The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

That's because it is.

Wulf - Wolf

Ulf - ulv (wolf in archaic Swedish and Norwegian)

So here's my theory - Ulfenkarn is Warhamerese for Wolf's Cairn. We get werewolves (ulvar) and Norse/Viking undead. Badabim badabum, thank me later.

Edit: Additional obvious detail I forgot - wolf is in icelandish, the language closest to the language of the Norse, úlfur. So while there's a german link, I think the Norse link is closer considering the draug-like model we saw teased in previous previews.

A new Faction of Norse Zombies and Werewolves?! ****** it that sounds amazing and now its needed!! 

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

So here's my theory - Ulfenkarn is Warhamerese for Wolf's Cairn. We get werewolves (ulvar) and Norse/Viking undead. Badabim badabum, thank me later.

Scandinavian here, this was my first thought as well.

Also, a TLDR from this month's White Dwarf:

Hrunspuul the Hound of the Cairns is a Godbeast and the progenitor, or so legends claim, of the Vyrkos Vampires. It's lair is hidden somewhere in Shyish.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GDD said:

Scandinavian here, this was my first thought as well.

Also, a TLDR from this month's White Dwarf:

Hrunspuul the Hound of the Cairns is a Godbeast and the progenitor, or so legends claim, of the Vyrkos Vampires. It's lair is hidden somewhere in Shyish.

Never thought I'd be excited for a Death release but my god I want wolf-vampires

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

One thing that is disturbing is that in the article they almost exclusively mention new Lumineth miniatures and not really vampires.

Cause the Vampire looks cool and the tauntauns really don't. The hero is okay but the unit doesn't look too hot IMO. I think GW thinks so too. :D

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

One thing that is disturbing is that in the article they almost exclusively mention new Lumineth miniatures and not really vampires.

The reaction to the Lumineth stuff seemed to largely been, "Is that bleedin' kangaroo cavalry? Crikey, that doesn't look good, fella!" So them emphasising it was their way of doing damage control, showing them at far more flattering angles and throwing self-deprecating shade on the kangaroo memes already spilling out - they're taking back control of the narrative, so to speak.

BkynjFc.png

Compare that to the Vampire who other than the Tactical Rock(tm) appears to have had a largely positive response and people are now hyped up to see what else gets shown off. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The reaction to the Lumineth stuff seemed to largely been, "Is that bleedin' kangaroo cavalry? Crikey, that doesn't look good, fella!" So them emphasising it was their way of doing damage control, showing them at far more flattering angles and throwing self-deprecating shade on the kangaroo memes already spilling out - they're taking back control of the narrative, so to speak.

They are hyping the army they have the most on show with a teaser for the Vampire which won't get lots of attention till the weekend reveal event, where it might well dominate.

As for the Kangaroos I'm seeing FAR more liking it than hating it, esp once they calm down and see the running sculpts and realise that they are less roos and more tauntauns 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

BkynjFc.png

Compare that to the Vampire who other than the Tactical Rock(tm) appears to have had a largely positive response and people are now hyped up to see what else gets shown off. 

On the contrary, the reception amongst the Lumineth fanbase seems to have been very positive and I highly doubt GW cares about what a few screeching reactionary grognards think.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

I do want to point out that none of the mounts really look anything like the archers' helmet totem.  While I don't think rider totem and mount have to be the same thing and there can be some artist license.  I do think it is more likely we haven't seen the actual creature that goes with that that totem.

So let‘s hope for a furry dragon Mount thing that looks like the Helmets’ ornaments :D

29 minutes ago, LordAlpharius said:

On the contrary, the reception amongst the Lumineth fanbase seems to have been very positive and I highly doubt GW cares about what a few screeching reactionary grognards think.

I mean TGA  is almost always overwhelmingly positive about just about anything GW produces. The reaction elsewhere from what I've seen was largely negative until they showed off the new angles, at which point it improved - I don't think they'd have been throwing shade with the Australian accents if they'd not picked up the "are they riding kangaroos?" comments on the 'net.

23 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Fantasy lovers are crying and who cares about. This is Age of Sigmar and those are not High elves.

I don't think Fantasy lovers really care about AoS now TOW is a thing.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I mean TGA  is almost always overwhelmingly positive about literally anything GW produces. The reaction elsewhere from what I've seen was largely negative until they showed off the new angles, at which point it improved a bit. 

I don't think Fantasy lovers really care about AoS now TOW is a thing.

But AoS is fantasy?! ;)
And I was thinking more FB and Dakka. And sure some didn't like the blurry photo, that's because it was a blurry photo leak and looked pretty rubbish unless you engaged your imagination. Of course multiple angles and better photos improves things; just the same as improvement happens in seeing a model in reality as opposed to in photos and also yet again when models get painted by different painters. There's a good few people who simply won't like any model painted by GW's style of painters; or who don't like things in phots etc....

Heck personally I "dislike" 3D renderings over photos of actual models (thankfully GW hasn't fallen into that pit; but a good few other brands do make extensive use of 3D images as opposed to actual cast and painted models)

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I mean TGA  is almost always overwhelmingly positive about literally anything GW produces. The reaction elsewhere from what I've seen was largely negative until they showed off the new angles, at which point it improved a bit.

Lol even on reddit the reception was more positive than negative although the initial reception was more mixed than on tga. However, you seem hellbent on bashing Lumineth whenever you get the chance so I'm not surprised you reached that conclusion.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, LordAlpharius said:

Lol even on reddit the reception was more positive than negative although the initial reception was more mixed than on tga. However, you seem hellbent on bashing Lumineth whenever you get the chance so I'm not surprised you reached that conclusion.  

I've barely commented on the Lumineth at all. Think I said including Celennar with Teclis was unnecessary and made a remark about Elf-Hammerers going in the Book of Grudges a week or two ago? 

I think your desire to defend GW is getting you mixed up with somebody else. Besides, I was making an observation with regards to why they focused on the Lumineth and not Vampires in the video.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5

I imagine there’s a fair bit of confirmation bias whether you like or don’t like these things as to the reaction, and the actual reaction is as it always is when new models are shown - some people like it, some people don’t. 

For example, I’ve been flip-flopping on these Taun-Taun things all day, and the reaction has seemed pretty damn mixed to me. 

(That said, I really like the vampire, and the reaction to that has seemed mixed to negative, so maybe I’m talking hogwash). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I dream of the day when we move beyond the "positive opinion=zoomer" "negative opinion=boomer grog" dynamic that plagues this fanbase. It is, of course, only a dream.

all negative opinions are not boomer grov, but a lot of it is unfortunately reactionary grumbling from people who have failed to cope with the death of the old world imo.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, LordAlpharius said:

all negative opinions are not boomer grov, but a lot of it is unfortunately reactionary grumbling from people who have failed to cope with the death of the old world imo.

And a lot of it is reactionary sniping from AoS players who're still mad over the negativity of 1.0 and are bitter The Old World is going to be a thing after spending years gloating that WHFB is dead and 'grogs' need to move on. Both sides are as bad as one another.

Once TOW is out it'll probably (mostly) blow over though and fade into co-existence. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

I don't know if it would make me get a Lumineth army, the mounted arhcers got the cow hat syndrome with super big hats as well. I will give points for that AoS creativity they got going on. We have not seen these creatures before and they make them work pretty well I think. They sort of mirror the new mounted Slaanesh archers in similar 2 legged mounts.

Lumineth players will for sure be happy to get the mounted combat hero and it looks rather nice too, while still being very unique and not just a big golden horse or something, he is in my opinion one of the best models for the faction, if not the best period.

I am more exited to see the new death reveals, the vampire shown is not blowing me away, but I look forward to the potential rest of the line

8 minutes ago, LordAlpharius said:

He's right though - here everything is praised, while at other sites people are less enthusiastic about things. But well, go on, post confused smileys every time someone has a different opinion to yours. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1