The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Godsworn Hunt not having Underworlds cards I can live with because they're no longer legal competitively, but Khagra's Ravagers literally aren't even out yet, so I know if I was hoping to get into Underworlds afterwards and found out I had to rebuy the entire Warband just to get the cards to make them playable I would not be happy.

The strange thing is, they could have Magore's Fiends or Garrek's Reavers instead (to have 2 old Underworlds Warbands in the Box).

Just came from the Total War trailer.

I literally screamed with excitement when I saw Cathay.

EDIT: I remember reading about little blurbs about Cathay in White Dwarf all the way back in 6th edition Fantasy and always coming up with ideas of what their army would like.  I remember foolishly thinking after Ogre Kingdoms was announced that Cathay was going to be the next new army.  My inner 12 year old is freaking out.   

Edited by King Under the Mountain
  • Like 3

I never, in my wildest dreams, ever thought we would see Cathay in any format again.

No word of a lie, glazed through the article in my usual once over before a detailed read, and when I caught sight of that Jade Dragon my heart began to race, an excitement I have not had in a while. Turns out I’m more amped to return to the Old World that I anticipated, I’ve embraced AoS whole heartedly, but perhaps what I like most is the charcter and story arcs that orginate from the Old World. Champions becoming Gods, races splitting or aligning, elves forsaking their gods and Gods being Captured and Imprisoned. It’s a fantastic Mythos, but for it to work it needs that layer of the old world. I appreciate Space Wolves more in the last decade because I now know of their history as the Emperors executioners during the Heresy.  

Now totally off topic - but GW stop god-blocking me and please, for the Love of Azyr give me a Sigmar model-Optional beard no beard, and optional Ghal Maraz, I mean, it should have been like Priority number one, I’d have had stormcast falling out my Wardrobe if they had.

Anyway, very cool, if The same concepts as the Pld Word are be8ng fpr Total war, then is there a chance, albeit small that we see some game to miniature overlaps for others races (cross fingers, toes and eyes for Vampire Coast Models).

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It is absolutely wild that Kislev and Cathay, of all factions, are headlining a WHFB game. If you said that ten years ago, you would have been laughed at.

Ogres when though

and Chaos Dwarfs. Dark Lands aren't mentioned at all and this part on the map is blank.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I mean, this absolutely looks like the spear-woman will be fine 🤣

Don't disrespect Jagathra. She only has a pointy stick, but she's also the kind of a person who goes to the fight equipped only with a pointy stick. Jagathra's got this. It's the warrior that should be afraid. :D

22 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

GW generally seems to make it harder than it needs to be to get into their "real" games from their spin-offs. Warcry is a good example. It should be an easy entry into AoS, but it does not work well for that in practice because all the terrain you need for that game pushes the price of entry up so much. It's a good game in it's own right, but it could work a lot better as a small scale intro to AoS.

remember as it has been said before, this kind of products are to be sold in general bookstores, malls, etc. Not in speciallised stores. 

We tend to think that entry point means that you buy some game and you can repurpose part of the contents into "bigger" ones. But generally speaking, entry point means that you get something that is easy to use and peak your interest to then invest into something more complex. 

We tend always to think from the insider side and forget that this products are for a totally different kind of people.

• Like 2

Just now, Gotz said:

remember as it has been said before, this kind of products are to be sold in general bookstores, malls, etc. Not in speciallised stores. 

We tend to think that entry point means that you buy some game and you can repurpose part of the contents into "bigger" ones. But generally speaking, entry point means that you get something that is easy to use and peak your interest to then invest into something more complex. 

We tend always to think from the insider side and forget that this products are for a totally different kind of people.

Fair point. However, I still think it would be nice if crossover was easier. There is definitely a demographic that wants to try AoS, but does not want to commit to starting a full army. It's just kind of sad that when people ask "Is Warcry a good way to start AoS?"  the answer has to be "No". Because it definitely could have been a good entry point. I'd even go so far as to say that there is no really great way at the moment to start small in AoS at the moment..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m guessing that ogres will get their time through an dlc.

They might just be a starting faction, considering the previous two games had four factions to choose from before cracking open the DLC option.

TW:WH1 - empire, dwarves, greenskins, vampire counts

TW:WH2 - high elves, dark elves, lizardmen, skaven 

TW: WH3 - kislev, Cathay, god-aligned chaos (folks were saying demons but looks like it’s mortals too)... ogres?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

They might just be a starting faction, considering the previous two games had four factions to choose from before cracking open the DLC option.

TW:WH1 - empire, dwarves, greenskins, vampire counts

TW:WH2 - high elves, dark elves, lizardmen, skaven 

TW: WH3 - kislev, Cathay, god-aligned chaos (folks were saying demons but looks like it’s mortals too)... ogres?

The FAQ they put out today says the starting factions are Kislev, Cathay, and the 4 Chaos Gods. There won't be any other base factions, but there will be a pre-order DLC army.

I'd fully expect both ogres and chaos dwarves as DLC factions. I'd also be rather surprised if Araby doesn't make an appearance too at some point.

I think CA (the game devs) said that there was no plans for Araby (around the time Vampire Coast came out).

Cathay I think was spurred on by Total War's large chinese fanbase, appealing to GW wanting to enter the asian market (see the gatcha style 40k releases they did im Japan as an example).

Cathay is definitely because of the China market; there is very little argument for it from a story/lore perspective, and certainly not for making it one of the core factions in the release when Ogres and Chaos Dwarves aren't even included. 

I don't think you are going to see Araby in a TW game because of concerns about causing offense. And it's even more peripheral to the End Times story than Cathay (though more central to the old world generally), so it's all potential downside with very little upside. 

Edited by yukishiro1