The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I think 3k was made because wh:tw was gaining ground in China.

I don't know anything about Total Warhammer's popularity in China. I know China is an already large (and still growing) market in video games, and I suspect that's why Three Kingdoms was made, in addition to the considerable cross-market appeal with western gamers who think Romance of the 3 Kingdoms is cool due to exposure to popular games like the Dynasty Warriors series. As in most things, the real reason is multi-factorial. Similar to this decision to input Cathay. Which, judging by the overwhelmingly positive reception I've seen, was a financially sound decision.

I do wish Chorfs had been a launch faction, but I do not doubt they will be DLC at least.

54 minutes ago, MaatithoftheBrand said:

Just off the top of my head, what units do we "know" existed in the lore for Cathay in The World That Was?

There's the classic Blackpowder Rocket artillery piece, and the Empire Helstrom Rocket Battery unit entries continued to reference them being based off of Cathayan fireworks well into the final editions of the game.
Tamurkhan has a side adventure in the narrative where Sayl the Faithless goes and attacks an outpost of the Grand Empire of Cathay in the Mountains, and they have guardian lion/dog statues and longswordsmen in ornate armour (which is further supported by the most famous Cathayan exports in Warhammer Fantasy/Mordheim apart from silks being the renowned Cathayan Longswords). I think Tamurkhan also mentions them having celestial mages, which the Ogre Kingdoms books also suggest, given it is the Dragon Emperor's astromancers who help bring a comet (that ends up being/becoming the Great Maw) down to stop the Ogres becoming a threat to Cathay.
Then in the Ogre Kingdoms book there are Monks with martial arts and magical/semi-unbelievable powers, and the Eshin learned their shadow arts in Cathay, which also implies some form of ninja clan type faction remained a part of Cathayan lore until the end of Warhammer Fantasy.
Swordsaints/Monks/Living Temple Statues/Ninjas/Rockets/Lore of Heaven Wizards
Anything I'm missing from actual sources?

Well, if you want to go back to WFB 3rd edition, you're also missing the Ki-rin - unicorns made of lightning. The Temple Dogs were mentioned in later lore like you pointed out but were in 3rd as well, so maybe the Ki-rin could exist still or be pulled from as well. Nippon had an army list in 3rd as well which was said to have overlap with Cathay, but it was pretty much just samurai and ninjas. The 3rd edition rulebook claimed that a source book specifically for Cathay and Nippon was in development. It says it in the rulebook when discussing Cathay. I know its 3rd edition, but maybe they'll pull ideas from it if it really was in development.

Fast-forwarding to lore in later editions, not a part of Cathay, but hobgoblins are in the region as well, I think even as being the only greenskin in the area. They're constantly invading Cathay. Makes me think Chaos Dwarf DLC is a definite as Chaos Dwarfs also use Hobgoblins as units, so from a technical perspective could re-use the same animations and models.

The 6th edition rulebook had a lot of Cathay info. It said they fought off a Chaos invasion with one-horned Ogres and golden dragons. It also said their lands are home to mystical monks who can kill with one touch and "strange monkey warriors" living in the Mountains of Heaven.

I really hope we get to see these monkey warriors just because I want to know if it meant they're warriors who have a fighting style like monkeys or if they're literal monkeys.

I can't recall which book, I think it was 8th edition but I don't have it on hand. I remember one rulebook said they also have armies of terracotta warriors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mitzrael said:

Ulfenkarn will be my first Warhammer Quest game, so I hope the box will not be limited. And as I understand GW will be releasing a few  expansions later in the future, with new minis and rules, correct? And all of the minis will have warscrolls for the main game, right? Noob questions :).

The box probably won't be available indefinitely, but it won't be a limited print run and should be around for a good long time (You can still get copies of the previous WHQ game direct from GWs site, for example) so I wouldn't worry too much about missing the boat there.

They haven't directly stated yet, but if it follows the pattern of the previous WHQ then there will be a spread of expansions of varying size and scope for a year or so after release.  All the minis should have rules for use in AoS, but they're normally fairly basic/weak for the most part, but it's enough to get them on the table if you want.

• Thanks 1

So, judging from the Slaanesh lore article a few days ago, GW will announce the Battletome this sunday (and Daughters of Khaine too?). What are the chances we get all the kits in one go? Myrmydesh, Slaangors, Blissbarb Archers, Seekers, Sigvald, Shardspeaker and Glutos, or am I missing something? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

So, judging from the Slaanesh lore article a few days ago, GW will announce the Battletome this sunday (and Daughters of Khaine too?). What are the chances we get all the kits in one go? Myrmydesh, Slaangors, Blissbarb Archers, Seekers, Sigvald, Shardspeaker and Glutos, or am I missing something? 

I think, with only one release every two weeks, it'll be a full release of all of the new stuff. It'll be big, but that's better than having four weeks taken up by one release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

The new death rattle stuff looks cool. I consider OBR more bone golems than skeletons as they are just mashed up bones. Do prefer OBR for the eastern look though 

I’m inclined to disagree, the overall concept of the OBR is brilliant, and for the most part the range is very good, the bodies, Katakros is a work of art, the catapult, and the Harvester. But those faces are such a let down, dopey smiles and grimaces - vorkmortian, Zandatos, even the mortian all very good - I just really fault the main line units. Even covering the features with gs to make them look like automatons is better. I also think the Bone Golem aspect could have been pushed to a darker side, lots of clean cuts and edges that stick out like a sore thumb to me when compared with all other dead in the existing  range. But horses for courses, more undead for eveyone, so all sides are content 🤘😁

• Like 3

Having been living in China for the past few years, GW would have to be careful in its expansion there.

Anything mainstream that pertains to the supernatural (i.e. ghosts, etc.) is banned in China, and Slaanesh-type imagery might be on shaky ground too (i.e. anything pertaining to homosexuality/transexuality). Also, religious symbols are pretty much banned, so there might be some Sister of Battle (etc.) imagery that is also pretty close to the mark in that regard.

As of now, GW kinda flies under the radar there. There was a large TK army (which contained the disallowed skeletons, obviously) in the window of the Shenzhen store, and a large Nighthaunt army on display inside. However, with increased visibility, they will be under more scrutiny from the CCP.

In terms of Cathay's aesthetics, obviously Imperial China was hated by the early CCP, but the current generation of CCP leaders doesn't hate this history to the same extent and Four Kingdoms (etc.) era dramas are everywhere (so long as they do not contain too much sexual/political dabauchery, of course).

One constant ballache is spray cans and chemicals, which you cannot travel with anywhere as they are seen as a terrorism hazard. I had to smuggle cans of primer from Hong Kong when I needed them, and planned to fake ignorance of the rules if caught. Your bags are constantly checked even within China, and you will be relieved of that bottle of airbrush thinner or that box of epoxy resin that you may have had with you in transit.

These are all obstacles to the hobby taking off over there.

Even this forum is blocked in China, lol.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

I was under the impression that Skeletons weren't banned, however the ratings department that allows things in/out is notoriously inconsistent and some staff have banned using skeletons as the argument hence why some products don't include them and others do in the Chinese market. 

I think the only constant is if they don't want your product there for whatever reason what so ever, they will just ban it. Heck Whinny the Pooh got banned because of memes. 

As for Ossiarchs I think their main problem is that they don't have enough models. Right now they work really well, but the range is really tiny. You've 1 infantry, 1 cavalry, 2 elites (which is really 1 with a head and weapon swap); a heavy artillery and a support monster. It's basically the bare-bones minimum. I think once they get a second wave of models like Lumineth are getting, Ossiarchs will find many more fans. Personally I'd love to see more of the construct angle explored as I think that really is their power; more monsters, more beasts, more machine beasts of bone. 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

Personally I'd love to see more of the construct angle explored as I think that really is their power; more monsters, more beasts, more machine beasts of bone. 

I don’t understand if they are constructs and they have “living” catapults why can’t they have archery for example...

You did forget Morghasts however, with a good warscroll rewrite they are nice miniatures 

Just now, alghero81 said:

I don’t understand if they are constructs and they have “living” catapults why can’t they have archery for example...

You did forget Morghasts however, with a good warscroll rewrite they are nice miniatures 

You're right I did forget Morghasts!

As for no archers I think its just that GW hasn't added them yet as a concept; often you'll see armies (esp small ones) tend to have specific niches that they fill really well which lets them work with a smaller range of models. I'm sure in the fullness of time we'll see Ossiarchs gain more and more options and tricks. Heck Slaanesh didn't have any ranged units what so ever until the harp player last year and until the new Blissbarbs coming out later this month. Granted part of that was that traditionally Slaanesh was part of Demons of Chaos and so didn't need its own ranged units as you could bring ranged units from the other gods in and the army expected you to use multiple gods unless you were being a touch fluffy or min-maxing a specific tactic. 

Of course Ossiarchs might not do archery like others; instead of bows they might build huge walking ballista units or snake constructs that fire skulls or something else. One of the joys of them being a living construct army is that they can do both insane designs and regular level headed stuff. We've got the crawling trebuchet and walking corpse cart all alongside regular rank and file spear infantry and cavalry. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Kronos said:

I’m inclined to disagree, the overall concept of the OBR is brilliant, and for the most part the range is very good, 

This is exactly how I feel it's just the execution of the idea that I just cant get on board with. I'm even stuck with a small force my friend gave me that im trying to sell on the cheap!!

If the entire range had been more like Katakros or his samurai bodyguard fella I'd of been on board but it just feels too cheesy to be this ancient elite force.... To each their own though. 

I'm beyond excited to see what Gravelords brings to the table though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mitzrael said:

Ulfenkarn will be my first Warhammer Quest game, so I hope the box will not be limited. And as I understand GW will be releasing a few  expansions later in the future, with new minis and rules, correct? And all of the minis will have warscrolls for the main game, right? Noob questions :).

I don't think it'll be limited, at least not for a few years. Once the next Warhammer Quest rolls around they might discontinue it ALA Silver Tower and Hammerhall but you won't need to be up at 10am spamming F5 desperately.

There might be stock issues initially though. A lot of independent stockists didn't get resupplies of Blood Bowl for a short while, although you could/can get it from them direct without issue (just no spicy discount).

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'm wondering, with most of the rumour engines linking to WHQ, does this lessen the chance of a big Death release as it seems most Death rumour engines are for this?

Hard to make predicitons either way. The last few big releases (Hedonites and Lumineth wave 2) had very few rumour engine teasers. The leaked Gravelords Vampire was not teased at all.

At the same time, historically Quest miniatures have partially found their way into AoS proper. And GW does not seem to be shy about linking Cursed City to Gravelords in their latest article.

I, personally, still stand by my original prediction of a fairly large Soulblight release, even though the majority of Death rumour engines have been solved by Cursed City.