The Rumour Thread

Necrons also didn't "need" the update as bad as, say Eldar who still have guardian models older than necron warriors (I believe older then necrons themselves as a faction). So that was a huge surprise - a fantastic one as its really updated the Necrons a lot! Still I think many for 40K are hoping (even the non-Eldar players) that the next big thing for them is Eldar 

AoS is much harder to predict as there are many small and new factions that could with a second wave and many older larger armies in need of updated sculpts. As much as Skaven and Seraphon "deserve" updated sculpts; Ossiarchs, Fyreslayers and such "deserve" second waves or at least multiple small updates. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Overread said:

In an interview a while back Destruction was mentioned as being the next big thing GW wants to focus on. I do approve of trying to Finish off Death and Chaos in general terms. Vampires rounds out Death pretty well leaving the door only open for a skeleton focused army at some point in the future, but generally fills the faction with most of what we'd expect. 

Chaos has had nice big updates for each of the four core chaos gods now and much of their range is updated (not all but much). Skaven are an outlier, but they do have a wide range, its just got a lot of old parts to it here and there. Remains to be seen what GW does with Skaven, but they are at least diverse as an army. Much like Seraphon I suspect they'll have to wait a while to get updated sculpts across the army. 

Destruction in my view needs two key things

1) A nice update to Orruks to give them some new toys. At the start of AoS we had 3 orruk armies that were basically different sculpts doing the same thing - choppa boyz; arrow boyz; boar riders; boar chariots; some big boss; some shaman dancing etc... They need some creativity and freshness and new ideas injecting into them

2) A new faction. Perhaps something that isn't goblin nor orruk. Something totally creative an new. 

Honestly Destruction has felt a bit like a red headed step child in some ways compared to what Orcs and Goblins were in WHFB. I cannot wait for there time in Da Bad Moon!! 

i think one of the reason they choice Necron is that they have always been  known as an  easy to paint army (spray leadbealcher and put a coat of nuln oil on them and you are all set). so it a good beginner army for newer customers.

this could also be a factor of what armies get chosen in the end, we are all kind of assuming Stormcast is going to be front and center of the new edition just because of how they are both posterboy faction and have always been design to be newbie friendly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

What's the average buy in price now for an AoS army?, 350-400 gpb for a nice full fat 2000 point army?

About that. Last year I wrote an article about it, mind you before the last price rise but in percentage grew only 2% on average per army as far as I remember.

If you are interested: https://ageofminiatures.com/warhammer-army-cost/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, novakai said:

i think one of the reason they choice Necron is that they have always been  known as an  easy to paint army (spray leadbealcher and put a coat of nuln oil on them and you are all set). so it a good beginner army for newer customers.

this could also be a factor of what armies get chosen in the end, we are all kind of assuming Stormcast is going to be front and center of the new edition just because of how they are both posterboy faction and have always been design to be newbie friendly.

There's a new Partworks Magazine for 40K coming out this year. Bets are Necrons - with their new kits and a lot of pushfits - will be one half of that set. It's great for GW as its part of their big campaign to outreach to new customers. 

Last time it was marines and nurgle, this time I'm wagering Necrons and "something". Could be Marines again, or could be another Imperial force (which pretty much means Sisters of Battle)

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

Can someone point me to the direction of the AOS rumours forum.

I mistakenly ended up in a 40K Necron's section. Maybe the DNS records are mixed up and point to "40K Unwanted United"

Admins, please fix that i want to go where normal people go.

to be fair we are talking about AoS 3.0, just using the 40k edition as a comparison.

• Like 3

In my opinion, I don’t think aos3 is very likely for 2021.

GW have a specific financial plan of releasing a big/major item (usually a new edition or a boxed game) in June/July at the beginning of the new financial year, which would suggest aos3 is coming. However, because of COVID I think Warhammer Quest Cursed City will be the ‘big’ release. COVID caused massive delays for gw last year and they’re still trying to play catch up.  They missed the usual June/July release slot, but they rushed out 40K 9th edition as fast as they could which delayed everything else. Some of the Necron and Space Marine kits still haven’t made it out. Additionally, the GHB20 showed how much Sons Of Behemat and Lumineth Realmlords were delayed considering the GHB is printed at least 6 months in advance. Then there’s the odd situation of Realmlords wave 2 which I suspect were supposed to be in the book originally but were removed when gw realised they wouldn’t be able to get all the models out in time (I can’t see any other reason that makes sense-except for the obvious ‘cash grabbing’ DLC approach of forcing you to buy Broken Realms Teclis).

I believe they’ll delay aos3 until the 2022 financial year rather than releasing it later in 2021. We’ve still got Warhammer Quest Cursed City, Broken Realms Teclis, wave 2 Realmlords, Soulblight Gravelords, Dark Eldar 40K and 40K Kill Team that we know of coming soon. As well as stuff for Bloodbowl, Middle Earth, Underworlds, Warcry and Adeptus Titanicus, plus more rumoured Broken Realms books

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

I mistakenly ended up in a 40K Necron's section. Maybe the DNS records are mixed up and point to "40K Unwanted United"

Jokes on you, tomb kings are coming back, just with slightly more range than you remember

• Haha 2

Regarding aos3 one thing that hasn't been talked about is gw's internal production schedule. Most books are completed about a year ahead of release. That means that the studio would have been aiming to do key writing work on AoS3 right in the middle of the first lockdown. That must have impacted their schedule. Miniatures are sculpted 2 years ahead so next year's minis will be impacted by the lockdown as well. 

At this point I will be very surprised if AoS 3 is not delayed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

You're not mistaken.

You've just  not realised that its the new units for the bone reapers. The back ground is that they defeated a forgetown or duardin forgehold and now after creating their troops they dip them in liquid metal to give them even more armour and the rifles are green because they defeated the skaven who had defeated the forge owners and how have ossiarched the skaven warp weapons  in their own image.

You may now breath a sigh of relief and carry on..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alghero81 said:

About that. Last year I wrote an article about it, mind you before the last price rise but in percentage grew only 2% on average per army as far as I remember.

If you are interested: https://ageofminiatures.com/warhammer-army-cost/

Thanks for that, very informative, and so really the price to play is no different to the price of a fantasy army of old now.

In fact the only real change is that AoS finally went the way of 40k with the minimum battle line requirement being three units of which pretty much meant three boxes of something, rather than of old where 25% of your army had to be battleline and for the likes of goblin and skaven players that was a massive spend on core troop boxes.

14 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Thanks for that, very informative, and so really the price to play is no different to the price of a fantasy army of old now.

In fact the only real change is that AoS finally went the way of 40k with the minimum battle line requirement being three units of which pretty much meant three boxes of something, rather than of old where 25% of your army had to be battleline and for the likes of goblin and skaven players that was a massive spend on core troop boxes.

Yes exactly, of course summoning armies have a hidden cost on top and result to be more expensive. There are still few really competitive but cheap armies like FEC and in some sort Beastclaw Raiders

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone who’s expecting a preview next Saturday? I’m anticipating it’s possible they will show of the teaser Lumineth models ready for a possible march release? 

I think the next focus is Sororitas and Drukhari and I'm not going to say anything, we had a week full Aos with interesting articles.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I would not expect Lumineth that fast, I'd wager something 40K first. Probably the big Killteam box with the new Marines and Necron models inside it. 

By preview I meant the livestreams I’m not sure if there was confusion. Not the this week at Warhammer which would announce the preview. I’m expecting 40K next then BR Teclis with the Lumineth models potentially.

14 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I wont expect a Preview until sometime mid to late April. Time enough to get all the currently Previewed AOS, Underworlds, 40K and Kill Team out of the way and then having had the majority of Cursed City minis previewed they show off the entire box. 

I would say that this next week will be light on contents, and Drukhari will be announced on Sunday, to be preordered on the last Saturday of February (and, thus, available in March) alongside the Seraphon Warband. And then, either that weekend or the next, a new preview to show BR: Teclis, some of the new Lumineth units and start shedding some more light on the future Codexes of 40k (after Drukhari we have no idea of which is the next one incoming), releases and so.

Edited by Thaliontil

53 minutes ago, Overread said:

I would not expect Lumineth that fast, I'd wager something 40K first. Probably the big Killteam box with the new Marines and Necron models inside it. 

And seraphon warband for WU I think, at that same time they did put on preorder Slaves to darkness warband 1 month ago.