The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, Causalis said:

As a Gloomspite-Player: You don't want this. The Gloomspite subfactions have zero synergie between each other, which makes fielding mixed lists very awkward. And if you go Trolls only you have an extremely limited pool of units to choose from and almost no synergies between them.  The recent WD somewhat fixed this by giving us more options to go all-out on Squigs. 

Another negative example here is Khorne. You can either go full Mortals or full Daemons but there isn't a Tribe for a mixed list and not much synergie between them. 

IF the Gravelords get subfactions I want them to be well designed! I want to be able to go full mono-subfaction and still have a force with some nice combos that doesn't feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot for taking it. And I also want to be able to make lists with mixed subfactions that still feel like a coherent force with combos and synergies between the units. 

All of the Chaos books are like that. Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeench are played either Mortal or Demon.

Why those are in the same book is far beyond me.

I also don't see any reason why Death units shouldn't interact with each other.  I'm pretty sure a dead guy doesn't care he is sitting on a horse or not

if he get commands from a death lord

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 123lac said:

Gravelords release with plastic blood knights and hopefully updated skeleton and zombie kits. What else needs updating from that range? The wight king on foot? 

The wight king on foot looks great, although I wouldn't complain about a new one.

Dire wolves, maybe? Combined with the units from Cursed City and a new vampire lord or two I think the faction would be looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, Causalis said:

As a Gloomspite-Player: You don't want this. The Gloomspite subfactions have zero synergie between each other, which makes fielding mixed lists very awkward. And if you go Trolls only you have an extremely limited pool of units to choose from and almost no synergies between them.  The recent WD somewhat fixed this by giving us more options to go all-out on Squigs. 

Another negative example here is Khorne. You can either go full Mortals or full Daemons but there isn't a Tribe for a mixed list and not much synergie between them. 

IF the Gravelords get subfactions I want them to be well designed! I want to be able to go full mono-subfaction and still have a force with some nice combos that doesn't feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot for taking it. And I also want to be able to make lists with mixed subfactions that still feel like a coherent force with combos and synergies between the units. 

This is definitely true, one of my biggest complaints with my Destruction army's is the lack of synergy between subfractions. Big Waaagh kinda has it but even still I feel it could be better, as well as allowing mono-subfactions to be good.

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I see it more as a hierarchy with Soulblight at the top. No doubt we will see subfactions that enable Deathrattle/Deadwalker/Soulblight only lists, though. Deathrattle and Soulblight are already barely playable as their own list. It would not take much to make them full subfactions.

That begs the question: are skeletons or zombies on the bottom of the pyramid?

6 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

All of the Chaos books are like that. Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeench are played either Mortal or Demon.

I also don't see any reason why Death units shouldn't interact with each other.  I'm pretty sure a dead guy doesn't care he is sitting on a horse or not

WHFB times Chaos Daemons were a single faction that was often recommended to players due to the fact that a single army could be used in WHFB and WH40k. WHFB was dominated by daemons for a long time from what I´ve read, and the old range was quite heavy in pewter models. Splitting Daemons off in 4 factions, leaving you only the Great Alliance Alligience, made it far less desireble to play (even Belakors Host in Wrath of the Everchosen did not much to change it). I imagine this way gw wanted to lure more players to get into a new army. That beeing the historic reason I see for the "shared books", and yes, GW focusing design wise on models for sub-alligiences feels quite like pushing you to buy more stuff if you want to change the suballigience. Mawtribes is a good example: Each tribe has 1-2 designated units that are supported. The best way to get around it is to not get fooled by the carrot on a stick. 

Blood knights are also gone. If you want the Mournghul for its model, now would be the time to get it. If you want it for its rules, reconsider, as I expect it to be dumped.

Edit, took a look around, wight king on horse, cairn wraith, black knight, zombies and some vampire lords were at temporarily unavailable, which is odd for the wight king.

Edited by zilberfrid

7 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

Nurgle has no subfactions in its book.

In the case of Tzeentch at least, Guild of Summoners and Host Duplicitus main rules (Lord of Change summoning, and no retreats) work for any combination of Tzeentch units.

The rest however tend to focus on specific units (like Kairic Acolytes or Tzaangors). Battalions most certainly push you towards all Daemons or all mortals though, in all 4 books.

6 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

That begs the question: are skeletons or zombies on the bottom of the pyramid?

If I remember my Warhammer Fantasy lore right, zombies are the most garbage kind of undead. But in AoS, there are sentient varieties of both zombies and skeletons that run their own kingdoms.

That reminds me, though, I need to go take archery lessons so that I don't end up as a stupid spear skeleton after I die.

21 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

I wouldn't really get too excited.

Likely just a re-boxing. GW and FW stuff has been going "No Longer Available" now for a few months, when really they're just out of stock or getting new boxing.

FWIW the Blood Knights are still "No Longer Available" on the UK store.

I don't think so. I would really expect all those resin models to no longer be part of the Gravelords model range after that book comes out. Especially for stuff like bat swarms and vampire lords, where we know a new plastic model exists.

Plus, when I visit the store, Blood Knights are "no longer available", while Black Knights are "temporarily out of stock".

49 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Repackaging

The new Wight king on horse has been revealed, the old wight king on horse would be the model most likely to go out of production.

With Cities, people also said repackaging, which it wasn't. GW made a better effort to hide that things were going out of production at that time though.

Edited by zilberfrid

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I see it more as a hierarchy with Soulblight at the top. No doubt we will see subfactions that enable Deathrattle/Deadwalker/Soulblight only lists, though. Deathrattle and Soulblight are already barely playable as their own list. It would not take much to make them full subfactions.

I have vague recollections from the Liber Necris background book of Mannfred saying there was a broad hierarchy among the undead, not so much in terms of command but in terms of value. I think it went 'flesh' --> 'bone' --> 'spirit' from least to most valuable but I might have that wrong... It clearly doesn't carry over entirely in AoS though. The thematic distinction between the three remains but it's not like Nighthaunt are more elevated in Nagash's sight than the Ossiarch.

I think Deadwalkers/zombies are still at the bottom of the pile thematically though, even if you do have important sentient zombies in AoS. They're the most tied to their living forms of all undead. They're not as transformed by Nagash's will as either the Ossiarch (dead but in completely new forms) or the Nighthaunt, they don't have the usefulness or vaguely free will of the Soulblight, they have less necromancy invested in them than Deathrattle skeletons or wights despite being more closely associated with non-vampire necromancers than other factions. I also suspect GW is generally less interested in them because they're the Death faction with the most aesthetic overlap with Nurgle, which is what they've been trying to move away from.

I could still see a broad subfaction based around them and necromancers, or if not that then just the unfortunate bunch of exclusive and interlocking buffs and keywords like the Gloomspite issue mentioned above.

Edited by sandlemad

9 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

It's the keyword-driven rule spam they got going. This buff-focused gameplay really limits variety.

Easiest fix would be to throw most of the keywords away and make the actual warscrolls good instead of being good within a certain subfaction or after being buffed by various other models/heroes. That's simply limiting and hella bad game design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bosskelot said:

GW and FW stuff has been going "No Longer Available" now for a few months, when really they're just out of stock or getting new boxing.

I believe this as well. As GW has used the recent times to do that to a lot of sets.

Most of the old Underworlds sets have been repackaged into AoS sets without the cards and being 5€ cheaper for some time now. Thundrik's Profiteers or Mollug's Mob are two examples of sets that were "No Longer Available" just a week ago, but are now both back in stock. With a new army on its way, a repackaging makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Random said:

I believe this as well. As GW has used the recent times to do that to a lot of sets.

Most of the old Underworlds sets have been repackaged into AoS sets without the cards and being 5€ cheaper for some time now. Thundrik's Profiteers or Mollug's Mob are two examples of sets that were "No Longer Available" just a week ago, but are now both back in stock. With a new army on its way, a repackaging makes sense.

But why would we believe that this is a case of units being repackaged when we know new plastic Vampire Lord, Bat Swarm and Mounted Wight King models exist and that GW is trying to phase out Finecast models?

It makes very little sense to me that those old models would stick around for Gravelords.

• Like 1