The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, KratosvonCarstein said:

Don't know if this has been posted before but Grimdark Live seem extremely sure of an Indomitus styled box in June for AoS 3.0 and Hobgoblins are part of this box as a new destruction faction:

Yeah it was posted here when it was released :)  

I didn't knew those guys before, but they seem very confident in their last two videos about AOS3, and IIRC Rob the honest wargamer reacted favorably to them, so ...

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Vargskyr 680pts? I guess it's not a meta pick

As far as I can tell, those points and warscrolls are straight out of the Cursed City box. Meaning you need to take all the Death heroes, Vargskyr, Nightguard and Bloodborn together as a package for 680.

I believe what we are seeing is that all Cursed City models with the Soulblight keyword are auto-categorized into a new allegiance on Azyr, which is likely supposed to fully come online after the battletome releases.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Question then is, are they Hobgrots? Hobgits? What is their AOS name?

Sadly, no. Truth is, regular goblins and hobgoblins kinda overlap, the latter double down in the mongolian themes, but both were wolfriders of the steppes and treacherous. Goblins even got nasty Skulkers, that looked a lot like Sneaky Gitz, the only special thing Hobs had.

So I think Rippa's Snarlfangs where the nail inthe coffin for Hobgoblins, at least as we know them. These "hobgoblin-looking" army is most likely Gitmob grots.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

So I had a look myself, and in the 'Battleline' section you have the vargheists and Blood Knights, and the leader section you have all vampires currently available. Iiiinteresting if both blood knights and vargheists can be battleline, could lead to being somewhat elite?

Vargheists and Blood Knights are currently Soulblight allegiance Battleline, so this could just be a temporary porting over.

15 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Vargheists and Blood Knights are currently Soulblight allegiance Battleline, so this could just be a temporary porting over.

As far as I can tell (don't have the army builder unlocked on Azyr), it's kind of hard to make sense of why some units are in the Gravelords allgiance and others are out.

All units from Cursed City with the SOULBLIGHT keyword are in. And it seems like some established units with the SOULBLIGHT keyword are in, as well (but not all). Best I can tell it's all SOULBLIGHT from Cursed City, plus all non-hero SOULBLIGHT otherwise.

49 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

You know what?

Back in the days of Tolkien, goblins and orcs were described as the same kind of creatures.

Time to rewatch the Hobbit again!

Hmm ... When I read this, I think back to some rumor engine pics :

2020-10-27.jpg2020-11-03.jpg2020-11-17.jpg2021-02-09.jpg

And I see this :

b637330d8d44fb6d647fc35441992080.jpghttp://www.centives.net/S/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/042113_1620_1.jpg

Is this the kind of connection to make? ;)

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

You know what?

Back in the days of Tolkien, goblins and orcs were described as the same kind of creatures.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

As far as I can tell (don't have the army builder unlocked on Azyr), it's kind of hard to make sense of why some units are in the Gravelords allgiance and others are out.

All units from Cursed City with the SOULBLIGHT keyword are in. And it seems like some established units with the SOULBLIGHT keyword are in, as well (but not all). Best I can tell it's all SOULBLIGHT from Cursed City, plus all non-hero SOULBLIGHT otherwise.

Strange that the regular Soulblight heroes aren't in, otherwise I would say it just filters on 'SOULBLIGHT'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Absolute cracker of a tune. I'll admit to a fondness for the Mux Mool remix.

More on topic, I could well believe that those collected rumour engines (and I think a further two or three images?) are for some sort of new goblins. That scrappy aesthetic has been applied to goblinoid stuff before. It would reasonably distinguish them from the Gloomspite crew and, if the steppe nomad/Mongol/hobgoblin aesthetic makes an appearance, would stop them being entirely reducible to a one-note non-human stereotype of a RL culture.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Imagine it'll get squatted for a SC! Nighthaunt repackage from Soul Wars?

That would be a good call if they did want to repackage it in the same fashion as the AoS 1st edition box. It would be a touch on the large side perhaps, wouldn't be too surprised to see them cutting out the mounted Knight of Shrouds/Guardian of Souls/Spirit Torment sprue and selling it as its own "Spectral Heroes" box or something for an eye-gouging amount, given that would be the only way to get the first two of those models.

Hard to say though, a whole bunch of 40k models from Dark Imperium (gravis captain, nurgle lord, monopose intercessors and plague marines) just went OOP when they moved to 9th edition, they could do the same here. Hopefully not.

Edited by sandlemad

3 hours ago, Jator said:

Sadly, no. Truth is, regular goblins and hobgoblins kinda overlap, the latter double down in the mongolian themes, but both were wolfriders of the steppes and treacherous. Goblins even got nasty Skulkers, that looked a lot like Sneaky Gitz, the only special thing Hobs had.

So I think Rippa's Snarlfangs where the nail inthe coffin for Hobgoblins, at least as we know them. These "hobgoblin-looking" army is most likely Gitmob grots.

I do like that they bring back the style of gitmob grots. But wont it make them look like they are from the same region as the rumoured Kislev old world army? They also got something like a mongolian theme right? Could this be on purpose? I'm not strong in lore-fu i'm sorry haha.

Edited by Iksdee

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

You know what?

So you're telling me...we are getting Orruk/Grot hybrids!?

1 hour ago, Draznak said:

And I see this :

b637330d8d44fb6d647fc35441992080.jpghttp://www.centives.net/S/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/042113_1620_1.jpg

I reaaaally want some of those to be Gargant or Ogor RE but Grots make sense as well.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

So you're telling me...we are getting Orruk/Grot hybrids!?

I reaaaally want some of those to be Gargant or Ogor RE but Grots make sense as well.

I can't take this much hype !. Oh, my Moon! I think I'm gonna die, I must resist and I must try to forget all these rumours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I can't take this much hype !. Oh, my Moon! I think I'm gonna die, I must resist and I must try to forget all these rumours.

I know right? Destruction is getting it's time in the spotlight after 6 years and who knows what we may have on the horizon!!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, rounding up the rumors and Whitefang's reactions (I saw you trophy that rumor about the Grimdark Live Podcast rumors ;)).

1. Kragnos is part of Destruction. Sounds like he's possibly an old forgotten god who has now returned to find his people literally all gone and if that city in the video wasn't necessarily ruins of his people, then its most likely one he recently helped destroy.

2. AoS 3.0 will have an Indomitus style box of "hobgoblin-esque" wolf riders vs "Bretonnian" stormcast.

I was actually the one that mentioned that video earlier in this thread, and I said it then and I'll say it again. I think these descriptors are loose terms. I heard about Bonereapers before they were announced and they were described to me as Tomb Kings, simply because that's what people had closest reference to. I think its most likely Gitmob Grots vs just Stormcast with more heraldry or perhaps even Cities of Sigmar knights in the style of that knight from Cursed City. Goblin wolf riders have the same Mongol style as the old Hobgoblin's. They're probably going to be bigger looking now from scale creep too. If you saw Mongol style, larger goblins, and only had the reference of Hobgoblins from the Old World, you'd probably confuse the two. Plus in the Gloomspite Gitz battletome it says the Gitmob Grots gravitate towards plains and steppes, another factor associated with old hobgoblins.

Putting these two rumors together actually makes a lot of sense as a whole. If Broken Realms Kragnos is the last BR book, with Kragnos being a Destruction god returned, it leads perfectly into the a Destruction-focused narrative for 3.0 and a boxed set featuring Destruction to kick things off. Plus from a different perspective, Destruction has to have their own god/named character model. Order has several gods as models already, Death has Nagash, Chaos has, not exactly a god, but Archeon. Destruction has no "god" character to swing blows with the other gods. Sure, they have mega-gargants and Gordrakk, but he's not really on the same level I don't think. I wouldn't say he's god-tier.

Edited by FFJump
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, FFJump said:

So, rounding up the rumors and Whitefang's reactions (I saw you trophy that rumor about the Grimdark Live Podcast rumors ;)).

1. Kragnos is part of Destruction. Sounds like he's possibly an old forgotten god who has now returned to find his people literally all gone and if that city in the video wasn't necessarily ruins of his people, then its most likely one he recently helped destroy.

2. AoS 3.0 will have an Indomitus style box of "hobgoblin-esque" wolf riders vs "Bretonnian" stormcast.

I was actually the one mentioned that video earlier in this thread, and I said it then and I'll say it again. I think these descriptors are loose terms. I heard about Bonereapers before they were announced and they were described to me as Tomb Kings, simply because that's what people had closest reference to. I think its most likely Gitmob Grots vs just Stormcast with more heraldry or perhaps even Cities of Sigmar knights in the style of that knight from Cursed City. Goblin wolf riders have the same Mongol style as the old Hobgoblin's. They're probably going to be bigger looking now from scale creep too. If you saw Mongol style, larger goblins, and only had the reference of Hobgoblins from the Old World, you'd probably confuse the two. Plus in the Gloomspite Gitz battletome it says the Gitmob Grots gravitate towards plains and steppes, another factor associated with old hobgoblins.

Putting these two rumors together actually makes a lot of sense as a whole. If Broken Realms Kragnos is the last BR book, with Kragnos being a Destruction god returned, it leads perfectly into the a Destruction-focused narrative for 3.0 and a boxed set featuring Destruction to kick things off. Plus from a different perspective, Destruction has to have their own god/named character model. Order has several gods as models already, Death has Nagash, Chaos has, not exactly a god, but Archeon. Destruction has no "god" character to swing blows with the other gods. Sure, they have mega-gargants and Gordrakk, but he's not really on the same level I don't think. I wouldn't say he's god-tier.

I’m curious if Kragnos will lead these new Hobgoblins, or if he’ll have his own faction, or if he’ll be able to lead all destruction factions, like Nagash. 

I think I'm somewhat still firmly in the camp of Kragnos being connected to the Kurnothi, the red hair, fancy emerald/jade looking earrings. That and the bear-like face does give me a forest/hunt vibe.

I do also like the theory that he's the offspring of Alarielle and Kurnoth, either way, hopefully we get some answers sometime soon.

36 minutes ago, FFJump said:

I was actually the one mentioned that video earlier in this thread, and I said it then and I'll say it again. I think these descriptors are loose terms. I heard about Bonereapers before they were announced and they were described to me as Tomb Kings, simply because that's what people had closest reference to. I think its most likely Gitmob Grots vs just Stormcast with more heraldry or perhaps even Cities of Sigmar knights in the style of that knight from Cursed City. Goblin wolf riders have the same Mongol style as the old Hobgoblin's. They're probably going to be bigger looking now from scale creep too. If you saw Mongol style, larger goblins, and only had the reference of Hobgoblins from the Old World, you'd probably confuse the two. Plus in the Gloomspite Gitz battletome it says the Gitmob Grots gravitate towards plains and steppes, another factor associated with old hobgoblins.

Mate this sounds awesome. I really hope what you are saying is right and the Azyr Knight angle could be what people believe are 'Bretonnian Stormcast'. In regards to the Grots, having a Mongol aesthetic is also one shared with the Gutbusters, wondering if perhaps the Mawtribes will go with a new aesthetic of that of the Kosargi Guard of Cursed City or if they simply will share it. 

15 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

mcvitie--039-s-hobnobs-milk-chocolate.jpg

This made me laugh waaay too much mate!!

26 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m curious if Kragnos will lead these new Hobgoblins, or if he’ll have his own faction, or if he’ll be able to lead all destruction factions, like Nagash. 

I believe he will be a Nagash type character for all Destruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

I think I'm somewhat still firmly in the camp of Kragnos being connected to the Kurnothi, the red hair, fancy emerald/jade looking earrings. That and the bear-like face does give me a forest/hunt vibe.

I do also like the theory that he's the offspring of Alarielle and Kurnoth, either way, hopefully we get some answers sometime soon.

It would be nice to have destruction Kurnothi army. Something along the lines of aelves or sylvaneth overtaken by the wild hunt

• LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Draznak said:

And I see this :

If we get a Warhammized version of Shadow of War uruks I [something funny about recklessly spending large quantities of money].
  That's how bad it is, I don't even know how to express it .

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1