The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, UnholyRevenant said:

Just spotted this in the Slaanesh battletome. A hint at Sigvald. Makes you wonder how much is still hidden in current battletomes that aludes to stuff yet come, and just how far ahead are GWs plans for AoS.

20201204_122552.jpg

Yeah, but this is so encrypted that it is barely a hint. At this point nobody could even guess that the being in the mirror is Sigvald.

Whoever is able to do that, has no trouble to interpret  the Nostratdamus verses

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, michu said:

I think it's rather a reference to biblical golden calf.

That's a good call but Slaanesh has also already had bovine (and caprine, in fairness) imagery for decades, I think possibly on the basis of fertility symbols and the occasional association between cattle in pre-modern societies and wealth/luxury. There's a beauty angle as well, with Hera being described as "ox-eyed" for her beauty. The golden calf thing is there though, as is the imagery of mysterious/pagan/Near Eastern religions venerating cows/bull-headed deities as false idols, with implications of sacrifice and flame-lit chambers and ecstatic revels. Fairly Orientalist stuff.

It's that last bit's the bull imagery that the old chaos dwarfs drew on as well. The Lumineth's bovine imagery seems more linked to strength, resolve, stoicism and the earth than any of the above. It shouldn't really be a huge surprise that animals familiar to so many RL cultures for so many centuries should have a breadth of different associations and symbolic meanings that can be drawn on and deployed differently in different contexts.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was some intent on GW's part to contrast the Lumineth's ox imagery with that of Slaanesh as some sort of dark mirror. Not as an in-universe thing or as the main thing-to-be compared but it's a sharpening of the classic thematic contrast between High Elves/Eldar and Slaanesh: both refined, both elegant, but one's calm and restrained and 'classy' while the other is decadent and disharmonious. Comparing the bovine imagery of one with the other is the kind of note in the larger thing that GW designers like to do.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kurrilino said:

Yeah, but this is so encrypted that it is barely a hint. At this point nobody could even guess that the being in the mirror is Sigvald.

Whoever is able to do that, has no trouble to interpret  the Nostratdamus verses

They might have been able to put it together combined with the other story about the mirror where the duardin find it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benkei said:

There were people in the forums already theorizing that was Sigvald in the mirror when Shadespire released, so not so cryptic 

The image linked is actually the next part of the story from malign portents that I linked earlier in the thread. I'm glad someone found it, can't believe I did not think that it was in the hedonite tome. I may have to read it again to freshen up my memory.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thaliontil said:

It can be my bias, but I think (and I love) that these mortals of Slaanesh look like the dark side of the Lumineth. This guy has a helmet that could easily fit with the Alarith...

In any case, stunning miniaiture. Can't wait to see the rest of the range!

They might well be setting up a hint of chaos/Slaaneshi corruption within the Lumineth, given the repetition of bovine imagery in both armies. Plus, the geography of Hysh resembles an eight pointed star of chaos. @Thomas Lyons from Warhammer Weekly has been a proponent of this conspiracy theory since the Lumineth launched (although his pick for corruptor is Hashut).

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Yeah, this is a bad example because tons of people on this forum and elsewhere (correctly) interpreted this as referring to Sigvald. It was building on reference in the Malign Portents book all the way back in April 2018 to kharadron privateers plundering the 'Magnificent Mirror', "within which is trapped the vainest soul ever to have existed". Same mirror and those bones were the ill-fated kharadron. Whole thing made for a pretty clear-cut reference to Sigvald given his towering vanity and historic connection to mirrors, even if it didn't guarantee a new Sigvald model.

Given the lead in time on new models, it's actually likely that the reference was inserted in the book around the same time the first concept work was being carried out for the new Sigvald mini though.

58 minutes ago, Thaliontil said:

It can be my bias, but I think (and I love) that these mortals of Slaanesh look like the dark side of the Lumineth. This guy has a helmet that could easily fit with the Alarith...

Sadly it makes me dislike the Lumineth more and more :(
I don't want to uselessly complain though. Aesthetics and preferences can be a weird thing. For my part, I am not a Fan of the light side / dark side aesthetic they are going for. (Tassles and eerily similar Shields on the Myrmidesh and Vanari and now this. Hmm .. 
So, nothing against the Slaanesh Mortals I like them in principle - just would not collect them. (Knowing my weird Brain I probably will in 5 Yearsor so.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, UnholyRevenant said:

Just spotted this in the Slaanesh battletome. A hint at Sigvald. Makes you wonder how much is still hidden in current battletomes that aludes to stuff yet come, and just how far ahead are GWs plans for AoS.

20201204_122552.jpg

If Sigvald reborns in Shysh... maybe, just maybe... Broken Realms vs Neferata?

The forest goblins new clan had mentions about the lady mortarch and her city.

• Like 2

I was getting Neferata vibes all the way through Broken Realms. I couldn’t believe how much Morathi kept reminding me of her! I am interested to see how Neferata’s character develops, assuming they don’t want two ancient, pale, bloodthirsty superwomen with covens and blood cults and spy networks and god complexes in one setting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They might well be setting up a hint of chaos/Slaaneshi corruption within the Lumineth, given the repetition of bovine imagery in both armies. Plus, the geography of Hysh resembles an eight pointed star of chaos. @Thomas Lyons from Warhammer Weekly has been a proponent of this conspiracy theory since the Lumineth launched (although his pick for corruptor is Hashut).

Quite a silly conspiracy theory since Hysh shape is based on the symbol for the wind of light. 

Edited by LordAlpharius
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, LordAlpharius said:

Quite a silly conspiracy theory since Hysh shape is based on the symbol for the wind of light. 

Not disagreeing with you, but this is exactly the kind of vagueness I'd exploit if I was a writer setting up a twist. I definitely believe that some kind of plot point about Slaaneshi corruption still lingering within Hysh and the Lumineth is possible in the future. It would be set up well enough, given the history the Lumineth have with Slaanesh and how closely they are tied to their realm. Could make for a good stoty to spring on us in a few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Not disagreeing with you, but this is exactly the kind of vagueness I'd exploit if I was a writer setting up a twist. I definitely believe that some kind of plot point about Slaaneshi corruption still lingering within Hysh and the Lumineth is possible in the future. It would be set up well enough, given the history the Lumineth have with Slaanesh and how closely they are tied to their realm. Could make for a good stoty to spring on us in a few years.

I highly doubt it though since the reinvention has curbed the excesses that resulted in the "corruption" of the lumineth before the spirefall.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again, these Slaneesh Mortals remind me heavily of the Persian army from 300!! And I love it!! I hope they add more Monsters as well, I cant believe I'm hyped for a Chaos release!!

I have been playing Chaos for quite a while my old friend, and I can tell you that we always have room for more giants! 😇

I am completely on board with you the Slaanesh stuff looks utterly fantastic, and I am really thinking about going all in on the line. My only hesitations are cost and the problematic portrayal of certain elements of Slaanesh in the lore... I think that GW is improving on this front and I like to develop my own fluff, but I still don't want to offend anyone with my little hobby. That said Slaanesh has always been favourite of the Chaos Gods followed closely by Tzeentch. Pleasure and Knowledge are a lot more enticing than War and Pestilence. 😅

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I have both a Slaves to Darkness and Chaos Space Marine army and most of my gaming group also has Chaos in some form.  Let me the first to tell you horns on a Chaos worshiper's head is more common than hair.  A lot of people assume those horns are on the helmets.  Most of the time that isn't actually the case.  More often than not, the helmets have to be modified around the Chaos/Warp mutations.  Assuming what ever mutated the mortal didn't do the same to the armor.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I have been playing Chaos for quite a while my old friend, and I can tell you that we always have room for more giants! 😇

I am completely on board with you the Slaanesh stuff looks utterly fantastic, and I am really thinking about going all in on the line. My only hesitations are cost and the problematic portrayal of certain elements of Slaanesh in the lore... I think that GW is improving on this front and I like to develop my own fluff, but I still don't want to offend anyone with my little hobby. That said Slaanesh has always been favourite of the Chaos Gods followed closely by Tzeentch. Pleasure and Knowledge are a lot more enticing than War and Pestilence. 😅

And that's why you're the Neverchosen. Tzeentch second place... *angry rage-bird noises*

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Talas said:

Yeah, the title is unfortunate, but in the end, his arguments are what we already know: 40k is more restrictive and while the amount of effort and creativity could be the same, AoS is just way more open to big changes and crazy ideas.

Irony was 40k used to be that way but now they've defined so much people seem fairly rigid in what they allow to be defined.