The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

With the sheer number of factions I wonder if 3.0 will be a period of some consolidation. Both their games are reaching a near breaking point in simply getting everyone updated during an edition.

Some factions like Skaven are honestly in a dire need of massive update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I've just got to say, this new edition hype and pre-release rumors are some of my favorite parts about this hobby. Feels like yesterday people were talking about Death getting a spot in the next starter set.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this all pans out.

Speculation is one of my favourite parts of this hobby!! That few weeks between the Sons of Behemat teaser video and their official model unveiling were some of the most fun I've had in this hobby. 

Because 3.0 is Destruction I'm just as excited at the new prospect that this brings. I love all the Factions present within the Alliance so anything new or updated is going to be incredible.

I'm not expecting anything new for the Sons for a year or so realistically so my most hyped releases are going to be anything for the Mawtribes.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Weird point but I hope whatever comes for stormcast is more svelte. I've always thought they look far too chonk. Personal preference, if course.

While I don't mind the bulky look of the figures we have now, I'd be thrilled if the next chamber had a sleeker design. 

The Celestant Prime is actually a major contributing factor for this, the comparison between the dimensions of the model and the art are like a before-and-after for a weight-loss program, but we got stuck with "before."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Weird point but I hope whatever comes for stormcast is more svelte. I've always thought they look far too chonk. Personal preference, if course.

The profile of the flying celestant prime reminds me of a video of myself doing a bungee jump, and I'm rocking the dad bod and pushing middle age.

I agree. And maybe even shoulderpads that are not blinders. I used a laserpointer to see how much of its sight was obscured from a random Sequitor, and it's frankly awful.

But proportions that are a little closer to human instead of a chaos spawn in gold would be a good step already.

• Haha 2

Beastclaw Raiders and Gutbusters as well could do with a massive centrepiece model. A huge Mammoth with a Howdah full of Ogors for Beastclaw would do nicely and a model for Globb Glittermaw who is said to be the size of a Gargant for Mawtribes would be fitting.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Beastclaw Raiders and Gutbusters as well could do with a massive centrepiece model. A huge Mammoth with a Howdah full of Ogors for Beastclaw would do nicely and a model for Globb Glittermaw who is said to be the size of a Gargant for Mawtribes would be fitting.

well as long as they start replacing their resin heroes. 

the Ogor plastic range is probably the most serviceable and diverse product line of the older armies what really holds it back is the lack of Plastic heroes and maybe some of its random Resin models like Yeti and Maneaters. Tyrant was a start but they should have made a new Butcher model as well

i also have a sneaking feeling GW wants to do something with the Firebellies (since it has survive this long) and expand them but unsure how.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This ended up being barely related to what you said, but:

I'm almost scared of the idea of a Mawtribes update because of what it might do to the existing plastic kits. Almost all the actual ogres have some level of inter-compatibility, even if they were released multiple editions apart; I made an Ironguts squad out of Bulls (6th edition) and Mournfang Riders (8th edition) and the bits fit like they were made for each other. Based on the new Tyrant and other plastic kits, GW doesn't really do that kind of stuff anymore (look at the difference between old Tactical Squads and the newer Primaris units for other examples).

Ogres have some unfortunate looking resin sculpts lying around, but, again, with how customizable the infantry kits are, kitbashing foot-characters is basically a right of passage for most ogre collectors.

Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer keeping what we have over risking something new that might not be better.

All these "hobgoblin" rumors have me relieved since they'll give Destruction the attention it needs while keeping the heat off of Mawtribes

• Like 5

I struggle to accept the rumours that there will be an Indomitus style box released in June. Indomitus was released in July to line up with the new Financial Year. It seems crazy to tack the box on to the end of the 20/21 Financial year instead of using it as a launch platform for sales into 21/22. I cant imagine they need to pad the numbers for 20/21 given the 9th edition launch.

1 minute ago, Kelsicle said:

I struggle to accept the rumours that there will be an Indomitus style box released in June. Indomitus was released in July to line up with the new Financial Year. It seems crazy to tack the box on to the end of the 20/21 Financial year instead of using it as a launch platform for sales into 21/22. I cant imagine they need to pad the numbers for 20/21 given the 9th edition launch.

pretty sure all rumor said it was going to be release in July

If it is Snarlfang Goblins, I kind of hope they get lumped into Gloomspite (even if they worship the Sun and not Moon). I really like that Destruction has fewer but larger factions. I like Grots and I like having all my Grots in the same book so I can mix and match easier. I could see it done similar to Spiderfang in a few kits; Snarlfang mounted Hero/Wizard, Snarlfang Riders (Melee and Ranged options) Snarlfang Chariot (with hero option), and a Snarlfang-pulled artillery piece (like a ballista mounted on a chariot). 3-4 kits and you have a new sub faction.

I see Kharadron and Fyreslayers in separate books and not combined like Gloomspite/Warclans/Mawtribes and feel a bit sad. Neither are very large factions and it doesn't make sense to me that they aren't combined in some sort of "Children of Karugromthi" book.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I'm almost scared of the idea of a Mawtribes update because of what it might do to the existing plastic kits. Almost all the actual ogres have some level of inter-compatibility, even if they were released multiple editions apart; I made an Ironguts squad out of Bulls (6th edition) and Mournfang Riders (8th edition) and the bits fit like they were made for each other. Based on the new Tyrant and other plastic kits, GW doesn't really do that kind of stuff anymore (look at the difference between old Tactical Squads and the newer Primaris units for other examples).

Ogres have some unfortunate looking resin sculpts lying around, but, again, with how customizable the infantry kits are, kitbashing foot-characters is basically a right of passage for most ogre collectors.

Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer keeping what we have over risking something new that might not be better.

It a discussion to be had, the New Beastz Snagga boys has also stirred up the same conversation over between people who like Old Boyz (because of price and customizability) and people who want new Boyz

GW has either going to replace (Necron warriors and Destroyers) or allow the old and new version to exist in the same army but the New one is laughably superior to the old one (Primaris Marines)

7 minutes ago, novakai said:

pretty sure all rumor said it was going to be release in July

The video of spoilers claims thir source stated box set in June with advanced rulebook, and official release in July. I also share skepticism for June; with how crammed their revealed new models are, coupled with a second release hiatus, I doubt they can cram soulblight, kragnos, kroak & BR book(s?) AND new boxset for 3.0 by end of June...

24 minutes ago, novakai said:

well as long as they start replacing their resin heroes. 

the Ogor plastic range is probably the most serviceable and diverse product line of the older armies what really holds it back is the lack of Plastic heroes and maybe some of its random Resin models like Yeti and Maneaters. Tyrant was a start but they should have made a new Butcher model as well

i also have a sneaking feeling GW wants to do something with the Firebellies (since it has survive this long) and expand them but unsure how.

So much this. I can see GW phasing out finecast sooner than later. Hopefully that means new plastic yetis and sabretusks soon, both of which are hugely popular units. Then you've got butchers, maneaters, firebellies etc, and suddenly it looks like quite a big update.

Sadly though I can't see mawtribes being part of this destruction wave, especially if this is a preview from the new hobgoblin army. 

2021-02-09.png

10 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

If it is Snarlfang Goblins, I kind of hope they get lumped into Gloomspite (even if they worship the Sun and not Moon). I really like that Destruction has fewer but larger factions. I like Grots and I like having all my Grots in the same book so I can mix and match easier. I could see it done similar to Spiderfang in a few kits; Snarlfang mounted Hero/Wizard, Snarlfang Riders (Melee and Ranged options) Snarlfang Chariot (with hero option), and a Snarlfang-pulled artillery piece (like a ballista mounted on a chariot). 3-4 kits and you have a new sub faction.

I see Kharadron and Fyreslayers in separate books and not combined like Gloomspite/Warclans/Mawtribes and feel a bit sad. Neither are very large factions and it doesn't make sense to me that they aren't combined in some sort of "Children of Karugromthi" book.

Sure but I know a lot of KO players don't want their armies to merge because it kind of dilutes your tome and Lore sections and it feel like your sharing your identity rather then being unique by itself.  Disspossed players probably want it more because they are not exacatly rocking their identity in CoS. it kind of nice having your tome just solely dedicated on your army.

i was not particularly fond with Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz merging either and i will die on that hill because of stubbornness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Silphid said:

The video of spoilers claims thir source stated box set in June with advanced rulebook, and official release in July. I also share skepticism for June; with how crammed their revealed new models are, coupled with a second release hiatus, I doubt they can cram soulblight, kragnos, kroak & BR book(s?) AND new boxset for 3.0 by end of June...

it depends but Soulblight and Kroak, Kragnos, Twins, Witchhunters are looking like its just two seperate releases each taking one  slot in May or June, it really hinging on 40K release and if there is any other big releases outside Admech, Sister and Orks

1 hour ago, KriticalKhan said:

All these "hobgoblin" rumors have me relieved since they'll give Destruction the attention it needs while keeping the heat off of Mawtribes

They absolutely still can. The Ogre Blood bowl team isn't the most customizable, but the Escher Necromunda team certainly is, even with their wild poses. Tsaangors are also interestingly done, by splitting it up at the pecs

Edited by zilberfrid

So I have some theory’s on what’s going on possibly with the destruction story and what I think will be happening at the start of 3rd edition.

as for the 3rd edition starter and rumours being hobgoblin vs bretonnian stormcast. I think we’re going to have Gordrakk smashing excelsis and breaking into Azyr in a Broken realms book if there’s more after Kragnos or partially in Kragnos. The starter is going to be the vanguard forces of the order of Azyr mounted knights such as the knight seen in CC (similar armour to stormcast so easy to see why they thought stormcast) vs the vanguard of Gordrakks waaagh the “Gitmob” grots charging in on their wolves, chariots, and crude warmachines (pump wagons and grotbag ships) with their “Grom the paunch” like leader on his huge chariot leading the charge 

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I'm curious as to exactly how "Bretonian Stormcast" would translate into models.

I'm disinclined to believe that it's Order of Azyr units, because then they would have simply called them Bretonians, no Stormcast added.

SC already have a large cavalry selection (Dracothian Guard, Gryph-Chargers, Celestial Dracolines), so what would this add?

Aside from just "more unique mounts," flying cavalry might be the direction they go. Perhaps, like Extremis chamber, this release will feature fewer models built along a tighter theme?

There's an unsolved rumor engine featuring what looked like Stormcast arrows. We all know that cavalry archers have been an addition to several armies recently, perhaps the stormy boys will be getting some as well?

As for aesthetic changes, heraldry seems a popular theory. Perhaps more use of tabards (similar to Sacrosanct), even more elaborate shields, and things like chain or scale mail.

If we do get an infantry option, perhaps we'll see some proper Stormcast spearmen?

I'm curious on the direction of these "Bretonian Stormcasts" I much prefer the Stormcast we have at current over mundane humans, I don't like the look of the Order of Azyr models especially the witchhunters.  If they down a similar design route to Cleona Zeitengale of Cursed City I'd be all in though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

I like fat, meaty factions too rather than single weekend release and done styling.
Fyreslayers should be merged with Dispossessed to go back to the traditional dwarf faction. We've seen the popularity charts, Slayers: the army isn't lighting things on fire.

KO are way off to the side doing a completely different thing and wouldn't fit in easily with the above. So I'd hesitant to roll them in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Indecisive said:

I like fat, meaty factions too rather than single weekend release and done styling.
Fyreslayers should be merged with Dispossessed to go back to the traditional dwarf faction. We've seen the popularity charts, Slayers: the army isn't lighting things on fire.

KO are way off to the side doing a completely different thing and wouldn't fit in easily with the above. So I'd hesitant to roll them in.

Fyreslayers wouldnt fit at all into Dispossessed. They are much more like KO in the sense that they are a far off shot of what 'traditional' dwarfs are. People need to stop roping them into the old Slayers. They are vastly, vastly different then the old Slayers. They share a partial name and mohawks. Thats it.

If anything Fyreslayers are more related to Bonesplitterz because they are super religious zealots on a race wide crusade to piece together their fallen god.

Maybe at some point there will be a full merged dwarf book but they would still keep their separate lore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

I'm curious on the direction of these "Bretonian Stormcasts" I much prefer the Stormcast we have at current over mundane humans, I don't like the look of the Order of Azyr models especially the witchhunters.  If they down a similar design route to Cleona Zeitengale of Cursed City I'd be all in though.

Order of Azyr are still human, not golems animated by the souls of Sigmar's cultists. Now they are said cultists, but they still are alive.

I think the Witch hunters are really good but they are Cities, and the more we can seperate Cities and Stormcast, the better.

I'm not sure why the order of Azyr would be behind door #13 of the hammer guy's closet.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

I agree, nowt everything in destruction has to be greenskinz and giants of different heights (ogors/trolls/gargants) Personally I'd like to see a destruction faction with humans in it. Perhaps some sort of tribal or nomadic culture. A human/lycanthrope faction perhaps, with werewolves, beastmen, centaurs and other such creatures might work. 

I wont like it if they do this. I could see it happen if Chaos wasnt a thing already. They have the barbaric/cultist side of humanity covered imo. They also have access to Beasts of Chaos that already have the beastmen/centaur thing covered. I dont see greenskinz ally with humanity. They just want to smash stuff. I also feel like the kurnothi/centaurs (underworlds) are too much like an Order faction. It would hurt the image of the Grand Alliances if thing get spread out. But this is my opinion.

16 hours ago, Feii said:

Kinda sad to see people wish for a new destruction faction to be just another green men. Cmon you can have Centaur/Bear beasts with some interesting now gone culture and you wish for gnoblars? 

I would love gitmob grotz after they released Rippas Snarlfangs. I wouldnt care as much if they had just let it die off but they didnt do that. They made new models and also kept them alive in the lore. Its not weird if people want to have new models. Also Centaurs are already a thing and bears will probably be a Kislev thing when the Old World stuff gets released. 

I'm not opposed to a new faction in Destruction at all. Something like living nature things like golems, elementals, spirits or shamanic/druid things wanting revenge for some reason. I'd see something like that being allies with Destruction.

Edited by Iksdee