The Rumour Thread

38 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Where are these "constant references to old models?" I just think it is wise to temper expectations until we know more.

The only "concept art" reveals we have had are for Kislev. In both posts there was an image of some old Kislev sculpts. They are tapping HARD into the whole nostalgia thing. If they turn around and disallow all old models from the game, while just providing a handful of new models to play it, I will be extremely surprised. In a bad way, of course.

1 minute ago, Greybeard86 said:

The only "concept art" reveals we have had are for Kislev. In both posts there was an image of some old Kislev sculpts. They are tapping HARD into the whole nostalgia thing. If they turn around and disallow all old models from the game, while just providing a handful of new models to play it, I will be extremely surprised. In a bad way, of course.

Here's the major logistical problem with that assumption: There's no way they can reprint all the old models that are out of print, and they aren't going to set up this barrier to entry to new players where they can't acquire any of the models that all the veterans have held onto. I don't see a practical way to incorporate old models into the game.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

That's exactly the kind of scenario that gets people exctied, because at that point the game could be ~ a n y t h i n g   y o u   w a n t ~.

Then when it isn't exactly that you get pages of people howling in annoyance. I hate to do this, just recently, look at this very thread and the Christmas reveal. Oh well, enough of me being a grouch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Here's the major logistical problem with that assumption: There's no way they can reprint all the old models that are out of print, and they aren't going to set up this barrier to entry to new players where they can't acquire any of the models that all the veterans have held onto. I don't see a practical way to incorporate old models into the game.

This is a good point. I expect this will be done by recycling plenty of the AoS  WHFB kits. Then, I also think they'll do made to order releases, and probably recover some old molds that they might substitute as things evolve.

To counter your point, I just don't see a way for them to release the necessary range of minis from scratch for something that isn't a skirmish game (with simple seasonal gangs).

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, shinros said:

Then when it isn't exactly that you get pages of people howling in annoyance. I hate to do this, just recently, look at this very thread and the Christmas reveal. Oh well, enough of me being a grouch. 

They are happy that we talk about it, and the excited crowd will drown the grumpy ones for a while.

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

We may also get the next Broken Realms announced.

That's my expectation. With the Gordrakk story recently dropping it feels like we're set for the siege of Excelsis tying into things so Morathi-Khaine can keep solidifying her empire & religion so the Stormcasts don't immediately crush it as they're preoccupied with saving a major city from a bigger threat.

49 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

They managed it with Lord of the Rings. I don't think GW throws away moulds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Plastic moulds are afaik pretty hard to kill, some of the ancient metals and resin ones are one bad drop away from destruction but it makes sense GW keeps the old ones archived somewhere within reason, i mean they do do made to order runs of some pretty old models. 

I sincerely doubt we will see new runs of the plastics though, the reasons they got retired in the first placewould still be pretty applicable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

That's my expectation. With the Gordrakk story recently dropping it feels like we're set for the siege of Excelsis tying into things so Morathi-Khaine can keep solidifying her empire & religion so the Stormcasts don't immediately crush it as they're preoccupied with saving a major city from a bigger threat.

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Sadly. The last rumor engine was the end of the run so it'll be awhile now before we get another.

Now it's gonna be focus on NewYearNewArmy and Underworlds(and I really really hope a new short story soon).

I feel we're definitely seeing the Seraphon Warband this weekend!!

Yes I agree on Broken Realms, it's the only way to make sure that the Stormcast have a valid reason for not riding lightning down onto some pointy ears after they sacked an entire city and surrounding townships!!

• Like 1

On the bright side they've shown a great deal of worker and customer safety, articles and activities to support the quarantined community and still slam dunked their estimated profits this year so they'll be even more prepared for it.

On the downside it definitely means more events being cancelled,  releases post-poned and more setbacks to their goals of getting that second factory up along with more warehouses to expand themselves.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Like 5

Strange aside, but does anyone else really enjoy the use of Kharadron Overlords in the marketing material ala. Bugmansson Claus or their Update on Warhammer releases?

I like that they are promoting AoS but also that they are doing so with a unique army that works well for the messaging and not simply pushing SCE but allowing one of the other armies room to be shown off. I also feel like it hopefully hints at continued support for released factions within AOS*.

bcnmVubjQgZp2vz8.jpg
*heres looking at youTyrion and Fyreslayers!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 18

Outside of living in Nurgle's Garden, New Years eve predictions :

Seraphon Warband for Underworlds

Palaquin and Heroes for the Hedonites for AOS

Possibly a tease for the next Warcry Warband? - Who knows where that's going, but I would bet my life it isn't Chaos

40k will get some focus on their new codexes. 

If we are being hopeful, the sneaky teaser-of-the-teaser-of-the-reveal for Soulblight/Vampirates/Grotbags/Crab People/Those Insect People from Beastgrave/Kurnothi, because obligatory

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed COVID comments
  • Like 5

Hopefully Covid doesn’t affect GW too much. Worse case scenario is the physical store shut for a bit and they double up the monthly items when they open again.

Personally I think rules shouldn’t have been relaxed for Christmas as that and this new strand is likely what is causing the rise in cases. I rather sacrifice a day of Christmas than a month off next year.

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Strange aside, but does anyone else really enjoy the use of Kharadron Overlords in the marketing material ala. Bugmansson Claus or their Update on Warhammer releases?

I like that they are promoting AoS but also that they are doing so with a unique army that works well for the messaging and not simply pushing SCE but allowing one of the other armies room to be shown off. I also feel like it hopefully hints at continued support for released factions within AOS*.

bcnmVubjQgZp2vz8.jpg
*heres looking at youTyrion and Fyreslayers!

Yeah I really loved all that this year [being a Kharadron fan]. It really deepens the feel of the setting. 

For lockdown- I think manufacturing will continue - it has always been "work from home if you can.." and if GW has set up suitable precautions they can keep going, just at a slower rate- which seems to be what they reset up to do with a reduced release schedule.

For the reveals - I hope for Seraphon and lady vampire underworlds and hopefully a few other surprises which might catch my eye. Maybe Killteam with unique sculpts, perhaps Keys and Critters [quest] which could be exciting .

Although nothing points to it I'd love wee hint at something dwarf-y or Kurnothi..Intrigued at the next broken realms book. I actually don't think it will be Gordrakk as I think that is underlying story being set up for the 3rd edition the same way soul wars was- its going to be the next big story arc in AoS and the Broken Realms is just the set up.  Just a hunch..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Lava snowman decoy army or we march on our stores with branded tattoos in protest.

I like how I am behind literally every idea to expand Fyreslayers that I have seen suggested...
Magmadroth Cavalry, sold!
Magmadroth Chariot, Double Sold!
Flame Spewing Warmachines, Sold!
Lava Snowman Decoy Army, Best Idea Yet and Now Officially Canon!

17 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Did anybody else inexplicably hear this to the tune of "Barbie Girl" by Aqua?

You just made this an even better idea!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 12:06 AM, alghero81 said:

Even assuming the scale will be compatible, the world is much different, many heroes are not even born then and some armies will look really different from the WHFB we know... 

And then we have no idea what’s the current state of the old moulds in case they actually want to keep supporting old models. But GW is a miniature company before being a Wargame system company so there’s no way they are going to invest time and energy in a system that can reuse most of miniatures from other games not bringing them fresh revenues. I expect any AOS or WHFB miniature compatible, if at all, to be a proxy at best.
One exception to this rule is Warcry, but it took 1.5 years to expand the game to almost every existing miniature, including metal and resin

Look at the shields used. The Empire shield shapes fit the ones we have quite well, and are from the same historical time as the Freeguild lineup. Bretonnia also fits their 14th century knight aesthetic quite well.

They could, and might, use scale creep to make old armies seem odd (and bot Freeguild Guard and Crossbowmen really want a refresh), but the current artwork indicates the broad design of the armies could well fit.