The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

You might be right. I'm trying to look at this as the most sensible approach but I do realize GW doesn't always operate this way..

Yeah, considering how the Slaanesh mortals were first shown in the warcry book months before the release, don't try to use logic :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eciu said:

So they want to really make SCE into Space Marines ? (With limiting their numbers and upgrading their "eltiness") 

well i hope not considering Stormcast are so much better than Marines lore/character wise... that would kill the game for me. GW should continue to make Stormcast distinct and unique from Marines.

5 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

That's just speculation of course and I would like the SCE to remain "Reforgeable" but Flawed as they are right now, but that's what the "Dark offering" short story hinted at, so...

we're also heavily speculating that the impossible/eternal is specifically Stormcast related. There are many, many impossible things in the Mortal Realms (kind of the point of the setting) and iirc even Nagash has been considered "eternal" so Stormcast are also not the only 'eternal' things in the Realms.

I think making Stormcast un-reforgable before even exploring the flaw of the Anvil + seeking out answers in fixing it would not only be a waste of an amazing story beat, but would weaken the metaplot this recently into the setting. This is legit something that the battletome gives a large nod to, it's what the Sacrosanct are doing, and it's even tied into the Underworlds plot! Maybe something to do when AOS is a decade old, but not something before even a 3rd edition comes out...

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I think making Stormcast un-reforgable before even exploring the flaw of the Anvil + seeking out answers in fixing it would not only be a waste of an amazing story beat, but would weaken the metaplot this recently into the setting. This is legit something that the battletome gives a large nod to, it's what the Sacrosanct are doing, and it's even tied into the Underworlds plot!

I entirely agree with you, both timing and fluff redundancy.

Maybe the (possible!!) attack on the Anvil could only push the Flaw past a certain breaking point, not making the SCE unreforgeable, but ushering the release of Flawed SCE in model form ? 

12 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

ushering the release of Flawed SCE in model form ? 

Someone else might know more, but I get the impression that lore-wise there's a hefty precedent for flawed reforges getting models--"lightning gheists" comes to mind as one of the descriptions from our batteletome. Sacrosanct are charged with hunting both the solutions to the flaw and any flawed reforges that get out of hand. The Anvil doesn't need to be broken or attacked for them to release those models IMHO.

With the full CCity reveal, showing us the Cult of the Comet priestess, I'm thinking that the "Ruination Chamber" the SCE battletome alludes to will be occult (as in Azyr cults) and the flawed reforges would fit into that quite well. This would also fit into the vibe of Broken Realms with the inevitable fall of Excelsis & other 'ruination' happening, like Anvilgard -> Har Kuron.

The other reason I don't think Azyr or the Anvil will get touched is that BR lore needs time to settle; the largest Waaagh yet is on the march, Order is fracturing, aelves are ascendant, Nagash possibly losing omnipotent control, etc. There is SO MUCH happening that needs to be tied up that breaking the Anvil feels like a waste of a plot point in this moment. Heck, I keep forgetting Slaanesh isn't even technically out of prison yet!!

Hopefully we'll get some more breadcrumbs as to what the "impossible" and "eternal" are in BR Teclis or more short fics. But I do want to point out again that both of those terms describe a ton of non-Stormcast lore in the Mortal Realms, including lore that carried over from WHF. And they are also somewhat subjective; I find Skaven Gnawholes to be more impossible than the Anvil, for example.

• Like 1

I probably missed something, but do we have any confirmations the 3rd book is going to be Alarielle or we just following the logic of since the first two books were focus on Aelf characters, the third has to also be focus on one?

32 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

The other reason I don't think Azyr or the Anvil will get touched is that BR lore needs time to settle; the largest Waaagh yet is on the march, Order is fracturing, aelves are ascendant, Nagash possibly losing omnipotent control, etc. There is SO MUCH happening that needs to be tied up that breaking the Anvil feels like a waste of a plot point in this moment. Heck, I keep forgetting Slaanesh isn't even technically out of prison yet!!

This is the big thing. Having new lore is supposed to be additive, giving more possibilities for the hobbyists. Kinda why no character ever get killed. Substractive big shocks are cool the time of  a reddit post, but long term it only makes thing worst.

With Anvilguard/Har Kuron they still kept a loyalist Anvilguard has a nomadic/pirate subfaction in the lore.

Destroying Azyr only sounds like a bad f- stormcast fanfic.

Edited by ian0delond
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ragest said:

At first time i though Bela was going to attack stormcast ETERNALS, but the text is pretty ambiguous in every line, so can't be that easy.

And the next book is about Alarielle, the EVERqueen

Maybe they'll finally kill off the Wanderers and their ETERNAL guard 🤣

...sorry couldn't help myself

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ian0delond said:

I probably missed something, but do we have any confirmations the 3rd book is going to be Alarielle or we just following the logic of since the first two books were focus on Aelf characters, the third has to also be focus on one?

This is the big thing. Having new lore is supposed to be additive, giving more possibilities for the hobbyists. Kinda why no character ever get killed. Substractive big shocks are cool the time of  a reddit post, but long term it only makes thing worst.

With Anvilguard/Har Kuron they still kept a loyalist Anvilguard has a nomadic/pirate subfaction in the lore.

Destroying Azyr only sounds like a bad f- stormcast fanfic.

I disagree, not about destroying Azyr specifically because I'm unsure of my thoughts on it, but about the idea that substractive elements in the lore are inherently bad in the long run. If the lore only allows partial victories and there's no real consequences to the events of the stories then the world will become stale, much like 40k (and Fantasy before the End Times) where everything inevitably returns to the same status quo. Having the chance for real progression and change is one of AOS' strongest points, so while I agree that most character deaths or massive events that take an entire army out of the game should be avoided, I do believe that eventually there needs to be a situation that results in big consequences for everyone, even if it's something that's done sparingly. I don't think we've reached the point where that's necessary yet though, but something to the scale of the destruction of Azyr (not necessarily that particular event) could be a good move for the game some years later- and it wouldn't necessarily require the disappearance of a model line, the AOS universe allows for plenty of creativity to justify the content of the tabletop game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The third book is definitely going to revolve around Be’lakor according to the preview.

I really hope Alarielle won’t be the focus of the fourth, one because personally I can’t stand her, two because surely the stories about Gordrakk mean Gordrakk should be next in line to get a Broken Realms book, and three because it’s about time some of the non-Elf races get their time. In First Edition we didn’t have enough Elves, now we’ve had too many!

Personally I would love to see them resurrect Ungrim Ironfist as High King of the Fyreslayers in his own Broken Realms book, heralding a new release featuring him riding a giant lava monster and a load of new units for Fyreslayers, but I admit that is going to be a long shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, RamsesIII said:

the idea that substractive elements in the lore are inherently bad in the long run

smaller subtractive elements like what we've been seeing in BR so far are great for the lore, but I agree that major ones can hurt newer/newish IPs like AOS if they're too subtractive. The Necroquake felt like a good balance of both, though we probably could've gotten some more fiction specifically surrounding its effects...

2 hours ago, ian0delond said:

Mostly following the logic of Morathi -> Teclis -> [probable elf]

It's probably likely that Be'Lakor and Alarielle will share a book, as we definitely need to hear more about what's happening in Ghyran/with Sylvaneth! Whatever happens with the books though, Gordrakk's siege of Excelsis is most likely going to be the end-event to BR.

My bet is on the BR books being concurrent events that lead up to the Siege of Excelsis. I'm just not sure if Slaanesh is going to escape before or after that :)

• Like 1

I would love Stormcast to get some more angelic behemoths in their army. Not the pretty renaissance depictions of winged human,s but the surreal and terrifying ones described by Ezekiel. I actually think such designs would make for cool endless spells.

EfFtCjVWoAM-N_h?format=jpg&name=medium

I also think that an Angelic Death army in the style of Renaissance depictions of angels would be amazing as it would better explain why living people would worship Nagash in hopes of being blessed upon death. 

Evelyn_De_Morgan_-_Angel_of_Death.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 10

Regarding Cursed City and the Warscroll book, I just hope they don’t release a battletome in April to support those models and another in October for the second wave 🤣🤣🤣

Regarding Stormcast being decimated, can I just remind that without them the mortal realms were basically almost entirely wiped out by chaos forces and all remaining humans almost entirely followers of the chaos gods? What hope can humanity have if they lose their paladins? Stormcast tactics often involve self-sacrifice and if that means no coming back, it also means a finite army and soon the loss of all territory conquered...

Destroying Azyr would also mean the end of hope and of all free races, the few pockets being destroyed one by one...

Things need to happen but not at the end times pace...

and let’s not forget the Seraphon are in Azyr and in theory the Slann can predict the future. Is it possible they are all blind my events of this magnitude?

Edited by alghero81
  • Like 3

On 2/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, KingBrodd said:

Exactly. Plus his family history with Vampires leads me to believe it's one of them.

I think that Ven Brecht could recognize a vampire if he had expierence with them.  He has connection with them but what vampires would do there?

Malerion is  the most reasonable being for me. He had a reason to free van Brecht. Malerion is not pleased that Morathi grows in power in his domain (and he doesn't want to go into open war) so directing Sigmar's anger to her have a sense. Malerion also should be well informed about Morathi actions.

Edited by Nozdormu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I would love Stormcast to get some more angelic behemoths in their army. Not the pretty renaissance depictions of winged human,s but the surreal and terrifying ones described by Ezekiel. I actually think such designs would make for cool endless spells.

EfFtCjVWoAM-N_h?format=jpg&name=medium

I also think that an Angelic Death army in the style of Renaissance depictions of angels would be amazing as it would better explain why living people would worship Nagash in hopes of being blessed upon death. 

Evelyn_De_Morgan_-_Angel_of_Death.jpg

all types of angels are in the bible. some of them look like normal humans and some of them have six flaming wings.    Could do some interesting things with stormcast  

Edited by xking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Stormcast Eternals are literally the only faction that keeps Chaos and Death in check

This is literally the single worst part of AoS' lore. I do not care about Stormcast Eternals. I do not like Stormcast Eternals. Why should I, and every other faction in the game, be reminded of how great and awesome and important Stormcast Eternals are? They had their moment reclaiming the Realmgates. They can stay as elite shock troops for the forces of Order, but they don't have to (and really shouldn't) be the single deciding factor keeping the entirety of the setting from falling apart.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Psssshhh, Orruks have kept chaos at a constant cripple even before Siggy decided to reclaim anything!

They keep everything in check.! Not because its heroic or for some grand scheme. They do it because they just do. They are the unspoken constant tide of balance all throughout!!

Green is best!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Stormcast Eternals are literally the only faction that keeps Chaos and Death in check and gives order the chance to reclaim ground.

I don't think that's necessarily true, yes they where and are extremely important in liberation and founding of cities. But to say they are the only faction is disingenuous, FS held there ground throughout the age of Chaos, DoK have been extremely important in recent events, LRL have kept Hysh safe, Death invaded the 8 points, Destruction has kept Ghur nearly chaos death and chaos free, and that's just a few examples.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

This is literally the single worst part of AoS' lore. I do not care about Stormcast Eternals. I do not like Stormcast Eternals. Why should I, and every other faction in the game, be reminded of how great and awesome and important Stormcast Eternals are? They had their moment reclaiming the Realmgates. They can stay as elite shock troops for the forces of Order, but they don't have to (and really shouldn't) be the single deciding factor keeping the entirety of the setting from falling apart.

I love hearing about how ikrit is an awesome skaven character, and his only appearance is a book where he's a antagonist to a stormcast eternal (you can guess how that goes for him)