The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

Vandus goes for 280. Korghos goes for 200. 

Ugh, yet another loose design decision by GW. I just don't see how this makes sense. Both models increased by 60 points, a 27% increase for Vandus and a 43% increase for Korghos.

Vandus' warscroll is substantially better than the generic Lord Celestant on Dracoth. His weapon damage is 3 instead of d3, his mount gets an extra attack, and most importantly his old command ability is now an extra special ability and he has a new command ability that is VERY powerful.  As to whether he is worth 280 points is debatable, but at least those extra 60 points reflect a substantial buff to the warscroll.

Korghos, on the other hand, has the exact same warscroll except he gets the powerful Bane of Aqshy ability. The problem is that Korghos' battalion already gives him that ability. So when you run Korghos in his Goretide battalion, he now costs 60 points more but gains no benefit whatsoever. Furthermore, you are required to take him in the Goretide battalion instead of a regular Mighty Lord of Khorne, which basically just means that the battalion costs 60 more points than it used to AND you can no longer give your Mighty Lord an artefact or command trait. 

So Korghos is strictly worse than his old warscroll when you run him in his own battalion. He's better than a regular Mighty Lord of Khorne outside of that battalion, but I'm not sure if the Bane of Aqshy rule alone justifies the 60 point increase, particularly given that it's a 43% increase rather than the 27% increase for Vandus. 

Then, to make matters worse, he has an incredibly awkward rule stating that "if [Korghos Khul] is taken as a part of another battalion, all of the other Khorne Mortal  models in the battalion should also come from the Goretide." What does this even mean? You can't fit a Goretide battalion in any other battalion as far as I know, so is this just telling you that you have to paint your models in a certain way? It seems like it's rules text but it has no functional rules meaning as far as I can see.

I'm certainly not saying that these pointings or warscrolls are imbalanced, just that it really seems like they put effort into one of these warscrolls and totally mailed it in on the other. I can abide questionable balance decisions, but I really hate laziness (particularly when it's the flagship faction that gets the effort and the rest get second tier treatment).

• Like 4

I just dislike how now I have to convert my LCoD so people don't have to ask "Is that Vandus?". Which wouldn't be so bad if the dracothian guard/LCoD kit wasn't so static looking.

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Vandus' warscroll is substantially better than the generic Lord Celestant on Dracoth. His weapon damage is 3 instead of d3, his mount gets an extra attack, and most importantly his old command ability is now an extra special ability and he has a new command ability that is VERY powerful.  As to whether he is worth 280 points is debatable, but at least those extra 60 points reflect a substantial buff to the warscroll.

Right, but to get the battleshock aura, he must be in a Hammers of Sigmar Battalion (4 Liberators, 2 Judicators), and it only affects that battalion. So a total of 1080 pts (with min unit sizes). Thats a lot of your army right there.

Edited by ZephyrExia

@swarmofseals basically covered it but I'll go ahead and say that these points are imbalanced as far as Khul goes. People were not lining up to take this guy at 140 with an artifact and a command trait. He was basically considered a subpar choice before BoK at 140 without Bane of Aqshy but with Command, Artifact and infinite dispels.

I'm in the middle of painting a BoK army using Goretide (a decidedly not top tier army already) and this is just a kick in the nuts.

I don't think Vandus is great for his points either (mostly because Staunch Defender is busted) but he at least offers some unique things and he isn't a mandated part of a key battalion so you don't lose anything by his mere existence.

• Like 1

The only sensible reason for GW to actually do this is to promote how good 40K 8th is compaired to "rushjob" Age of Sigmar.

It's a really strange form of promotion. Eat the younger sibling so that the older one gets stronger type of deal.

That moment when GW shows up to your Goretide Battalion, you want to throw some Blades of Khorne but your Mighty Lord of Khorne gets thrown out of the window anyway.

Thanks GW!

Wonderful follow up to the Forge World joke of last week :D 

Edited by Killax

This thread is getting a little bit moany,  and not particularly rumoury. 

The rule that's causing the issue is the one below but, as it's on Khul's warscroll, it surely wouldn't apply if you didn't take him in your army. 

The beauty of AoS is that you don't need books and rules from all over the place. If someone has the Bloodbound book but hasn't downloaded the Khul scroll they wouldn't know about this bolt-on rule.

GW setting a precedent of scrolls which force you to play other scrolls in different ways would get very messy indeed. 

Granted, it's not 100% clear, however. If you'd like to continue the discussion further, could someone please open a thread in the chaos section of the forum. 

Thanks.

Screenshot_2017-06-18-15-31-47.png

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Umjammerlama said:

Just seen this

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/19/walk-the-path-to-glorygw-homepage-post-2/

Looks like Path of Glory is getting a stand alone book.

One of the things that Jervis Johnson has said is that he thinks that Path to Glory is one of the best things to come out of AoS, so I can see this being the first of a few books in this vein!

Unless path to glory fixes some of the glaring imbalances, it's a pass for me.  Great idea, but such poor execution that nobody I know will touch it since there's less thought than usual to balance and nobody wants to be the guy rolling up with some plague monks and a plague priest against like a nearly 2000 point Stormcast army.

It would be really nice if it used Renown like skirmish to actually have something slightly resembling balance (although Skirmish is far from balanced) but it's doubtful as it's too much overlap.  So I'm curious to see how, if at all, anything remotely like balance is achieved.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 1

Just now, The Door Master said:

Since AoS is going through a bit of a dry period at the moment due to all the New 40k stuff, does anyone have any speculation as to what AoS releases could be coming?

I'm putting my money on green and reckon Nurgle as it would neatly tie in with the Death Guard releases.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Door Master said:

Since AoS is going through a bit of a dry period at the moment due to all the New 40k stuff, does anyone have any speculation as to what AoS releases could be coming?

9 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm putting my money on green and reckon Nurgle as it would neatly tie in with the Death Guard releases.

I'm also betting on Nurgle and maybe some Aelves.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I'm also betting on Nurgle and maybe some Aelves.

yea id agree. those nurglish feet we got some time back - tho i doubt im the first to point this out, but look at the nurgle beast in the far down left corner

looks like something that could be used for both systems

New40kArtContent1.jpg

• Like 1