The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, xking said:

No it's not, AoS Is Mythic fantasy, Epic Fantasy and Heroic fantasy.  With a splash of high and low fantasy. Unless you are some chaotic evil dwarf corrupted by the abyss.  Nobody is burning down entire villages Because a noble was short one coin on his payment.  

Marauders raiding a village to steal money, supplies and slaves makes sense. Orderly Dawrfs doing it  because of a coin short  on payment  does not. 

Says who? The realms are vast. Don't impose your limited scope of ideas on a setting not your own.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I've consulted the entrails, looked at blood spatter pattens and these are my predictions for the next few weeks*.

10th April - ad mech codex on pre order. 

17th April  - underworld vamps and other boxed game stuff on pre order

24th April - broken realms Belakor on preorder

1st May - something for 40k

8th May - Soulblight gravelords on preorder

*I had no entrails to hand so used links of sausages instead and no blood so had to make do with water mixed with red food colouring. 

• Haha 3

@Chikout

I think that rumor pic does indeed belong to a fell bat. To me it looks like it's this one on the left. if you swiveled the model around, the anatomy matches up and looks like it would align to where its foot is on the ruins. 

I very well could be wrong though. 

20210330_232109.jpg.6c3bd9dd4ab287ce8818c8201e004a63.jpg

2020-12-22.png.2eb809572227e5aae77fbafe7e761b50.png.08e50be09768d7a242b21b1e78ed90a7.png

@novakai

To me the top rumor pic with the hand and sword gives off serious Flesheater vibes. 

The other I have no idea. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xking said:

No it's not, AoS Is Mythic fantasy, Epic Fantasy and Heroic fantasy.  With a splash of high and low fantasy. Unless you are some chaotic evil dwarf corrupted by the abyss.  Nobody is burning down entire villages Because a noble was short one coin on his payment.  

Marauders raiding a village to steal money, supplies and slaves makes sense. Orderly Dawrfs doing it  because of a coin short  on payment  does not. 

In Order, we have Idoneth raiding coastal villages to use their souls, Daughters of Khaine that would do that just for the murder and even Kharadron would "Always take what you are owed". I also wouldn't short-change Fyreslayers. Order doesn't mean nice.

If your village doesn't have a name, it's bound to be raided, razed, burned and otherwise bothered by just about anyone.

It would not be out of the question for other dwarves to be similarely miffed when cheated out of their rightful pay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I remember solid rumors that predict cursed city on preorder 3rd of april , said also Belakor on 17th of april.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Says who? The realms are vast. Don't impose your limited scope of ideas on a setting not your own.

I actually read the lore and novels of AoS, And it does NOT make sense for dispossessed to just burn down villages when they could just go to any one  of the legal bodies in a cities of Sigmar. Not only that, they tend to always have a seat on the grand conclave.  

I have a quick question - back before 2nd edition's release, did the two starter set factions have any rumour engines? I just can't remember as I wasn't that much into AoS back then, and if yes, all the numerous rough looking weapons could be from one side of the starter (if they're not in fact a part of Gravelords, which is my main theory)

19 minutes ago, xking said:

I actually read the lore and novels of AoS, And it does NOT make sense for dispossessed to just burn down villages when they could just go to any one  of the legal bodies in a cities of Sigmar. Not only that, they tend to always have a seat on the grand conclave.  

I agree for the Disposessed.

Not for other dwarves we currently have (unsure about Ironweld, but you'd better pay your Fyreslayer mercenaries or the Kharadron the last copper piece you agreed on).

And certainly not a limitation for any future dwarven faction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

In Order, we have Idoneth raiding coastal villages to use their souls, Daughters of Khaine that would do that just for the murder and even Kharadron would "Always take what you are owed". I also wouldn't short-change Fyreslayers. Order doesn't mean nice.

If your village doesn't have a name, it's bound to be raided, razed, burned and otherwise bothered by just about anyone.

It would not be out of the question for other dwarves to be similarely miffed when cheated out of their rightful pay.

I know order does not mean nice. when I said dwarfs, I meant dispossessed(sense this argument came out of old world dwarf talk, I am sorry for the confusion) .   It is not that someone burned the village down that is the problem,   It's why and who  burned the village down , the dispossessed live in or build there strongholds around the cities of Sigmar.  They almost always have a seat on the grand conclave, as the CoS are meritocracy.  They could  just say that they were shorted and get compensated. 

Edited by xking

32 minutes ago, xking said:

I know order does not mean nice. when I said dwarfs, I meant dispossessed(sense this argument came out of old world dwarf talk, I am sorry for the confusion) .   It is not that someone burned the village down that is the problem,   It's why and who  burned the village down , the dispossessed live in or build there strongholds around the cities of Sigmar.  They almost always have a seat on the grand conclave, as the CoS are meritocracy.  They could  just say that they were shorted and get compensated. 

I now clicked back long enough to see that this was about Disposessed.

The rest of the way Duardin or dwarf was used, so I lost track of that.

Disposessed had a battle trait Grudgebound, a command trait Grudgebearer and an artifact Grudge rune in the 2019 GHB. I'd say grudges are still part of their being.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I've consulted the entrails, looked at blood spatter pattens and these are my predictions for the next few weeks*.

10th April - ad mech codex on pre order. 

1st May - something for 40k

8th May - Soulblight gravelords on preorder

*I had no entrails to hand so used links of sausages instead and no blood so had to make do with water mixed with red food colouring. 

10th April - ad mech codex + Blood Bowl Spike + Blood Bowl Death Zone. 

17th April  - broken realms Belakor + Kroak + Gardus + Nighthaunt Hero

24th April - underworld vamps + Soulblight Gravelords

1st May - Sister of Battle

5 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

10th April - ad mech codex + Blood Bowl Spike + Blood Bowl Death Zone. 

17th April  - broken realms Belakor + Kroak + Gardus + Nighthaunt Hero

24th April - underworld vamps + Soulblight Gravelords

1st May - Sister of Battle

Is this based on anything or further blood rituals and scrying?

2 hours ago, xking said:

If it was an Aelf, I’m sure they’d have no problem burning down the village, even if the aelves actually paid them - the coins are probably tainted by the horrible smell of aelf hands or something 

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I now clicked back long enough to see that this was about Disposessed.

The rest of the way Duardin or dwarf was used, so I lost track of that.

Disposessed had a battle trait Grudgebound, a command trait Grudgebearer and an artifact Grudge rune in the 2019 GHB. I'd say grudges are still part of their being.

I know the dispossessed  have grudges. What I'm saying is they have better ways of resolving a grudge then the drawfs of the old world when it comes to the cities of Sigmar. The dispossessed are far more cosmopolitan, They have lived with the other races for centuries now.  Grombrindal even chastises the dispossessed that tried  To make an ethno-state In this month's white dwarf. 

They could just go to a legal body in the city  of sigmar to resolve any issues they had with compensation or an offense to their honor. Before trying to burn down a bond settlement of a city.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

If it was an Aelf, I’m sure they’d have no problem burning down the village, even if the aelves actually paid them - the coins are probably tainted by the horrible smell of aelf hands or something 

I mean the lumineth were trapped inside slannesh for eons. Who knows if they have some corruption in them or not. 

29 minutes ago, xking said:

Grombrindal even chastises the dispossessed that tried  To make an ethno-state In this month's white dwarf. 

That fundamentally shows that there are Dispossessed who would take a harder non-cosmopolitan line and break from Sigmar's vision, even if they're a distinct minority. 

It's also very clear that the Free Cities aren't all perfect orderly places free from political manoeuvring and internal tensions. It's easy to imagine a particularly hot-headed or embittered clan or enclave not accepting the judgement of a Free City's leadership. Maybe that leadership is genuinely biased against them or unwilling to hear their claims, maybe these particular Dispossessed are sufficiently embittered that they don't accept its perfectly fair judgement. Either way, maybe they decide to break away and exact (what they call) old fashioned duardin vengeance on a settlement that they believe wronged them. Maybe it's coloured by ethnic tensions, maybe that's just a surface level gloss on a deeper political rift within the city's Dispossessed clans, some of whom support these guys ("A grudge is a grudge, it's the Council's fault for letting it get this far..."), some of whom vocally don't ("Foolish wazzocks, the law is the law...").

And then maybe the Free City censures this clan and you get small-scale civil war. Maybe a Stormhost decides to intervene and bang heads together, so it sputters out as a minor forgotten episode in the city's history and everyone gets on with their lives. Maybe this disunity festers and weakens the city, becoming a factor in the city's destruction. Maybe that all becomes a grim parable Grombrindal relates to some other dwarves centuries on. There's lots of ways it could be taken. There's no sense in being ultra-prescriptive about factions only ever acting in a particular narrow manner.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

That fundamentally shows that there are Dispossessed who would take a harder non-cosmopolitan line and break from Sigmar's vision, even if they're a distinct minority. 

It's also very clear that the Free Cities aren't all perfect orderly places free from political manoeuvring and internal tensions. It's easy to imagine a particularly hot-headed or embittered clan or enclave not accepting the judgement of a Free City's leadership. Maybe that leadership is genuinely biased against them or unwilling to hear their claims, maybe these particular Dispossessed are sufficiently embittered that they don't accept its perfectly fair judgement. Either way, maybe they decide to break away and exact (what they call) old fashioned duardin vengeance on a settlement that they believe wronged them. Maybe it's coloured by ethnic tensions, maybe that's just a surface level gloss on a deeper political rift within the city's Dispossessed clans, some of whom support these guys, some of whom vocally don't.

And then maybe the Free City censures this clan and you get small-scale civil war. Maybe a Stormhost decides to intervene and bang heads together, so it sputters out as a minor forgotten episode in the city's history and everyone gets on with their lives. Maybe this disunity festers and weakens the city, becoming a factor in the city's destruction. Maybe that all becomes a grim parable Grombrindal relates to some other dwarves centuries on. There's lots of ways it could be taken. There's no sense in being ultra-prescriptive about factions only ever acting in a particular narrow manner.

Fine, do what you want. I think Dispossessed burning down a settlement over one coin is dumb sh*t.  So agree to disagree.

It's not about personal preference - personally I don't even think that's necessarily the most interesting angle to take with dwarves in CoS - it's that coming in here with a firm "faction X could never act that way" attitude is a deeply limited way of thinking about the background and, to my mind, a complete abrogation of the imagination and rejection of the interpretative freedom deliberately built into AoS, i.e. the 'Your Dudes' principle.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

14 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It's not about personal preference - personally I don't even think that's necessarily the most interesting angle to take with dwarves in CoS - it's that coming in here with a firm "dwarves could never act that way" attitude is a deeply limited way of thinking about the background and, to my mind, a complete abrogation of the imagination and rejection of the interpretative freedom deliberately built into AoS, i.e. the 'Your Dudes' principle.

My khorne deamons are pacifist and like picking daisies and frolicking through all the flowers. They love building hospitals and being nice to all the little children.  

I agree

Edited by xking
  • Like 1

Sorry you've got such a limited imagination and poor understanding of the background I guess. Being incapable of understanding the difference between relatively fixed aspects of AoS and the space for imagination - do you believe that dwarves are literally all clones and share the exact same personalities, attitudes, beliefs, desires? - is a sorry way to be.

Edited by sandlemad