The Rumour Thread

I was hoping we would have the roll off for first turn like 40k, it opens up list building a lot more. Those low point melee heroes & monsters might be worth looking at again. Battalions never seemed balanced points wise, some armies have to take junk ones like bonus to bravery just to reduce drops then other armies get powerful ones for similar points and reducing their drops. You also have all the issues with the 'tax' you pay to bring a terrible unit in if you wanted a good one.

30 minutes ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

So I have heard from someone I think is reliable

1. All existing batallions to be taken out of matched play in ghb21

2. New battalion/force org system introduced in aos3

i can see this as a way to simplify the game slightly and take out some more egregious rules like Changehost.

Hope that battalions from broken realms still reamain in matched play but happy we got rid from a lot of unplayable battallions(STE player)

I hope we keep battalions for the sake of small power ups (as in, the abilities given), but remove the drop benefit, the CP benefit, and the artifact benefit (have a different way to get them). Battaltions are cool for making more out of a unit, giving them a small boost, but all of the extra stuff piled on top of them leaves some haves and have nots. Many take battalions not for the abilities but more for the single drop to dictate the initial flow of battle; armies with rubbish or unwieldy battalions lose out on first turn priority.

Making battalions about 60-70pts cheaper and remove all benefits besides the written unique benefit would, imo, be the best way to do it.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I hope we keep battalions for the sake of small power ups (as in, the abilities given), but remove the drop benefit, the CP benefit, and the artifact benefit (have a different way to get them). Battaltions are cool for making more out of a unit, giving them a small boost, but all of the extra stuff piled on top of them leaves some haves and have nots. Many take battalions not for the abilities but more for the single drop to dictate the initial flow of battle; armies with rubbish or unwieldy battalions lose out on first turn priority.

Making battalions about 60-70pts cheaper and remove all benefits besides the written unique benefit would, imo, be the best way to do it.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I think that battalions exist to help sell certain models in the range. But I think overall, it hurts the diversity of armies and causes a lot more homogeny within list building.
I am particularly not a fan that battalions allow for additional artifacts for heroes... heroes that are not necessarily part of the battalions. It just feels like a random  additional benefit whereas dropping a battalion together makes at least some thematic sense. I just wish that battalions were either more inclusive like in BoC or were less compulsory for rules detached from the battalion itself.  

• Like 2

Removing all battalions is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. For every change host-level problem battalion, there are multiple ones that make a faction or playstyle actually playable. For example, anyone wanting to run a squig list in gloomspite is looking to run at least a Stampede, just to make it so their squigs can competently function. Itd be far easier to use the edition change to address the few true issues, than get rid of them entirely. Alternatively, keep the battalion rules, but remove the extra bonuses like an extra CP, artifact, or lower drop manipulation. There are a lot of ways to fix this perceived issue beyond just throwing them out altogether, and I really hope this isn't the direction GW takes.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Oh my Old Ones!!! That is a glorious glow up on an already fantastic model... 😮  

Is this alt build a regular Slann?
vgCsgWjcHfAodWny.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

I’d like to go back to WHFB style where artifacts cost points, and just keep the limit that no character can have more than 1. Some artifacts NEVER see use because they all cost the same, but if they had different costs from each other, it could cause a nice shift (ex: run and charge artifact is worth way more than “one use only” anything artifact). Currently everything has an equal, identical cost: first is free, second (or more) cost battalions. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Oh my Old Ones!!! That is a glorious glow up on an already fantastic model... 😮  

Is this alt build a regular Slann?
vgCsgWjcHfAodWny.jpg

It’s him without the death mask. 

I love it so much. If we were getting updated Saurus and Skinks, I’d start Seraphon in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I’d like to go back to WHFB style where artifacts cost points, and just keep the limit that no character can have more than 1. Some artifacts NEVER see use because they all cost the same, but if they had different costs from each other, it could cause a nice shift (ex: run and charge artifact is worth way more than “one use only” anything artifact). Currently everything has an equal, identical cost: first is free, second (or more) cost battalions. 

Even back in the WHFB days there were enough artifacts that were never used.

Cost and like isn't the problem with the non-picked afterfacts. Those simply aren't good enough to be picked.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Even back in the WHFB days there were enough artifacts that were never used.

Cost and like isn't the problem with the non-picked afterfacts. Those simply aren't good enough to be picked.

But you never saw a character without any artifacts - yeah, some were never used, but if you had a choice of 30+ items per faction, no one could've possibly have enough heroes for all that. If we had item costs , but with similar choice we have now, a lot of rarely used ones would see play.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I'm utterly speechless. 

You've just announced Be'Lakor GW what arr you doin. Please, my wallet won't survive. 

I'm tellin ya, if they release updated Saurus Warriors, I'll, I'll buy a lot.

This! if they have a refresh of the older kits in the range, then it's going to be too tempting to start a Serephon force.

• LOVE IT! 1