The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

There is no point to all this marketing and hype if you cant buy the product at all.

This is what's annoying people most. Products that won't don't or can't be bought with ads and hype for MONTHS! I mean GW made sure every influencer got a copy so the product could be advertised, but failed to supply FLGS or the public or their own online store properly.

Indomitus was the same. I mean jeez guys - delay the release. It's not rocket science.

2 hours ago, Souleater said:

Ach. Disappointing but the double whammy of Covid and Brexit must be a frickin' nightmare to deal with.

In fairness, I agree. This past 12 months has been a 100% communications/marketing mess. They could have delayed everything and been open about it months ago - everyone gets it, Covid is a nightmare, we can empathize we're living it too! If they had done that and maximized production times and made sure product launches were adequately stocked (a basic law of sales btw) that would have been good planning.

But when you promise something and fail to deliver that's 100% different. When you don't tell anyone that a product is a limited run. When you don't have 10-20% supply level when the market is awash with cash (sorry to anyone who is struggling but the fact is right now more people have spare cash because they aren't spending money on Petrol, public transport, holidays, business lunches, or well... clothes). That's a recipe for disaster, and all points to a business plan not working post Brexit and during Covid.

Let's imagine something else for 1 second. Let's imagine GW made the models and printed everything in the UK and added 50% to the RRP - we'd buy it. Now imagine if instead of running out of pre-orders they delayed releases and went 100% made to order (you know like Reaper) - we'd buy it. 

What GW did, it seems to me, is work through Covid on a pre-covid supply/demand model. And kept their focus on in-store supply levels instead of digital (and also accounts for the 3 party supply levels). Which has to be about the real estate costs of the physical shops. Because it's not a model that makes sense otherwise.

And my heart goes out to the guys who run Warhammer shops through this pandemic but GW must should have made this statement a long time ago.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 4

Meh. It's my toy soldier models.

My cats are fed. (And not having another very expensive medical bill) My job is okay.

I am laid back on GW models.  Some more information on what happened with Cursed City would be good, but my main thought is that folks in the shops and the GW factory are safe and well.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Rumours point to the delay being due to problems at the warehouse as well as a move to the new facilities they have been building in Nottingham for a while. 

This is a big part of the reason why I don't believe the rumours about 3rd edition. I don't think even gw knows exactly what their release schedule for the next few months looks like. 

I still expect the first two weeks after they start up again to be admech and Necromunda/ Underworlds. Then we'll probably get Kragnos or Soulblight. 

It's a bummer for anyone waiting for Admech but on the AoS side a bit of a pause is probably a good idea. 

• Like 1

After the rush to get all Broken Realms books out they made me believe they were still trying to get AoS 3.0 on time, but after all these delays and the debacle with cursed city? I mean what if they have the same issues with the starter set? Can AoS survive a limited edition starter set almost no one interested can get into? What are the stores going to display to entice people? The old starter set? Hey look how cool these models, yes they are four years old, but don’t worry you may be able to buy newer models but not a starter set...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alghero81 said:

After the rush to get all Broken Realms books out they made me believe they were still trying to get AoS 3.0 on time, but after all these delays and the debacle with cursed city? I mean what if they have the same issues with the starter set? Can AoS survive a limited edition starter set almost no one interested can get into? What are the stores going to display to entice people? The old starter set? Hey look how cool these models, yes they are four years old, but don’t worry you may be able to buy newer models but not a starter set...

Exactly this. People not being able to buy Cursed City is no where near as big of a problem as people not being able to buy the AoS3 starter/rulebook

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novakai said:

i mean the year is still 8 months left that like plenty of time really, i wouldn't know how they delayed the edition that much anyway considering that most of its done by now

New editions are released usually at the start of the financial year for gw, if they wouldn’t be able to meet sales expectations due to low stock then I wouldn’t be surprised if they held it back until the next financial year 

Edited by Joseph Mackay

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

New editions are released usually at the start of the financial year for gw, if they wouldn’t be able to meet sales expectations due to low stock then I wouldn’t be surprised if they held it back until the next financial year 

That what they would prefer to happen but it not like delaying it a month or two means much.

as a company they have to keep releasing product to sell and they are not going to hold back a finish project for that long. 

if it is logistic issues is just something they have deal with and find ways to go around, not stop completely

Edited by novakai

14 minutes ago, novakai said:

That what they would prefer to happen but it not like delaying it a month or two means much.

as a company they have to keep releasing product to sell and they are not going to hold back a finish project for that long. 

if it is logistic issues is just something they have deal with and find ways to go around it not stop completely

If they have stock issues like Cursed City though it’ll do too much damage. People WILL leave the game if they feel gw are exploiting ‘fomo’ on a core item that you NEED to even be able to play the game (referring to both the supposed starter set and rulebook as I suspect the rulebook would be the biggest problem production wise as it’ll be printed in China if it’s a hardback again). And let’s be real for a minute, the amount of people who ALREADY believe gw exploit fomo is insane 

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

If they have stock issues like Cursed City though it’ll do too much damage. People WILL leave the game if they feel gw are exploiting ‘fomo’ on a core item that you NEED to even be able to play the game (referring to both the supposed starter set and rulebook as I suspect the rulebook would be the biggest problem production wise as it’ll be printed in China if it’s a hardback again). And let’s be real for a minute, the amount of people who ALREADY believe gw exploit fomo is insane 

its minority of people who can't keep it real and angry type on the internet all day about Fomo

the rulebook is just going to be printed in the UK, i believe someone said the recent Battletomes or BR books where swap to the UK, they just print everything in the UK and jack the price up and people will just ****** about that when it happens.

or they just release fewer add ons and just printed the good old command and recruit editions

• Like 1

I would be surprised if there wasn't an official statement made/released early in the week.  The amount they spend/invest in marketing to have something like this dominating the headlines is a problem for them.  Especially without new releases for the next few weeks to reduce the focus.

5 minutes ago, Marius au said:

I would be surprised if there wasn't an official statement made/released early in the week.  The amount they spend/invest in marketing to have something like this dominating the headlines is a problem for them.  Especially without new releases for the next few weeks to reduce the focus.

The problem is, even if they say something, what are the odds the statement is quality enough to calm people down?

1 hour ago, Cronotekk said:

According to rumors the game is getting worse with the new edition

-more stormcast

-smaller table (goodbye maneuvering, more big melee blob in the middle)

-charge reactions (shooting units get stronger)

Na, the game will be fine.

Some things will still be bad, other will be good as always.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cronotekk said:

-more stormcast

Comparism_old_new_size.JPG.b109bc05bd4146ddb23b35bf2bbd19e4.JPG

So you really think a smaller size like above would impact maneuvering so much, that there is a need to wave it goodbye?

Nobody knows if shooting units get stronger before all rules are known.

I think it is a good thing, that they sell these new Playfields on Cardboard. (Maybe this affects the 3.0 Edition like Cursed City?)

Although i loved the plastic playfield, it was way too expensive for a core item needed to play. I would love it, if gw started to produce its own game-mats for an ok price. I have a few from other companys an they are great for playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bombort said:

I think it is a good thing, that they sell these new Playfields on Cardboard. (Maybe this affects the 3.0 Edition like Cursed City?)

Although i loved the plastic playfield, it was way too expensive for a core item needed to play. I would love it, if gw started to produce its own game-mats for an ok price. I have a few from other companys an they are great for playing.

Back in the old days, we played on 4' x 8' tables and you had to build them yourself from plywood, 2x4s, screws, and a little elbow grease ... and they were great. None of this pre-fab stuff. Carpenters glue, fine ballast, green paint. Ah, the memories.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

Yeah, none of these rumour are inherently good or bad. If anything the idea of a smaller playing area mitigates shooting by a substantial margin. I am fine with new Stormcast so long as they do not turn them into Space Marines and they retain some form of uniqueness between chambers.

As @Beliman pointed out there will likely be some improvements and some drawbacks and we need to wait and see how these things all balance out. 🙂

32 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Na, the game will be fine.

Some things will still be bad, other will be good as always.

100% this

2 hours ago, Cronotekk said:

-more stormcast

I’m not against any of those but let’s see what happens if there is a new edition. I suspect Charge Reactions will use a command point or there may be a test of some sorts. 

• Like 1