a lot of games - I would even argue that it would be the majority of competitive games - being negative experiences for players. It's not necessarily imbalanced but it's not fun and I think that matters more than balance.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

(Is there a way so tga wont distort images like that?)

Most forums auto-resize images too big for the forum to show normally. Either resizing so it fits the window before uploading it to a post; or simply clicking on it to open the fullsize view will resolve the issue

That new model is very very cool! 

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Kroak, Morathi, Belakor, Gardus Steel Soul, the return of Grungni, and the incarnation of Slaanesh.

To battle these realm-ending forces Alarielle sends... the Sylvaneths equivalent of a Heraldor?

Worse, she sent the fantasy equivalent of those late 60s-early 70s hippie commune leaders with a guitar and a big van.

• Haha 1