The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

€45 for 20, quite probably more expensive than that.

Yes more possible 40€ for 10 and lucky if it isnt 45€ following the trend.

Btw i dont mind the price because these new zombies are so ugly that i dont want them even if they are free,the grave and the pose are horrible and uglier than actual zombies

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Don’t forget the silver tower had only 4 or 5 different sculpts for kairic acolytes and they got a complete new kit with lots of options and poses. So although the ulfenkarn zombies could be an indication for what is to come, it doesn’t necessarily mean those four sculpts will be sold as a unit later. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

A pushfit box of 10 zombies with only 5 repeat sculpts at Lumineth pricing would be criminal. 

If GW does stick with the gravestones on top of all of them, I hope they at least make a multi-part kit to add some more variety.

Selling horde unit in box of 10 is already criminal.

Regarding the zombies, I hope we will see another kit,  I find the ones from cused City to be over designed and it is going to be a real chore to paint a bulk of them. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sandlemad said:

RE: zombies, I kind of feel like... well, they're zombies. There's only so much you can do with them. What could GW do to make new zombies hit that sweet spot between cost and sculpt quality (bearing in mind you're probably going to have a lot of them in your army) to make their offer a better option than the Mantic ones?

617jGXYTloL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Intricate detail won't be all that when you're running half a hundred dudes. A GW brand name won't make a difference and any attempt to put an AoS-unique stamp on them will be rather more shallow than most, particularly as this grave thing doesn't stack well and seems specific to Ulfenkarn. People don't wax poetic about zombies in the way they do about vampires or wights so I think that while everyone agrees the current GW zombies are dreadful (or at best have a crude, goofy charm) there is going to be less demand for cool! new! deadwalkers! 

Bluntly, I don't think GW can make a good enough zombie kit to be worth what they'll charge for it. Mantic zombies are €40 for 40. GW zombies will, at best, be €45 for 20, quite probably more expensive than that.

I think this is the issue with a lot of redesigns - maybe they'll look nicer, but what's the market? Sometimes the price isn't much higher (e.g. flesh hounds and new fiends are cheaper) and I imagine any new bloodknights will fall into this category. But other times you have to wonder if people would buy new zombies or saurus warriors or marauders as, while they'd undoubtedly look better, they'd be more expensive being a horde and most people interested in the factions will already have a sizable number of the old ones and won't want to rebuy them all. 

That's not to say new zombies wouldn't sell, but if they were £30 for 10 then I think a lot of Death fans would either go 3rd party or just stick with the zombies they already own - sure, they might buy one or two boxes, but not tens of them to make a horde. 

I think it's more likely that GW creates an entirely new unit of zombies so there's less overlap - call them something like "Hulking Gravecrawlers" and have them be large zombie amalgamations or something; distinct enough from the current kit that Death fans wouldn't feel like they're being ripped off or that they'll just use their own models. 

• Like 2

@Enoby true. Yet if GW would sell them at a reasonable price (20 for 30€) they'd sell well for a number of reasons:
- People like to stay in the same artstyle within an army, so sticking to GW models makes the army look as it is supposed to look
- If you play at GW stores 3rd party models won't work
- Fanboys 😛

The only thing GW could do to really hurt themselves is pricing Zombies like they did with chainrasps. New Zombies would need to be reasonably priced (20 Zombies for 30-35€)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

@Enoby true. Yet if GW would sell them at a reasonable price (20 for 30€) they'd sell well for a number of reasons:
- People like to stay in the same artstyle within an army, so sticking to GW models makes the army look as it is supposed to look
- If you play at GW stores 3rd party models won't work
- Fanboys 😛

The only thing GW could do to really hurt themselves is pricing Zombies like they did with chainrasps. New Zombies would need to be reasonably priced (20 Zombies for 30-35€)

Yeah I agree that GW could lower their prices on hordes - it's what stopped me getting into Lumineth properly. Most of the list ideas I like the look of would have cost hundreds due to the large model count and high base cost. This is doubly true for units that would have an old counterpart as there's less incentive to pay double the price for a horde unit.

1 hour ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Selling horde unit in box of 10 is already criminal.

Regarding the zombies, I hope we will see another kit,  I find the ones from cused City to be over designed and it is going to be a real chore to paint a bulk of them. 

It remains to be seen if Deadwalker Zombies get a significant warscroll rewrite.

They might not quite be a horde unit anymore in the new book. At least, not to the degree that they currently are (max unit size of 60 with a horde discount and bonuses to hit and wound at 20+/40+). Currently, LoN has a problem with having too many basic infantry choices that fill essentially the same niche. Chainrasps, Skeleton Warriors and Deadwalker Zombies are all slow, cheap chaff options that don't deal good damag and are mainly there to sit on objectives and tarpit stuff. In most builds, that makes skeletons and zombies pointless because Chainrasps just do that job the best.

It would make sense for the Gravelords book to differentiate all the infantry choices more. Let's assume that Chainrasps are just out as a native troop choice for Gravelords (it would make sense to use the opportunity of the new army book to finally disentangle Nighthaunt, OBR and the rest of the current LoN range). The easiest way to differentiate skeletons from zombies would probably be to make zombies more defensive and slower, and skeletons more offensive and faster.

The new Cursed City zombies give me that impression anyway. They don't look particularly offensive or fast, but they do look like they would be hard to put down. It seems even staking them down into the ground and weighing them down with a huge, heavy gravestone is not enough to stop them. From the looks of it, the new zombies are still on 25mm bases, but it's still possible that we are looking at unit sizes of 30 max instead of 60 this time around. Maybe they will turn out to be the Phoenix Guard of Gravelords, just without the offensive punch.

• Like 2

Closing the topic of FW models, Monstrous Arcanum, where most models from FW gets points is rarely updated and the first time things actually slipped in the Legend section was on GHB 20.

Before that things haven’t been sold for a while like the Chaos Mammoth were still legal although with outdated warscrolls.

Not to say they will not keep purging stuff, but if the recent trend gives us indication, out of stock models can still be valid for few years (FW only, GW drops models quite frequently, at least every “legacy” battletome).

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It remains to be seen if Deadwalker Zombies get a significant warscroll rewrite.

They might not quite be a horde unit anymore in the new book. At least, not to the degree that they currently are (max unit size of 60 with a horde discount and bonuses to hit and wound at 20+/40+). Currently, LoN has a problem with having too many basic infantry choices that fill essentially the same niche. Chainrasps, Skeleton Warriors and Deadwalker Zombies are all slow, cheap chaff options that don't deal good damag and are mainly there to sit on objectives and tarpit stuff. In most builds, that makes skeletons and zombies pointless because Chainrasps just do that job the best.

It would make sense for the Gravelords book to differentiate all the infantry choices more. Let's assume that Chainrasps are just out as a native troop choice for Gravelords (it would make sense to use the opportunity of the new army book to finally disentangle Nighthaunt, OBR and the rest of the current LoN range). The easiest way to differentiate skeletons from zombies would probably be to make zombies more defensive and slower, and skeletons more offensive and faster.

I'd like to see the choice of General affect what units are battleline, e.g. Necromancer makes zombies battleline, Vampire For Skeletons, etc.

Would give a reason to pick different units other than the outright strongest choice, and could theme your army in that direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkK said:

I'd like to see the choice of General affect what units are battleline, e.g. Necromancer makes zombies battleline, Vampire For Skeletons, etc.

Would give a reason to pick different units other than the outright strongest choice, and could theme your army in that direction.

It looks like we are getting dedicated heroes to pair with certain troop choices, so something like this is pretty likely. Although it will probably be that certain heroes, battalions and subfactions buff certain units, rather than make them battleline. Because, really, zombies and skeletons should probably be available as battleline to any Gravelords list.

But with the heroes we have already seen, a Cities of Sigmar style structure of sub-allegiances and power pairs seems like a possibility. I think the Cities of Sigmar style would be a good match for Gravelords, honestly, because they are also a pretty soupy faction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It looks like we are getting dedicated heroes to pair with certain troop choices, so something like this is pretty likely. Although it will probably be that certain heroes, battalions and subfactions buff certain units, rather than make them battleline. Because, really, zombies and skeletons should probably be available as battleline to any Gravelords list.

But with the heroes we have already seen, a Cities of Sigmar style structure of sub-allegiances and power pairs seems like a possibility. I think the Cities of Sigmar style would be a good match for Gravelords, honestly, because they are also a pretty soupy faction.

True, they are the iconic troops for the undead faction, I'd just like to see all of them at least been usable. I have a mismatch of undead models already, would be nice to be able to soup them altogether like CoS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I just hope they expand the Vampire Range by heavy Vampire Infantry.

While I hope your wishes come true (more vampires is a good thing), I guess they might put the undead into tiers... e.g. lowly zombies as bottomfeeders, skeletons as the better infantry/light cavalry and Vamps as the elite and leaders (perhaps with necromancers by their side, although perhaps the vamps will be the necromancers exclusively)... not sure the elite would be on foot realistically but I also prefer models on foot personally... so yeah, keeping my fingers crossed. 

As I always say - i love armies that have (visually) very diverse units in them, so I hope all three types (zombies/skeletons/vamps) will get their fair share.

Maybe they won't add too much skeletons though due to them being to similar to their skeleton-golems from the ossiarch though.... which would be a shame as I love the skeletons from WHQ.

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Cant wait for Hedkrakkas Mob!!!

I dont play Underworlds so this will just be a painting project.

You guys really seemed to like my photoshopped preplanned color scheme as well so I'm really excited for y'all to see the finished product!!

• Like 2

I feel like you can really see them stretching stuff out at the moment to fill time now that the release schedule is so delayed. Lots of filler, lots of zeroing in on one specific thing (i.e. one model from an Underworlds warband, the lore of one monster from Cursed City). I mean fair play to them, I'm not sure what else they can do, but it does feel like even more of a dripfeed than ever to me. I think it's pretty telling that they haven't even started talking about the mechanics of Cursed City yet, or even formally announced the Gravelords. I think expect long waits for everything at this point.