The Rumour Thread

It is a weird rumour. Overwatch was already nerfed in 40k quite a lot. I don´t get how it shall improve AoS 3.0, especially as there are tons of factions who don´t have more than a single ranged unit (BoK, many Death factions, Ironjaws etc). Also it breaks some game logic for Artillery Units in my opinion. Let us see what GW has planned there.

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 1

I would be ok with a once per phase command ability to fallback 3 inches at the end of the charge phase. This way the charging unit can still pile in since they charged, they just might not get as many models in.

Overwatch should be kept as it currently is, restricted to a few warscrolls.

• Like 1

How would people feel about the overwatch rules if they came with the stipulation of not shooting in combat? 

Also, reaction points sound cool but I'm worried that they could create a divide between AoS 2 and AoS 3 battletomes if AoS 3 battletomes have more ways to get them.

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

How would people feel about the overwatch rules if they came with the stipulation of not shooting in combat? 

Also, reaction points sound cool but I'm worried that they could create a divide between AoS 2 and AoS 3 battletomes if AoS 3 battletomes have more ways to get them.

If there was no shooting in combat and / or no shooting into combat AND there were good new Look out Sir rules, then I would be ok with the overwatch thing. If it still made sense that is. I am open to it at the end of the day. 

The extent to which reaction points will affect battletomes is dependent on if they are connected to command points or not. i.e. if you spend CP to use them, or if they're their own points currency to spend. If its the latter, then perhaps it'll be like 40k where you get x amount of points dependent on game size. If it's the former then...well all I will say is Seraphon :D 

Overwatch is one of those things that sort of makes logical sense 'why wouldn't they just shoot at whoever charges then?' but generally winds up being pretty terrible as a game mechanic (in massed army games anyway, I don't generally mind it so much on a skirmish level.)  In 40k it basically boiled down to get a second shooting phase in your opponent's turn or roll a bunch of dice to no effect depending on what your army was.  Its slowed the game down considerably and was generally just kind of annoying, which I assume is why they moved it to a more limited tactic in the new edition.

I feel like shooting's already on a bit of a knife edge in AoS and just throwing in stuff like overwatch and free retreats seems like dicey ground, but trying to pick over scraps of spurious rumour only goes so far I suppose.

25 minutes ago, Enoby said:

It depends. KOs, for example:

• Special Weapons Thunderers need a rework.
  • Grundstock Thunderers (aethershot rifles) and Arkanaut Company will be awesome.
  • Anything that could block enemy charges will gain a free ranged attack (mainly Endrinriggers/skywardens, but Arkanauts waiting in an objective too).

But all this changes will favor a gameplay that I'm not sure that I'm happy with:

1. More alpha strikes will be recomended (hit first, hit hard), and if the enemy survive, you will have another round in their movement phase.
  2. Fly High will be godsend (I know ,I know, don't trust superstitions) to remove units from engagement range and still continue shooting in later turns.
  3. If you can't work around that, you insta-lose (because we only have an small amount of good melee units, and are perfectly controlable for the enemy after the second game).
Edited by Beliman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ragest said:

There is a leak saying that cursed city will be on preorder the 3rd April and belakor the 17th, so everything can be sooner than expected

Cursed City was announced on January 23rd, so if it goes up for preorder on April 3rd, that's fairly close to the two month turnaround from announcement to release we have been seeing recently. I think that is pretty believable. It makes sense to push out Cursed City soon after BR: Teclis.

BR: Belakor was revealed February 28th. That would mean about a one and a half month turnaround. If this rumour turns out to be true, I think that would be evidence that GW is trying to wrap up the Broken Realms storyline quickly before the end of their fiscal year. That would support the idea that AoS 3 is coming in summer, as GW usually times their new editions to the start of their fiscal year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Maybe OK? Hard to say because as always whole play environment needs to be taken into account, f.e.x rumor mentions resource needed to activate overwatch.

Cursed City is close and with the number of units in it that are clearly jumping into Vampires it wouldn't surprise me if we saw Vampires this side of the mid year. I think GW is clearly cramming in as much AoS as they can probably whilst 40K is having a less model heavy update. Heck I think the only army people want to see get a big load of attention in 40K right now is Eldar. Certainly when the subject comes up Eldar are almost the number one thing everyone talks about needing an update - Kroot and any possible Tau increase of other Xenos follows and Imperial Guard are using a lot of older sculpts that could do with a face lift, but they've also had more steady stuff drip fed into them over the years (though things like Catachans still stand out as very old plastics/sculpts). 

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Cursed City is close and with the number of units in it that are clearly jumping into Vampires it wouldn't surprise me if we saw Vampires this side of the mid year. I think GW is clearly cramming in as much AoS as they can probably whilst 40K is having a less model heavy update. Heck I think the only army people want to see get a big load of attention in 40K right now is Eldar. Certainly when the subject comes up Eldar are almost the number one thing everyone talks about needing an update - Kroot and any possible Tau increase of other Xenos follows and Imperial Guard are using a lot of older sculpts that could do with a face lift, but they've also had more steady stuff drip fed into them over the years (though things like Catachans still stand out as very old plastics/sculpts). 

They already have uploaded 3 painting guides for Cursed City, so release can't be really that far.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Are pre-orders for a 1-week or 2-week turnaround?

Seems like we returned to releasing every week, so one week to announce next preorder, the next to perorder items and the next to receive those items or being avaliable on stores.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ragest said:

There is a leak saying that cursed city will be on preorder the 3rd April and belakor the 17th, so everything can be sooner than expected

I'd love this to be true.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Cursed City was announced on January 23rd, so if it goes up for preorder on April 3rd, that's fairly close to the two month turnaround from announcement to release we have been seeing recently. I think that is pretty believable. It makes sense to push out Cursed City soon after BR: Teclis.

BR: Belakor was revealed February 28th. That would mean about a one and a half month turnaround. If this rumour turns out to be true, I think that would be evidence that GW is trying to wrap up the Broken Realms storyline quickly before the end of their fiscal year. That would support the idea that AoS 3 is coming in summer, as GW usually times their new editions to the start of their fiscal year.

Its Psychic Awkening all over again and I am here for it. 

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ragest said:

Sounds good and pretty likely- announced this Sunday then

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Definitely looks that way, they did the same with 40k last year even though some folks expected it to be delayed due to Corona. 

8 hours ago, novakai said:

to add to the Grimdark live rumor that  AoS 3.0 is going to have Indomitus style boxes with Stormcast vs. an unnamed Destruction army (though that is a general speculation that the community has been predicting would happen)

I would be very interested to see an AoS version of Indomitus- love to see what they will do to expand and rework the destruction factions and what might follow- war machines/ a small giant/big troggoth as part fo the set.. 

Stormcast- I'd prefer a CoS force with Stormcast but they could rework the earlier kits of Stormcast as I think their design approach to Stormcast has gotten much more interesting as AoS has gone on. But Freeguild, Knights of Sigmar etc would be excellent and could add in non human elements of cities too like a dwarf weapon team or aelf rangers..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

My fingers are crossed for July to be true. The Age of Nagash is over, the time of GorkaMorka has come!!

We could see the editions of AoS in this light.

• Age of Sigmar orders stuff into big alliances
  • Age of Nagash kills off lots of existing kits and warscrolls
  • Age of Gorkamorka breaks the grand alliances and probably some other stuff
  • Age of ehh, someone in Chaos does stuff in the far future of 2024-2028
  • Like 1

I still think that the new starter will have more updated sculpts than new models on the Stormcast side. It's a great opportunity to update the warrior chamber (Liberators, Judicators) to include woman Stormies. Sprinkle this with a few new tools and I think this is what we'll see. 

Part of me hopes that the destro side is NOT Orruks as  the track record of starter armies is not so great in AoS and more of a mixed destro faction. This would also be a great opportunity to update some sculpts. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know where the April 3rd rumour came from? It wouldn't be particularly surprising except that gw don't usually like to have two windows in a row feature the same system. 

Looking at what we have coming out I could see a release schedule that looks like this. 

Preorders:

April 3rd cursed city.   

April 10th Titanicus and underworlds. 

April 17th admech.

April 24th Be'lakor.

May 1st Necromunda and underworlds. 

May 8th sisters of battle.

May 15th Soulblight maybe 2 weeks.

May 29th orks maybe 2 weeks.

June broken realms 4

July AoS 3

Edited by Chikout

Could the theory of a new Orruk release as part of AoS 3.0 be in jeopardy considering 40k are about to get a pretty substantial Ork update? I feel like new destruction might be something different. Ogres/Ogroids or a new race entirely perhaps. 

An outside chance could be that the Beast Snagga’s come with dual options for 40k and AoS maybe... 

14 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

Could the theory of a new Orruk release as part of AoS 3.0 be in jeopardy considering 40k are about to get a pretty substantial Ork update? I feel like new destruction might be something different. Ogres/Ogroids or a new race entirely perhaps. 

An outside chance could be that the Beast Snagga’s come with dual options for 40k and AoS maybe... 

Could be the opposite- they could have a "Green Summer" or "Summer of Orks". I think the greenskins are in need of an update- the way they did with Necrons n 40k. They've only had the IronJaw and Gits releases which is really small. The Bonesplittas are from WFB - they could do with more variety of poses for starters, they could bring back Wolf Riders and other clans and expand the Destruction faction of the back of that. Orcs are iconic and their model range for AoS is much reduced, they need updating and added to. [I'm not a greenskin player/collector btw]. I could definitely see them doing new types of Ogres  due to the narrative of Cursed City but I reckon the Green lads will be front and centre for the launch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/24/when-nagash-comes-knocking-theres-no-better-bodyguard-than-a-vanari-bladelord/

New rules for Lumineth.

I like that we have another auto-hit weapon and it seems to have low dmg overall?
Being sunmetal weapons, I expect to see a 6+ mw (5+ with power-up).

Yeah, they might have Power of Hysh but it would only work for the flurry attack, because no hit rolls for the auto-one (hence maybe the -2). It’s not the full scroll. Range 2 is good, but at the moment they might struggle to be taken over Warden or other options. Again very flavorful abilities though. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, silverstu said:

I would be very interested to see an AoS version of Indomitus- love to see what they will do to expand and rework the destruction factions and what might follow- war machines/ a small giant/big troggoth as part fo the set.. 

i think the big thing like 40K is that it will include terrain and a playmat in the starter set (depending on which edition box you buy)

22 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

Orruk is probably the safest bet atm that why most people are thinking its them, i know the podcast where floating other possibility of it being a pure brand new army like Grotbag scuttler and Silent people