The Rumour Thread

I know it's off topic a bit but I couldn't agree more re: 40k. I dipped my toe in briefly during 3rd edition and even then things were too Space Marine focused for me. Now it's far worse, and despite the pressure I get from friends that play 40k I'm just not even tempted really. There are certain releases that could potentially interest me (Necrons were one), but then I just remember the faction release imbalance and that's that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Talas said:

Not a rumor per se, but am I the only one starting to see a lot of AoS content coming from 40k YouTubers?

Just today, I saw this video comparing the creativity between AoS and 40k and found it quite interesting.

it seemed so click-bait-y of a title so I skipped it.  Is it good?  

About a year or two ago GW split the design studio into two dedicated groups.  I would be surprised to see AoS get more.  40k sells so give it its due.  But focus on bringing AoS  up to speed and don't neglect it.  

31 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

About a year or two ago GW split the design studio into two dedicated groups.  I would be surprised to see AoS get more.  40k sells so give it its due.  But focus on bringing AoS  up to speed and don't neglect it.  

Yeah, the title is unfortunate, but in the end, his arguments are what we already know: 40k is more restrictive and while the amount of effort and creativity could be the same, AoS is just way more open to big changes and crazy ideas.

Edited by Talas
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Talas said:

Yeah, the title is unfortunate, but in the end, his arguments are what we already know: 40k is more restrictive and while the amount of effort and creativity could be the same, AoS is just way more open to big changes and crazy ideas.

Yeah I get the sense (and maybe I’m being overly optimistic here) that the6 are trying to freshen up 40k. The new Necrons look really interesting, but then as he mentions , the new Banshees( whilst beautifully designed) are essentially the same models I collected 20 + years ago when they first came out. Part of that is the fan base not wanting change- I argued with other players about new weapon variants but they were dead against it. I find eldar pretty dull now, still love my Nids as there is more scope I think for conversions and kit bashes. 
AoS seems so fresh (because it’s new) I love my flying dwarfs and I’ve collected dwarfs for years and the Kurnothi have really grabbed my attention too were in converting my own additions to the war band . Even the factions I don’t collect make the setting look so fun and interesting. Of the course the drawback is the model ranges don’t have as much depth as the 40k or old fantasy ranges did, but if/when they do that might make AoS a bit more design fixed.. 

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

His channel pumps out a lot of content, most of it 40K related (though he's recently been adding more AoS), and some of it you can tell is semi-filler (as in "boy, I need to keep things going with something) but still enjoyable, but he's not ad heavy or aggressive, so he's one of the few I return to with regularity. Definitely worth checking out. Oh, and he's one of the very, very few YouTubers who understand that their intro titles don't need to be 20 seconds long. Brief is better and he nails it.

Side note -

@TwiceIfILikeIt and I enjoy that channel for providing one of our favorite drinking games. Every time he says "to be honest" or "if I'm being honest" or the like, it's time for a shot. Sometimes a 7 minute video is enough to empty a bottle of Jack. 😉

• Like 2

I really love how AOS is spicing things up all the time even with older armies getting complete updates sometimes .Really appreciated the visual move from generic fantasy to more unique flavors for their models and lore.  Just wish every old army got the Gloomspite treatment like Slaven and Seraphon. 

Really hope we see more Sylvaneth/Kurnothi in the future too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, silverstu said:

I think its Eldar Exodites- that looks like armour over the top of its head /nose- maybe a rune across the top?

I told myself I'd start 40k when the Genestealers got their own army, and then they did. But I never followed through.

I told myself I'd start 40k when the Orkz got an 8th edition update, and then they did. But I never followed through.

I told myself I'd start 40k when the Sisters of Battle got plastic miniatures, and then they did. But I never followed through.

At the beginning of this year, I told myself I'd start 40k when the Exodites finally became their own army.

Dear Eldar players: You're welcome.

Spoiler

P.S. Where should I move the goalpost to next?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I got into tabletop gaming because I saw Tyranids in a display shelf as we passed a mall store's Games Workshop as a kid. That was at the eve of 3E when Tau still didn't exist, but I walked out with a single metal Ravener and some glue and paints. 

I've since moved to Sigmar while very much preferring both its aesthetic and list building simplicities. But let's not kid ourselves here; Space Marines get releases because have you guys actually looked at 40k? Complaining about their popularity would be like throwing your arms up in disbelief that the Halo series favors Spartans. 

I don't like seeing people exclude themselves from a hobby for nonsensical reasons. The same community lambasting 40k for these faults will unironically tell new players "the meta doesn't matter, pick the army you think is coolest!" As if new players choosing Skaven or Seraphon won't encounter the pain of Eldar players and 20 year old sculpts. Or those that choose Fyreslayers aren't about to enter a model range as neglected and narrow as Harlequins. 

If you don't like the crunch of list building, the aesthetic, the community, or the heavier emphasis on shooting, these are all perfectly legitimate reasons. But "lol blue marine release go brrrr" is a bad reason to potentially rob yourself of fun and you should feel bad. 

Can't help but wonder if these same players keep themselves up at night asking "Why can't I convince more people to give Age of Sigmar a shot?!"

Edit: Eh this all sounded saltier than usual. The TL;DR is if you have friends trying to get you into 40k, do yourself a favor and ask them for help building a 500 point list, or even a Kill Team squad if they play that. Chances are they can be convinced to snag an Age of Sigmar start collecting as a show of good faith. If I hadn't been willing to give Sigmar a shot despite having already dug my heels into 40k, I wouldn't have my Idoneth, DoK, or Bonereapers which I adore. 

Edited by Nasrod
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, Popisdead said:

The title is slightly misleading, he mostly talks about how it's easier for you to be creative in AoS. For example, he talks about how, sure, you can make your own Space Marine chapter, but the setting still restricts how much you can do with them fairly heavily. By contrast, AoS is a lot more open, and the Mortal Realms are so huge that a lot of weird stuff is completely acceptable. There is this sense that you have to stick with what has been mentioned to exist in 40k (somewhat), while in AoS you can feel free to invent stuff that has not been mentioned anywhere.

And that's definitely true. It's fairly easy to see that GW set up the Mortal Realms specifically to allow players to be creative with their dudes and their lore. I would say that GW definitely recognized how the very defined and mapped out world of Warhammer Fantasy and 40k made it hard to for those that enjoy putting their own spin on things to do so.  This is also reflected in the complaints you get from a lot of people who like the Fantasy world better: That AoS has no lore. But this is by design. It's done so that you can tell whatever story you want with your army.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:18 AM, Irvy said:

UK stores back open today! Can't wait to pop in for some 'paint'...

Does anyone know if we can get the November coin/how that will work now we are in December?

According to my store in London they are going to receive the coins only on Saturday so until then they cannot sell them because they can’t scan them. You will need to spend 120£ to get both coins.

So happy shopping if you are into it :) btw, the paint offer brings you already at around 30£ if you are missing some colours so it would not be too much of a stretch to get the other 30£ in miniatures...

4 hours ago, Nasrod said:

I got into tabletop gaming because I saw Tyranids in a display shelf as we passed a mall store's Games Workshop as a kid. That was at the eve of 3E when Tau still didn't exist, but I walked out with a single metal Ravener and some glue and paints. 

I've since moved to Sigmar while very much preferring both its aesthetic and list building simplicities. But let's not kid ourselves here; Space Marines get releases because have you guys actually looked at 40k? Complaining about their popularity would be like throwing your arms up in disbelief that the Halo series favors Spartans. 

I don't like seeing people exclude themselves from a hobby for nonsensical reasons. The same community lambasting 40k for these faults will unironically tell new players "the meta doesn't matter, pick the army you think is coolest!" As if new players choosing Skaven or Seraphon won't encounter the pain of Eldar players and 20 year old sculpts. Or those that choose Fyreslayers aren't about to enter a model range as neglected and narrow as Harlequins. 

If you don't like the crunch of list building, the aesthetic, the community, or the heavier emphasis on shooting, these are all perfectly legitimate reasons. But "lol blue marine release go brrrr" is a bad reason to potentially rob yourself of fun and you should feel bad. 

Can't help but wonder if these same players keep themselves up at night asking "Why can't I convince more people to give Age of Sigmar a shot?!"

Edit: Eh this all sounded saltier than usual. The TL;DR is if you have friends trying to get you into 40k, do yourself a favor and ask them for help building a 500 point list, or even a Kill Team squad if they play that. Chances are they can be convinced to snag an Age of Sigmar start collecting as a show of good faith. If I hadn't been willing to give Sigmar a shot despite having already dug my heels into 40k, I wouldn't have my Idoneth, DoK, or Bonereapers which I adore. 

While you're right that AoS suffers from some of the same issues as 40k (especially outdated models from Fantasy), as someone who has played 40k (and liked the list building side of it), the reason I stopped playing was because of the slew of Space Marine releases. I played Chaos Knights and a little bit of Emperor's Children (because a true mortal Slaanesh army isn't possible without space marines in some capacity). 

It was very difficult to get excited for new lore, models, or extra bits because I had no interest in Space Marines. If you do - great, 40k could be perfect. But as someone who has no interest, it's not appealing. It wasn't that all releases were Space Marines, just that most of them were and I personally think they look bland and repetitive. Even though I have no interest in Sons of Behemat, for example, I was excited to see them come out because they're different. 

I'd say the exact same if Stormcast (or any army) made up that proportion of releases, lore, and extra bits. I didn't like how they got the lion's share of releases in the beginning of AoS, but the great thing is that's calmed down and other armies have had the chance to flourish in the lore and in models without any interaction from Stormcast (e.g. the main conflict atm is Aelves vs Slaanesh).  

So to sum up, I did stop playing 40k because I was sick of Space Marines and couldn't get excited for new releases and lore developments. Not liking Space Marines in 40k feels like not liking the main character of a book (but maybe liking a side character that comes up occasionally and the setting), you have to wonder when you should put the book down.  

Sorry if this seems a bit ranty - it's not meant to be - I just wanted to provide a counter to your point that 'space marine bad' isn't a reason people leave 40k :)

• Like 6