The Rumour Thread

One thing ya'll are missing about the silhouette - it has distinct moon shapes on it's shoulders.

Now, armies that are known for their association with moon(s) are Lumineth and Gloomspite Gits. I think we can safely cross Lumineth out - they are already getting a lot rather soon, and thr figure looks more evil than what you'd expect from them. That would lead me to believe that it's gloompsite. If I were to guess, a singular hero for them, like Gardus and the new Nighthaunt guy. GGs are further suggested by the urregular, assymetrical look of the crown thingy. It looks rather similar to Skragrott's one. It could be Gravelords - moons are associated with night, and night is the time of vampires, but again, I'd expect a more regular, symmetrical crown.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

2 hours ago, rosa said:

Uhm, nobody wants to talk about that fantastic OBR archer?

I imagine a whole AOS unit in a second wave... Awesome:) 😃😃😃

I would love if after Soulblight Gravelords, GW turns around and starts from the beginning giving Second waves to all the current Factions. Ossiarch Wave 2 could be insane, imagine mixing Mega Gargant bones with those of Leviadons and having gigantic Teenage Mutant Bone Construct Turtles!!

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

And yet poor Fyreslayers and Ironjawz, the first new factions of AoS, continue to get nothing

I truly hope 3.0 is the updating of Destruction and Duardin. I want a MASSIVE overhaul for Fyreslayers with at minimum 3 new troop choices.

Perhaps a throwing Axe wielding unit, a halberd unit and even an armoured unit to break up the sea of skin.

A war machine such as a massive Flame Cannon or a molten rock throwing catapult or an Axe Ballistae.

A Behemoth unit such as, and not to step on any Idoneth toes, a massive Molten Tortoise with Magmapike wielding Hearthguard in the howdah. 

A chariot pulled by smaller Magmadroths and at least 2 named Characters.

For Ironjawz they need a few new blocks of troop choices as well. Standard Orruks and Arrer Boyz need to make a return, even make the Arrer Boys heavily armoured as well to go with the aesthetic but give them more Ranged options.

A Gore Grunta chariot and mounted Gore Grunta hero is also needed.

Give the Ironjawz a new Behemoth model, a plastic Rogue Idol would be perfect and they sorely need Endless Spells. Fists and Feet of Gork are perfect with the feet doubling for the Sons of Behemat. 

Every single Faction needs new AOS heroes and Orruks are no exception. 

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

And yet the skaven, who have existed for eons, still aren’t getting their desperate model update 

Warclans, Mawtribes, Fyreslayers and Skaven. These are what I want to be given their 2.0 waves and in the case of Skaven their 1.0. Update all the Clan specific models and War Machines besides the Doom Wheel and Screaming Bell. Update the Rat Ogors and everything in fine cast. Skaven need a Gloomspite Gitz/ Lumineth Wave 2, Necrons level update. 

The big 4 have had their updates for AOS, the next up for Chaos has to be Skaven it's only fair and being a classic and honestly revered Army throughout the history of GW I believe they are doing its fans a disservice by letting them go so long without an update.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Percivael said:

I’d guess by this “gravely disappointed” pun that we will see a Soulblight Grave Lords reveal.

F5FD9CD5-35D5-442C-B243-AB084E0BD793.jpeg

They better not give a Tzeentch player hope and then not deliver.... Fatemaster, Curseling, Mortal Tzeentchians, come here to Papa! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MitGas said:

They better not give a Tzeentch player hope and then not deliver.... Fatemaster, Curseling, Mortal Tzeentchians, come here to Papa! 

Yeah whilst the Curseling model might hold up quite well, the other resin Tzeentch heroes in particular desperately need new models. Here’s hoping y’all get your due at some point soon.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Yeah whilst the Curseling model might hold up quite well, the other resin Tzeentch heroes in particular desperately need new models. Here’s hoping y’all get your due at some point soon.

Well, both models are nice (I love the Curseling, Fatemaster does look a bit dated and small now but it's not bad per se) but Finecast is just terrible, terrible stuff...pretty sure Nurgle came up with it! And well, Tzeentch doesn't need an update soon... I'm just greedy and impatient! 😎.  *

* But with the name-dropping, they do build some expectation....

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Warclans, Mawtribes, Fyreslayers and Skaven. These are what I want to be given their 2.0 waves and in the case of Skaven their 1.0. Update all the Clan specific models and War Machines besides the Doom Wheel and Screaming Bell. Update the Rat Ogors and everything in fine cast. Skaven need a Gloomspite Gitz/ Lumineth Wave 2, Necrons level update. 

The big 4 have had their updates for AOS, the next up for Chaos has to be Skaven it's only fair and being a classic and honestly revered Army throughout the history of GW I believe they are doing its fans a disservice by letting them go so long without an update.

BoC is so forgotten it's often not even mentioned in the rumors of places needing an update. 

Yes, I suppose you can include stuff like tzaangors, i guess - but it's not really a BoC update (who need a new book and new models, both as a refresh and aspects that make them unique).  Existing off the scraps of others, the ONLY named character the warband guy, and these technical new choices aren't balanced / planned to be in their army, they just have a keyword tacked on. 

A lot of the armies need a refresh, and proper releases. I guess there's only so much time in the year to both refresh old and put out new content. It's easy for at least half the armies to feel somewhat hard done by options / releases / etc.   More factions are just going to make this worse over time, as everyone is vying for something new...

...and you have to assume part of it at least is dictated by popularity, so the cult of new is going to exacerbate this.  😐

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

More factions are just going to make this worse over time, as everyone is vying for something new...

...and you have to assume part of it at least is dictated by popularity, so the cult of new is going to exacerbate this.  😐

I don’t know. My own hype is mainly dependent on the question if and for what project I could use the minis. A new faction that I’m not going to collect anyway only interests me tangentially, just as single models that don’t really fit into anything I plan. No matter how „new“ they are. I see them, think „yeah, nice“ and that’s it. 
And I see many here that already have similar invested interests.

Edited by Beastmaster

8 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I don’t know. My own hype is mainly dependent on the question if and for what project I could use the minis. A new faction that I’m not going to collect anyway only interests me tangentially, just as single models that don’t really fit into anything I plan. No matter how „new“ they are. I see them, think „yeah, nice“ and that’s it. 
And I see many here that already have similar invested interests.

I think there are a few different ways people look at it. some people have the fortitude to not just buy things they don't need because they look cool. Others see the next thing and eyes go wide. Seriously, I have entire factions worth of stuff i've never even opened because it seems every week I find something I love in this or that, or I really love about 40% of each range. It's a problem!

That said,  I think there are newer and older players. Those in the hobby for a long time - it's weird, I think maybe spend more money, but have also are already invested even tho the original armies that brought them in are not supported as much.  The quality of the older faction models are (to me) a really hard sell on new players (or someone starting a new army, but if someone already owns 180 skavenslaves or clanrats, they're not going to want to necessarily rebuy all of those if a new sculpt comes out.  

3 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Beasts Of Chaos so desperately need an overhaul. They stand right next to Skaven in that regard!

Someday....

I think someone once mentioned a rumor that when AoS started, the idea was to have these mini factions that weren't really intended to grow and be supported - but obviously they've rethunk that idea.  Personally, if there isn't the capacity to properly support all these factions, doing more CoSesque solutions actually feel good to me.  Allies are really problematic because they're not part of the faction and miss out on a lot - but the 25% cap of narratively aligned faction seems a great way to A) expand options for older armies, get new toys for those new and old to the hobby, and also focus less on shiny new releases and models and instead fixing up the older models.  Instead of more lumineth, to let them have a CoS equivalent for the pheonix guard and all of those guys for *reasons* would let older hobbyists use their toys with some new ones as well as expand options for both.

I wonder if Belakor might do that sort of thing - like an army that can have up to 25% of each of the god factions, or all of slaves?   Wondering how they are going to rethink undivded.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Beasts Of Chaos so desperately need an overhaul. They stand right next to Skaven in that regard!

I think they are only a bit better than skaven and seraphon, but definitely the third on the list are the sad goats. I am personally in the fence to start a gavespawn army, and a little push from gw is all I need to dive in.

9 hours ago, Austin said:

Morally bankrupt for taking someone else's idea and making a cheaper version?

Does that apply to Kia? What about the bag of marshmallow cereal I bought instead of Lucky Charms?

I am glad other companies exist and they put pressure on GW.  Including companies that make knock-off giants and skeletons that live in the desert.

another thing is that knockoff clothes exists and by their virtue having the real thing is even more prestigious. 

Also people buying big giants from other people but the small ones from GW still makes them money. I own 3 recasts that are 500ish points but I have bought the rest of 1500 points of that army because of that. 

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Giants and dragons aren't concepts original to GW and that includes things like Sea Giants and Giants-with-improvised-siege-weapons.

Hell, Mantic had a giant model roughly the size of the Mega Gargant (for £25) long before GW did. Clearly GW shouldn't try and piggy back off similar sized giant models and come up with their own scale /s.

Isn't that arguing in bad faith, though? Mantic made a giant. A giant is a fantasy archetype and you can do a lot with it (as seen with Mantic normal/frost/corrupted giants, based on the same model). Then, GE puts their own spin with mega gargants. Also pretty standard giants, in three distinct flavours. No real conflict with Mantic here (even though I kinda prefer mantics design in that case, even without a price factor i'd probably go with those when putting together a giant army ;)). But then, colossals appear and they're not really another interpretation of 'giant' archetype. They're almost straight (but reposed) copies of the three giant designs made by GW. They're not another take on 'sea giant' and 'siege giant' idea. They're copies of kraken eater and gatebreaker in particular. And this is the part that's not cool. This is not the same situation.

For different example, Lost Kingdom line has big turtle-men that are clearly marketed to be a kroxigor proxy, and that's all fine by me: they're a distinct design, look cool enough, and if someone prefers their kroxigors to be turtles, there's a model for that. They're not straight up off brand resculpt of kroxigors. Plus, kroxigor is an ancient model that's hard to love, and it's sorta on GW for not updating it yet.

We should really start a separate thread for that discussion, though ; )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GenericEdgyName said:

One thing ya'll are missing about the silhouette - it has distinct moon shapes on it's shoulders.

Now, armies that are known for their association with moon(s) are Lumineth and Gloomspite Gits. I think we can safely cross Lumineth out - they are already getting a lot rather soon, and thr figure looks more evil than what you'd expect from them. That would lead me to believe that it's gloompsite. If I were to guess, a singular hero for them, like Gardus and the new Nighthaunt guy. GGs are further suggested by the urregular, assymetrical look of the crown thingy. It looks rather similar to Skragrott's one. It could be Gravelords - moons are associated with night, and night is the time of vampires, but again, I'd expect a more regular, symmetrical crown.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

I noticed the moon and thought of lumineth but it seems less pointy and more spikey hence my hope for Malerion... 😩

15 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

I wonder if Belakor might do that sort of thing - like an army that can have up to 25% of each of the god factions, or all of slaves?   Wondering how they are going to rethink undivded.

I have posted about my hopes numerous times to have a 1/4 style rule for Slaves to Darkness and the related Godspecific armies. Namely instead of making Chaos Warriors battleline for every god that if taking the appropriate mark then the armies could take 1/4 of S2D troops. This would mean that the God Specific armies would be somewhat limited in allying in beasts. But I think that Beasts should get the undivided mark and be able to have a 1/4 alliance with Undivided Slaves to Darkness. This way you can include Chaos Warriors or Slaangors in your Slaanesh army without making S2D or BoC redundant and can take daemonettes in your Slaves to Darkness or Beast of Chaos without making Slaanesh redundant. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dekay said:

Isn't that arguing in bad faith, though? Mantic made a giant. A giant is a fantasy archetype and you can do a lot with it (as seen with Mantic normal/frost/corrupted giants, based on the same model). Then, GE puts their own spin with mega gargants. Also pretty standard giants, in three distinct flavours. No real conflict with Mantic here (even though I kinda prefer mantics design in that case, even without a price factor i'd probably go with those when putting together a giant army ;)). But then, colossals appear and they're not really another interpretation of 'giant' archetype. They're almost straight (but reposed) copies of the three giant designs made by GW. They're not another take on 'sea giant' and 'siege giant' idea. They're copies of kraken eater and gatebreaker in particular. And this is the part that's not cool. This is not the same situation.

For different example, Lost Kingdom line has big turtle-men that are clearly marketed to be a kroxigor proxy, and that's all fine by me: they're a distinct design, look cool enough, and if someone prefers their kroxigors to be turtles, there's a model for that. They're not straight up off brand resculpt of kroxigors. Plus, kroxigor is an ancient model that's hard to love, and it's sorta on GW for not updating it yet.

We should really start a separate thread for that discussion, though ; )

Yeah man, it's like how Vampire the Masquerade had vampire bloodlines and then, like, a couple years later we got Warhammer Vampires with distinct bloodlines.

Or like how Michael Moorcock had this whole Chaos thing with a crazy many pointed star as its symbol and black-armored, pale-skinned men wielding demonic runeswords as its servants.

Or like how Michael Moorcock had decadent, island-dwelling elf-like things with really tall helms that ride dragons.

Or like how this guy Tolkien had rune-carving, grumpy mountain-dwelling dwarfs with long beards and a grudge against orcs and elves and enjoyed axes.

Or like how Landsknechts in Renaissance Germany had halberds and pikes and greatswords, big hats and bigger pants.

It's almost like Warhammer is in general a pastiche of different IPs and ideas shamelessly cribbed from other sources, and it prices its models at an extraordinary premium and profits enormously year-after-year from a brand built off the pastiche of other ideas made by other minds. So when people who, lets be honest, are also just fellow consumers of GW's content, wax poetic on the moral failings of those making pastiches of GW's content, I question the sincerity of those beliefs, if not also their meaningfulness.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

The symbol of Tzeentch‘s origin lies in the two moons of WHFB some say... also, the moon used to be rather prominent iconography associated with Tzeentch... it‘s not often used these days though, much like fish(scales)... now the bird is the word for 99% of all things Tzeentch.... (used to be just 80% back then)

Anyways,  NOW I‘ll be really disappointed if next week gives me nothing. 

See,  kids, that‘s how you ruin good things for yourself - we might see new Slaves and more of Be‘Lakor and one single name drop of Tzeentch sends me over the moon and dream of new stuff and I’ll be sad when nothing will come. 😂 Just as planned I guess. 

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Yeah man, it's like how Vampire the Masquerade had vampire bloodlines and then, like, a couple years later we got Warhammer Vampires with distinct bloodlines.

Or like how Michael Moorcock had this whole Chaos thing with a crazy many pointed star as its symbol and black-armored, pale-skinned men wielding demonic runeswords as its servants.

Or like how Michael Moorcock had decadent, island-dwelling elf-like things with really tall helms that ride dragons.

Or like how this guy Tolkien had rune-carving, grumpy mountain-dwelling dwarfs with long beards and a grudge against orcs and elves and enjoyed axes.

Or like how Landsknechts in Renaissance Germany had halberds and pikes and greatswords, big hats and bigger pants.

It's almost like Warhammer is in general a pastiche of different IPs and ideas shamelessly cribbed from other sources, and it prices its models at an extraordinary premium and profits enormously year-after-year from a brand built off the pastiche of other ideas made by other minds. So when people who, lets be honest, are also just fellow consumers of GW's content, wax poetic on the moral failings of those making pastiches of GW's content, I question the sincerity of those beliefs, if not also their meaningfulness.

Tolkien also had 'high elves' and 'wood elves' with treemen, goblins/orcs riding wolf-like creatures, daemon such as the balrog that seem very similar to the bloodthirsters, various dragons, a race of humans that are very heavily cavalry focussed, evil Lord dudes riding dragon type things (nazgul/fellbeasts), the army of the dead (bright green ghost army, sound familiar?), the humans that served sauron, riding mumakill (SO similar to the warhammer mammoths).

The list goes on.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deepkin said:

Ignoring for a second that it is just Tolkien races in space, lets not forget how 40k has such original armies as: T-800 Terminators (Necrons), Xenomorphs (Tyranids & Genestealers), Vulcans (Eldar), Romulans (Dark Eldar), Starship Troopers (Space Marines borrow from Heinlein and Cadians borrow from Verhoeven), Rambo (Catachan), the Thing (Chaos mutations and Genestealers), Mecha Anime is a massive inspiration for 40k (Space Marines, Tau, Imperial Knights, Chaos Knights)... 
That is just looking at the model ranges if we want to discuss the lore from what I have seen the Imperium is pretty much Star Wars' Grand Galactic Empire converted into the Dune Universe featuring Heinlein's problematic military fetishism... with a heavy dose of 2000 AD and Heavy Metal aesthetics. I am no expert in 40k lore or in science fiction literature but there is no way that Asmiov and Arthur C. Clarke had no impact on that universe... particularly the likes of Ad-Mech and Blackstone Fortresses. 

I am not arguing that these games are entirely derivative but rather that they have extensive intertextual frameworks... and people seem to be drawn more toward the familiar tropes and schemes in both game systems. The more hit or miss an army seems to be seems entirely related to someones fantasy or sci-fi knowledge. I think space orcs are a step to far for me, but I am okay with fish elves as I have a broader frame of reference for fantasy and myths of sea dwelling civilizations. Heck even the desire that people have for undead pirates seems to draw inspiration from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.  But this could be it's own thread...

Back to rumours/speculation, many people here were thinking this preview was going to focus more heavily on 40K is there a reason for that or simply because the last preview focused more heavily on AOS. I feel like 40ks main focus going forward is going to simply be updating tomes and some of the older ranges. I think that means that we may have a better chance of getting a Soulblight Preview as I assume 40k will get the announcement of a chaos or xenos armybook followed by 13 more space marine codex updates. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fyrenn said:

BoC is so forgotten it's often not even mentioned in the rumors of places needing an update. 

Yes, I suppose you can include stuff like tzaangors, i guess - but it's not really a BoC update (who need a new book and new models, both as a refresh and aspects that make them unique).  Existing off the scraps of others, the ONLY named character the warband guy, and these technical new choices aren't balanced / planned to be in their army, they just have a keyword tacked on. 

A lot of the armies need a refresh, and proper releases. I guess there's only so much time in the year to both refresh old and put out new content. It's easy for at least half the armies to feel somewhat hard done by options / releases / etc.   More factions are just going to make this worse over time, as everyone is vying for something new...

2 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I'm guilty of forgetting BOC. Skaven, BOC, Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Idoneth, Warclans are the major players in needs of updating. Alongside COS and my personal choice with Mawtribes.

53 minutes ago, MitGas said:

The symbol of Tzeentch‘s origin lies in the two moons of WHFB some say... also, the moon used to be rather prominent iconography associated with Tzeentch... it‘s not often used these days though, much like fish(scales)... now the bird is the word for 99% of all things Tzeentch.... (used to be just 80% back then)

Anyways,  NOW I‘ll be really disappointed if next week gives me nothing. 

See,  kids, that‘s how you ruin good things for yourself - we might see new Slaves and more of Be‘Lakor and one single name drop of Tzeentch sends me over the moon and dream of new stuff and I’ll be sad when nothing will come. 😂 Just as planned I guess. 

Mate I know how you feel. I got lucky in the Sons of Behemat being real when  they were just as likely if not more to be something different entirely, but as you see sometimes things work out!!

Is it totally unthinkeable that Bonereaper Archers are released with the BR Teclis? Didn’t Psychic Awakening do something similar? I mean, support factions with a single unit or a hero and a few rulechanges?

Forgive me if Im wrong here but unlike lots of other factions Bonereapers only need a bit of firespower to bring them up to the current meta right? Slap some nasty archers with BR Teclis, adjust some of the subfaction rules and call it a day. No need for a second wave or new Battletome here.

Edited by Greasygeek

1 minute ago, Greasygeek said:

Isit tiltalt unthinkeable that Bonereaper Archers are released with the BR Teclis? Didn’t Psychic Awakening do something similar, support factions with a single unit or a hero and a few rulechanges?

I mean forgive me if Im wrong here but but unlike lots of other factions Bonereapers only need a bit of firespower to bring them up to the current meta right? Slap some nasty archers with BR Teclis, adjust some of the subfaction rules and call its day. No need for a second wave or new Battletome here.

Psychic awakening supported only single heroes, with the exception of drukhari, craftworld eldar, and admech.

I'd hope they'd bring up the rest of the OBR tome to fill the hole left by gutting petrifex, instead of band aid adding more stuff

• Confused 1