The Rumour Thread

Does anyone think that the Human Protagonists of Cursed City are hinting at the eventual release and aesthetic of a Human faction or are they all one offs? Because they have been without a doubt and unexpectedly my favourite models in the set.

cEU1QI81Y8ZLYbBz.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/18/cleona-zeitengale-foresaw-the-cursed-citys-fall-shame-that-everyone-ignored-her/

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

So I'm guessing the theme is going to be  "Preview: X & Y" from now on? I like that, gives us a better idea of what to expect. It does seem like one part is 40k and one part is AOS--however, I think it'd be cool if they got to a point where the titles were teases for both systems. i.e Faith & Damnation could be Sisters and Azyrite mortals, vs Damnation being Traitor Guard (or Drukhari) and Gravelords. etc.

Maybe asking too much of GW but a double parallel would be awesome!

It sounds like the "Faith" is going to be 40k (Sisters of Battle) & Necromunda (Redemptionists) and the "Damnation" is going to be Underworlds (Ossiarch's) and AOS (fingers crossed Gravelords).

Just now, Neverchosen said:

Does anyone think that the Human Protagonists of Cursed City are hinting at the eventual release of a Human faction or are they all one offs? Because they have been without a doubt and unexpectedly my favourite models in the set.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/18/cleona-zeitengale-foresaw-the-cursed-citys-fall-shame-that-everyone-ignored-her/

I hope so, we really could do with some Sigmar forces that weren't Stormcast, but at the same time, none of the Blackstone fortress traitor guard or beastmen models were never expanded on.

Although, who knows? We may get an Cult of the Comet and Traitor Guardsmen units in the future. Silver Tower heralded new Tzeentch units.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, MarkK said:

I hope so, we really could do with some Sigmar forces that weren't Stormcast, but at the same time, none of the Blackstone fortress traitor guard or beastmen models were never expanded on.

Although, who knows? We may get an Cult of the Comet and Traitor Guardsmen units in the future. Silver Tower heralded new Tzeentch units.

Silver tower also had a human, who has since been dumped.

I really hope we get new humans. Blood Bowl, Cursed City and Necromunda make it clear GW has designers who can make art with humans!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Does anyone think that the Human Protagonists of Cursed City are hinting at the eventual release and aesthetic of a Human faction or are they all one offs? Because they have been without a doubt and unexpectedly my favourite models in the set.

I think Azyrite mortals is very likely, even if they're within the Stormcasts' Ruination Chamber. It depends on how far GW wants to take COS into specific realm aesthetics. Maybe they'll do a simple Azyrite/Reclaimed difference then let us figure out how to apply that to each realm?

9 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

It sounds like the "Faith" is going to be 40k (Sisters of Battle) & Necromunda (Redemptionists) and the "Damnation" is going to be Underworlds (Ossiarch's) and AOS (fingers crossed Gravelords).

oh good point! so maybe that isn't so far-fetched since they're already doubling up 😅

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Cawdor fans probably bought at least two: one for their gang, the rest for conversions.

Definitely, but I've seen lots pop up in CoS armies as well as a large number in Ad Mech armies and Mordheim warbands. They don't have an aesthetic tied to Necromunda or Sci-fi, and could be used almost anywhere. I just hope we get a unit for AoS/CoS that is similarly easily converted to either low or high tech, so we can represent Greywater Fastness or the Living City from one kit.

54 minutes ago, MarkK said:

I wonder how many Cawdor kits were actually used for Necromunda? 😁

I'm sure someone used them for a Chaos cultist conversion in Necromunda since House of Ruin came out.

There are also quite a few Kharadron that are squats in a Venerator band. Thundrik's is quite popular for that.

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

cEU1QI81Y8ZLYbBz.jpg

After seeing the Knight of Azyr I sure hope so!! Perhaps they could even combine elements of FB Empire and Bretonnian and pour in the AOS spices.

So we could have Amoured Azyr Knights and Rifle bearing Ironweld alongside knights riding actual horses with various cannons and war machines with Freeguild soldiers as a dual kit. And did someone say Cog Fort?

• LOVE IT! 1

Instead of a German renaissance steampunk theme like the Empire, they should try something different for AoS humans.

Maybe like a more medieval Francophone thing, based on old romances and chansons and Arthurian legend. Lots of fae magic and cavalry charges and oath swearing and so on. Intricate heraldry, big helm crests. A hobbyists dream.

Perhaps give them some sort of female figurehead who determines political and martial primacy through the nautical distribution of various bladed implements?

For weird AoS factor, give them crazy flying cavalry. Horses mixed with eagles and lions and so on. Wings and hooves and beaks. 

To emphasize their dedicated training, maybe some sort of rule to represent their ability to maintain formation during charge?

Grimdark it up with ratty little peasant followers who carry around relics of revered Stormcast or something, I dunno, who cares they're peasants.

Would be cool, I think. A new twist, you know?

Edited by Deepkin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 25
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I'd love to know how they painted the flagstones on Cleona's base, it's an excellent grey-green. I also wish they'd make a whole line of bases like that - they'd be more widely applicable than the shattered dominion set, great for all kinds of things.

I hope the Cursed City heroes are omens of things to come for human models, because freeguild that share design aesthetics with Emelda and Glaurio would be incredible.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I'd love to know how they painted the flagstones on Cleona's base, it's an excellent grey-green. I also wish they'd make a whole line of bases like that - they'd be more widely applicable than the shattered dominion set, great for all kinds of things.

I hope the Cursed City heroes are omens of things to come for human models, because freeguild that share design aesthetics with Emelda and Glaurio would be incredible.

I obviously don't know the colors they've used but you can get a VERY similar result if you just paint it grey, shade it (with e.g. Nuln Oil) and drybrush it with a white or off-white.... then take lahmian medium and a green you fancy (the one they've used in that pic above borders on a yellowish/olive green) and do a 50/50 mix out of those and put it all over the stone.... finally, when that is dry, drybrush the outer edges again with a beige color. Done. 

Edit: On the woman with the sword the color of the stone actually needs a coat of lahmian medium and a more blueish green after the first one. Could be down to the light. With this being Eavy Metal and all, I actually think they'd go for a warmer green/lahmian green wash all over and then use an even more transparent turquoise coat in the recesses though....

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

cEU1QI81Y8ZLYbBz.jpg

I appreciated this image because it shows off the eagle pauldron, which bares a striking resemblance to a similar item on another human model . . .

emelda-braskov-819x1024.png.62bd29d3494ad36e773accf5e80c64f6.png

Perchance we have happened upon a theme?

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I appreciated this image because it shows off the eagle pauldron, which bares a striking resemblance to a similar item on another human model . . .

emelda-braskov-819x1024.png.62bd29d3494ad36e773accf5e80c64f6.png

Perchance we have happened upon a theme?

Great catch... I hope you are right because it is a really cool looking emblem and could lead to a wonderful army theme. But on the other hand you are giving me hope and hope is a dangerous game in terms of upcoming releases. 

• Like 2

@LuminethMage, I just realized that you had to switch to each of the different language sites to compile that image.

12 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Great catch... I hope you are right because it is a really cool looking emblem and could lead to a wonderful army theme. But on the other hand you are giving me hope and hope is a dangerous game in terms of upcoming releases. 

And yet, I shall go a step further . . .

Not only do both models feature the twin-tailed comet imagery as talismans, clasps, decoration, and heraldry across their garb (which is distinct from anything that Stormcast wear), but if you flip the pauldron on the priestess's shoulder upside-down, it has the same shape and profile as the knight's pauldron that you can see peeking out from beneath the eagle head.

None of this is conclusive, but it sure is extremely suggestive.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

@LuminethMage, I just realized that you had to switch to each of the different language sites to compile that image.

And yet, I shall go a step further . . .

Not only do both models feature the twin-tailed comet imagery as talismans, clasps, decoration, and heraldry across their garb (which is distinct from anything that Stormcast wear), but if you flip the pauldron on the priestess's shoulder upside-down, it has the same shape and profile as the knight's pauldron that you can see peeking out from beneath the eagle head.

None of this is conclusive, but it sure is extremely suggestive.

I might come across as that crazy, but no, you can see it altogether if you change the setting to "delivery to rest of the world", which is my standard setting by chance : )

And more importantly - is this an eagles head or a gryph hound? ^^ 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

The eventual faction could also be combined with demi-gryph knights, perhaps have some hammer wielding riders too? (I know hammers are present in SCE, but if they're followers of the comet and sigmar, hammers would absolutely be thematic... And also perhaps the white wolves of middenheim?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Despite the presence of gryph-hounds and gryph-chargers, griffon imagery isn’t all that common as armorial detail on stormcast (instead they have lions dragons bears oh my), probably because GW wanted to reduce the obvious similarities to space marines, with their eagles everywhere.

Towards 8th edition griffon imagery did become a more prominent feature in Empire art though so in a sense there’s room for that to be pulled in for new Freeguild models. Still Sigmarite, still Azyr-associated in part, but distinct from the Stormcast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Her Belt-buckle looks like this to me:InkedMerkelraute_LI.jpg.3654bedabe2adb873e64e75f5d81d4c8.jpg

XD

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I might come across as that crazy, but no, you can see it altogether if you change the setting to "delivery to rest of the world", which is my standard setting by chance : )

And more importantly - is this an eagles head or a gryph hound? ^^ 

Let's be honest, this hobby can make us all a bit crazy. I'm just happy you're on our side!

And I'm pretty sure it's eagle or hawk, not gryph-hound. I remember them discussing it during the preview.

• Like 1