The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think if we do it will either be Abhorash or an AoS OC. The former's been namedropped a few times and is a pretty popular figure to say he's never had a model, both in Fantasy and AoS. Whilst it's possible they do just say "Neferata is already their Mortarch" they seem pretty happy with releasing diorama-esq centrepiece characters with new armies and I don't think they'd buck the trend.

It's why I bring it up. The trend at this point now is very much having big centrepiece models - and it's been fairly common now. 

And if it's death, the trend seems to very much be each army needs a new flashy Mortarch.

Even OBR, an army that would most certainly fit Arkhan, got a new boi.

32 minutes ago, Enoby said:

People would go crazy for Vlad, no doubt, but maybe it'd be better if we had a few new characters instead. 

To answer these both, though, about the potential OC new Mortarch;

If we are right, and Death's narrative ends with a Civil War with Nagash vs (someone), I can't see it being an OC character that's only recently introduced - and many of the characters we've had around for a while generally tie over from the old world.

The ones we haven't, Kata and Olynder, seem fairly happy where they are - it'd be a bit of a left turn for them to be civil war buddies

In that section, though, we've only got a few options -

Abhorash is a brilliant shout - vampire riding around on Dorghar-sized super Zombie Dragon and you're in the clear.

Ushoran - I will keep saying this until it happens.

Bringing back someone new - we've got who, Krell, Kemmler, Vladdy and Isabella left from TOW?

Out of all of those?

Abhorash is probably the most likely - Vladdy would be fan service. 

And I'm a huge sucker for fan service

28 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Edit: I may have misinterpreted the quoted post. I think in terms of gender division in warfare, vampires have no reason to do so.

Thanks here, was just about to splurge to make it make some more sense.

I've seen way too many posts today breaking down whether or not the model is a female or male - which just feels a bit weird purely because creepy monster is gonna rip ya throat out regardless and it's a cool model. 

My apologies if anyone caught it on the wrong foot - I took a mistake of stepping on some ugh 'alternative' forums and saw some ugh 'choice' language used about the character if they was female that had set me on the wrong foot.

Edited by Dreddships
  • Like 1

Aesthetic tastes are So subjective arguing about it becomes kind of meaningless. Gw sculpting has evolved to the point that it is very rare for them to do an objectively bad model. The space wolf wulfen was probably the last release that falls into that category. 

Nowadays it is just a matter of whether the aesthetic appeals to you or not. One of the things I love about AoS is how they really push the boat out in terms of creativity. There are people who will hate the battle kangaroos and others for whom it will be the best thing ever. Neither group is wrong. 

I absolutely despise everything Nurgle but my own sister recently finished painting a GUO and loves it. 

As for this forum loving everything thats just categorically untrue. There are six threads on this page with an overtly critical premise. I just think that a large proportion of the the people who are big enough fans of AoS to join this forum are down for the wackiness that gw is coming out with these days, while more people on dakka and the like prefer the traditional Warhammer aesthetic. 

To get back on track with rumours, the little snippet about heroes to face the undead has got me excited that we might actually get a new Warhammer Quest reveal. It was silver tower more than anything else that really kicked off my interest in AoS and the minis in that box were spectacular. A new version with actual expansions and regular white dwarf updates like Blackstone fortress got would be amazing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

So what you're saying is, we need a large werewolf monster? Otherwise they're more like chihuahuas to the mighty sons of Brodd...

Brodd likes the fur babies regardless if size!! Though a monster sized Werewolf like the one from the 4th(?) Underworld would be amazing.

So it looks like we have a clear idea of what's to come with Decadence and Death, leaving (Da Best) for last, Destruction. I imagine we are still awhile away from seeing what it will be but the mystery April warband definitely seems like something to look forward to.

I have a few speculative ideas of what it could be (in no particular order)

1. Bonesplitterz, would make sense as the logo has a bone look to it, and it would be the first new non ironjaw orruk for AoS and would fit the hunter theme of Direchasm.

2. Spiderfang, would be awesome but not much about the logo screams spider to me, plus it would be the 3rd warband for both Grots and gloomspite.

3. Silent People the one I'm most excited for. Points in favour would be the similarity of the icon to the mask of the silent people and their amber bone equipment, as well as them being teased throughout this Beastgrave and Direchasm. The biggest point against them however is that the katophrane were also teased that way in the first 2 seasons.

Whatever it ends up being though, it will probably be something interesting.

Screenshot_20210119-184738.png

u2pLD5dLWqlDCgjX-1060x596.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The reaction to the Lumineth stuff seemed to largely been, "Is that bleedin' kangaroo cavalry? Crikey, that doesn't look good, fella!" So them emphasising it was their way of doing damage control, showing them at far more flattering angles and throwing self-deprecating shade on the kangaroo memes already spilling out - they're taking back control of the narrative, so to speak.

BkynjFc.png

Compare that to the Vampire who other than the Tactical Rock(tm) appears to have had a largely positive response and people are now hyped up to see what else gets shown off. 

I think that depends where you looked. Reddit was negative initially, and the Lumineth FB group was controversial as always. 

But I think I haven't seen as many "wow, that's awesome, I have to start Lumineth!" reactions before, all because of the "kangaroos". And I don't mean here on TGA or Lumineth specific channels. 

They just seem to be again controversial, same as before. Some people really hate them (but I think it's less than the Alarith). 

Not sure if that was just damage control, could be GW just has more Lumineth models to show on Saturday than Soulblight Gravelords, and had an idea about how to release a funny video reply about the situation. 

• Like 1

So with the dual build hero, new cavalry, new cloud riding wizards and a new spirit at least the Lumineth update is looking pretty big. With a whole new death battletome, broken realms 2 a new death warband for underworlds and possibly Warhammer Quest this is looking like a very heavy focus on AoS for the next preview. 

I have a feeling that this is due to the delays. I think Slaanesh and the Lumineth update where originally scheduled for last year with the soulblight being the big kick off for 2021, but since they sensibly decided to make sure the got new 40k out a soon as possible it has created a bit of a log jam of AoS releases.

• Like 4

I've been warming to the Lumineth lately, and the Kangaroo riders aren't changing that impression. Like the new hero and looking forward to seeing the cloud riders.

I started the hobby in 6th edition and still love the more traditional aesthetic, but I find when a new AoS faction comes out, I would not initially be a fan, but after 6-9 months my opinion is usually changed after I see conversions and alternate paint schemes. Often the studio paint schemes don't do the models justice. 

Saying that, it will be hard to resist a full gothic horror vampire army!

4 hours ago, Dreddships said:

Abhorash is a brilliant shout - vampire riding around on Dorghar-sized super Zombie Dragon and you're in the clear.

Yes i hope this, the big centerpiece, abhorash with his two huge swords riding the huge dragon that he killed and now zombie.

But i guess wont happen seeing how the vampirelord of the pic have the armor black and not red