The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Besides Hedonites, Kurnothi are my second most hoped after army.

That being said, we are now talking about quite a lot of new armies.

GW has always had stories or even one off miniatures of certain factions that were  never properly fleshed out as standalone factions.

Remember the Darkoath from previous WH Quests

• Sad 1

That's a good looking Aelf!! Really liking the braids as opposed to the, imo, goofy hair on the Kurnothi warband. 

Cursed City is looking great! Cant wait!! Buy my goods in the sales/trades sub-forum so I have money set aside folks!!😄

I'd wager that Kurnothi will be rolled into a newly titled tome like Orruk Warclans with Sylvaneth though as opposed to their own.

1 hour ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Once again, out of the three endless spell models, it is the one I like the less which has the better rules   😂 ( the swords)

I think that of the three rules previewed the heart is by far the best. Of course it will come down to cost, casting values, and ranges as well. If the sword one has a short range it won't be very good. D3 MW is nothing special, and removing cover is pretty niche.

The snake one is pretty strong, although it will again depend on cost and range. It's basically straight 3 MW against 1 wound troops and gets much better against 2-4 wound troops, putting out an average of 5-6 MW against those wound characteristics. Also keep in mind that it's a slay effect and not actual MW, so it will bypass ward saves and other damage prevention methods.

EDIT: also, I love the new Kurnothi model. If a future Kurnothi faction has a lot of models with this kind of design as opposed to the mohawk design I'll be a very happy camper

Edited by swarmofseals

I know there’s a lot of talk about the kurnothi being a new faction, but there’s the possibility they would just be an addition to sylvaneth, similar to slanesh mortals and Slanesh demons.  The war cry warband is already sylvaneth, wouldn’t be hard to release a new box of units to coincide with an allerielle broken realms book. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

So far we have sadly not seen any of the cities line merge into a related army and therefore I am not convinced they will merge Kurnothi with the current Wanderers range. But rather I feel they will feature new rules for including 1/4 units of them and continue to have Slyvaenth featured in the Living City. Kind of like what we saw with the Daughters of Khaine in Broken Realms Moarthi.

If Kurnothi get their own book, GW could also go for a Legions of Nagash/Nighthaunt situation, where some or all Wanderers models gain the Kurnothi keyword per errata. Just because we want Wanderes to be playable in Kurnoth Huntlords does not mean they can't stay usable in Cities.

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Kurnothi get their own book, GW could also go for a Legions of Nagash/Nighthaunt situation, where some or all Wanderers models gain the Kurnothi keyword per errata. Just because we want Wanderes to be playable in Kurnoth Huntlords does not mean they can't stay usable in Cities.

I sort of get a feeling that GW kinda wants to do that with the Dark Elf models and Daughters of Khaine. But its kind of stuck on the fact that they've pushed DoK as their own thing really strongly for so long that they are worried about blowback. 

Barring the Dwarves and humans ( who don't have factions outside of cities that they'd easily fit into now) I get a feeling that the old High elf, Dark elf and Wood elf forces are stuck like that. GW has retained the concepts for them but given them basically new armies. High Elves have Lumineth; Dark Elves have Daughters of Khaine and perhaps Malarion's forces; Wood elves have the steadily teased Kurnothi. 

It remains to be seen what might happen; it could be that GW steadily does what they did for the HE and strips the models from the range and replaces them in concept; or they might do what they did for Legions of Nagash and hive them off into their own army; or they might even just straight up pull the units and combine them. Interestingly Dark Elves do retain most of their original model range, they are missing a few like the bolt-thrower and a few leaders, but a good chunk of their core is still around. Whilst newer DoK "only" players might not be as keen to see their temple woman army merged into an old Dark Elf style army; I can envision old Dark Elf players loving a return of the army. 

That said DoK really is only 2 models out of the old army - a cauldron and the witches - two options that aren't needed if the Dark Elves split off on their own. 

Cities remains a bit of an enigma as to what GW's plans for its future are. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I know there’s a lot of talk about the kurnothi being a new faction, but there’s the possibility they would just be an addition to sylvaneth, similar to slanesh mortals and Slanesh demons.  The war cry warband is already sylvaneth, wouldn’t be hard to release a new box of units to coincide with an allerielle broken realms book. 

While I would love "god of the hunt" destruction elves, I think you are correct. Lumineth has been parsed out into separate subfaction releases and books like warclans lump in multiple factions. This seems to be how they are thinking about future releases now.

Having said that, it is entirely possible that kurnothi could have enough variety to have the option of standing alone or united as Ironjaws and Bonesplitterz do.

Assuming the underworld's warband is a taster, we have at least 3 kits: sword/bow dual-kit battleline, centaurs, cats. And with the debatably normal elf kurnothi from CC, the surviving wanderer units from cities would likely be included.

10 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Going forht I'd love the more genereic factions like Freeguild, Dispossesed, Wanderers etc. to remain playable even after changing their keywords and creating whole new factions. That would just add to the variety of CoS without ever requirng to produce Models specifically for CoS.

Example: Wanderers get rolled into Kurnothi, then all kurnothi should get the CoS keyword as well just to expand the Cities of Sigmar (Though a rewording to Cities of Order would be the next logical step). :)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, dekay said:

New take: It would seem that the main distinction between Wanderers and Kurnothi, at this point, depends of if they returned to live with the Sylvaneth after Alarielle has forgiven them their betrayal. The new lady is mentioned to have lived in the place known only to  sylvaneth, which would be impossible before Alarielle changed her mind. 

It could just be that the Kurnothi are the descendants of Wanderers who didn't abandon Ghyran to live in Azyr, but continued to fight with the Sylvaneth against Nurgle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Going forht I'd love the more genereic factions like Freeguild, Dispossesed, Wanderers etc. to remain playable even after changing their keywords and creating whole new factions. That would just add to the variety of CoS without ever requirng to produce Models specifically for CoS.

Example: Wanderers get rolled into Kurnothi, then all kurnothi should get the CoS keyword as well just to expand the Cities of Sigmar (Though a rewording to Cities of Order would be the next logical step). :)

I remember when Lumineth were first announced I suspected this very thing. I had assumed that the rest of the High Elves were squatted and that Phoenix guard were going to be enfolded into the new army but still playable in COS, I was very disappointed that they didn't follow through. However, I assume they will have an allied ruleset much like Morathi in the upcoming Teclis book. I just think that this should become formalized in the army books for the specific factions and added to the army sections on the website. 

Edited by Neverchosen

3 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

FBM0fzc3w3G54Ech.jpg

Looks great!

Wonderful Model !!! 

I love the Warhammer Quest aesthetic, it really nails down what AOS can and could be IMO, from the Knight Questor to the Barbarian Darkoath and that Kurnothi Ranger. 

I also am quite fond of her (relatively) toned down look compared to her Beastgrave counterparts ; they really could form a nice addition to the Sylvaneth and/or Cities of Sigmar ranges. I could see that for the 3rd Ed. Sylvaneth Battleome, as I don't think Broken Realms : Alarielle will have models (other than maybe 1-2 Heroes, like BR : Morathi)...

Did I say I love the Warhammer Quest aesthetic ??? 😛 

• Like 7

I could barely focus on the article once I saw Soulblight mentioned. However, I don’t see any mention of this.

She’s called a Kurnothi rebel, which while not against the Kurnothi has split from them and has a lack of Hooves or animal aspects and the general hunter vibe, yes bow but not the wild rider look. I reckon the further Kurnothi stray from the path of the Kurnoth/Hunters the less they look like wild animals?

So the stronger their link to Kurnoth the bestial their aspect, or possibly, whatthey have hunted/eaten (a’la Kroot) they take on aspects of them?

Edited by Kronos

6 minutes ago, Chaos Shepard said:

Wouldn't that make the more human ones strait cannibals. 

If you look at it in that they look solely as to what they eat or hunt yes- I was coming at it from the perspective that they lose their bestial nature and start becoming more Elfish/Elven again bar the odd trait. 

4 hours ago, madmac said:

They don't all necessarily need hooves.

When Beastgrave came out, BL also released a short story "The Warden in the Mountain" that is about a group of Wanderers taking a test in beastgrave. Some of them have hooves and/or horns, which is taken as a sign of divine favor but is otherwise unremarkable.

I think this is probably the way they'll be taken, where "Kurnothi" isn't an elf-adjacent 'species' (like the Sylvaneth) or a category for a particular type of mutant elf (like the Scathborn) but simply refers to worshippers of Kurnoth. Some of these elves get blessings in the form of changed limbs or bodies but these aren't their defining thing or rigourously systematised: one might have antlers while another older initiate in the mysteries of the hunting god might have the body of a deer.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1