The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Despite the presence of gryph-hounds and gryph-chargers, griffon imagery isn’t all that common as armorial detail on stormcast (instead they have lions dragons bears oh my), probably because GW wanted to reduce the obvious similarities to space marines, with their eagles everywhere.

Towards 8th edition griffon imagery did become a more prominent feature in Empire art though so in a sense there’s room for that to be pulled in for new Freeguild models. Still Sigmarite, still Azyr-associated in part, but distinct from the Stormcast.

Based on this post I went back to look at Stormcast to look for bird motifs and they exist primarily only on a scant few helmets and one shoulder pauldron. The Helmets of raptors and the helmet and shoulder of the Knight-Venator were the only instances I saw upon my cursory search.

So I totally agree that the eagle/gryphon look could easily become the aesthetic of a Devouted/Knights of Azyr faction. It is largely absent from Stormcast and has deep ties to the history of human factions in Fantasy and is underrepresented in current models iconography. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Great catch... I hope you are right because it is a really cool looking emblem and could lead to a wonderful army theme. But on the other hand you are giving me hope and hope is a dangerous game in terms of upcoming releases. 

Birds are actually taken! As is hope! What is this hogwash I'm hearing all about? Non-Tzeentchians should get their own shtick! *bird-rage....serious, serious BIRD-RAGE*

Next thing I'll see is that there will be Bird-Aelves for Lumineth. Or Nurgle-birds! Oh dear god Tzeentch. 😱. *

*I can be appeased with a nice dragon though... they shall get birds then. 😈

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Birds are actually taken! As is hope! What is this hogwash I'm hearing all about? Non-Tzeentchians should get their own shtick! *bird-rage....serious, serious BIRD-RAGE*

Next thing I'll see is that there will be Bird-Aelves for Lumineth. Or Nurgle-birds! Oh dear god Tzeentch. 😱. *

*I can be appeased with a nice dragon though... they shall get birds then. 😈

Oh, I think we all know that Eagles and Bird heads are just further evidence of Sigmarite appropriation... all the more reason to have this new release occur so that we can teach them the true meaning of the word *SQUAWK*!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Oh, I think we all know that Eagles and Bird heads are just further evidence of Sigmarite appropriation... all the more reason to have this new release occur so that we can teach them the true meaning of the word *SQUAWK*!!!

Ah, but who's to say those birds aren't there for a reason eh? Perhaps everything is as it should be. All in accordance to some form of scheme, even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Varghulf, a Vargskyr, a Vargheist, a Crypt Flayer, an Abhorrent Arch-Regent and a Vampire?

I'm not familiar with the Flesh-Eater lore and have always been confused by how they differ from the other devolved vampires, and what the differences are between all the different devolved vampires (and why we need so many)?

Edit — So happy the Cursed City stuff can all be used in regular AoS, too!

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think a Vargskyr may be their newer trademarkable feral vampire, atleast by name. There are plenty of third party varghulf equivalents around and from the article they are basically the same thing. It might just remain as a wingless, seemingly more of a wolf than a bat type variation. The varghulf has wings and flys so they would never be the same ruleswise. 

There are still rumours around that FEC might be getting squatted/merged into soulblight. 

Edited by Svalack

9 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Varghulf, a Vargskyr, a Vargheist, a Crypt Flayer, an Abhorrent Arch-Regent and a Vampire?

I'm not familiar with the Flesh-Eater lore and have always been confused by how they differ from the other devolved vampires, and what the differences are between all the different devolved vampires (and why we need so many)?

Really the main difference of FeC is that they're delusional and think they are nobility. Where as things like Vargskyr's & Vargheists are more bestial Vampires that have been deprived of feasting and turned into a "beast" so-to-speak. I don't think they have any delusions of what they are, just more of a feral animal that hungers.

8 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Vampires are vampires. Basically the great overview. Soulblight are a subset of vampires, and are the classical vampires. (See Manfred & Neferata)

Abhorrants are vampires that are caught in a delusion. They see themselves as noble mortals with grand courts despite being bestial and ruling over ruins.

Crypt Flayers and Varghulfs are mordants (mortal flesh eaters) infected by the Abhorrants madness, and thus not vampires. Both are transformed in flesh-eating rituals into these forms.

Vargheists and Vargskyrs are vampires that have given in to their hunger, and thus devolved into more bestial forms.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

It's basically down to changes between WHFB and AoS, with some of these reusing the concepts that others used to have and a lot of confusing mix and match with the var-prefix and the ghulf/gheist/ghul suffixes. There are differences but they're hitting on the same broad set of ideas.

Vampires - any and all people (usually human?) who have been afflicted by the Soulblight curse, drink blood, live forever, etc. Same as in WHFB, basically.

Abhorrents - a particular lineage of vampires descended from the Carrion King. Deluded monsters who think themselves noble knights and whose madness warps reality and infects those around them. Arch-Regents and Ghoul Kings are basically just different ranks (in WHFB they used to be the Strigoi bloodline of vampires, associated with ghouls)

Vargheist - your classic devolved vampires who haven't had blood in a while. Sometimes this just happens, sometimes it's a particular punishment given out by greater vampire lords, sometimes it's a self-sacrifice thing where a vampire willingly turns itself into a monster so it can serve its master as a bestial champion. (In WHFB, Vargheists were specifically vampires who had been locked up and mutated by warpstone-tainted water as a form of punishment by the Von Carsteins, and then used as shock troops)

Crypt Flayer - mordants, i.e. ghouls, who have been permitted to drink the blood of Abhorrant vampires as well as eating terrorgheist/dragon flesh (these dudes didn't exist in WHFB but Crypt Horrors were and are ghouls who drank vampire blood, and Crypt Flayers develop that idea a bit further)

Varghulf - not actually a vampire in AoS. Instead the most favoured of mordants, i.e. ghouls, that have been warped by absorbing the dark magic used by the Abhorrant vampires. They're monstrous but can think and often lead FEC forces when vampires aren't around  (In WHFB a Varghulf was basically the end result of any vampire that truly gave into its bestial urges. They were a monster introduced in 7th edition and then the Vargheists were the slightly smaller ogre-sized unit introduced in 8th edition.)

Vargskyr - probably a replacement for or reboot of the old WHFB Varghulf concept: the ultimate form of a vampire that gives into its bloodlust and becomes a monster... or a bigger monster. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Svalack said:

There are still rumours around that FEC might be getting squatted/merged into soulblight. 

Seems very unlikely to me. FEC in lore and rules have diverged a lot from the Soulblight/Legions of Nagash (Ghouls aren't even undead, lorewise!). FEC is also decently popular (In a recent poll by SirSalabean they were more popular than Khorne & Nurgle for example). Soulblight also isn't lacking in any models when you take Legions as a base. The addition of the Vargskyr instead of naming it a Varghulf hints more to divergence than unification to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Some minor details on using the Cursed City adventurers and undead bosses in AoS proper: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/19/you-can-use-all-of-the-cursed-city-models-in-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Those rules all seem decent for what they are.

The Vampire Hunter has a weapon that hits on 3s, deals at least one mortal wound and has a chance to kill a model outright. Since he's probably a Cities model, he could easily be hitting on 2s and rerolling.

The Shyish Mage gets a spell that deals 1d3 mortals and debuffs a units movement (-1") for the rest of the game. He can easily get a few bonuses to cast in Cities as well. Probably a decent General's Adjutant.

Not much info on the Gravekeeper, but he has a slightly improved wizard's bonk with his shovel and gets a bodyguard ability similar to the Necromancer. He can apparently summon zombies, as well. How good that will be depends on how Gravelords summoning works. I would assume Legions of Nagash style grave sites and full unit resurrection are unlikely to return.

The Vargskyr gets a 3d6" charge and can charge from 18" inches away. Maybe that means he will be a replacement for the Morghast Harbingers, which can do the same. Hopefully he has something extra to make him worth it, though, because nobody runs Morghasts.

23 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Not much info on the Gravekeeper, but he has a slightly improved wizard's bonk with his shovel and gets a bodyguard ability similar to the Necromancer. He can apparently summon zombies, as well. How good that will be depends on how Gravelords summoning works. I would assume Legions of Nagash style grave sites and full unit resurrection are unlikely to return.

I know this is strange but I really hope that Zombies and Skeletons get different summoning/resurrection mechanics. I am thinking it would be cool if zombies get more models by slaying enemies "turning them into zombies" and obviously from things like corpse carts and other methods of shuttling corpses. Whereas skeletons are raised from the ground maybe reworked grave sites or from a terrain piece? It would give different synergies and allow for different builds or a mix of the two.  If Bloodlines return then maybe some will focus on Skeletons and others Zombies with a generic bloodline that has no buffs or drawbacks for either.

• Like 2

I know this is strange but I really hope that Zombies and Skeletons get different summoning/resurrection mechanics. I am thinking it would be cool if zombies get more models by slaying enemies "turning them into zombies" and obviously from things like corpse carts and other methods of shuttling corpses. Whereas skeletons are raised from the ground maybe reworked grave sites or from a terrain piece? It would give different synergies and allow for different builds or a mix of the two.  If Bloodlines return then maybe some will focus on Skeletons and others Zombies with a generic bloodline that has no buffs or drawbacks for either.

Considering your summoning mechanic for zombies it would be really tough for them against elite or shooting armies. It sounds cool but then imagine zombies with like 5+ hit 5+ wound 1 dmg against Fyreslayers. Not to mention Gargants. You probably won't summon a single rotten zombie against them 

Zombies turning slain enemies into more zombies is so cool it is already part of the warscroll!

Having a Skeleton and Zombie bloodline was something I expected myself. Take Bloodlines as subfactions, have 3-4 focus on Vampires, and then 1-2 on Skeletons & Zombies with little vampire focus for the players who want to play vampireless undead.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Probably all of the heroes will be useless in AoS matched play unless they are 50 points as were heroes from other boxed games except maybe for tzeentch.

Actually GW could make them 50 points or less to make them actually useful just as objective grabbers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Zombies turning slain enemies into more zombies is so cool it is already part of the warscroll!

Having a Skeleton and Zombie bloodline was something I expected myself. Take Bloodlines as subfactions, have 3-4 focus on Vampires, and then 1-2 on Skeletons & Zombies with little vampire focus for the players who want to play vampireless undead.

In theory, if we think about goblins, they could also have a 2+ to wound or hit if there are enough of them in the game.... rules are pretty random. I'll tell you this much: they'll hit harder than Liberators and Chaos Warriors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MitGas said:

In theory, if we think about goblins, they could also have a 2+ to wound or hit if there are enough of them in the game.... rules are pretty random. I'll tell you this much: they'll hit harder than Liberators and Chaos Warriors.

Yup exactly. Or they could be an annoyingly hard to kill unit, somewhat like Plaguebearers. Maybe a 5+ shurg on wounds and mortal wounds. Or they remain dirt cheap speed bumps like they are currently in the game. Heck, right now a unit of 40+ Zombies with a Corpse Cart is hitting on 2s and wounding on 3s, granted it is only 1 attack per model but if they had ways to crank up number of attacks like Khorne without using a CP then it becomes deadly.