The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Enoby said:

I agree - the book isn't bad by any means, |---| it's like someone has had a proper look at the battletome and sorted out the issues of the old one

I wish I could see this the way you do.. 

But no, here are some of my problems with the new book.. Mind you, none of my complaints are aimed at power level. 

This is not a comprehensive list, but something I wrote last night off the top of my head:

-Seeker/Exalted Chariots and Hellflayers not differentiated? 
-Daemonettes still have little to no synergy within the army? 
-Slaangors be Slaangors, let's not talk about those.. 
-Keeper weapon options not changed to be more engaging interesting or internally balanced between each other.
-Twinsouls, a unit where not a single guy has the same loadout on the miniature has 1 weapon profile?
-A large portion of the new mortal units have the exact same boring, and with very little impact rule of MWs on 6s to wound (some are not even in addition).
-None to very little changes to old battalions which come off as uninspired. 
-Some small spell changes but none which are interesting (no new spells on old warscrolls).

Syll'eske got more interesting though, cool :)

This was just off the top of my head.. I'm sure I could find more, so while the new models are cool, and will spice up the look of the army, and our DP changes seem cool and way more simple to micro manage (count together).. 
I am very very very disappointed in the new book.. I suspect the FAQ team did the book tbh, they lacked data :D:P

9 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

It's ridiculous the mounted archers have 4 wounds. Double a seeker or hellstrider? More than a deathrider or chaos knight? Just downright bizarre. The sort of thing you'd say was a typo on first glance...but not even GW could be that incompetent, so somebody somewhere thought it made sense. 

Maybe the 4th wound of Slaangors spilled out the pot onto the seeker warscroll.

It's in keeping with Idoneth Eels, which are also 4 wounds despite being weedier than a chaos knight. The strange thing is the unit of 5, I feel like it would've been less controversial if seekers were a unit of 3x 4 wounders. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love what I have read so far.

Good for the overall balance, good for the game and good for people playing against Slaanesh. Just everybody can have fun with this tome, awesome. And yes, I am serious.

Edited by rosa
  • Like 2

And DONE!

In the end I've had to pass on the DoK battletome and doubled down on Slaanesh stuff with 3 boxes of the new seekers. It's not as if I can get out to game at present and the Slaanesh stuff is just more exciting this time around, plus has more changes in the book. I'll certainly pick up the DoK book once my budget recovers somewhat. I also have to keep remembering that there's the BL big event next weekend and I really want a chance at getting the Xenos 2 book. 

Overall I'm excited for Slaanesh. Right now there's some worries about some units here and there, but by and large the biggest thing for me is that the book doesn't seem to have a single power combo like it did before. Before you took all Keepers and you were very very powerful doing that and then you summoned more Keepers. Cool because they are fantastic models, but at the same time it meant it was a total 1 trick battletome. This new one has people talking about mortal heavy armies; demon heavy; seeker; mixed; allied etc... There's a lot of chat about a lot of different ways to take the book and that, to me, is the hallmark of a good Battletome with good internal balance between the different elements. Yes there might be some winners and losers in that and some might need a shift in points up or down. Overall though its looking healthy and balance with others Tombs will be interesting to see. 

In the end I think its a good all round book right now and its heading in the correct direction - flatter internal balance that presents smaller gains and losses for different composition choices which thus favours variety of builds and real choice for the player. 

• Like 6

Prices have gone up, but they are roughly in-line with existing prices. The only one I dislike is the Seekers and, like the Lumineth, I dislike GW shifting from the £35 into the £42 pricepoint for cavalry. It feels like a lot for what is in the end only 5 models. Yes they are bigger, but they are now over double the cost of the other seeker models for the same number of models. That's a BIG increase. 

It's a price I'm paying (through 3rd party stores) but its not a price I'm happy with. It's honestly the first one in a while (after lumineth) that I've gone "WOW Ok GW perhaps that is a price too far". Sadly its hard to convey that information to GW in a meaningful way when I am also paying that price (and when I know that protest "not buying" would require an actual united effort to achieve any impact). I am tempted to write to GW to express my feelings. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Overread said:

Prices have gone up, but they are roughly in-line with existing prices. The only one I dislike is the Seekers and, like the Lumineth, I dislike GW shifting from the £35 into the £42 pricepoint for cavalry. It feels like a lot for what is in the end only 5 models. Yes they are bigger, but they are now over double the cost of the other seeker models for the same number of models. That's a BIG increase. 

It's a price I'm paying (through 3rd party stores) but its not a price I'm happy with. It's honestly the first one in a while (after lumineth) that I've gone "WOW Ok GW perhaps that is a price too far". Sadly its hard to convey that information to GW in a meaningful way when I am also paying that price (and when I know that protest "not buying" would require an actual united effort to achieve any impact). I am tempted to write to GW to express my feelings. 

Yeah I agree, the gluton has gone from £65 for stuff like katakros and the Moontain to £74 which is a weird in between price. 

thankfully with the Lumineth I got the cavalry for £25 as they were part of the limited edition box that’s meant lots of spruces on eBay. But yeah although the seekers are stunning and they do look bigger I think but it’s ridiculous pricing, if I wanted a cavalry based army it would cost a lot more than infantry.

im praying the new Lumineth stuff follows existing stuff at worse case not these new prices

The only bonus is that the new cavalry are 200ponts for the blades and near that for the blissbarbs. So they are very much an elite option. I wonder if that has been a component in their pricing at least since I suspect that, barring a very niche list, you won't likely find room to fit more than 2 or so of either type into a force easily. Even 3 of a single type in a unit, whilst hitting hard, is 600 ish points which is a big chunk. Still at 4 wounds they are at least survivable. 

11 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Interesting tidbit. I was lurking the GW site when the little blerb advertising the Broken Realm boxes states,

"As the Soul Wars draw to a close, a terrible new era is about to begin..."

Certainly reads like the prelude to a new edition doesn't it?

This is major!! I'm still of the mind that 3.0 will drop this year, it just may drop slightly delayed so instead of June/July it may end up being August/September.

10 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

The depravity summoning mechanics seem to be really weird and may be throwing points off substantially for things like Hellstriders. Precisely because they are fast, hit like wet noodles, are relatively durable, and were very low points for a unit...that ties together to make them very good at generating 2 points of depravity a turn for a bargain basement cost. The only thing I can think of is that some testing showed that spamming them generated too much depravity. But they couldn't make them better and cost more, because that would tread on the toes of their new (and hideously expensive) version. So they ended up in this weird halfway house where they now do basically nothing for their points except generate depravity. 

More broadly, I am not at all sure that this depravity mechanic is going to be any less problematic than the old one, just in different ways. I wish they'd get off this summoning kick, it causes problems in almost every book it crops up in. 

I agree by 100%
it‘s puzzling that summoning suddenly is the most important aspect of the army..

4 hours ago, Klamm said:

Maybe the 4th wound of Slaangors spilled out the pot onto the seeker warscroll.

It's in keeping with Idoneth Eels, which are also 4 wounds despite being weedier than a chaos knight. The strange thing is the unit of 5, I feel like it would've been less controversial if seekers were a unit of 3x 4 wounders. 

Eels should never have been 4 wounds to begin with. And don’t even get me started on the fact they’re STILL undercosted especially with Volturnos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

These new prices are what killed Sons Of Behemat for me. I still look at them every now and then and go ‘these are cool models and id like to play them’ but $380nz is just unbelievable. I’ve seen people try to dismiss the price by comparing them to 40K knights, but knights are a hell of a lot cheaper ($220nz) unless you go for the Castellan? ($330nz)

• Like 4

Is a Destruction storyline seeming likely AOS3? Would be cool to see Bonesplitters revamped or something, I’ve never been an ork person but I think I might start an ork army if they are like the new warband, not sure though the range would need to be ace. 

On prices just to let everyone know the first AOS survey has been a massive hit and we have almost 1000 responses so on Tuesday it will be followed up with a Survey on prices this time it’s going to be more scientific based on feedback! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

THE AGE OF MEN IS OVER, THE TIME OF THE ORRUK HAS COME!! WAAAAGH!!

and with it the new AoS3 price point of 125 bones.

10 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

These new prices are what killed Sons Of Behemat for me. I still look at them every now and then and go ‘these are cool models and id like to play them’ but $380nz is just unbelievable. I’ve seen people try to dismiss the price by comparing them to 40K knights, but knights are a hell of a lot cheaper ($220nz) unless you go for the Castellan? ($330nz)

What's the average buy in price now for an AoS army?, 350-400 gpb for a nice full fat 2000 point army?

As long as sales continue and people buy the prices will keep ramping   i think we're back to Warhammer fantasy levels of investment now, but as always, we can always just have less or do without.  With any luxury consumer good, you pay what you pay. It's not a necessity and we just have to decide if it's worth that much to us.  

But back on topic...

I'm interested to see where the current Broken realms story arc leads.   the latest novel Stormvault hints that there is a great evil awakening so maybe that will have some pointers and clues.  Please don't let it be yet another dead thing to rule them all.

3 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Is a Destruction storyline seeming likely AOS3? Would be cool to see Bonesplitters revamped or something, I’ve never been an ork person but I think I might start an ork army if they are like the new warband, not sure though the range would need to be ace. 

On prices just to let everyone know the first AOS survey has been a massive hit and we have almost 1000 responses so on Tuesday it will be followed up with a Survey on prices this time it’s going to be more scientific based on feedback! 

Have you, presented the results?

On topic, I think it would be neat if aos3 make smaller armies /1200 points or so relevant.

• Like 1