The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Any insectoid civilization would be modeled off of communal species like Ants or Termites; these species are extremely industrious, efficient, and one could even describe them as 'orderly.'

Who said insectoid “civilisation”? Locusts are a classic example of all-consuming destroyers.

If you think a bit about Zerg, yes they build but it’s more about destroying the environment to adapt it to their own by consuming all they meet. Destruction is a difficult concept as a GA because needs to be focussed on bringing down any civilisation but not in a chaotic way or they are just chaos. They cannot be too focussed on rebuilding afterward or they will be too order based.

At the end of the day what really matters is that “they are in for a good scrap” and an insectoid race focussed on occupying an area, consuming all resources and moving on to repeat the cycle would fit perfectly. The hive mind kind of mentality could even be used for stronger abilities and dependencies from heroes or special units. If you are in range you get bonus like Ossiarch but obviously different, if you are not in range you take battleshock every phase. Just to cite how much different you can go following this path.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

Even some of the characters we currently have (manny, neferata) existed in the old world with nagash and were not controlled by him.

Sure but all vampires have been created by Nagash and at the beginning they were controlled by him through direct control first and subterfuges next (like using W’Soran as a proxy).

Neferata, like many other of the first Bloodlines, sought a more reserved life also to avoid Nagash attention after one of his many defeats. 

Also Nagash for much of his life was just a shadow controlling only few key players at a time through his essence embedded in artifacts.

In End Times indeed was Mannfred with Arkhan to resurrect Nagash, and at that time Nagash controlled both Sylvania and Khemri, until things went sideways thanks to Mannfred himself... 

• Like 1

I don't think the grand alliance system matters much now. It's mostly just a hangover from when the game first came out and gives a very loose idea of where a faction fits. Other than death which is almost entirely under Nagash.

Order doesn't really exist as a faction. The two dwarf armies will fight for anyone who pays them, Seraphon are their own thing, Lumineth are pretty much their own thing, Morathi and Idoneth have formed a quasi dark elf alliance and I bet BR Alarielle isn't going to be about how she and sigmar plan a wedding.

I dont even know why Lumineth can ally Idoneth when they hate each other. Maybe it has to do with Tyrion aligned Lumineth being on better terms?

• Like 3

I thought the dark eldar codex + the sisters duel box was the next release or am i wrong?

Also curious what do you think the warscrolls book in WHQ will contain if we are getting a release long before soulblight gravelords. Will it have legion of nagash keywords instead?If it has gravelords keywords surely none of the new models will be useable in AoS for awhile. 

Edited by Svalack

Nagash himself has transformed since the Old World. He is close to becoming the embodiment of Death. Not unlike how every Stormcast possesses a small flicker of Sigmar’s essence (going from Soul Wars at least), Nagash can be thought of as being at one with everything that has died. He is Death. They are dead/undead. He is not being self-righteous when he claims all souls are his (well he is, but he’s not wrong...) — the dead belong to him and All are One with Nagash.

We don’t know how they will change the Soulblight lore, but up until the now, the vampire Mortarchs have quite literally been re-created from Nagash’s memories and essence. All are One with Nagash, and so he sifted through his ancient recollections for his former lieutenants, and he re-made them for the Mortal Realms. Already closely bound to him in the World That Was through the nature of their curse, they are now (in the existing lore, at least) aspects of his will made manifest. To accept the Blood Kiss from such a creature is to embrace Nagash not just by virtue of being undead but by accepting his blood into oneself. 

It is easy to think of vampires as people with a thirst for blood and superhuman strength. Hollywood hammers this into us at every opportunity. But it’s also easy to forget that behind all that (or underneath it, depending on the representation), vampires are actually corpses. They are cadavers reanimated by (and bound to) the will of the one who sired them, puppets not dissimilar to the way traditional undead dance to a necromancer’s call. We do see instances of infighting within the bloodlines frequently in the Old World, but here are also many instances of get being unable to strike against their sires (at least physically... Is it any wonder so many of the vampires were drawn to plotting in the shadows?).

I think the understanding that All are One with Nagash is really important (even fundamental) to death and undeath in AoS. But I’d also argue that Sigmar has essentially the same hold over his Stormcast (who have the illusion of free will but who are essentially unfailingly loyal to the God-King) and even Alarielle and the Sylvaneth, whose moods and directives seem utterly bound to her song, to the point that when she sang of war, it mobilised the entire Life Realm of surviving Sylvaneth to surge up once more against the Grandfather). This is the source of their fickle, mercurial nature — it is Alarielle’s. 

On one level, I get it — for better or worse, AoS as it stands is currently a setting and a story about the gods. Broken Realms only seems to reaffirm this. In another life, the likes of Sigmar and Nagash and Alarielle might be the set pieces; an invisible pantheon used to flavour the realms, and sometimes influence them (much more Warhammer Fantasy, before the melodrama of the End Times, at least). But the way we currently have it, it is the other way around, with the gods’ people and armies being the set pieces, armies for the Powers That Be to move across the board...

I will always be a fan of more human stories, personally. I don’t actually mean humans, but ‘the little people’. The ones living (or unliving) through the realms, the ones ultimately just trying to figure out who the hell they are and what the point of it all is. These are the questions we can relate to. And from the sounds of things on here, I’m not alone. Even a powerful vampire Lord is a little person in this analogy, a speck of silt swirling in the vast ocean of undeath. Nobody wants to be told that their character is just another aspect of (or a slave to) someone else. Most of us want free will for our characters, to be able to tell them how we want to tell them (because isn’t that all we want for ourselves, too?).

But I don’t think the two things have to be mutually exclusive. 

Sure, all death is bound to Nagash. He says jump, and your character says ‘how high?’ (I’m now picturing a row of skeletons jumping on command — stick with it, Tom...) BUT this doesn’t have to detract you taking your character in whatever direction you see fit. The realms are supposed to be vast. Limitless, even. Nagash’s mind is stretched thin, and there is so much scope for your characters to go their entire, centuries-long existence without ever encountering the Great Necromancer. You can also imagine his power/pull in different ways. The Sylvaneth have their song. I don’t think Alarielle is ordering every dryad around personally, but the sentiment of her will is there, carried on the wind and in the trees, and they grow/march/add their voices to her song accordingly. Nagash’s will is often interpreted in the lore as a Black Sun, eternally glaring down over the dead and sometimes summoning them over great distances. Paint/write/tell your character’s story and just have this sun hanging over them, alluding to Nagash’s influences without ever having to state or acknowledge it explicitly in your own lore.

And if it still doesn’t sit right with you that your character’s will might ultimately answer to Nagash, then turn it into a point of conflict for your character themselves! There is sooo much creative opportunity there. Arkhan often muses on it, and it’s so interesting to read about and to go on that journey of self-discovery with him. It‘s the oldest story: who am I? And having your very will/self-awareness brought into question is like a playground for those kinds of themes. Do they second-guess themselves? Do they agonise over it? Do they challenge it or disbelieve it or carry out atrocities with a clean conscience, under the brief their actions are not their own?

If I have a problem with AoS lore, it is their focus on the gods, because at first glance. it does lead to us question how our characters interact with them, when really, the chances of that ever happening are so infinitesimally small that we could all go on creating the characters and telling the stories we want to, blissfully indifferent to what ol’ Bag-of-Bones is up to at any given point. I think the effect is more pronounced in Nagash’s case because he has been at the middle of so many lore-defining events and conflicts recently and because he’s so damn vocal and self-aggrandising about his influence of power and ‘all being one with Nagash...’ (I still picture him as a crazy guy with a stick shaking his fist while he shouts this stuff into an empty sky, half the time).

But we shouldn’t let that hold us back, and we can go on creating the Deathlords and Ladies that we want, and even use it to flavour and define our characters. At least, that’s how I see it 😅

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
  • Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 2

The Mortachs may have been made by Nagash, but perhaps he hasn't eaten all the death gods and a different afterlife can be carved out by one. Not one made out of Nagash, but, say Morr.

As for Destruction, I wouldn't mind the different views of the factions ripping gorkamorka apart into different gods, with the divine essence dripping onto their followers to make their leaders their gods, until another of that faction challenges and wins. You can only be a god until you get krumped. Or simply be without one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

I agree with most of what you have said here, a highly industry focused Destruction faction is also big on my wish list. But I have a problem with the "ugly people" part, most Destruction models are beautiful, Order has the market cornered on ugly people.

Screenshot_20210227-194317.png

Well you haven’t seen the half of the skaven race yet mate56233604-0835-462C-921E-DF56328632CE.jpeg.f0b17036985664cc5aeabc81902b382c.jpeg1F072E51-2E51-4649-964C-BEE1FE584593.jpeg.523c4f2ce19ee2aa32c40c1e3cbc522c.jpegCE23596A-E845-4AF4-91AC-FE34E89EFE63.jpeg.100bcf6407e1266570676083c73f7c40.jpeg

and many more there are, my still learning padawan

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

Destruction could be seen as a pantheon as well.

We got Gorkamorka and his incarnation as the Gulping God and Suneater, Behemat, Ravenak, Da Spider God, Da Badmoon, and there has even been mentions of Da Evil Sun.

I hope we get a visual for Ravenak soon, besides the Gnashing Jaws. 

9 hours ago, xking said:

Silent People are Destruction because they are most likely base off  locust.  They will awaken to feed and they worship beastgrave.  There is a reason why the Seraphon are trying to stop the prophecy and blow up beastgrave.

Mate you are bang on, I'd love for Beastgrave to awaken and for the Silent people to descend upon the Realms. A Locust type people that consume and move on, almost cicyical like the Ogor Mawpath but without a central home to return to. Perhaps even the Silent People help pollinate the Realms carrying seeds and such, a form of rebirth from the Destruction they leave. 

11 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well you haven’t seen the half of the skaven race yet mate56233604-0835-462C-921E-DF56328632CE.jpeg.f0b17036985664cc5aeabc81902b382c.jpeg1F072E51-2E51-4649-964C-BEE1FE584593.jpeg.523c4f2ce19ee2aa32c40c1e3cbc522c.jpegCE23596A-E845-4AF4-91AC-FE34E89EFE63.jpeg.100bcf6407e1266570676083c73f7c40.jpeg

and many more there are, my still learning padawan

Mate Skaven HAVE to be the next updated Faction outside of the narrative and that's only if they arent present in BR or the beginning of 3.0. They are in dire need of an update and as one of the oldest and most original Factions they've earned it.

• Like 3

Grand Alliances  are coalitions of factions who share a overall philosophy and goal.  They don't even have to like each other.  

Such as Order wants to be free from the evils of the dark gods and   build their civilizations , they don't want to be Undead under the control of nagash and they are not rampaging Destroyers who want to fight or eat everything 

These factions can come into conflict with one another, either due to their moral views, how they go about spreading and growing their civilization. Or do to their individual faction or sub-facion's goals.  

Conflict can even occur within the same faction. such as between the knights Excelsior and the hallowed Knights.  

Read the fyreslayers lore, They are without a doubt order, they are a complex civilization. The only reason they are mercenary at all is to resurrect Grimnir. You can read there lore on the Lexi

sylvaneth are also order, believe it or not they are a civilization. composed of various Glades, Kingdoms and Clans. they also represent natural order.

Edited by xking
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Svalack said:

I thought the dark eldar codex + the sisters duel box was the next release or am i wrong?

Also curious what do you think the warscrolls book in WHQ will contain if we are getting a release long before soulblight gravelords. Will it have legion of nagash keywords instead?If it has gravelords keywords surely none of the new models will be useable in AoS for awhile. 

GW seem to be talking openly about <Soulblight Gravelords> at this point, so including it on the warscroll probably isn't an impossibility. It's also possible that the actual Battletome is revealed prior to Cursed City's release. They could also keep it as <Legions of Nagash> on the print and then FAQ that <Soulblight Gravelords> can use them as well, just replace the keywords.

• Like 1

I've cast the bones (last night's KFC) and read where they landed. 

However one fell on the floor and was taken by the dog, another fell under the cooker, which we all know has a realm gate under as nothing ever returns from under the cooker. 

So I couldn't tell much from the remaining bone but it did leave a grease mark that looked like a C. 

So the bones foretell Cursed City going on pre-order next week. 

Unless I was reading it sideways and it's a U for Underworlds or unknown!! 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I've cast the bones (last night's KFC) and read where they landed. 

However one fell on the floor and was taken by the dog, another fell under the cooker, which we all know has a realm gate under as nothing ever returns from under the cooker. 

So I couldn't tell much from the remaining bone but it did leave a grease mark that looked like a C. 

So the bones foretell Cursed City going on pre-order next week. 

Unless I was reading it sideways and it's a U for Underworlds or unknown!! 

Hopefully Cursed City next week!! I'd love to get hold of Corpse Eater as I'm sure you would!!

38 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Would love Cursed City, would settle for Crimson Court or the Orruk dudes.

All three are instant buys for me.

Would be amazed and overjoyed at actual Soulblight, given how little of them we have seen so far. #Nagashmas

If it’s any underworlds, it’ll be the Seraphon. We know the order the Underworlds bands are being released in and which month (barring any further delays). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1