The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

The lumineth are strange, many wanted the "high elves of old" to return, many got excited by the pointy aelves teasers, then they were released and the very people the hype and marketing catered to, did en masse not really like, or outright disliked, a "large" portion of the small release.

It seems a majority finds the Eltharion and the dawnriders to be the best part of the release, followed by the wardens and Cathelar and sentinels. The mountain cow part really divides the waters though and turned many people off, including people I know in my gaming area, who were hyped and completely quit on them after seeing what was supposed to be the elite infantry and behemoth. They wanted "white lions 2.0" or "swordmasters 2.0" instead they got strange hammer aelves with pinatas on their heads. They wanted sleet dragons, eagles and chariots, yet got a big ol Bojack Cowman.

In my local stores and most used webshops getting the bonereapers was somewhat hard and things got sold out fast, yet the lumineth just sat there, plenty in stock long after release and still are.

I think the major problem was they either went too far or not far enough, attracting neither the old guard nor the new AoS fans who enjoy the more crazy armies. Perhaps going with an even stronger theme would have helped the lumineth, perhaps we will see it in a wave 2 with cloud surfers and camel riders. Putting more distance to the old high elves will at least reduce the comparisons to them over time.

i think what really started the downward spiral was Teclis's model being a big let down or had mixed/negative reaction, while Morathi and the Everqueen (along with other big character centerpiece models) are consider to be some of the Best models that GW have ever produced, I think Teclis clearly didn't garner the universal appraisal for such a hyped up character returning. after that people where more critical of the model range being reveal and that they felt GW had some iffy design choices coming in to this army.

1 minute ago, novakai said:

i think what really started the downward spiral was Teclis's model being a big let down or had mixed/negative reaction, while Morathi and the Everqueen (along with other big character centerpiece models) are consider to be some of the Best models that GW have ever produced, I think Teclis clearly didn't garner the universal appraisal for such a hyped up character returning. after that people where more critical of the model range being reveal and that they felt GW had some iffy design choices coming in to this army.

And yet, Teclis was one of the few AoS figures in the top 10 of GW's Model of the Year. Unless all those people were just trolling, I just don't understand.

When it comes to Lumineth and popularity Teclis being an honorary mention for best 2020 model has dispelled my view on what might be popular or not. I tend to think forums, reddit etc are by large a minority, the dedicated members of a fandom, I think it was proven again in that example. Many here can say the cow models look bad or haven't sold etc, but I imagine there are tons of people who don't bother with online community and have readily gobbled up the models. 

• Like 4

Lumineth are very much old high elves anew - its just that people wanted new dragons and dragon rider (cavalry) and basically all the old stuff and instead they got bison with hammers. It confused them even though the core troops are archers, spearmen and basic cavalry - the core of old High Elves.  I figure like a lot of new AoS armies its simply that GW hasn't shown us the entire picture of the army. Right now its a skirmishing force without as many diverse models. You don't have the "option" of bison units they ARE the army elite choice right now. 

It's the same for many other smaller forces, they have limited diversity of choice built into them. Daughters of Khaine are basically either lots of witch aelves or lots of snake aelves with no big beasty support save morathi; Ossiarchs have the same and we can go the same for man yother forces. 

It's simply a lack of diversity as a result of the fact that initial releases are only able to be so big. As time passes and we get more diversity I'm sure we'll see popularity grow. Plus dont' forget its unfair to compare brand new armies to returning armies (eg Sisters of Battle) and to existing armies (skaven, Seraphon etc...). Established forces with 30 year fanbases are going to outsell brand new armies almost every time. The key is that new armies continue to sell and remain in the lime light and get new releases and bulk up to diverse miliary forces.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Talas said:

And yet, Teclis was one of the few AoS figures in the top 10 of GW's Model of the Year. Unless all those people were just trolling, I just don't understand.

i mean without looking at the result i think you can't really say how accurate GW is relating the info, there could be a steep drop off from 3rd to 5th, (13000 to 100 votes) and i think they like combining votes from their ranges into the centerpiece models (putting Eltherion vote into Teclis)

• Thanks 2

Teclis wasnt in the Top 10 models, because there was no top ten models. There was a top 3 and then Honourable mentions, which could mean almost anything, but i think was GW highlighting the models they felt were the best. 

Personally i dont hate Teclis but Eltharion takes him out back and beats him with a rubber hose ;)

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Sylvaneth and Daughters for many older fans were in the opposite direction, the big center piece models and leaders was praised design wise but many disliked the new style direction their basic and elite troops went towards design wise at the time, many still do.  Will be interesting to see what design style Malerion's aelves will have and if that's enough to please fans.

Sorry for the slight off-topic in regards to the best sculpts, but I remembered that the new Lumineth novel is scheduled for February, which could tie with a new Broken Realms book and the "Wind-temple" miniatures. We are also getting a Stormcast novel soon, so perhaps the anniversary model could actually be one of them.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, novakai said:

i mean without looking at the result i think you can't really say how accurate GW is relating the info, there could be a steep drop off from 3rd to 5th, (13000 to 100 votes) and i think they like combining votes from their ranges into the centerpiece models (putting Eltherion vote into Teclis)

Yup, and in the same way, some shops in Germany (during Covid and not being their main market) not selling Lumineth well, or some people don't liking the Alarith are not an indication that the Lumineth sold badly, and it's still discussed here as a verified truth without us having any idea about the numbers at all. 

I think it's fair to say that GW didn't sell as much army boxes as they hoped for, but they could still have sold more of those boxes than any previous AoS box in history - and we wouldn't know. Because we don't know how many they produced and sold. 

Stoneguard have been sold-out on their online store in many regions since months. Could be a sign that they are really popular, or just that GW underestimated the demand slightly and now have problems during Covid, or some problem with production for this specific model. Who knows? We have zero information about any of these things. 

I think it's better to be a bit more humble about ones own assumptions, it's really easy to take just one piece of information which seems to verify ones narrative and run with it.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, Matrindur said:

Did we ever got a release for this guy? 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/11/an-unexpected-hero-arrives/AosStormcastReveal-Oct11-Dacian1uc.jpg

If not he could be our anniversary model

I think he was released in Australia as a generic Knight Questor. Since it's Australia, I expect it to be about $50.

I'm still salty they killed off the Excelsior Warpriest and his puppy for this generic Knight Questor.

• Like 1

Looking at Glutos again, it seems to me that he's got the same problem that Katakros has: fantastic model, excellent arrangement but damn, some of those retainers would make for wonderful models on their own. 

Just like the Liege-Immortis and the Necrophoros Prime, that cloaked Mymidesh bodyguard/champion on the left would be a brilliant foot hero, a small project or dude leading your elite infantry with some unique rules about challenges or racking up kill-rings or similar. Same for the chap with the whip, as something like a Slaaneshi Bloodstoker, only with sexier results. Maybe not quite so much the peacock officiant or the leatherclad halfling, admittedly.

(The Myrmidesh dude could probably make a fine stand-in for the Lord of Pain and Slaanesh doesn't quite have the Lumineth's lack of a 'basic' fighty character on foot but it still feels like a missed opportunity.)

w6xalC4a7yNk0cIt.jpg

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

Heads up everyone - UK media is reporting that we are potentially facing a full nationwide lockdown.

Even though GW proved during the first lockdown to be able to get out new releases, it'll undoubtedly throw off transporting those releases and deliveries.

Would expect significant delays.

Worst case scenario - it'll likely cause 3.0 to get pushed back until 2022 if it throws off the release schedule as Lockdown 1 did.

Early reports sound like it will be the same as the November lockdown - so work would continue to function just with the "work from home if you can" mandate. It would be more that all social and retail would close. Basically a full lockdown like the first would be more effective, but it shuts the entire economy down and I don't think government wants to dance that dance again unless it gets really really really bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandlemad said:

Looking at Glutos again, it seems to me that he's got the same problem that Katakros has: fantastic model, excellent arrangement but damn, some of those retainers would make for wonderful models on their own. 

Just like the Liege-Immortis and the Necrophoros Prime, that cloaked Mymidesh bodyguard/champion on the left would be a brilliant foot hero, a small project or dude leading your elite infantry with some unique rules about challenges or racking up kill-rings or similar. Same for the chap with the whip, as something like a Slaaneshi Bloodstoker, only with sexier results. Maybe not quite so much the peacock officiant or the leatherclad halfling, admittedly.

(The Myrmidesh dude could probably make a fine stand-in for the Lord of Pain and Slaanesh doesn't quite have the Lumineth's lack of a 'basic' fighty character on foot but it still feels like a missed opportunity.)

That's something I also noticed. The diorama style centrepieces' individual figures are good enough that, if you're not using the model as a centrepiece and have constructed it that way, you can easily field them as separate entities.

This is true for Katakros and the Triumph of st Katharine, but also for the Celestial Hurricanum with its four wizards, Couldron of Blood, Freeguild General on Griffin (with a general on foot and battlewizard on foot after minor conversion) Kharadron Frigate (navigator) and Kharadron Ironclad (both Navigator and Endrinmaster).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreddships said:

Heads up everyone - UK media is reporting that we are potentially facing a full nationwide lockdown.

Even though GW proved during the first lockdown to be able to get out new releases, it'll undoubtedly throw off transporting those releases and deliveries.

Would expect significant delays.

Worst case scenario - it'll likely cause 3.0 to get pushed back until 2022 if it throws off the release schedule as Lockdown 1 did.

Good luck to our brothers and sisters over there from the midwest of USA!!🤜💥🤛

That being said, there's a LOT of chit chat about 3.0. Is there even anything that remotely points to this even being a thing this year or is all this chit chat pure speculation?  Because either I missed something or everyone's got an inside source or what?....

16 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Good luck to our brothers and sisters over there from the midwest of USA!!🤜💥🤛

That being said, there's a LOT of chit chat about 3.0. Is there even anything that remotely points to this even being a thing this year or is all this chit chat pure speculation?  Because either I missed something or everyone's got an inside source or what?....

No it’s because they had a similar structure with 40k. A series of campaign books that culminated in a new edition. 
broken realms has te same ring to it. 

also it fit would in the current schedule. All armies have been updated with aos rules. We’re now starting a new round of books with the secon KO, Tzeentch etc. So it kinda makes sense. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Teclis wasnt in the Top 10 models, because there was no top ten models. There was a top 3 and then Honourable mentions, which could mean almost anything, but i think was GW highlighting the models they felt were the best. 

Personally i dont hate Teclis but Eltharion takes him out back and beats him with a rubber hose ;)

I don't dislike Teclis (other than his price point). My problem is that Celennar is just sort of... there? It's like they wanted him to be this big diorama like every other Elven God but couldn't find something that worked. Hell I like Celennar too but it's just tacked on because, uhhh, well, they needed something big I guess...?

Personally I think something to do with the various elements would've worked a lot better - wind, stone, etc, etc, have various visual concepts surrounding him akin to the spirits/souls do on Nagash (and Co.) harkening back to him being such a powerful mage. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

That's something I also noticed. The diorama style centrepieces' individual figures are good enough that, if you're not using the model as a centrepiece and have constructed it that way, you can easily field them as separate entities.

This is true for Katakros and the Triumph of st Katharine, but also for the Celestial Hurricanum with its four wizards, Couldron of Blood, Freeguild General on Griffin (with a general on foot and battlewizard on foot after minor conversion) Kharadron Frigate (navigator) and Kharadron Ironclad (both Navigator and Endrinmaster).

Quite right, though I'd note that for the Celestial Hurricanum/Cauldron of Blood that was by design and explicitly marketed as such, i.e. hey look, you're guaranteed to have a spare hero model once you've built this. You got that with quite a few later WHFB kits and some early AoS ones like the Magmadroth, all by design and easily doable.

The sad thing about the other examples is that the kit will either suffer a little because now it's missing a component (take away a sister/palatine from the Triumph or the navigator from the airship and you have to find something to plug the gap) or that there's no actual rules to represent them. The Myrmidesh dude from Glutos could be a stand-in for the Lord of Pain, if an inexact one, but Katakros's retainers are harder, there's not really anything they can stand in as besides an unusually fancy Mortek guard champion or standard bearer. Imagine if the Ossiarch had rules for a fighty hero on foot or an old school battle standard bearer character.

I think it's probably a slight shift in terms of kit design but it's also probably a quirk of these big kits being special characters.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1