The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, sandlemad said:

Not a bad model, has some nice features (the invisible right leg stepping forward), and the concept of her being a literal Blood Bowl widow is amusing, but rather outpaced by the quality of basically the entire Nighthaunt range.

Didnt even notice the leg, what a detail!!

3 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Silly question but is Blood Bowl a fun game even if you don't follow American Football?

I am really tempted to get the Ogre team to run as Maneaters but I would also really want to check out the game proper while I was at it.

I've no interest in American football but absolutely love bloodbowl. Good, fun game, provides laughs and satisfaction when a play comes together and you score a touchdown. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Silly question but is Blood Bowl a fun game even if you don't follow American Football?

I am really tempted to get the Ogre team to run as Maneaters but I would also really want to check out the game proper while I was at it.

well I can tell you one thing at least: you'll be watching more of a football game than the NFL airs on TV

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

That's ok, the creators barely followed American football either! It's a strange beast, half-understood ideas about American football filtered through the experience of spotty metalheads in 80s Nottingham and painted with the imagery (pies, scarves, hooliganism) of British football culture of the time. Oh and there's orcs and dwarves and stuff, arguably more in the Terry Pratchett comic fantasy mould than the WHFB mould. Really, the NFL stuff largely extends to amusingly bad puns: Oakland Raiders -> Orcland Raiders.

That being said while it's a fun game, it's also considerably more complex and crunchy (not always in an entertaining way) than you'd expect. Hilariously unforgiving sometimes too. YMMV but whatever beer-and-pretzels approach it puts forward comes from the attitude BB players bring to it rather than being inherent to the ruleset.

You might find this Goonhammer article useful: https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-with-blood-bowl/

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

BB is middling complexity as a board game. Paraphrasing a comment I read some time ago, it's designed in a way that you'll most likely never get any better at it unless you learn from other players. It's also not a chill game in my experience, due to how long it takes, how frustratingly random it can be, and how it encourages a personal investment in your team. The few times I played, I ended up mad while my opponent also got mad, so I sold my team. It was just not for me, it's better to play it on Steam if you want.

9 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

I think that is a bit of wishful thinking there, how many times in the past 10 years did we hear its the year of the xenos, we are getting all the books etc. and then 70% of releases are Marines.

Rarely.  Orks alone had a major plotline through 6th with two campaign books and severals and novellas.  Craftworld also had a significant one across 40k and apocalypse even.  Those are the two armies I play.  since I've had kids I haven't payed as much atttention to these but I would be surprised if 70% of the releases were marines.  and if that sweeping comment of doom of yours is true?  Okay.  What's your game plan now?  Keep complaining?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Rarely.  Orks alone had a major plotline through 6th with two campaign books and severals and novellas.  Craftworld also had a significant one across 40k and apocalypse even.  Those are the two armies I play.  since I've had kids I haven't payed as much atttention to these but I would be surprised if 70% of the releases were marines.  and if that sweeping comment of doom of yours is true?  Okay.  What's your game plan now?  Keep complaining?

People are allowed to express negative opinions, and it's entirely fair for some people to feel their armies are under-supported when they very obviously are.

Compare these Marine releases to literally any xenos faction.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/364517-list-of-space-marines-releases-since-the-last-tyranids-one/

"70%" is an obvious hyperbole, but it gets the picture across. And I don't want to here any of that "Well it's because they sell better!" malarkey because everybody already knows that. People know why it happens, but that doesn't mean they have to like it. Outside of expressing how they feel, what are people supposed to do? Not buy the Space Marine minis they're already not buying? Yeah, people are going to complain about it. It's fine. Critical discussion isn't inherently bad.

And before anyone says it, no, a Necron release does not counteract all the SM content. The fact that people have to group 1/3 of the factions in the game under one banner because of how poorly supported they all are should tell you enough.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks everyone for the Blood Bowl tips. 

So in lieu of proper rumours, I have a question, are the previewed models production ready or are they prototypes? Namely are the rumour engines in production or are they test model/mock-up? Sometimes the rumour engine models seem to release a week later other times they seem to take forever.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Thanks everyone for the Blood Bowl tips. 

So in lieu of proper rumours, I have a question, are the previewed models production ready or are they prototypes? Namely are the rumour engines in production or are they test model/mock-up? Sometimes the rumour engine models seem to release a week later other times they seem to take forever.

The rumours usually look painted, so I'm guessing they are finished products?

8 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

We're getting off topic again guys...Underworlds Mancrusher models!!

The sons of behemat underworld band should be a couple of detailed miniatures of a gargant foot, and another of a giant club impacting the floor. And you play with that, smashing your enemies with 1 gargant that cannot fit on a Underworlds board :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Obviously it's difficult to determine if a rumor is wrong or if it simply hasn't come true yet, but what are some of the more famous examples of rumors that never panned out?

Since I play ogres, two that I remember are

1. Gutbusters would get dropped, and BCR would have new "Ice King" models that were giant-sized frost-elemental ogres

2. The BCR/Gutbuster merge would involve all the old resin kits getting dropped and that they'd actually get Endless Spells (one of which would have just been a piece of floating meat, lol)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Obviously it's difficult to determine if a rumor is wrong or if it simply hasn't come true yet, but what are some of the more famous examples of rumors that never panned out?

What we now know as the Mortal Realms would be 'bubble dimensions' and armies would fight when they bumped into one another.

If I remember the person who said this was right about most of the other "WHFB is being replaced with AoS" information.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Keep in mind that GW also 3D prints test models, which could be done before molds are made. They could paint one of those for a rumor engine/marketing pics even if they're not production ready.

Yeah, based on the model’s texture you can tell that many ‘eavy metal models and maybe even most of those previewed are 3D printed. At the risk of coming off like “ah, you can tell because of the pixels”, the ridges are a giveaway.

9 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Just before Cities launched there was a rumor that the old Empire Watchtower kit would be repurposed as faction terrain. That was clearly not the case, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

It kind of did pan out eventually, but when the first Slaanesh release was rumoured, a lot of mortals were rumoured to come out along with them. It'd take some effort to find, but you would be able to find the posts on this thread of a lot of people getting hyped and then disappointed.

Sky grots were also talked about, and faded away. 

On the 40k side, Fulgrim and Angron have been "coming out soon" for years now. 

Shadow aelves/dragon aelves, while still technically a thing, feel like they've been rumoured for years with no sign of them.