The Rumour Thread

Didn't think Lumineth were in need of an update quite so soon? As that is basically what the broken realm books seem to be.

Duaradin players must be about ready to shave their beards off. Hell i'm a death player and if this turns out to be true I might do the same and possibly in memory of the nutjob that torched their High Elf Army torch one skeg...

• Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, dekay said:

Both this and coming siege of Excelsis, Gordrak's battering ram and so on. I think we'll be seeing more Destruction soon.

I am fully expecting one of the next books to be "Broken Realms: Gordrakk" -- now the question is really only at what point in the story will this book be? If it's the last one, then to me that's a 100% chance AOS 3.0 will open with a Destruction vs Sigmar starter set that would include Free Cities, Stormcast, and most likely Sigmarite/Azyrite mortals.

If the last book is Malerion's, we're looking at a starter set with Ulgu aelves vs Slaanesh mortals most likely.

Heck, we haven't heard from the duardin in a while so maybe Grungni or Valaya comes out of left field with their New Duardin and that's what kicks off 3.0 for real 😅 I'd expect that set to be an Old World throwback of dwarfs vs greenskins, where the duardin come to aid Sigmar during Gordrakk's siege of Azyr.

Any which way, I do think the last Broken Realms book is going to set the stage for 3.0's starter set.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

But if he does succeed, we're looking at a Necroquake-level event. The strategic advantage of having Azyr as a safe haven to strategize, raise armies, coordinate attacks, and maintain supply lines is one of the reasons Sigmar and the other order armies have enjoyed so much relative success in their war against the forces of Chaos.

Destruction is an amazing monkey-wrench Grand Alliance (special consideration should be given to the Skaven here, who will always be the ultimate monkey-wrench of AoS). They can control the narrative by forcing everyone to change their carefully laid plans in order to deal with the constant, relentless threat of wanton . . . well . . . destruction.

Here is the thing, already in Broken Realms: Morathi they explained how important is to preserve locked the gate to Azyr in the Eightpoints. Opening any gate and invading Azyr means basically the end of Order as we know it.

Only something equally big can push back the balance once again, but an invasion to Azyr as they are describing it now would be an End Times type of event: Sigmar supply chain already stretched thin would be irreparably disrupted maybe even forcing retreat once again in Azyr, and remember that from the Slaves to Darkness book Chaos is overly present in every other Mortal Realm, so it's not like Order or even Death have safe havens... So if Gordrakk does succeed, then we will need something equally big to counter balance or could be the end for most of Order...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Here is the thing, already in Broken Realms: Morathi they explained how important is to preserve locked the gate to Azyr in the Eightpoints. Opening any gate and invading Azyr means basically the end of Order as we know it.

Only something equally big can push back the balance once again, but an invasion to Azyr as they are describing it now would be an End Times type of event: Sigmar supply chain already stretched thin would be irreparably disrupted maybe even forcing retreat once again in Azyr, and remember that from the Slaves to Darkness book Chaos is overly present in every other Mortal Realm, so it's not like Order or even Death have safe havens... So if Gordrakk does succeed, then we will need something equally big to counter balance or could be the end for most of Order...

Was about to post exactly this point. I want to see more Destruction spotlight, maybe even see Gordrakk's plan pay off. I do not want to see if pay off all the way, for this reason exactly.

2 minutes ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Was about to post exactly this point. I want to see more Destruction spotlight, maybe even see Gordrakk's plan pay off. I do not want to see if pay off all the way, for this reason exactly.

He could still smash the Varanspire on his way to Azyr, that no one would feel the absence 😃

7 minutes ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

On the other hand, we don't want to be in a 40k situation where 90% of lore is just "and the enemy nearly did something very important, but didn't" because that can get very old very fast and means important stories feel less important because plot points become untouchable. Obviously, we can't just have Order lose either - so Gordrakk getting what he wants and breaking open Azyr, and then having a huge (and successful) Order pushback would (imo) be more interesting than Gordrakk failing off the bat. 

• Like 6

Just now, Enoby said:

On the other hand, we don't want to be in a 40k situation where 90% of lore is just "and the enemy nearly did something very important, but didn't" because that can get very old very fast and means important stories feel less important because plot points become untouchable. Obviously, we can't just have Order lose either - so Gordrakk getting what he wants and breaking open Azyr, and then having a huge (and successful) Order pushback would (imo) be more interesting than Gordrakk failing off the bat. 

Very valid. I just don't think we're currently in the space where a huge Order pushback is plausible just yet. Maybe if Malerion suddenly decloaks Ulgu and declares an all-out offensive on Chaos, but that's the only situation I can think of with even close to the scale required based on the elements in play right now.

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

Destruction is its own worst enemy, this is represented in Gorkamorka's nature. Having a huge destruction push into the eightpoints, only for Gorkamorka to split into Gork and Mork, and lead the forces in two different directions (gates of Azyr, and the heart of the eightpoints) leading to their inevitable defeat as their power is split between chaos and order. Plus we could get a new prophet/avatar of Mork.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Enoby said:

That is very true, but AoS has the slight advantage that there is no single protagonist faction. Sure Sigmar and the Stormcast are the "heroic" faction, but everyone has at least a bit of agency, so if someone else wins for a bit, its not the same as the unthinkable situation of the Space Marines actually losing for a change. Its just another shift in an ever shifting status quo. They've shown they are willing to actually change that status quo, and that puts us in the great position of never really knowing what will come next.

I've said it before, but I'll start paying attention to 40K properly the day the Emperor actually dies, and the Imperium descends into civil war. Until then I'm happy playing Xenos armies around the edges!

• Like 3

I think that Gordrakk will begin his invasion and that is going to lead to the return of a god in a Deus ex Machina fashion to help prevent the complete destruction of Azyr. True it could be Sigmar or Grungi... maybe all of this build up with Morathi is leading to her being the ace in the hole for Order. Heck maybe we will find out the true connection between Grimnir and Gotrek! But lets be honest it is going to be Malerion and all the rumour engines are the proof. 😉 Joking aside I actually think that the narrative will reflect Wrath of the Everchosen with an incursion of Destruction making it through the gate but not entirely breaking the defenses. Now the stronghold of Chaos is contending with shambling skeletons while the Heavens shake under a gnoblar invasion!

I think that just being heavily featured in a Broken Realms book does not mean that Lumineth will get significantly more focus than other armies that are in greater need. It may simply mean that certain models were held back or that there will be a few extra subfactions that will be somewhat niché. Didn't it state somewhere that every army would get some attention during Broken Realms? Maybe Lumineth get a sub-faction in which they can use city allies or another one in which they can have a different battleline tax. Whereas Beasts of Chaos might become the new meta and stomp all over Lumineth. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Very valid. I just don't think we're currently in the space where a huge Order pushback is plausible just yet. Maybe if Malerion suddenly decloaks Ulgu and declares an all-out offensive on Chaos, but that's the only situation I can think of with even close to the scale required based on the elements in play right now.

this is why I think the return of Valaya or Grungni might be inevitable: Malerion's host showing up for the other aelves because of Slaanesh, and duardin mobilizing to help Azyr because of Gordrakk sounds like a supreme showdown of titanic proportions to take us into 3.0!

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Maybe a nice compromise is that Gordrakk batters down Excelsis, and continues on his Waaagh across the Realms!!

I would like to offer a artifact of power for the Gatebreaker tribe in Sons of Behemat that may hint towards the fate of Excelsis

Spoiler

Enchanted Portcullis: The metal gate that once barred entry to the south tower of Excelsis bears a potent spell of repulsion. Repurposed as armour, it now serves to protect the wearer's 'vulnerables' from harm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grim Beasties said:

I would like to offer a artifact of power for the Gatebreaker tribe in Sons of Behemat that may hint towards the fate of Excelsis

Hide contents

Enchanted Portcullis: The metal gate that once barred entry to the south tower of Excelsis bears a potent spell of repulsion. Repurposed as armour, it now serves to protect the wearer's 'vulnerables' from harm.

When I read this in the Battletome I mustve done a triple take. Makes me wonder if it's an old portcullis as surely Excelsis would have come under attack in one form or another over the years or did they drop major hints at narrative in there!?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

When I read this in the Battletome I mustve done a triple take. Makes me wonder if it's an old portcullis as surely Excelsis would have come under attack in one form or another over the years or did they drop major hints at narrative in there!?

Somebody did an oopsie and put it in the wrong book

If Gordrak does smash opon a gate to Azyr it doesn't mean the Realm of heavens is destroyed or overrun. 

Pretty sure each gate will be heavily guarded. 

Like most Orruks, Gordrak wants a fight and would be happy to bust a gate open and have a good scrap. 

Of course by doing so, shows that it can be done and invites others to challenge Sigmar in his own realm, kicking off a narrative event of would be conquers looking to topple the God King, all without Azyr itself being overrun. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Whilst everyone is deep into Gordrakk headbutts Sigmar speculation as part of Broken Realms but not as the "main event", it has me wondering.

40k had the Necrons hiding in the background in PA, only for dramatic plot twist main villains for 9th.

So taking that, I'm going to take the solid guess that whomever is the big final bad for BR, will be the big bad for 3.0?

Particularly,

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

Of course by doing so, shows that it can be done and invites others to challenge Sigmar in his own realm, kicking off a narrative event of would be conquers looking to topple the God King, all without Azyr itself being overrun. 

Because who can fit the end role of the "other challenger" revealing themselves?

Archaon is out of the game, with the STD thrown in the first book as a footnote.

The Newborn plot with Slaanesh - I can't see them progressing that fully until later. 

Nagash just had a whole edition and all he ended up doing was doing his best Skeletor impression.

And the hints at the end of BR - with potentially vampires rules it out - and if Shadow Elves - wouldn't make sense if Malekith ended up doing a 180 and trying to kill Sigmar.

We already have one former Delf trying to ****** Order over.

Potential candidates -

Tyrion - Aeltherion's Spirit, Stealing the Khaine Worship/Powers that just got leaked out of Morathi - some plot stuff about resurrection of Khaine 2.0 - Unlikely, will probably be the 'savior' in the end of it all - just want a satisfactory Malekith/Tyrion fighting together

Idk I just want them to admit they love each other.

Nurgle - based on that I speculate Nurgle/Alarielle will have a spot of continued conflict in Ghyran, he is probably a bit busy - Unlikely unless they move Nurgle away from Ghyran for once.

Trees vs Flies seems fairly consistent at this point though

Tzeentch - Already has a Penumbral Engine and already set up to have some big plan together - Possibly? 

Wildcard god is Wildcard

Khorne - Likes a scrap - Equally, probably a bit miffed now there is now two Slaaneshs and neither of them want to date him. - Will do the stereotypical 'wallpunch', just the wall is Azyr.

But we kinda already had Sigmar vs Khorne back in 1.0

The Great Horned Rat - Would be an absolute narrative wildcard where the god everyone writes off ends up being the big game changer by being the one directly invading Azyr - 99% just me wishing the Skaven end up doing something wild, like invading Azyr itself like the wildcard they are

Chances are that the Duardin book (whatever book has the Fyreslayers and KO in) will have the Skaven as the bad guys.

Morghur - because if the Great Horned Rat has a chance, why not? - let the Beastmen do something wild, like idk, trying to burn down Heaven itself...

But they're probably just going to be a footnote somewhere and I'll cry about it

After the Krell/Skarsnik/Grimgor saga of "Not every Old World character is coming back", there is definitely a chance that it could just be a new character coming round to fill the gap, or even then, entire plotline not actually coming to be and Gordrakk himself is the ultimate big end threat for Broken Realms for 3.0.

TLDR : If Gordrakk and the Orruks ain't our BR 'Necrons' for 3.0, who else is in the running and why isn't it Morghur the Shadowgave?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

will have the Skaven as the bad guys.

There might be a chance where the skaven actually become the whole bad guys for the 3rd edition.

it kinda fits perfectly.

Slaanesh breaks out, the elves fight back trying to bind him again, while the other chaos gods (especially khorne) will be furious of the return of slaanesh, and will try to either destroy him or take-steal the territories of the slaanesh mortal brethren who left those place unguarded because they kinda want to help their own god.

while the stormcast and whatever hasn’t been mentioned yet will try and stop the slaanesh in any way possible.

And as unlucky as the order faction are a huge tide of hated green-things will try and destroy the gares to azyr or whatever they are doing, occupying the stormcast and certain citizen to that event, keeping them away from their allies, who are already in a tied spot of fighting off the chaos invasion(s).

While the  rats who waited for an eternity (literally) jump-scurry up into the upper layers of the realms, take -stealing territories of both the chaos, order, destruction and Death allegiances, and backstabbing their so called chaos allies, who were weakened by infighting.

and with the return of a truly chaotic faction, we will (hopefully) finally see those 75% of needed model line update we have been waiting for almost 31years.

ps: just wish-listing and guessing, so I have no idea if this is what will happen.

• Like 7

It's also suitably serving Archaon another L, because the guy's entire story at this point is "I keep losing and even when I'm not losing, I'm still losing and I don't know why", to have the GHR be the one god who isn't an incompetent mess.

What's more annoying to the guy who wants to murder every god for being too powerful that the one god he spat in it's face as being completely useless ends up doing being the one to progress the aims of the Chaos Gods?

SKAVEN 3.0 LETS GO BOYS CANT KILL-KILL WHAT SNEAK-SNEAK